WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

TiVo Premiere + TiVo Stream = TwoVo

Them TV shows always be slipplin' away from ol' Hank! They come on late a'night an' they gone befo' the mornin' light shines in m'window. I ain't got no luck catchin' em with my bare hands. So I'm resortin' to one them TV trappin' systems called a TiVo!
TiVo official site

webdev511


quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

TiVo Premiere supports over the air broadcast TiVo Premiere XL4 does not (cable only)

Talsarris


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Talsarris
webdev511 wrote:TiVo Premiere supports over the air broadcast TiVo Premiere XL4 does not (cable only)



Neither of these Premieres support over the air broadcast. All Tivo Premier 4s are cable only.

dcinelli1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcinelli1

Same price as on Amazon so I guess Woot has become just another outlet for them. And you can get this for $209.99 with $7.95 shipping and NO SALES TAX unless you are in MI which is a chunk athttp://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=tcd750500&d=tivo-tcd750500-premiere-high-definition-dvr-recorder-with-4-tuners-(tcd750500)&sku=851342000988&utm_campaign=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_base

I miss the old woot


[MOD: I think you also missed that this is a bundle. You're forgetting to add in the price for the Tivo Stream.]

woottoady


quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

TiVo is the highest priced, lowest featured, viewing appliance you could buy. For $400 you get this refurbished technocrap that is entirely nonfunctional without a subscription, while most cable cos and sat providers give these away.

If you're considering this purchase, spend some time first at TiVo Community. I know this product only too well. You've been warned :P

Phenomenon101


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phenomenon101
dcinelli1 wrote:Same price as on Amazon so I guess Woot has become just another outlet for them. And you can get this for $209.99 with $7.95 shipping and NO SALES TAX unless you are in MI which is a chunk athttp://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=tcd750500&d=tivo-tcd750500-premiere-high-definition-dvr-recorder-with-4-tuners-(tcd750500)&sku=851342000988&utm_campaign=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_base

I miss the old woot



Wasn't Woot bought over by Amazon?

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Phenomenon101 wrote:Wasn't Woot bought over by Amazon?



yeah, in '09, i think.
OP's account was created in 2012, so mayhaps they weren't aware.

(we're an independent subsidiary.)


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

webdev511


quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511
Talsarris wrote:Neither of these Premieres support over the air broadcast. All Tivo Premier 4s are cable only.



Doh! missed the 4 on the non XL. I'm a cord cutter, so no OTA means I have no need for either.

editorkid


quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
PemberDucky wrote:yeah, in '09, i think.
OP's account was created in 2012, so mayhaps they weren't aware.

(we're an independent subsidiary.)


And the 8/4/12 Woot was a stepladder, so this is some pretty weird nostalgia for the "old Woot."

I've been a Tivo owner since early '00 so I like the platform, but they have a lousy record on fixing bugs in their software. I have some subscriptions set to First Run Only, but the thing still records every episode of every Mythbusters marathon. And I can go through the To Do listings and laboriously delete them one by one, but the Clear key shortcut to delete episodes works randomly. Worse, when it doesn't work, the confirmation screen chides me, "Hint: You can delete episodes faster by pressing Clear." Well, I tried that, Tivo.

mark2114


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mark2114
Talsarris wrote:Neither of these Premieres support over the air broadcast. All Tivo Premier 4s are cable only.



Digital cable (QAM only) and Verizon FiOS®
Does not support AT&T U-verse, satellite, analog cable, or antenna (ATSC)

dcinelli1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcinelli1
PemberDucky wrote:yeah, in '09, i think.
OP's account was created in 2012, so mayhaps they weren't aware.

(we're an independent subsidiary.)



An "independent subsidiary" that sells the same things at the same price?

dcinelli1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcinelli1
dcinelli1 wrote:An "independent subsidiary" that sells the same things at the same price?



And forgot to add that if you buy through Amazon, they'll take anything back (almost) unlike woot.

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

dcinelli1 wrote:And forgot to add that if you buy through Amazon, they'll take anything back (almost) unlike woot.



i feel like i should clarify, in case you're confused.
we WILL take back things that arrived broken or somehow unusable.

in other cases - even if the item wasn't necessarily defunct upon arrival, but was not quite "up to snuff" - we'll do what we can to find a resolution that makes everybody happy. if you're ever unhappy with your purchase, you can email Support@Woot.com and we'll assist however we can.

hope that helps.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

oatlord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oatlord
woottoady wrote:TiVo is the highest priced, lowest featured, viewing appliance you could buy. For $400 you get this refurbished technocrap that is entirely nonfunctional without a subscription, while most cable cos and sat providers give these away.

