conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3536 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

"Very good" review over at cnet.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3536 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

"Good" review over at pcmag.com

kfergus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kfergus
logicalmind84 wrote:4.2 out of 5 on Amazon, 6 comments.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-ULTRA-FOCUS-6000/dp/B0080OHI9O

Also cheaper here by $50.

Not sure how they are cheaper at $120.17.....even with free shipping.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

kfergus wrote:Not sure how they are cheaper at $120.17.....even with free shipping.

He/she meant HERE as in Woot.

kfergus

ROGETRAY wrote:He/she meant HERE as in Woot.

OK, that's fine if that is what He/She meant, but they are cheaper by $35 here if you include Woot's $5 shipping charge not $50 as He/She posted.

vielster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielster

Will the ANC in these be effective if used for say bicycling, ow will the large variance in noise types and level cause problems?

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen
conanthelibrarian wrote:"Very good" review over at cnet.com

Actually if you read the whole review...it is NOT very good.

ROGETRAY

Staff

kfergus wrote:OK, that's fine if that is what He/She meant, but they are cheaper by $35 here if you include Woot's $5 shipping charge not $50 as He/She posted.

You/kfergus are correct

kfergus

ROGETRAY wrote:You/kfergus are correct

Thanks for the thumbs up, Chuck.

jearly0000

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jearly0000

The Norris drinks Pepsi?!?!

*runs to factory and guzzles gallons of pepsi-cola*

Who ate the last mini chimichanga?!

ROGETRAY

Staff

jearly0000 wrote:The Norris drinks Pepsi?!?!

*runs to factory and guzzles gallons of pepsi-cola*

Hahahahahah.

Okay. Enough Norris-love discussion.

Anyone have any more thoughtful/helpful input on today's offer?

zikzak

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zikzak
jiggersgreen wrote:Actually if you read the whole review...it is NOT very good.

I was interested until one of the reviews said it was only sort of better than passive isolating earbuds, which I already have for less than half the price of this and it doesn't need a battery.

Wyatt8

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Wyatt8

I love the description of turning on the mike to hear what's around you, without pulling out your ear buds.
but
can you use these with a phone?
or are they only a sophisticated listening device???

a perfect day to have a great day on purpose...
or because the store clerk told you to...

Tarantino

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tarantino
vielster wrote:Will the ANC in these be effective if used for say bicycling, ow will the large variance in noise types and level cause problems?

You shouldn't wear any ear buds while cycling. They block entirely too much external noise.

Tarantino

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tarantino
ROGETRAY wrote:You/kfergus are correct

I wonder if the guy who told him he had to wear an ID badge lived..

theimmc

quality posts: 11 Private Messages theimmc
Wyatt8 wrote:can you use these with a phone?
or are they only a sophisticated listening device???

From product description : Microphone: None

Also, looking at the photo, this is a TRS connector, not TRRS. Here
s a web page with diagrams : http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/TRRS+connector

You can use it with a phone (if phone has 3.5mm connector), but for listening only, not for talking.

Wyatt8

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Wyatt8
theimmc wrote:From product description : Microphone: None

Also, looking at the photo, this is a TRS connector, not TRRS. Here
s a web page with diagrams : http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/TRRS+connector

You can use it with a phone (if phone has 3.5mm connector), but for listening only, not for talking.

Thank you.. I see that now.. I misread the meaning of:
"Feed Forward microphone feature allows you to experience outside sounds without interrupting your music or removing your ear buds"

I should have looked at the connector... late night, tired brain, but appreciative.

a perfect day to have a great day on purpose...
or because the store clerk told you to...

fretlessman71

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fretlessman71

I wonder how these would fare for playing in church with an Aviom system... very intrigued, and the price is right... I guess I get a while to hem and haw...

logicalmind84

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicalmind84
ROGETRAY wrote:He/she meant HERE as in Woot.

He :-P and you are correct!

lichme

quality posts: 2940 Private Messages lichme

I have never had very good luck with anything other than the headphones that actually cup your ear, the rest always seem to fall out.

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie

I have the bose in ear IE2 headphones and LOVE them, have had them for roughly 2 years now with an extended warranty obviously. Once I miss the deadline for replacement, I will pull the trigger next time they come around.

rider43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rider43

I wear a different brand ANC in ear buds with use of Avion for monitors and they work very well. Cuts out lots of extraneous racket so you hear in ear just what you have adjusted in your Avion. Must have a good seal in ear to get the ANC to work.
I suspect from your tag as you are a fellow bass man. Love my J-Bass 5 string and P-Bass 4string.

mikem53

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikem53
jiggersgreen wrote:Actually if you read the whole review...it is NOT very good.

Agreed.. There are better choices out there.. Many of them don't require active circuitry to isolate noise and sound much better. Proper fit is the key to IEM type ear buds.. And this thing is too bulky.. Yuck..

FatherofBambo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FatherofBambo

I would NOT recommend using noise cancelling headphones for bicycling, running or any activity where the user is on public roads. Not being able to clearly hear traffic or other ambient sounds is a recipe for disaster.

wrigjenn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wrigjenn
Tarantino wrote:You shouldn't wear any ear buds while cycling. They block entirely too much external noise.

AMEN! Just what the world needs...another cyclist that doesn't pay attention to their surroundings.

sodalite

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sodalite
Tarantino wrote:You shouldn't wear any ear buds while cycling. They block entirely too much external noise.

not only is it dangerous, but also illegal here in Florida (and probably other states). wearing one earbud is great (and legal), you can get music and be aware of what is going on around you. most of my friends tuck in the one not in use, or let it dangle.
i just got this earbud and love it. great sound, and in-line mic for answering calls, pausing music, or skipping songs on pandora.

