4%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

Maybe I am missing it, anybody know the model?

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

atomo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atomo
lichme wrote:Maybe I am missing it, anybody know the model?

From specs tab:

ZMD-DD-SAN8 8CH DVR
(4) ZMD-CNR-BBS23NM (CM-N22623BG)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3903 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Overview (with additional pictures) over at zmododirecrt.com

[MOD: Note that our set has 4 cameras; the set linked here has 8 cameras]

Kankennon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kankennon

Worried about robbers coming to steal your limited collector's edition of Woot-opoly you picked up yesterday? Quick! Order this then! They'll only arrive a day apart, so all you'll need to do is carry around your Woot-opoly for a mere 24 hours before you'll be covered by this magnificent security system. You're welcome!

Gotterdammerung30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gotterdammerung30

Easily the most cost-effective way of proving that your neighbor is, indeed, coming into your house while you are sleeping and rearranging your furniture, stealing some of your least valuable things, and harassing your pets.

fdrstrat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdrstrat

What is the difference between this model and the "Full D1" model?

fdrstrat

fdrstrat wrote:What is the difference between this model and the "Full D1" model?

Aha, I found the answer to my question. It is the resolution of video, and this model has it:

704x480 (NTSC)
704x576 (PAL)

fdrstrat

I'm going to get these so perhaps law enforcement can do something about the dog owners who don't clean up.

bobblick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobblick

I have a feeling the "56 fps @ D1 resolution" is split among all the cameras. So with 4 cameras you get 14 fps and with 8 cameras you only get 7 fps. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

darenhandy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darenhandy

You get what you pay for... Purchased 3 new units last year and each unit failed before 8months of use. Two I didn't get a replacement as I installed them 4 months later than the first one. I was a week out of warranty and they said to purchase new ones. The new replacement is covered under the first warranty so when I received it at my door the warranty had already expired. Just my experience. Wouldn't have said anything if it were just one unit but all three? Three different locations in air conditioning room that is well ventilated as the units did not come with any internal fans. Just the hard drive creates enough heat to ruin a motherboard in a pc.

najamzahir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages najamzahir

Can I change the cameras to 700TVL? Will the DVR support the higher resolution?

bushy8

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bushy8

I have purchased every security system Woot has sold for the past year.

Now my house is protected by 1123 cameras.

3rdnfnlbst

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 3rdnfnlbst

Don't waste your $. Zmodo is the biggest piece of crap. Their DVR died just over a year old and I contacted hem about having it fixed/replaced. They told me it was under warranty and I mailed it to them on my own dime. Then I never heard anything for 3 weeks. I called them bad asked what was going on. They told me it was no longer under warranty and would not fix it. I asked why it wasn't under warranty after they got it and they said they messed up telling me it was under warranty. Then I even went a step further and asked if I could pay to have it fixed/replaced. Nope they flat out just said No. No explanation, nothing. They mailed me back my broken DVR and that was it. By the way, just incase your wondering, it was not the HD. I pulled the drive out of the unit, and the DVR was just frozen. Won't boot up with a solid red light of the HDD lit.

No thanks zmodo, keep your piece of Yellow Brick Road.

bodsford

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bodsford

I have a few of the zmodo systems installed... One very similar to this and one of their older models. The Sony Ccd cameras bundled with this are surprisingly good, especially when compared to the CMOS cameras they often bundle. Other than the web front-end requiring IE to view I have been very happy with them. I use the zmodo app on android and IOS as well. The apps have some quirks and are only useful for viewing live streams but for free no complaints. You would be surprised what goes on when you aren't home - mailmen who sling your packages, kids that use your driveway as a racing strip, and other mysteries solved with a Zmodo DVR!

jijacob

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jijacob
najamzahir wrote:Can I change the cameras to 700TVL? Will the DVR support the higher resolution?

Nope, still stuck at 420 lines or whatever this is listed at. However, the higher resolution will still look clearer, and probably looks significantly better at night. I bought the 600 line cameras at monoprice.com with my zmodo unit and noticed significant improvement of the color, contrast, and night clarity. These do not have an IR shield during the day so it really screws the colors up (which is really not THAT big of a deal).

