Some test footage

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

pcmag.com gave this a "fair" review

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

If you are wooting from Moscow,
the following review is for you !
If you are not from Moscow, it's worth watching just to check out the guy's shirt and groove to the funky electronica beat.

btalarczyk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages btalarczyk

ok, is it just me or does anyone else not see the video's or whatever posted by lichme and ceagee?

Either I'm drunk off of too much gas station coffee, my computer is on the fritz again, or I made a poor decision choosing to upgrade to IE10!

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig

Software Requirements: Mac: OS X 10.4.10.6 or later

I must have missed that version...

Rozie13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Rozie13

If I read this correctly - no SD card included??

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee
btalarczyk wrote:ok, is it just me or does anyone else not see the video's or whatever posted by lichme and ceagee?

Either I'm drunk off of too much gas station coffee, my computer is on the fritz again, or I made a poor decision choosing to upgrade to IE10!

I can see what we both posted. hmmmm. must be you ?
Here is link to click to see it.

rocque

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rocque
lichme wrote:Some test footage

I watched the review, and decided to wait for something better. Thanks for sharing the Videos.

d4tonyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d4tonyd

I purchased a refurb Kodak PS on Woot a few years ago. It ate batteries. I gave it away. The person I gave it to also gave it away.

Pictures were acceptable for an inexpensive camera, but battery consumption was a BIG problem.

Ill By N E Thing

sflesch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sflesch

Have it. Love it. There's even a website that re-enable some of the features Kodak disabled with their favorite software. Something like Kodak Lovers or Fans or something.

I use the Xtreme Enelopes with this camera and I am very happy with the camera. I just wish I knew more on how to take better pix.

Any poor pictures I take I can easily take claim for. I highly recommend this camera, especially at this price. If you have any doubts, you can always Square Trade it!

Disclaimer: Not trying to advertise for anyone. Just some items that compliment this camera well.

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

mrequintina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrequintina

This seems to be the same camera that Zack Arias used in DigitalRev's 'Pro Photog, Cheap Camera Challenege'. Pretty darn nice results (albeit with a pretty gnarley speedlight)

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
Rozie13 wrote:If I read this correctly - no SD card included??

Camera companies have done this for years. Now they add a fair amount of internal memory. It's how they save a few bucks. They also figure many of us already have quite a few or will spend $5 for a card if needed.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

mrequintina wrote:This seems to be the same camera that Zack Arias used in DigitalRev's 'Pro Photog, Cheap Camera Challenege'. Pretty darn nice results (albeit with a pretty gnarley speedlight)

A good photographer, but essentially not a review of the camera, more an esoteric experiment to see if a cheap camera can fire an expensive flash!

radi0j0hn

Sadly, Kodak avoids printing the maximum (variable) aperture on the lens. My educated guess is that it spends most of it's time at 5.6 and some times at 4.5. OK for outdoors and flash snapshots, but NOT for the "gym photographer" out to catch an action basketball shot. Get the right tool for the job.

radi0j0hn

Hey Woot!, the MSRP is $79.95 not the $99.99 you list. Perhaps that is the MSRP for some "bundle." So the discount is not as good.

paulgraz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paulgraz

This is a good camera for the price. No it's not as good as your Nikon D3x, and if you expected that why are you here?

I bought this for my Mom last time it was on Woot. She's 86 and the last camera she was able to use was a Kodak Instamatic. I dropped in an older 2GB card that I had laying around. I showed her the basic functions and she's been thrilled that she can take pictures again and not have to wait for film to be developed.

If you want a good, easy to use camera for a Senior, get this. If you want a really, really good camera that does everything very well - you aint gonna find it for 50 bux!

jferry2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jferry2

I'd consider getting one, but my last Kodak product was a printer that stopped working after maybe a dozen pages. They refused to do the right thing and fix it, so I kindly let them know that I will make sure that the internet is aware of their lousy customer service. So, internet, now you know. And Kodak, I hope you are enjoying your well earned bankruptcy.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

What is a Kokak?

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

btalarczyk

btalarczyk wrote:ok, is it just me or does anyone else not see the video's or whatever posted by lichme and ceagee?

Ok, I did a little PC maintenance but I still do not see the posted videos. I am able to click on the link provided by ceagee in his/her later post.

This is a first not being able to see the imbedded videos. I do have all 3rd party cookies blocked and Java and Flash both set to not store or install any data on my local computer.

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into a help forum but I've had these settings configured for quite a while now. Only thing different is I installed IE10 a few days back. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue.

Edit: I am able to see everything just fine using firefox. Must be an issue with IE10.

btalarczyk

btalarczyk wrote:Ok, I did a little PC maintenance but I still do not see the posted videos. I am able to click on the link provided by ceagee in his/her later post.

This is a first not being able to see the imbedded videos. I do have all 3rd party cookies blocked and Java and Flash both set to not store or install any data on my local computer.

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into a help forum but I've had these settings configured for quite a while now. Only thing different is I installed IE10 a few days back. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue.

Edit: I am able to see everything just fine using firefox. Must be an issue with IE10.

