DuggleBogey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages DuggleBogey

I saw a news story today that said that daydreaming while driving was as dangerous as texting while driving.

So which will be the first state to outlaw daydreaming while driving?

jeffiekins

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jeffiekins
vielster wrote:Will the ANC in these be effective if used for say bicycling, ow will the large variance in noise types and level cause problems?

The fact that they make it harder to hear the cars around you will cause problems, like sudden death from impact with a 4,000 lb Lexus SUV whose driver just dripped some latte on herself.

Seriously, whatever the temptation, if there are any cars around, you should be using cheap earbuds at low volume so you can hear them coming. If you ride enough, it will save your life.

And, FWIW, the ANC doesn't work as well for non-constant noise, but it does reduce it some. Plus, the earbuds' design will reduce all noise even with the ANC off, which is why I recommend using cheap ones (that don't reduce noise) for biking.

Please.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

jeffiekins

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jeffiekins
DuggleBogey wrote:I saw a news story today that said that daydreaming while driving was as dangerous as texting while driving.

So which will be the first state to outlaw daydreaming while driving?

California. And the next day, they will have historic clear roads.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

jearly0000

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jearly0000
davywally wrote:A moderate moderation from a mindful moderator, a poke for us folks to comment on Polks.

But does Chuck Norris approve?

Chuck Norris doesn't need headphones, he cancels sound waves with an icy stare

Who ate the last mini chimichanga?!

ozzallos

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ozzallos
jearly0000 wrote:Chuck Norris doesn't need headphones, he cancels sound waves with an icy stare

Chuck Norris doesn't need these headphones. Noise is automatically cancelled by his mere presence.

(beat me to it ;)

beardgod

quality posts: 3 Private Messages beardgod
sodalite wrote:not only is it dangerous, but also illegal here in Florida (and probably other states). wearing one earbud is great (and legal), you can get music and be aware of what is going on around you. most of my friends tuck in the one not in use, or let it dangle.
i just got this earbud and love it. great sound, and in-line mic for answering calls, pausing music, or skipping songs on pandora.

JLab J3MS JBuds In-Ear Single Earphone Style Headset with Enterprise Class Mic

or you can get a speaker that fits in your waterbottle holder. this one is what all my friends ride with. that way, you can have your music and share ! it's actually really loud, so also works great for beach parties and picnics. one charge lasts between 1.5 and 3 hours depending on volume.

HMDX Audio HX-P230GY JAM Bluetooth Wireless Speaker

Agree whole-heartedly with the notion that one should not wear ear buds while cycling on the road (trail, not that concerned, although I almost always ride with buddies on the trail, so I prefer to be social in that case)...I use the LG HBS-700's when I ride, right ear in and left ear open to the traffic. The ear buds magnetically stow in the collar, so the unused one stays out of the way. The mic on the LG's leaves something to be desired, but the sound quality is pretty amazing. Controls at the neck are also really handy. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-HBS-700W-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B00829E7XC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365525758&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+hbs-700

stevethorpe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stevethorpe
beckola wrote:I'm going to respond in jayrookie's defense because in reading his post a few times I saw nothing to indicate he's a 'tech refresh' warranty abuser. If I read it correct, he said he has an extended warranty and when it expires, he'll pull trigger and buy a new pair next time Shure's show up on Woot. Although I understand the type of person you're referencing Bluemaple, I don't think jayrookie is one of them. At least that's not how I interpreted his comment.

I agree ... that is exactly how I read it. Pretty unambiguous really. No suggestion of warranty abuse at all.

vibes4me

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vibes4me

ANyone who uses Norris has my VOte...

brentjcook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentjcook
bfselby wrote:Earbuds - not good for bicycling.
Noise-Cancelling - really not good for bicycling.

It is hard to find a good set for biking. Even some of the sport ones block a little too much sound. Others have issues with wind noise. I do not actually have a pair to highly recommend at the moment.

I don't see anything wrong with earbuds while biking. As long as they stay on your ear and you don't crank the volume you should be able to hear your surroundings.

In-ear headphones, on the other hand, I would not suggest because they block out outside noise. Even the non-noise canceling kind.

brentjcook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentjcook
Tarantino wrote:I wonder if the guy who told him he had to wear an ID badge lived..

You realize that's a movie prop, right? That's from Dodgeball.

DuggleBogey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages DuggleBogey

Does anyone have an opinion on using these while motorcycling?

I have used a pair of on-ear sennheisers that work fairly well, especially with noise-cancellation engaged. It blocks just enough noise and amplifies the sound just enough to make spoken word stuff like podcasts listenable.

I also have a full helmet with built in bluetooth headphones that work pretty well but aren't noise canceling at all.

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie
bluemaple wrote:'Not under the illusion you'll change your abuse of extended warranties by using them for a technology refresh, but...

That behavior is what caused both Costco and SAMs to eliminate no questions asked returns for TVs. So folks who legitimately have a real product failure lose out.

And that behavior abuse is priced into extended warranties, raising the cost for those folks who do not abuse them.

[Don't bother responding - I'm sure you've rationalized your choice - "but the fine print doesn't preclude it" - and you're sleeping well at night. Stealing music from the artists who created it is also OK...]

