WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you have cable?
  • 58.4% - Yes 1210
  • 28% - No 580
  • 13.7% - Only the kind that ties things down 283
2073 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ltf217

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltf217

Unfortunately, we do have cable (aka TV crack).

Does anybody else remember when one of the benefits of cable was no commercials? Now you even have to watch commercials during the on demand programs.

Total rip-off...Considering going the on-line route.

linrey

quality posts: 4 Private Messages linrey

I hope you didn't intend to lump satellite with cable, because it isn't.

It would take a really long cable...

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

We have satellite, but only because my homebound mother wants it. If I have an hour every other weekend for TV, it's a miracle.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

thurin

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thurin

The secret to peaceful coexistence with cable is to DVR everything and skip thru the commercials on replay. Sportcasts are the exception to this rule but at least you are not sitting in the stadium wondering what the delay on the field is when the commercials are on.

finzup

quality posts: 2 Private Messages finzup

no cable.. we have da hoppa!

I've noticed that some people list all their woot purchases in their signature. Me? No way, no how. I don't even want to acknowledge to myself, much less anyone else, just how much $$ I've spent on woot crap since 2006.

laumaki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laumaki

No cable here, just me and my Roku!

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

Haven't had cable or satellite for many years and don't feel like I've missed out on anything. If there's a series that I want to see, there are ways to see it or I buy the DVD's. Still WAY cheaper than $60+ for basic, a month. And from what I see of cable TV, half of it is infomercial channels or "reality" TV.

Yeah, I'll pass....and spend all my money saved on Woot!

jtmacc99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jtmacc99

I love TV way too much to live without it.

msgitlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msgitlin

Over-The-Air TV with Windows Media Center & XBox 360 extender.

Now we have a no-subscription DVR to skip all the commercials, and only watch the shows we want.

Now I just check Woot in all the extra time I would have wasted...

knn7496

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knn7496

Trick question! I have cable for internet access which of course allows for watch Netflix and other "TV" - BUT for TV I have satelitte.

blzben

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blzben

Nope. Just "Rabbit Ears", a PS3, and books, books, books.

alabamalimabeans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alabamalimabeans

I have cable internet, but no cable TV. Internet apps and antenna all the way!

grover51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grover51

Comcast sucks so I have DirecTV.

mergcon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mergcon

I didn't have cable for years but I got a call from comcast saying I could have free HBO for 2 years and faster internet if I paid 5 more dollars a month. Why not?

robgnts5611

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robgnts5611

I want to sooo get rid of CABLE corruption.
We have an older gentleman living with us and he CANNOT live with out it. Other wise "goodbye" cable. There has to be a better way ?

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

Only cable internet. Canceled TV a few months ago and never looked back.

With AppleTV (or competitor like Roku, etc.) and a good (20Mbps+) net connection there is very little need for cable/satellite. Especially if you don't mind pirating shows unavailable through avenues like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and the like.

imscience

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imscience

Kind of pointless without a tv. Got smartphone, though.

wearemany

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wearemany

Why would anyone use cable in the age of The internet.

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

For another 4 months then Buh-bye!

JussaIrish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JussaIrish
groberts1980 wrote:Especially if you don't mind pirating shows unavailable through avenues like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and the like.

This is like saying that one does not have to work for a living as long as they do not mind stealing money and food from others.

jeffredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeffredo

Unfortunately I have Comcast. Very tired of the price and the crap, compressed signal. I'm seriously considering putting an HD antenna on top of the house with a rotor box. While I might not get all the channels of cable, most of those are repetitive crap or Spanish. It would be satisfying to pull in uncompressed HD channels for free.