N6VMO

quality posts: 2 Private Messages N6VMO

Analog video security systems are dinosaurs, get an IP based camera and system. If your going to have to run cables, as you would with this Zmodo system, you might as well run CAT-5/6 ethernet cable. The IP based cameras are powered by and send digital video over the single ethernet cable.

tmvijai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmvijai
N6VMO wrote:Analog video security systems are dinosaurs, get an IP based camera and system. If your going to have to run cables, as you would with this Zmodo system, you might as well run CAT-5/6 ethernet cable. The IP based cameras are powered by and send digital video over the single ethernet cable.

I have cat5 run in my new home and trying find the right suitable camera package to install. Is IP camera's only solution or can I use this analog camera's with BNC and so forth. Anyone?

sulakdd

quality posts: 13 Private Messages sulakdd
bodsford wrote:I have a few of the zmodo systems installed... One very similar to this and one of their older models. The Sony Ccd cameras bundled with this are surprisingly good, especially when compared to the CMOS cameras they often bundle. Other than the web front-end requiring IE to view I have been very happy with them. I use the zmodo app on android and IOS as well. The apps have some quirks and are only useful for viewing live streams but for free no complaints. You would be surprised what goes on when you aren't home - mailmen who sling your packages, kids that use your driveway as a racing strip, and other mysteries solved with a Zmodo DVR!

When you say IE is required, does that mean I can't use my phone's browser to view streaming video from these? (android phone)

BanjoMan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BanjoMan

Too bad Zmodo does not support MAC. You must use IE to monitor your cameras, or plug a monitor into the DVR.

jmsmits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmsmits
N6VMO wrote:Analog video security systems are dinosaurs, get an IP based camera and system. If your going to have to run cables, as you would with this Zmodo system, you might as well run CAT-5/6 ethernet cable. The IP based cameras are powered by and send digital video over the single ethernet cable.

I agree - to a certain extent. I have both - IP and CCTV. The thing I like about my CCTV system is that when the power goes out, I keep recording (with a beefy UPS). You can record IP cameras, but (usually) for a fee, and you're dependent upon router, modem and external site being powered in order to record. If recording is not your concern and you just want to watch live video, go with IP. But if you want to be able to record and play back later (and hand to the cops when your porch furniture was stolen, for example) go with CCTV.

I don't have experience with this model, but in general: expect to have to upgrade the cameras. And don't expect HD. Or anything close.

KMarshall1024

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KMarshall1024

Hopefully this is better than the 8-camera Zmodo system I bought last year. The software is absolute garbage. The thing that really disappointed me is that you can only watch the video over the Internet by installing an ActiveX plugin and watching everything in IE. That's a problem since I use Linux at work all day. The site it serves is buggy and not very intuitive anyway. I couldn't get the Android app to work at all either. I tried the one from their site and another from the Play Store. Couldn't get either working, even with manual settings on the same network as the DVR. Funny how they link their files off their website to a Dropbox account.

I've been a Linux admin for a few years now, and this system even frustrates me. The documentation is lacking a lot of actual useful information. There are multiple spots that require authentication, and none of the credentials come from the same place. I don't believe you can use strong passwords either.

My Zmodo DVR was a bad investment. I might make my own and reuse the cameras, or try hacking this one and putting a different Linux distro on it.

gsinn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsinn
bushy8 wrote:I have purchased every security system Woot has sold for the past year.

An odd number of cams? Now I know your fibbing.

rjerryc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjerryc
sulakdd wrote:When you say IE is required, does that mean I can't use my phone's browser to view streaming video from these? (android phone)

This system will work with other than IE. I watch my cams on my Kindle fire as well as on my PC without using IE at all.

mkeith53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkeith53
rjerryc wrote:This system will work with other than IE. I watch my cams on my Kindle fire as well as on my PC without using IE at all.

HOW DID YOU HOOK YOUR KINDLE FIRE UP TO IT???

najamzahir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages najamzahir
jijacob wrote:Nope, still stuck at 420 lines or whatever this is listed at. However, the higher resolution will still look clearer, and probably looks significantly better at night. I bought the 600 line cameras at monoprice.com with my zmodo unit and noticed significant improvement of the color, contrast, and night clarity. These do not have an IR shield during the day so it really screws the colors up (which is really not THAT big of a deal).

Thanks for your feedback.

