Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2734 Private Messages lichme

Excellent reviews for the M160

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

If you want to hook this up to your iPod/iPhone, woot is selling the appropriate cable in a woot plus sale for 30-pin Apple devices.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3290 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

PCmag.com gave the MP180 a "fair" review

conanthelibrarian

Lets watch this video review of the MP180 from the good people of Gear4presentations

conanthelibrarian

PCmag.com liked the MP160 better and gave a "good" review

developerzero

quality posts: 9 Private Messages developerzero
conanthelibrarian wrote:Lets watch this video review of the MP180 from the good people of Gear4presentations

For more from this review (including the second video showing it in use) check:

http://gear4presentations.com/3m_mp180_pocket_projector.html

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy

These "projectors" are spec'd at 32 lumens.

From TheProjectorPros at
http://www.theprojectorpros.com/learn-s-learn-p-projectors_bright.htm
regarding how many lumens a projector should have.

I am creating an image that is = 6 feet in width:

In a 100% light controlled room - 1000 lumens should be sufficient
In a room with some ambient light, but no direct lighting on the space you plan to project the image - 1000 lumens should be sufficient
In a room with the lights on, but no light directly over the area where you will project the image - 1000 to 1200 lumens should be sufficient
In a room with bright ambient light - 1400 to 1500 lumens should be sufficient
I don't know how bright the room will be, but I do know that my image size won't surpass six (6) feet - 1500 lumens to ensure that you will overcome all lighting conditions should be sufficient

codediamond

quality posts: 2 Private Messages codediamond

Hello,
I really don't know much about projectors and need to do some more research on them. I travel a lot in hotel rooms for work. I thought this might be something small I could pack in my travel bag along with my laptop. Is this something that would give a decent picture to watch Netflix on from my laptop in my hotel room? I really hate watching movies on my small computer screen

Ftwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ftwo
codediamond wrote:Hello,
I really don't know much about projectors and need to do some more research on them. I travel a lot in hotel rooms for work. I thought this might be something small I could pack in my travel bag along with my laptop. Is this something that would give a decent picture to watch Netflix on from my laptop in my hotel room? I really hate watching movies on my small computer screen

An HDMI cable hooked to the hotel TV would probably be the best choice for watching Netflix via your computer.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
yeahbuddy wrote:These "projectors" are spec'd at 32 lumens.

From TheProjectorPros at

In a room with some ambient light, but no direct lighting on the space you plan to project the image - 1000 lumens should be sufficient
In a room with the lights on, but no light directly over the area where you will project the image - 1000 to 1200 lumens should be sufficient
I don't know how bright the room will be, but I do know that my image size won't surpass six (6) feet - 1500 lumens to ensure that you will overcome all lighting conditions should be sufficient

In other words: pass, not ready for prime time. Maybe in a few years.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

Where are you going to project it? Most hotel walls suck as screens (Bet the "art" is nailed in place!). Also, doesn't the TV have inputs?

sands044

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sands044

Ok, so, H.264 is not a resolution... Just saying... Also, how do you propose to get anything higher than 720 in HD, since this is only VGA or composite on the breakouts? Very expensive scalers?

sands044

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sands044
radi0j0hn wrote:In other words: pass, not ready for prime time. Maybe in a few years.

Yes, but consider the review, and where it comes from. That is a professional projection website. Of course, they're not going to recommend anything less than 1000 lumens for professional purposes!

This projector is intended for personal use, and for that, it works very well. Yes, it is on the dimmer side, especially compared to the professional projectors (some go well above 20k lumens), but think of how bright it would be shining an LED flashlight at a wall. That's pretty much what's inside here.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
yeahbuddy wrote:These "projectors" are spec'd at 32 lumens.

From TheProjectorPros at

Bingo. "Combining 32 lumens of brightness" is NOT enough for anything. I have gone through 2 "portable" projectors and last was over 70 lumens. Still not bright enough to be useful. Heck, I have head lamps that are over 3 times this bright that would work better at projecting video on a wall then these.

TC1 USCG Ret

mikemiracle

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mikemiracle

Is that a projector in your pocket?
Or are you just happy to see me?

yesmyok

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yesmyok
tc1uscg wrote:"Combining 32 lumens of brightness" is NOT enough for anything.

I think it depends on your use. I have the Optoma PK120 and am quite happy with its 18 lumens picture in a dark room. I would not recommend this for office use (unless you can get a dark room). In fact, for the money I would get another PK120. It has on board player, MicroSD, everything I need. I fall asleep to rugby on my wall nightly.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-PK120-Lumens-Pocket-Projector/dp/B004Z08SK0

A bit off topic, but it's 3M related so here we go. I recently bought the 3M Camcorder with Projector here and was not at all impressed with the design/functionality. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Shoot-Camcorder-Projector-CP45R/dp/B005LESQLA
Don't get me wrong, it feels solid. But it falls down in usability. It does not like side loaded videos at all. I will say that the projector (20 lumens) worked pretty well in the bowling alley against my daughter's white shirt (about 2 ft away). It wasn't great against the dark carpet 3 ft away, but there was little contrast. For what it's worth.

DaveD1420

quality posts: 7 Private Messages DaveD1420
tc1uscg wrote:Bingo. "Combining 32 lumens of brightness" is NOT enough for anything.