If you're considering this purchase, spend some time first at TiVo Community. I know this product only too well. You've been warned :P



errr, no. My Premiere, which I bought awhile ago from Woot, runs circles around the cable DVR. Like night and day difference.

Plus, I can pull my recordings off to my server, ad skip, etc. Was well worth the money I spent.

EDIT: not only that, but you can do pytivo and stream content from your computer / server to your Tivo.

Ok, I've fulfilled my advertising obligations. Next month is free!

dcinelli1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcinelli1
woottoady wrote:TiVo is the highest priced, lowest featured, viewing appliance you could buy. For $400 you get this refurbished technocrap that is entirely nonfunctional without a subscription, while most cable cos and sat providers give these away.

If you're considering this purchase, spend some time first at TiVo Community. I know this product only too well. You've been warned :P



Granted, Tivo is not perfect, but what is. I especially hate that when there's a conflict, IT decideds which program to delete or you have to manually back out and re-arrange things. BUT, with the DVR's that your cable company gives you, when your cable is out anything you have previously recorded is not available because there really isn't a hard drive in there like there is in a Tivo. I'm talking about those Scientific Atlanta boxes that seem to be everywhere, at least on Time Warner, Optimum, & Comcast in the northeast. My Tivo however, has a real hard drive and let's me watch whatever is recorded as long as there is electric( and I have a generator). A big plus. I hate TV withdrawl cold turkey during a cable outage or power outage.

dspringchicken


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dspringchicken

Suggestion: Please offer the Tivo that works with an antennae. I have one now, that I purchased direct from Tivo but an offer on Woot might force me to buy another one.

Phenomenon101


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phenomenon101
PemberDucky wrote:i feel like i should clarify, in case you're confused.
we WILL take back things that arrived broken or somehow unusable.

in other cases - even if the item wasn't necessarily defunct upon arrival, but was not quite "up to snuff" - we'll do what we can to find a resolution that makes everybody happy. if you're ever unhappy with your purchase, you can email Support@Woot.com and we'll assist however we can.

hope that helps.



So its 390 for this then an ADDITIONAL 500 for lifetime service? So im paying close to 900 for this?

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Phenomenon101 wrote:So its 390 for this then an ADDITIONAL 500 for lifetime service? So im paying close to 900 for this?



You are given TWO options:

Option 1 - $14.99 per month standard service on first box – if you are a TiVo customer already and add this box, the service will be only $12.99/month

OR

Option 2 - $499.99 product lifetime service – if you are a TiVo customer already and add this box, the service will be only $399.99/lifetime

You can choose either one after purchasing the unit.

mmmata


quality posts: 9 Private Messages mmmata

Dont forget you still have to buy and install a cable card from your cable company. Last check they will want to do the install and configure it for you.

Easily another $100 bucks in addition to wooting this here deal.

Lord John Whorfin


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin
PemberDucky wrote:i feel like i should clarify, in case you're confused.
we WILL take back things that arrived broken or somehow unusable.



Really? Because the one time I received a broken item (it was two Black & Decker battery thingies and one of them was DOA) repeated emails to Woot support went completely ignored. It wasn't a lot of money so I didn't make a stink, and it was a long time ago, but Woot did strike me by the complete non-existence of its support.

dgloff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgloff
dspringchicken wrote:Suggestion: Please offer the Tivo that works with an antennae. I have one now, that I purchased direct from Tivo but an offer on Woot might force me to buy another one.



You can get a refurb Premiere from Tivo directly for $99.

woottoady


quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
Phenomenon101 wrote:So its 390 for this then an ADDITIONAL 500 for lifetime service? So im paying close to 900 for this?

Yea... that's pretty much the deal here, even with pay as you go option, in less than 3 years, you will have paid for the $500 lifetime cost... so either way, you've got to pony up $900+.

And remember, if you ever quit TiVo, the DVR functions cease, except you're ability to playback what you have already recorded. You cannot even side load your own material without a working subscription.

tbeckwith79


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbeckwith79

For the $890 this costs you can get a real good HTPC running Win7 Pro with a CableCARD tuner and an Xbox (or echo if they ever get it working right) and still have some change in your pocket going jingle, jangle, jingle. And it will even play all your locally stored content and work with an OTA tuner (that costs less).