Th0r

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Th0r

These have a security flaw. If it is on the internet I can get the list of users and passwords.

If you want me to prove it, PM me your IP address and port number.

https://community.rapid7.com/community/metasploit/blog/2013/01/28/ray-sharp-cctv-dvr-password-retrieval-remote-root

sshott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sshott

This kit gives you some good options for those wanting a starter security system: Comes with, or without a hard drive... 4 Wide angle cameras (allowing you to upgrade to PTZ, normal 6mm, or just more wide angle's). The cameras that come with the system are, well, just OK. Because they are wide view, they are trying to pack a wide area view into a low resolution sensor... therefore the video is pixelated and fuzzy. Color rendition is better than acceptable in daylight. With the additional 4 outlets available, I'd consider a couple 6mm or higher quality (hence more expensive) cameras. Combine these with a Zmodo PTZ dome (with or without the "Z"- zoom feature), and several normal-angle cameras, you'd have a fairly sophisticated DIY surveillance system.

About the Zmodo quality... I purchased a 4-camera system from Woot a year and a half ago and it went out after 13 months. I contacted Zmodo and they said to RMA return it and they would (still) cover it under warranty. They did, however, attempt to later disqualify it, but I buttered up my contact and treated him as my "agent" and not as the opposition and they sent me a new box and remote. They were very responsive, helpful and easy to work with.

The cameras do have IR night vision, but it's only good over about 25' effective distances with a view of an area with "reflective" qualities (doors, walls, ceiling, deck, sidewalk, etc.) If you try to use them to view your open yard, the only thing you will see will be a blob of light since the IR LED's are concentrated on a spot and are not dispersed over the camera's full width. I've found others that have better IR dispersion on Amazon. You will probably be able to recognize people you already know with these but using them to identity pilferers out 20' or more will be next to impossible (due to the wide angle, 3.6mm lens). Wide angle is great for surveillance, but not identification and details.

You can use these with Cat5 wiring if you purchase balun to Cat5 connectors. I've done this on one camera and I can't discern a difference. One other thing... before you install any camera outside in the elements, tighten the lens ring by hand. They are notoriously loose from the factory. If using them from the inside to view the outside through a window at night, unhook the IR ring from power by removing the lens ring and unscrewing the 2 small screws and detaching the 2-wire connector. As an FYI, Woot had a First Alert 8-camera system at the beginning of the year I picked up. I now use this as my primary surveillance system. I'm planning on using my old Zmodo- 4-cam as a hidden, redundant, system monitoring my First Alert 8 camera box, and other inside strategic access points--- which will capture anyone attempting to disable, or remove it once I get a hard drive configured for it.

A fair deal at a buck-thirty if you have a spare HD lying around... gives you something to work with right out of the box, yet upgradable and expandable.

Th0r

If you have an Android device you can use "IP Cam Viewer" by Robert Chou to access live feeds. It works really well. Even over the Internet. But I stopped Internet access because of the security issues.

Th0r

bushy8 wrote:I have purchased every security system Woot has sold for the past year.

lol If someone breaks in it will take you a month to view all the video!

Th0r

Th0r wrote:These have a security flaw. If it is on the internet I can get the list of users and passwords.

If you want me to prove it, PM me your IP address and port number.

https://community.rapid7.com/community/metasploit/blog/2013/01/28/ray-sharp-cctv-dvr-password-retrieval-remote-root

I did tell Zmodo about this and this was their response:
I do apologize for the inconvenience. We are aware of the security issue and have no firmwares to correct that as of yet. The best recommendation I could suggest for now, would be to change your media and web ports to a different set of numbers besides 80 and 9000.

mlwasson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlwasson

The back panel of the unit shown does not line up with the specs. It also does not look like the back of any unit found on the zmodo site. There aren't enough BNC recepticles to line up with the specs (8 camera in, 1 video out, 1 audio out). According to the specs there should be 10 BNC's. The back of the unit in the woot pic only shows 9. I hope the back matches the ones on the zmodo site more than the one pictured here. I currently have a 4-camera zmodo set up and it's been flawless. Want to increase to 8, so this is the ticket, as long as the back truly refelcts what the specs say!

mlwasson

I use vMEye on my iPhone and it works great, too. As for security issues, if you're not using standard port numbers, it isn't as easy, and in my case, all of my cameras are on the exterior of the house, so I've got nothing to hide if someone manages to get in to the system. I've got enough security other than the cameras, so more power to someone trying be that sophisticated as to hack in to my IP and find the port number. They'd still need to get past the actual security system to get in to the house without all kinds of alarms going off.

