WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Welder Watches by U-Boat

Inspired by Girl Meets World bringing our favorite cast and characters back to primetime, we've got our own idea for a show: Mad About U-Boat. Our producers are already trying to get Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt on the phone, and with the right supporting cast, we truly believe this sitcom about watch lovers could be a real hit. Set your DVR!

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

These must be an acquired taste.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

ssratracer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssratracer

The 45mm X 45mm size will play on your wrist about the same as a ~52mm round watch, if you're into the large watch thing.

daconkli2003

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daconkli2003
miken927 wrote:These must be an acquired taste.

They look like they're fashioned for left-handed robots.

-Sparky the SKUM

noiselessinfinity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noiselessinfinity

The big square shape is what kills it. Which is too bad, since I kind of like the style of a few of them. But I don't plan on buying watches on Woot again, so the point is moot.

Secunza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Secunza

The list price is a joke.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

DH hates rubber wrist bands, so I am waiting for the next watch sale.

thomasr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasr

They wind/set on the wrong side and otherwise are obviously pretty quirky. If you are the type to look sullen and dress all in black and mope around looking at folks from the corner of your eyes...then maybe these are for you.

shadowknight125

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shadowknight125

Diplomatically worded. I just call them ugly.

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith
thomasr wrote:They wind/set on the wrong side and otherwise are obviously pretty quirky.

Good catch, I didn't even notice that they wound on the wrong side - I was too busy noticing how ugly they were and the fact that they are overpriced by approximately 10x. [edit]Holy pretentious prat Batman, for the record, IMHO the WOOT price is 10x too much. The MSRP passes insanity.[/edit]

Good luck selling these Woot.

Bluesultan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bluesultan
daconkli2003 wrote:They look like they're fashioned for left-handed robots.

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

thomasr wrote:They wind/set on the wrong side....

You'll find a lot of oversized watches winding on the left side so as not to scar the back of your hand.

jensschuetz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jensschuetz

A bit too square but the dial layout of the more complicated model looks quite nice.

What kills it for me is the 50m water resistance. Maybe thats the maximum depth at which the Italian Navy's "U-Boat"s operate?

drocpsu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drocpsu

these are perhaps some of the worst looking watches I've ever seen.

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman
drocpsu wrote:these are perhaps some of the worst looking watches I've ever seen.

LOL... (I know what you mean...)

amweave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amweave
glenasmith wrote:Good catch, I didn't even notice that they wound on the wrong side - I was too busy noticing how ugly they were and the fact that they are overpriced by approximately 10x. [edit]Holy pretentious prat Batman, for the record, IMHO the WOOT price is 10x too much. The MSRP passes insanity.[/edit]

The left-handed winder thing is kind of U-Boat's trademark. I have a U-Boat I got off of Woot a couple months back and I quite like it (and have received compliments on it) but these . . . . ewwwww.

RazorClarity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RazorClarity

Several of these are on ebay for the same prices as listed here.

larrym9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages larrym9

When did all the watchmakers decide they would only make buttugly watches for men. These and most of the other watches look like they were designed by 10 year old science fiction fanboys.

chicagonative

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chicagonative

Well, I hate to go against the grain, but think these are kinda funky and cool looking, and I could see myself wearing one from time to time.

My objections have to do with the ridiculous list price, which always flips on my BS meter, the left handed configuration, and the closeup photos, to my eyes, suggest a fairly average quality on the finish of the outside casing.

scubalizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scubalizard

big ass watch, big ass case, only 50m water resistance?!?

ChampionOfChaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChampionOfChaos
newfiepage wrote:You'll find a lot of oversized watches winding on the left side so as not to scar the back of your hand.

Yes, even normal-sized watches will cut into my wrist, as I work in an office and have my wrist bent at the keyboard for 7 hours a day. I like this design!

Woots:
1. Razer Copperhead 2000dpi Laser Gaming Mouse
2. Star Wars Vault: 30 Years of Treasures From the Lucasfilm Archives
3. Peavey Rockmaster Standard Acoustic Stage Pack
4. Excalibur NF07-08 NFL Premium Edition Vibrating Football
5. Kelty Shrike 32 Daypack
6. Kelty Courser 40 Backpack
7. Kershaw Vapor III Folding Knife
8. Imaginext Castle Ogre
9. All-Over Paisley Wrap

ozzallos

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ozzallos
Secunza wrote:The list price is a joke.

They're taking a page from invicta :p

adamf663

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamf663

That's impressively Only bad witches are ugly. and also impressively expensive for such poor quality.

Fardinando

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Fardinando

These are super-qwerky, but look like they would bruise, if not draw blood.

I kind of like the otherwise pointless color filters that screw onto the watch bezel ... though why you would want a black watch face with these is kind of confusing.

saruyama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saruyama
jensschuetz wrote:A bit too square but the dial layout of the more complicated model looks quite nice.

What kills it for me is the 50m water resistance. Maybe thats the maximum depth at which the Italian Navy's "U-Boat"s operate?

Would have been deep enough for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Alexandria_(1941)

GSimmons01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GSimmons01
newfiepage wrote:You'll find a lot of oversized watches winding on the left side so as not to scar the back of your hand.

Agreed. My biggest big ass watches have the winder up top

GSimmons01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GSimmons01
ozzallos wrote:They're taking a page from invicta :p

Agreed. Invicta and U-Boat do make wonderful Swiss Movement watches. I never understood why they make so many quartz watches and then claim a ridiculous worth. It dilutes worth of the clockwork watches. $100 to $200 would be a great price for a swiss movement Invicta or Uboat but it's hard to fathom paying much more than $50 for a battery operated watch. Woot should bring back those Breitlings... so I can flip 'em on eBay

Hoopdrm819

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hoopdrm819
glenasmith wrote:Good catch, I didn't even notice that they wound on the wrong side - I was too busy noticing how ugly they were and the fact that they are overpriced by approximately 10x. [edit]Holy pretentious prat Batman, for the record, IMHO the WOOT price is 10x too much. The MSRP passes insanity.[/edit]

FYI - The crown is on the opposite side because of the size of the watches. With large watches you run into a problem bending your hand with the crown pointed that way. Many Welder watches reverse the setting to avoid this.

I myself love Welder watches. I do not care for the for these particular ones but Welder on the whole is a great watch. I would refer you to their website to see some of the great styles they have.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino
GSimmons01 wrote: *Uboat* but it's hard to *fathom* paying much more

I see what you did there...