Well what I do isn't abuse. I have the bose IE2 headphones as I said, with the extended warranty. My first pair started cutting out 14 months after I purchased them, and took them back to best buy, my extended warranty covered them in full where I then purchased another extended warranty on my new pair.

I wouldn't consider that abuse; that is me foreseeing that a pair of headphones eventually will stop working and purchasing the correct warranty to support that issue.

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie
stevethorpe wrote:I agree ... that is exactly how I read it. Pretty unambiguous really. No suggestion of warranty abuse at all.

thank you both, I had to go in detail (I guess) because one person clearly thought I was cheating the world of warranties :-\

machinenoise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages machinenoise

Only read 1 horrible review on Amazon. Anyone else know if these are worth the $$$?

machinenoise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages machinenoise
jearly0000 wrote:Chuck Norris doesn't need headphones, he cancels sound waves with an icy stare

Chuck Norris roundhouses noise.

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
Jayrookie wrote:Well what I do isn't abuse. I have the bose IE2 headphones as I said, with the extended warranty. My first pair started cutting out 14 months after I purchased them, and took them back to best buy, my extended warranty covered them in full where I then purchased another extended warranty on my new pair.

I wouldn't consider that abuse; that is me foreseeing that a pair of headphones eventually will stop working and purchasing the correct warranty to support that issue.

I apologize for misunderstanding what you meant. I know a lot of folks who use these warranties as tech refreshes - that is abuse.

The phrase that got me, "Once I miss the deadline for replacement, ..." implied to me that the headphones were being replaced due to the deadline, *not* due to failure. 'Sorry.

TazoWolf

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TazoWolf
vielster wrote:Will the ANC in these be effective if used for say bicycling, ow will the large variance in noise types and level cause problems?

1. I am a cyclist
2. Cyclists must follow the samd rules as drivers, thus making use od earbuds illegal.
3. Not hearing traffic around you invites you to be squashed.
4. Don't ride on sidewalks. It's illegal and carries its own rsks. You are not a pedestrian, but a vehicle.
5. SHARE THE ROAD, DAMMIT!!

"I'll Never Let My Schooling Interfere With My Education" -Mark Twain

"We Must Be the Change We Wish To See In The World" -Gandhi

DonKudler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DonKudler
woottoady wrote:Hey, hey... math was never a Wooter's strong suit... you can count on that

Not if I'm a wooter...can't count....

moocowfragger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moocowfragger
bluemaple wrote:'Not under the illusion you'll change your abuse of extended warranties by using them for a technology refresh, but...

That behavior is what caused both Costco and SAMs to eliminate no questions asked returns for TVs. So folks who legitimately have a real product failure lose out.

And that behavior abuse is priced into extended warranties, raising the cost for those folks who do not abuse them.

[Don't bother responding - I'm sure you've rationalized your choice - "but the fine print doesn't preclude it" - and you're sleeping well at night. Stealing music from the artists who created it is also OK...]

Good thing the warranty police are here to ensure moral ethics. QQ more.

Bock919

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bock919
FatherofBambo wrote:I would NOT recommend using noise cancelling headphones for bicycling, running or any activity where the user is on public roads. Not being able to clearly hear traffic or other ambient sounds is a recipe for disaster.

You're right, deaf people shouldn't be allowed to run, bicycle, etc. on public roads.

taggartlawfirm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taggartlawfirm

Hey Bluemaple, Costco marketed their no questions asked bring back policy heavily. It was touted, broadcast and made part of their sales strategy. How many additional sales did they make because of it? And so when I buy an item from them, rather than another retailer, because of that policy, how is anyone wrong, evil or at fault when a seven year old TV tanks, and someone takes it back to take advantage of the much spoken of warranty? I'm not talking about bringing back used toner cartridges. But an appliance that breaks? A laptop that fries. A mattress that flattens? Explain to me again under your theory of offer acceptance how this gets the person who requests the relief promised when he bought the widget a one way ticket to the hot and dark regions?

- Tag

bluemaple

moocowfragger wrote:Good thing the warranty police are here to ensure moral ethics. QQ more.

@moocowfragger, you don't have to have any ethics or morals to have a problem with abuse of these policies. In very simple economic terms, your abuse is paid for by everyone else.

bluemaple

taggartlawfirm wrote:Hey Bluemaple, Costco marketed their no questions asked bring back policy heavily. It was touted, broadcast and made part of their sales strategy. How many additional sales did they make because of it? And so when I buy an item from them, rather than another retailer, because of that policy, how is anyone wrong, evil or at fault when a seven year old TV tanks, and someone takes it back to take advantage of the much spoken of warranty? I'm not talking about bringing back used toner cartridges. But an appliance that breaks? A laptop that fries. A mattress that flattens? Explain to me again under your theory of offer acceptance how this gets the person who requests the relief promised when he bought the widget a one way ticket to the hot and dark regions?

- Tag

@taggartlawfirm, next time read the post before responding. I'd expect more from someone who implies they work at a law firm.

I said the abuse was *Technology Refresh* returns. In other words, you got tired of your your TV and simply wanted the rest of us to pay for your new one. (via higher prices or more expensive extended warranties.)

Returning a TV that legitimately broke was *not* abuse. That was a great safety benefit to the Costco & SAMs policies. We have that benefit no more because of the abusers - and they certainly were abusers.

Ask Costco or SAMs why the policy was killed.