JLab J3MS JBuds In-Ear Single Earphone Style Headset with Enterprise Class Mic

or you can get a speaker that fits in your waterbottle holder. this one is what all my friends ride with. that way, you can have your music and share ! it's actually really loud, so also works great for beach parties and picnics. one charge lasts between 1.5 and 3 hours depending on volume.

HMDX Audio HX-P230GY JAM Bluetooth Wireless Speaker

jharp29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jharp29
rider43 wrote:I wear a different brand ANC in ear buds with use of Avion for monitors and they work very well. Cuts out lots of extraneous racket so you hear in ear just what you have adjusted in your Avion. Must have a good seal in ear to get the ANC to work.
I suspect from your tag as you are a fellow bass man. Love my J-Bass 5 string and P-Bass 4string.

Fellow bass player as well - we use the Shure SE215's - great sound & fit.

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
Jayrookie wrote:I have the bose in ear IE2 headphones and LOVE them, have had them for roughly 2 years now with an extended warranty obviously. Once I miss the deadline for replacement, I will pull the trigger next time they come around.

'Not under the illusion you'll change your abuse of extended warranties by using them for a technology refresh, but...

That behavior is what caused both Costco and SAMs to eliminate no questions asked returns for TVs. So folks who legitimately have a real product failure lose out.

And that behavior abuse is priced into extended warranties, raising the cost for those folks who do not abuse them.

[Don't bother responding - I'm sure you've rationalized your choice - "but the fine print doesn't preclude it" - and you're sleeping well at night. Stealing music from the artists who created it is also OK...]

davywally

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davywally
sodalite wrote:not only is it dangerous, but also illegal here in Florida (and probably other states). wearing one earbud is great (and legal), you can get music and be aware of what is going on around you. most of my friends tuck in the one not in use, or let it dangle.
i just got this earbud and love it. great sound, and in-line mic for answering calls, pausing music, or skipping songs on pandora.

JLab J3MS JBuds In-Ear Single Earphone Style Headset with Enterprise Class Mic

or you can get a speaker that fits in your waterbottle holder. this one is what all my friends ride with. that way, you can have your music and share ! it's actually really loud, so also works great for beach parties and picnics. one charge lasts between 1.5 and 3 hours depending on volume.

HMDX Audio HX-P230GY JAM Bluetooth Wireless Speaker

Is it illegal for deaf people to ride bikes in FL?

And not that I am recommending headphones while biking, but why is it permissible for the larger, more dangerous vehicle (a car) to have the radio playing with the windows up? Doesn't this have an equally adverse effect on a driver's ability to "clearly hear traffic or other ambient sounds"?

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
kfergus wrote:OK, that's fine if that is what He/She meant, but they are cheaper by $35 here if you include Woot's $5 shipping charge not $50 as He/She posted.

Hey, hey... math was never a Wooter's strong suit... you can count on that

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
wrigjenn wrote:AMEN! Just what the world needs...another cyclist that doesn't pay attention to their surroundings.

... and that's coming from a driver of a 2+ ton vehicle, texting, talking, eating, and getting the eyeliner just right, huh?

beckola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beckola
lichme wrote:I have never had very good luck with anything other than the headphones that actually cup your ear, the rest always seem to fall out.

Agreed until I started using Shure earphones(buds). Shure's have foam sleeves that you squish and then put into your ear. I've never had them fall out, even when sweating really heavy. Only one's I've found that will stay in.

wrigjenn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wrigjenn
woottoady wrote:... and that's coming from a driver of a 2+ ton vehicle, texting, talking, eating, and getting the eyeliner just right, huh?

Not quite. It's coming from a driver who actually pays attention and values her life - as well as the lives of other motorists.

Crazy concept, right?

beckola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beckola
bluemaple wrote:'Not under the illusion you'll change your abuse of extended warranties by using them for a technology refresh, but...

That behavior is what caused both Costco and SAMs to eliminate no questions asked returns for TVs. So folks who legitimately have a real product failure lose out.

And that behavior abuse is priced into extended warranties, raising the cost for those folks who do not abuse them.

[Don't bother responding - I'm sure you've rationalized your choice - "but the fine print doesn't preclude it" - and you're sleeping well at night. Stealing music from the artists who created it is also OK...]

I'm going to respond in jayrookie's defense because in reading his post a few times I saw nothing to indicate he's a 'tech refresh' warranty abuser. If I read it correct, he said he has an extended warranty and when it expires, he'll pull trigger and buy a new pair next time Shure's show up on Woot. Although I understand the type of person you're referencing Bluemaple, I don't think jayrookie is one of them. At least that's not how I interpreted his comment.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

So hey. How about these Polk Headphones, huh?

Anybody?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bfselby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfselby
vielster wrote:Will the ANC in these be effective if used for say bicycling, ow will the large variance in noise types and level cause problems?

Earbuds - not good for bicycling.
Noise-Cancelling - really not good for bicycling.

It is hard to find a good set for biking. Even some of the sport ones block a little too much sound. Others have issues with wind noise. I do not actually have a pair to highly recommend at the moment.

davywally

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davywally
ThunderThighs wrote:So hey. How about these Polk Headphones, huh?

Anybody?

A moderate moderation from a mindful moderator, a poke for us folks to comment on Polks.

But does Chuck Norris approve?

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
ThunderThighs wrote:So hey. How about these Polk Headphones, huh?

Anybody?

CAN'T HEAR YOU WITH THESE GLORIOUS EARBUDS IN MY CANALS