As far as CableCARD installation goes, the FCC has required that CableCo's allow a self install for nearly two years now but you still have to rent the CableCARD which can vary from a small monthly credit to $6/month

smithfarmer


quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithfarmer
dcinelli1 wrote:Granted, Tivo is not perfect, but what is. I especially hate that when there's a conflict, IT decideds which program to delete or you have to manually back out and re-arrange things. BUT, with the DVR's that your cable company gives you, when your cable is out anything you have previously recorded is not available because there really isn't a hard drive in there like there is in a Tivo. I'm talking about those Scientific Atlanta boxes that seem to be everywhere, at least on Time Warner, Optimum, & Comcast in the northeast. My Tivo however, has a real hard drive and let's me watch whatever is recorded as long as there is electric( and I have a generator). A big plus. I hate TV withdrawl cold turkey during a cable outage or power outage.



I don't know what you're smoking but you definitely should put down the pipe as you've obviously met your daily limitation.

I've had 2 Scientific Atlanta HD DVR's since 2004 and they both have 160GB internal hard drives and you can use them to view previously recorded shows on the rare occasion the cable actually does go out. I've even added a 500GB (Western Digital My DVR Expander) external drive to one of them which gives me well over 100 hours of HD recordings.

Review below:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2223499,00.asp

idz21


quality posts: 0 Private Messages idz21
ROGETRAY wrote:You are given TWO options:

Option 1 - $14.99 per month standard service on first box – if you are a TiVo customer already and add this box, the service will be only $12.99/month

OR

Option 2 - $499.99 product lifetime service – if you are a TiVo customer already and add this box, the service will be only $399.99/lifetime

You can choose either one after purchasing the unit.



Isn't it annoying that TiVo charges $400 to change your Lifetime subscription from one TiVo box to another? I have a TiVo Premier with 2 tuners, and would have purchased a 4 tuner version, but refuse to do so because of the high price of switching my lifetime subscription. I think at most, it should cost $50 to switch the subscription, for their "effort" to update their system to send the lifetime signal from one box to the next.

airspoon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages airspoon

TiVo is still a viable company? For that kind of money, I could build (or buy) an HTPC that is much more powerful)...

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dcinelli1 wrote:Same price as on Amazon so I guess Woot has become just another outlet for them. And you can get this for $209.99 with $7.95 shipping and NO SALES TAX unless you are in MI which is a chunk athttp://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=tcd750500&d=tivo-tcd750500-premiere-high-definition-dvr-recorder-with-4-tuners-(tcd750500)&sku=851342000988&utm_campaign=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_base

I miss the old woot



Did you count the TiVo Stream in your math? That's an additional $129 on Amazon. Add that to the $229.99 for the Tivo Premiere 4 and you're at $358.99.

At the site you mention, you can add $128 for the TiVo Stream to the $209 you quote for a total of $337.

I miss old math.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Eratosthenes


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Eratosthenes
ThunderThighs wrote:Did you count the TiVo Stream in your math? That's an additional $129 on Amazon. Add that to the $229.99 for the Tivo Premiere 4 and you're at $358.99.

At the site you mention, you can add $128 for the TiVo Stream to the $209 you quote for a total of $337.

I miss old math.



Zing!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Eratosthenes wrote:Zing!




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Parodius


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Parodius
woottoady wrote:TiVo is the highest priced, lowest featured, viewing appliance you could buy. For $400 you get this refurbished technocrap that is entirely nonfunctional without a subscription, while most cable cos and sat providers give these away.

If you're considering this purchase, spend some time first at TiVo Community. I know this product only too well. You've been warned :P



If you're technically inclined you can build your own dvr unit using scrap computer parts and a tv tuner. Look up Mythtv or XBMC if you're interested, Linux is the most common OS for these but there is support for Windows too.

tc1uscg


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg

Wow, TIVO still hawking these things? Who the heck buys these enough to keep them in business? Looks like you pay more for a subscription then you do by just getting a dvr from the cable/sat provider. Just sayin

TC1 USCG Ret

u2artv


quality posts: 0 Private Messages u2artv
Lord John Whorfin wrote:Really? Because the one time I received a broken item (it was two Black & Decker battery thingies and one of them was DOA) repeated emails to Woot support went completely ignored. It wasn't a lot of money so I didn't make a stink, and it was a long time ago, but Woot did strike me by the complete non-existence of its support.



Same happened to me with a Dyson, decided i wanted a different model, same price, before they could have possibly even shipped my other one.... absolutely NO response, ever.....