Th0r wrote:If you have an Android device you can use "IP Cam Viewer" by Robert Chou to access live feeds. It works really well. Even over the Internet. But I stopped Internet access because of the security issues.

mlwasson

In 2011, I bought one for me, one for my parents and one for my in-laws and all work perfect.All came without HD, and I installed 1tb in to all three. No problems so far. Sorry your's haven't worked out so well.

darenhandy wrote:You get what you pay for... Purchased 3 new units last year and each unit failed before 8months of use. Two I didn't get a replacement as I installed them 4 months later than the first one. I was a week out of warranty and they said to purchase new ones. The new replacement is covered under the first warranty so when I received it at my door the warranty had already expired. Just my experience. Wouldn't have said anything if it were just one unit but all three? Three different locations in air conditioning room that is well ventilated as the units did not come with any internal fans. Just the hard drive creates enough heat to ruin a motherboard in a pc.

leahsturm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leahsturm

Could I easily view a single camera from my iPhone using an app? I really want a system to monitor who is at my front door. Recording is nice, but just knowing who is there is the most important. Is this product for me?

mlwasson

With the vMEye app, I can select any of the cameras for viewing from my phone. In addition, I have my main camera set up with motion sensing (and one can dictate how sensitive it is, and select zones for it so the whole camera view isn't triggered, but instead just a small patch of it). With this, I have an email sent to me with a snapshot of whatever it is that breaks the field on the motion sensor. Sometimes I get pics with nothing in it, but for the most part, it works well. I know every time someone gets near my front door.
Overall, my current 4 camera system works well enough that I'll delve in to adding 4 cameras with this woot. Word of caution, however, is that if you have no means to run cable, then don't bother. Luckily I've got a newer home that has direct paths to the attic, and from there I can run the cable to wherever I need it for the cameras.

leahsturm wrote:Could I easily view a single camera from my iPhone using an app? I really want a system to monitor who is at my front door. Recording is nice, but just knowing who is there is the most important. Is this product for me?

Chmarr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chmarr
mlwasson wrote:The back panel of the unit shown does not line up with the specs. It also does not look like the back of any unit found on the zmodo site. There aren't enough BNC recepticles to line up with the specs (8 camera in, 1 video out, 1 audio out). According to the specs there should be 10 BNC's. The back of the unit in the woot pic only shows 9. I hope the back matches the ones on the zmodo site more than the one pictured here. I currently have a 4-camera zmodo set up and it's been flawless. Want to increase to 8, so this is the ticket, as long as the back truly refelcts what the specs say!

8 video in + 1 video out = 9 bnc connectors, all visible on the picture

8 audio in + 1 audio out = 9 rca connectors, all visible on the picture

what is the problem here?

johnvassel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages johnvassel

While true, a system like that would start at 10 times what this is selling for. And offer no true advantage to a home owner. Better resolution, but if you're not piping it off sight, there's no gain.

Woots so far
  • 3 B*O*C's
  • 2 Leak Frogs
  • 3 Screaming monkeys v2 (green)
  • bunch of other stuff that I just bought while waiting for these listed items

N6VMO

quality posts: 2 Private Messages N6VMO
johnvassel wrote:While true, a system like that would start at 10 times what this is selling for. And offer no true advantage to a home owner. Better resolution, but if you're not piping it off sight, there's no gain.

Four outdoor HD 720p IP cameras will run you about $500. Using your PC to configure the cameras and pipe your video to your website via FTP cost me about $39/year. So, for about twice as much, you can get a much superior security camera system by going IP.

taitrt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages taitrt

IP systems are still very costly. Best option is to run CAT-5 and use an analog system with bnc balunsuntil IP systems come down a reasonable price.

I had my house prewired with Cat5e and the baluns work perfectly. I even decided that I wanted 2 cameras at one of the pre-wire locations and was able to just split the power and run one video over the bnc video channel and one video over the audio channel. Both come through crystal clear.