paultramarine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paultramarine

I'd love to be able to pay for my woot purchases directly with bitcoin and I'd buy more if it were accepted.

Is woot considering adding it?

Other wooters, would you use it if available?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

You made me go look up the service, so... not me.

And after reading the Wiki article, I can confirm: DEFINATELY not me.

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007

I have purchased one item from a different website with bitcoins, but I can't imagine there is a lot of demand here to pay with the service since there is no real advantage to using it (credit cards offer fraud protection for example, bitcoins don't really).

chancecoats123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chancecoats123

I would use it if given the option. I haven't used the Woot deals for a while, but I love the shirts and would definitely be more inclined to purchase if BTC were an accepted payment.

In terms of "not offering any benefits", that's a bunch of hoo-ha. You need things like fraud protection on your CC because whenever you use it, you HAVE to give out all of the information required to charge the card. With BTC, all Woot would need is a shipping address from the customer, and to give the buyers a payment address. Then ~30 minutes later, a quickly redeemable (Bitinstant, Bitpay), 'anonymous', and secure payment has been made.

I would pay with BTC 1000+ times for every one time I have to pay with my CC if I could.

trev111t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trev111t
paultramarine wrote:

Other wooters, would you use it if available?

I have been a wooter since 2005, and would love to use bitcoins to purchase items.
Come on woot, you know you will end up accepting bitcoin in the future, take the leap!

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
chancecoats123 wrote:I would use it if given the option. I haven't used the Woot deals for a while, but I love the shirts and would definitely be more inclined to purchase if BTC were an accepted payment.

In terms of "not offering any benefits", that's a bunch of hoo-ha. You need things like fraud protection on your CC because whenever you use it, you HAVE to give out all of the information required to charge the card. With BTC, all Woot would need is a shipping address from the customer, and to give the buyers a payment address. Then ~30 minutes later, a quickly redeemable (Bitinstant, Bitpay), 'anonymous', and secure payment has been made.

I would pay with BTC 1000+ times for every one time I have to pay with my CC if I could.

Except when you want to return something, received something defective or really anything that needs post sale support, good luck then . Retailers are forced to work with customers otherwise they may get a charge back.

Or better yet, what happens when the retailer does not ship the product or ships something different? And don't forget the market rate for the bitcoins changes frequently so there is a chance you would end up with less money back.

In all honesty, the one purchase I made was a huge pain and I'm betting other people would think similarly especially since there is a certain amount of patience that is required.

Also keep in mind not everyone is as technical as you may think. Some people find it hard enough to purchase something online and reading a wiki page or website on how to get started can be daunting for some.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

no. nor do we accept narnian dollars or carnival tickets.

but hey, who can say what the future will bring?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

paultramarine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paultramarine
PemberDucky wrote:no. nor do we accept narnian dollars or carnival tickets.

I realize not everyone has time to learn about this stuff but I'm dismayed at getting a glib, uninformed response from staff. Bitcoin is not comparable to those, to say the least. For example, there are many companies that instantaneously transfer bitcoin to US dollars so that merchants don't have to touch it themselves (And I'm talking established, insured, US-based companies).
Bitcoin is more of a payment processing system than a currency which is why the US government classifies it as the former.

For vendors it's lower risk, lower cost, and less complicated than other forms of online payment so it makes sense to consider. Due to these favorable properties it or another cryptocurrency will likely become a primary form of payment in the coming 5-10 years.

I would certainly buy more on woot once it's accepted and look forward to that day.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
paultramarine wrote:I realize not everyone has time to learn about this stuff but I'm confused about getting a sarcastic, lulzy response from staff. Bitcoin is not comparable to those, to say the least.

Fix'd

Internetz = srsbzns

If they're not ready for bitcoin, (possibly because amazon's not ready) then just sit back on your superiority and wait for them to see the light!

superradguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superradguy
PemberDucky wrote:no. nor do we accept narnian dollars or carnival tickets.

That's some ignorant thinking right there.

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako

How's this then? Bitcoins would be a good alternative to CCs and PayPal if it were more than a commodity. It's currently about as accepted as paying with doubloons, krugerrands, and Chuck-E-Cheese tokens. (And I think there might even be more krugerrands in circulation.)

You can blame whomever you want why it's not more widely accepted, but businesses won't take the risk of incorporating a grass-roots idea (which is currently the level of BTC) unless someone bigger does it first or there's a financial incentive.

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams

It is a holier than thou attitude to expect Woot! or any other retailer to accept Bitcoin and look down on them for not AT THIS POINT. Directly from Bitcoin:

"The price of a bitcoin can unpredictably increase or decrease over a short period of time."

"Bitcoin is an experimental new currency" Key here is experimental.

darrendoyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darrendoyle

I also would love to pay with Bitcoin.

As others have pointed out, there are reputable companies out there that would allow payment with Bitcoin that handle all the conversion and instantly deposit as USD. This eliminates any concern of market volatility. In essence, Woot would never have to touch Bitcoin. The other thing Bitcoin eliminates for merchants: chargebacks.

Bottom line, let someone else do the heavy lifting (handling conversions), implement their API as a payment form on your site, and capture a new set of customers via a method that is free from the possibility of chargeback.

Basically, it's like being able to take cash securely and instantly online. Cash (or cash-like) transactions decrease costs for merchants (chargebacks, security measures), and increase choices for customers (you don't have to use it if you don't want to). And with Bitpay or the like handling most of the implementation hurdles... what's not to like?

I understand if Woot chooses not to accept Bitcoin at this time, but the comment from the staffer on this came across as unnecessarily rude and condescending.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
darrendoyle wrote:I also would love to pay with Bitcoin....

...I understand if Woot chooses not to accept Bitcoin at this time, but the comment from the staffer on this came across as unnecessarily rude and condescending.

Sorry to jump in uninvited, but most folks here expect the staff to be borderline rude and/or condescending. It's kinda like that snarky, surly yet lovable waitress at the diner.

However - all in all bitcoin could be windfall for Woot! Think of all those bitcoin holders with tokens to burn since Silk Road was shut down by the FBI.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

basmati

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basmati

When is the next Shoot-off! ?

With the Silk Road all road-blocked I need a new place to spend my Dunning-krugerrands on things that my crippling social issues would never allow me access to in real life.

Let me know ASAP! If you want to stay in business you'll change to bitcoin because reasons!