P.S.- Just noticed that the advertisements on the side and bottom of the item page do not display in IE but they do display in firefox. Maybe EI10 isn't that bad after all!

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
sflesch wrote:Have it. Love it. There's even a website that re-enable some of the features Kodak disabled with their favorite software. Something like Kodak Lovers or Fans or something.

I use the Xtreme Enelopes with this camera and I am very happy with the camera. I just wish I knew more on how to take better pix.

Any poor pictures I take I can easily take claim for. I highly recommend this camera, especially at this price. If you have any doubts, you can always Square Trade it!

Disclaimer: Not trying to advertise for anyone. Just some items that compliment this camera well.

I have yet to see any Kodak take bad pictures. I own 2 of them along with my several Nikons (D-80, D-40 SLRs), Olympus and Canons. The only camera that I've ever purchased that took continuously poor pictures were Nikon point and shoots. Even the touch screen one that Ashton Kutcher was pushing a few years ago took awful pictures.
For this price I'd go for it if for at least taking it on a vacation that may risk loss or damage. It's is only 50 bucks.

Oh, and for not including an SD card? This keeps the price down. Any cameras that include an SD card will be a puny one at that and will just get replaced with a large one. Why should Kodak include something you will discard anyway?

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

cabrown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabrown

>>She's 86 and the last camera she was able to use was a Kodak Instamatic. I dropped in an older 2GB card that I had laying around. I showed her the basic functions and she's been thrilled that she can take pictures again and not have to wait for film to be developed.<<

Do you think it could be used one-handed? My husband, who is a film photographer, had a stroke and has lost the use of his left hand I'd love to get him something to get him back to taking photographs.

lemonflavor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lemonflavor
cabrown wrote:>>She's 86 and the last camera she was able to use was a Kodak Instamatic. I dropped in an older 2GB card that I had laying around. I showed her the basic functions and she's been thrilled that she can take pictures again and not have to wait for film to be developed.<<

Do you think it could be used one-handed? My husband, who is a film photographer, had a stroke and has lost the use of his left hand I'd love to get him something to get him back to taking photographs.

In the second video above, Zack Arias uses the camera one handed the whole time because he is holding the flash with his other hand. Since this camera is small and doesn't really have any controls, it looks like it would be very easy to do. I just hope he would like the quality if he has a discerning eye from being a film photographer.

gwbaker

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gwbaker
d4tonyd wrote:I purchased a refurb Kodak PS on Woot a few years ago. It ate batteries. I gave it away. The person I gave it to also gave it away.

Pictures were acceptable for an inexpensive camera, but battery consumption was a BIG problem.

I wonder if you made the same mistake a lot of other people and I did with these types of camera's and batteries.

This camera, among many others, require a high voltage rate at all times to work well. Normal alkaline batteries start to loose their voltage immediately in a down hill pattern (voltage levels seen on a graph). The camera will reject these fairly quickly as dead when they really are not. You can put them into something else and they will work just fine for quite a while.

The best batteries for this are the Ultimate Lithium batteries. These batts hold their high voltage through the life of the battery. Voltage levels on a graph look like a plateau that drops off a cliff once dead.

You will find that these batteries last MUCH longer in a camera like this and your most complaints about eating batteries quickly go away.

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

radi0j0hn

cabrown wrote:

Look into a rubbery elastic strap that would hold the camera against his chest when not in use, but not so tightly that he could not pull it up to take a shot. This way he could have the camera "mounted" on his chest while he uses his good hand to press buttons, etc.

You may have to rig up a cradle to attach to the bottom of the camera using a "quarter-twenty" bolt in the tripod socket and something on the ends for the strap. Wood will work and, if you are at all handy, it won't be expensive.

radi0j0hn

Couldn't find the Kodak lovers site mention by someone (sans URL), but I did find this:

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/kodakdigitalcameralovers/pool/interesting/

Kinda humbling.

omni4urheath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omni4urheath
d4tonyd wrote:I purchased a refurb Kodak PS on Woot a few years ago. It ate batteries. I gave it away. The person I gave it to also gave it away.