That's odd. My 20 lumen Optoma PK201s are perfect for my Halloween projects (small, contained projection onto approx 12" surfaces).

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid

Remember how, when you were a kid, you had a favorite book and you'd sneak a flashlight into your room and hide under the covers and read that book?

This is meant to replace that flashlight. Under the covers, 32 lumens is plenty bright enough for your kid to finish that last chapter.

Supremespeed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Supremespeed
radi0j0hn wrote:Where are you going to project it? Most hotel walls suck as screens (Bet the "art" is nailed in place!). Also, doesn't the TV have inputs?

Some hotels block the inputs sadly, or they have them hooked up to one of their own players. I bring my little Optoma Pico projector with me whenever I go on vacation. I also include some little wall hangers that I can stick somewhere and hang a white bedsheet with and project onto that. Instant miniature movie theater in a bag.

radi0j0hn

sands044 wrote:Yes, but consider the review, and where it comes from. That is a professional projection website. Of course, they're not going to recommend anything less than 1000 lumens for professional purposes!

This projector is intended for personal use, and for that, it works very well. Yes, it is on the dimmer side, especially compared to the professional projectors (some go well above 20k lumens), but think of how bright it would be shining an LED flashlight at a wall. That's pretty much what's inside here.

The local tech school upgraded their projectors and I bought a (formerly) $5,000 Panasonic with 64 hours on the bulb for $150. Compared to the current crop of weenie home projectors, it's just better. I've squinted enough at bad images projected on low-lumen projectors, and it just ain't worth the time to me. In a few years, it will be great.

ascii256

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ascii256
Supremespeed wrote:Some hotels block the inputs sadly, or they have them hooked up to one of their own players. I bring my little Optoma Pico projector with me whenever I go on vacation. I also include some little wall hangers that I can stick somewhere and hang a white bedsheet with and project onto that. Instant miniature movie theater in a bag.

I almost always call and ask the hotel if they have HD TVs, and whether I can hook up to it. I think it is a pretty common inquiry since very rarely does the employee act confused.

When I don't have a choice of where I can stay, I pack a 22 inch TV in my luggage. Seems a bit extreme, but I don't want to be away from my video games for too long.

6/10 Dynamo Flashlight/Radio 6/5 PlayGear Share Splitter 5/31 VRDH200 Stereo Headphones
5/14 Single Serving Coffeemaker 4/27 Screaming Monkey with Black Cape 5/15 2 ear check ear thermometer 6/05 play gear share audio splitter 6/5 Logitech PlayGear Share Audio Splitter 4/27 Buslink Mini Stereo System 4/26 Zyxel M-202 Mimo Network Adapter 4/26 Excalibur USB Portable Drive 3/23 Screaming Monkey with Green Cape 3/23 Philips GoGear 2GB MP3 Player

haywardkw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haywardkw
yesmyok wrote:I think it depends on your use. I have the Optoma PK120 and am quite happy with its 18 lumens picture in a dark room. I would not recommend this for office use (unless you can get a dark room). In fact, for the money I would get another PK120. It has on board player, MicroSD, everything I need. I fall asleep to rugby on my wall nightly.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-PK120-Lumens-Pocket-Projector/dp/B004Z08SK0

A bit off topic, but it's 3M related so here we go. I recently bought the 3M Camcorder with Projector here and was not at all impressed with the design/functionality. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Shoot-Camcorder-Projector-CP45R/dp/B005LESQLA
Don't get me wrong, it feels solid. But it falls down in usability. It does not like side loaded videos at all. I will say that the projector (20 lumens) worked pretty well in the bowling alley against my daughter's white shirt (about 2 ft away). It wasn't great against the dark carpet 3 ft away, but there was little contrast. For what it's worth.

Improperly shot portrait video looks like crap on any thing.... I have the camcorder version too and controls are a bit awkward... but ok once you Learn them Even 22 lumen is brighter than you'd and for $100 less was heck off a deal. Best for about 3-4' images. Do wish they had a zoom lens though so image size not solely dependent on distance

drdweiss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drdweiss

just get some plugs and put it on the motel tv--they ALL have inputs now and you can use your laptop...

paterpan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paterpan

32 Lumens is usable but not amazing. You just have to have realistic expectations for pico/pocket projectors.

I've had an Optoma PK201, AAXA P4X Vivitek Q2 and AAXA LED Showtime.. I just keep selling them on ebay and upgrade as the technology gets better.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

I remember when nerds carried pocket proTectors.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

CuzzinMerl wrote:I remember when nerds carried pocket proTectors.

Noafence

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Noafence

I wooted this projector about a year ago. Overall very pleased for what it's designed true purpose is. Portable entertainment. I have used it on a Jamaica vacation with a laptop to watch movies when I had consumed enough Jamaican rum to put down a small donkey, but could not sing bob marley songs any longer. At night on a balcony, it showed well enough to gather a small crowd of fellow inebriated faux Jamaican vacationers to scream don't go in there at my balcony wall, that I felt like passing out rum shots to all!! What the hell, it's all inclusive!! The sound from the projector is weak, but if you use the PC laptop you will be ok. Overall a solid product for what it is intended for. It will not replace your home theater... But it will entertain a small group of friends

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

In B4 THREAD CLOSES

/propaganda
/buy3M
/subliminal