mrict2002

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrict2002

Missed this deal.
Any one knows of a similar price range deal elsewhere?

Also any deal on 5.5 / 0.22?

Douginaz

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Douginaz
rjquillin wrote:So, which is quieter, the Bone or the Cat? I got sensitive neighbors here.

Having never even seen any of the rifles that were in the sale, the following comes from watching a lot of videos on youtube.com about Gamo rifles, and a general knowledge of firearms and physics.

When you ask which is quieter, you have to include the sound made by the projectile. Any projectile with a muzzle velocity over the speed of sound is going to generate its own racket, and the muzzle brake isn't going to make any difference. The Bone uses a gas spring, while the Cat uses a wire spring. The Bone will likely generate a higher muzzle velocity and more pressure at the muzzle than the Cat, and this probably means that the Cat will have the edge, however small. The 52% in sound reduction likely doesn't mean it will sound half as loud to you, since you perceive sound on a dB scale, and they probably measured it on a linear scale.

If you want to minimize the sound of the projectile in flight, shoot the one with the slowest muzzle velocity, which is also the heaviest one, and that is probably the round ball.

There is a video on youtube.com (actually more of a sound file) that compares the sound of various shots from different positions from the shooter, using a couple different guns. I don't know how scientific it is, but it's interesting.

The .22 rifles will probably be quieter since they are lower velocity than the .177, because the slugs are heavier.
In short, don't expect miracles.

mrict2002

Never mind found gamo silent stalker IGT air rifle .177 cal for $129.99

gatorart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gatorart

Just received my Bone Collector and after watching videos and reading all I could find with regard to noise I am very, very disappointed. This gun is as loud as the old RWS rifle I wanted to replace. They say it's 52% quieter. I ask, than what? Don't buy this gun if noise is an issue.

mrict2002

gatorart wrote:Just received my Bone Collector and after watching videos and reading all I could find with regard to noise I am very, very disappointed. This gun is as loud as the old RWS rifle I wanted to replace. They say it's 52% quieter. I ask, than what? Don't buy this gun if noise is an issue.

Have you shoot enough with it to pass the break through?
Most people say had to shoot about 100 shoots before gaining accuracy and quietness as wanted and advertised.

Also if pellets' mussel velocity are above sonic boom, don't forget that contribution that has nothing to do with gun itself.

joebobmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joebobmel

Woot. Let's have a little chat. You really SHOULDN'T SHIP A FREAKING GUN TO THE WRONG ADDRESS!

Lucky for you, the guy that lives at the house that UPS randomly dropped it off at called me.

It wasn't even addressed to a valid address, much less my own address.

Some serious fail from Woot and UPS.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

joebobmel wrote:Woot. Let's have a little chat. You really SHOULDN'T SHIP A FREAKING GUN TO THE WRONG ADDRESS!

Lucky for you, the guy that lives at the house that UPS randomly dropped it off at called me.

It wasn't even addressed to a valid address, much less my own address.

Some serious fail from Woot and UPS.

wow. thanks for letting us know about this.
i'll definitely send this up the ladder.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ObsessiveCompulsive

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ObsessiveCompulsive
crashwg wrote:Next time you're doing an air rifle sale Woot, try and get some .22 caliber rifles.

Soon...very soon.