Battery consumption a problem??. HAVE YOU TRIED USING THE RECHARGABLE AA BATTERIES? BATTERY CONSUMPTION HAS NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM TO ME, AS THE RECHARGABLES AA'S SEEM TO LAST MUCH, MUCH, LONGER ON A SINGLE CHARGE THAN THE REGULAQR AA BATTERIES. I have A 12 MB KODAk AND HAVE HAD IT FOR YEARS. ONCE CHARGED, MY BATTERY never runS DOWN UNTIL WELL AFTER I FILL MY 2 gb SD CARD WITH PICTURES. One of the reasons that I use kodaks is that many of their cameras use AA batteries which one can get anywhere. There is nothing worse than being anywhere you want pictures and your battery dies (ANY battery can run out and die) BUT, lo and behold, CLOSEST (OR ONLY) kiosk, store, gift shop, does not carry any specialty batteries for cameras. BUT,,, ahhh, they ALWAYS, Always Always HAVE AA batteries. I KNOW AS MY WIFE HAS A KODAK 14 MEG THAT USES A SPECIALTY BATTERY. AND yes HER BATTERY HAS DIED ( iT'S RECHARGABLE and she had no means to recharge it on site) AND THERE WERE NO BATTERIES, OF HER TYPE, READILY AVAILABLE . AND yes SHE WAS UNABLE TO TAKE her OWN PICTURES . I also use rechargeable AA batteries and charge them before I go anywhere with my camera AND CARRY A SPARE SET. I CAN RECXHARGE THEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN, AND, DEPENDING ON USE, THEY LAST FOR OVER A YEAR OR MORE I Take pictures AT 12 meg and can fill the limited 2 gig SD memory card up, AND OFTEN GO THROUGH ANOTHER, before my RECHARGASBLE AA batteries drain. I also carry A SPARE SD MEMORY CARD AS WELL AS SPARE BATTERIES. SINCE MY CAMERA LACKS A VIEW FINDER IT IS HARD, OR IMPOSSIBLE, TO SEE WHAT YOU WANT IN THE VIEWER. SO CROPPING IS OFTEN A MUST TO GET RID OF UNWANTED SURROUNDINGS. I AM A POINT AND SHOOT PICTURE TAKER AND CANNOT COMMENT ON PROFESSIONAL QUALITY EXCEPT TO SAY THE PICTURES LOOK GOOD TO ME . SO MANY PICTURE PROGRAMS are so GREAT WITH CROPPING THAT I HAVE OFTEN CROPPED A tiny PORTION OF A PICTURE AND PRINTED IT ON 8 1/2 X 11 AND 5 X 6 WITH OUT SEEING ANY DIFFERENCE OR IT BEING GRAINY. Often, if there is any small printing in the picture, ( like on an aspirin bottle) it, too, is readable. tHE CAMERA IS GREAT AND YOU CANNOT BEAT THE PRICE.

cabrown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabrown

Thank you for the answers about one-handed use. I'm going to give it a try; I bought a hand grip from another site, and we'll see what happens. (I was going to say "develops" but that's outdated...)

I take pictures, my husband takes photographs. There's a difference.

Scooley01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Scooley01

There's a typo in the writeup ("Kokak" instead of "Kodak").

scottydl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scottydl

For anyone that owns this camera... when playing back recorded video (on the camera itself), does the camera have a built-in speaker that plays back the audio also? Or does the file have to be transferred to a computer for full playback?

My son with autism LOVES taking digital video and then watching it immediately. Having a camera with audio playback is ideal, but they are harder to find these days.

scottydl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scottydl

And for the record, here it is on Amazon, $68.99 new and overall positive reviews. As usual, the 1- & 2-star reviews sound like defective products or people that don't know how to use it... not the that camera is junk across the board.

cpa5oh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpa5oh

Anybody know if this can do wide lense video? (probably didn't use the right terminology - I mean where you can be up closer to the action and still get the full picture)

And does it have image stabilization? I've got friends with shaky hands and we video each other's shooting - none of the clips are longer than 30 seconds...

wakkywabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wakkywabbit

I cannot see either. I can hear audio but video is black.

wakkywabbit

I was having trouble with my high tech video cameras and uploading to the web. A lady friend, with red hair and a Kodak Easy Share, let me borrow her camera for the video review. I was really impressed with the little camera. The video was great, it uploaded and converted easily. She pointed out my Lumix would do the same (silly me never thought about shooting video with my camera).

So, WOOT has the Easy Share for $50. I grabbed the white version.

Honestly, this little camera did a great job with both pics and video.

wakkywabbit

cpa5oh wrote:Anybody know if this can do wide lense video? (probably didn't use the right terminology - I mean where you can be up closer to the action and still get the full picture)

And does it have image stabilization? I've got friends with shaky hands and we video each other's shooting - none of the clips are longer than 30 seconds...

It has both an optical zoom and digital zoom, although not great, the optical is only 3x. It also has a macro mode for close up in both pics and video.

sotonin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sotonin
Ringo4422 wrote:I have yet to see any Kodak take bad pictures. I own 2 of them along with my several Nikons (D-80, D-40 SLRs), Olympus and Canons. The only camera that I've ever purchased that took continuously poor pictures were Nikon point and shoots. Even the touch screen one that Ashton Kutcher was pushing a few years ago took awful pictures.
For this price I'd go for it if for at least taking it on a vacation that may risk loss or damage. It's is only 50 bucks.

Oh, and for not including an SD card? This keeps the price down. Any cameras that include an SD card will be a puny one at that and will just get replaced with a large one. Why should Kodak include something you will discard anyway?

Well your experience is exactly the opposite of mine. The worst camera i've ever owned was a kodak easy share camera i got on a black friday sale. Absolutely terrible, my 4mpixel super old canon blew it out of the water (and it was a 12mpixel kodak).

It's not the exact same model as this one as it's a few years old, but the experience has left me never again buying a kodak. stick with canon.

irishderby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irishderby

Where's the software? Nothing came with the camera. You can't use all the features without the advertised software.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

irishderby wrote:Where's the software? Nothing came with the camera. You can't use all the features without the advertised software.

Hook the camera up to your computer and see if it's installed on the camera.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders