WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

From football, baseball, and basketball to mothballs: some of these sports team mascots were discontinued because they disturbed our changing social sensibilities - others because they were simply disturbing. Can you name these much-loved, much-hated icons of simpler, in some cases stupider times?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

Yes, The Trivial Eye is always this much fun, but usually without this much racial discomfort.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

1. Colonel Reb - "Ole Miss" Rebels (now Black Bears)
2. ??? - Numerous teams have dropped Indians as mascots, but I don't recognize this one. It's not Chief Illiniwek (Illinois); it's not Arkansas State; it's not Stanford (see #8)
3. ??? - I would have guessed that was a "Potomac Cannon" (who are now the Potomac Nationals), but that is obviously a hockey game
4. Lady Met or Mrs. Met- New York Mets
5. "Screaming Savage" - Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves (some people refer to this as Chief Noc-A-Homa, but that was the name of the actual mascot who "resided" in a tepee among the bleachers)
6. Hip Hop (was that his name?) - Philadelphia 76ers
7. Bonnie Brewer - Milwaukee Brewers
8. Indian (don't think there was a specific name) - Stanford University Indians (now Cardinal)

jdy98p

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdy98p

#2 is the late logo of the University of North Dakota (UND) Fighting Sioux. Designed by a Sioux native, used all over the school and hockey complex, and now ousted as a minority of students/facility claim that "Fighting Sioux" as a nickname created a "hostile and abusive" environment. The Sioux nations largely were OK with the name, but the Sioux COUNSEL overruled the popular vote and asked for the logo and name to be removed. It's been a recurring issue for over 25 years. And now it's over.

It was only a great name and sports logo for a school that teaches and supports more native americans than most, but I'm not bitter...

murphwm0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages murphwm0

#3 Would be "Boomer the Cannon" for the Columbus Blue Jackets, and I'm pretty sure that #2 is North Dakota's old mascot. They were the Fighting Sioux.

HomerTime wrote:1. Colonel Reb - "Ole Miss" Rebels (now Black Bears)
2. ??? - Numerous teams have dropped Indians as mascots, but I don't recognize this one. It's not Chief Illiniwek (Illinois); it's not Arkansas State; it's not Stanford (see #8)
3. ??? - I would have guessed that was a "Potomac Cannon" (who are now the Potomac Nationals), but that is obviously a hockey game
4. Lady Met or Mrs. Met- New York Mets
5. "Screaming Savage" - Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves (some people refer to this as Chief Noc-A-Homa, but that was the name of the actual mascot who "resided" in a tepee among the bleachers)
6. Hip Hop (was that his name?) - Philadelphia 76ers
7. Bonnie Brewer - Milwaukee Brewers
8. Indian (don't think there was a specific name) - Stanford University Indians (now Cardinal)

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

What? No Crazy Crab? He is the best ex-mascot of all time. Unfortunately, I can't find the Giants commercial where manager Frank Robinson has to be restrained from pounding him. You'll have to settle for his triumphant return at Pac Bell Park in July 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE8HrM1TTWw

metallicaidiot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metallicaidiot

Only one I'm sure of is #6 (Hip Hop, formerly of the Philadelphia 76ers)

• 01/27/08: Motorola H500 Bluetooth Headset
  • 12/05/07: Altec Lansing M604 Powered Audio System for Zune
  • 11/12/07: Microsoft Zune 30GB Digital Media Player (2)
  • 10/16/07: Jabra BT-350 Bluetooth Headset 2 Pack
  • 02/01/07: Polaroid 7” Two Screen Car DVD Player w/ Game Controller & Built-in Games
  • 01/31/07: Logitech Wireless USB Music System for PC
  • 01/30/07: Netgear 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
  • 02/13/06: Western Digital Caviar 250GB Hard Drive (2)

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser

Mrs. Met is still seen on occasion. There was an ESPN commercial within the last several years that had her in it.

http://youtu.be/rSnmOxUkZFE

cscherer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cscherer

#3 is so old he's in what looks to be a wheel chair! C'mon America....have a heart!