WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gun Cases and Safes

If you're man (or woman) enough to own a gun, you're man (or woman) enough to keep that gun safe. There isn't really anything else to say, is there? It's just that simple.

Quality Posts

Slacktron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Slacktron

So has Woot totally given up on taking their own product photographs? They used to have such excellent product images, and now it's just a single random low-res shot from the manufacturer.

Any chance we could see the latches on these cases? The interior? The hinge design? Things that would make this case worth $85.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Slacktron wrote:So has Woot totally given up on taking their own product photographs? They used to have such excellent product images, and now it's just a single random low-res shot from the manufacturer.

Any chance we could see the latches on these cases? The interior? The hinge design? Things that would make this case worth $85.

Yeah, sorry. Some vendors only supply us with their own art instead of samples.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

afty88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages afty88

It looks like amazon has the pistol safe for $67 shipped, but the reviews are pretty sad.

Several users were able to pry the door open quickly with little effort. Others said the door would fling open by simply dropping the safe. Others said the keypad and/or key would stop working after a while and it would take several minutes to unlock the safe legitimately.

Sounds like if you want a false sense of security, this is a good bet at $50. But if you actually want to protect against unwanted access by kids, burglars, or your crazy cousin Craig (ie, the true purpose of a safe), while still having quick access when you need it most, look elsewhere.

drummingcraig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages drummingcraig
afty88 wrote:
Sounds like if you want a false sense of security, this is a good bet at $50. But if you actually want to protect against unwanted access by kids, burglars, or your crazy cousin Craig (ie, the true purpose of a safe), while still having quick access when you need it most, look elsewhere.

Hey now...I'm not that crazy!

So are we gonna kick it - Gonna kick it woot down - Gonna break it all down - Gonna kick it woot down!

gdogmatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gdogmatt

regarding the hard case: Here are some inside pics, does not have pluck able foam.

http://www.amazon.com/Boyt-Harness-H-Series-Single-Long/dp/B004WHFRSM/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1366042276&sr=1-19&keywords=Boyt+Harness

Mathemagic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mathemagic
bmcrawfo wrote:Here are the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Secure-Vault-Electronic-Pistol/product-reviews/B000ACANXC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks for the reviews! I was about to take the plunge but decided against it...

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
Slacktron wrote:So has Woot totally given up on taking their own product photographs? They used to have such excellent product images, and now it's just a single random low-res shot from the manufacturer.

Exactly what I came here to say. I need more pictures before I can make an informed decision.

jwise1979

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jwise1979

I just wanted to say there are more reliable options out there. When it came time to secure my handgun due to a child in the house I did tons of research on a safe, secure, and reliable option. I would not trust anything electronic in this case. You may never need it, but the moment you do, you want it to do it's job.

jackmcdowell

quality posts: 18 Private Messages jackmcdowell

Does anyone have a case sized similar to the H20? I'm looking for a 5-6 pistol solution to take to the range. Thanks, Jack

loge18

quality posts: 7 Private Messages loge18
jwise1979 wrote:I just wanted to say there are more reliable options out there. When it came time to secure my handgun due to a child in the house I did tons of research on a safe, secure, and reliable option. I would not trust anything electronic in this case. You may never need it, but the moment you do, you want it to do it's job.

Wondering what you decided was the best? Seems like all the gun safes always have bad reviews, I'd appreciate anyone pointing me in a solid direction!

Skunkmonkey

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Skunkmonkey

I'm in for the carbine hard case. perfect size for one of my rifles, and I don't care if it doesnt have pick-and-pluck foam, I'm no stranger to some customization.

Member of the Order of the Cockatrice

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

Nuts, I was looking for a safe and it's already sold out!

Realistically it's very hard to find a handgun safe that will protect against anything but cursory attempts to open it, but it's better than nothing. At least this one appears to have a tubular lock...

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I'd get the shotgun case if it didn't have someone else's name on it!

ianwcarlsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianwcarlsen
firebirdude wrote:Exactly what I came here to say. I need more pictures before I can make an informed decision.

I'm in for 3 of the H48's. These are quality products to the equivalent level of Pelican case. hopefully that helps. I personally like the latch system on these more than Pelican cases

msmmain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msmmain

the category is Gun Cases and "Safes" plural, but there's only the one safe. I was hoping there'd be more safe options than that. What a letdown

h0lyc0w

quality posts: 0 Private Messages h0lyc0w

Too bad this one sold out so fast. Can you bring on some more?

vcoop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vcoop

I agree, need more safes. I was so excited, as our baby is becoming mobile, but was such a let down. If only I had gotten up at 1:20am, I may have gotten one.

star6997

quality posts: 0 Private Messages star6997

Hey Jwise, just had a son (9 months ago) can you give me any recommendation for gun cases. I am guessing you did some research and would appreciate a point in the right direction. thx

IronDave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IronDave

I have been using this safe to secure a pistol at home in a ready-to-use condition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H3QGJS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it because it is entirely mechanical. I have programmed the Simplex lock with a combination that I believe I can do without looking, under duress. I hope I never find out for sure.

The construction on this is very stout, with the lid/door overlapping so that prying it open is harder. I am sure that it will keep the merely curious from getting at the pistol inside.

Iron Dave

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

I would rate safes as these only to keep your kids out, not someone trying to steal it. It wouldn't be hard for them just to pick it up and walk off with it. If it's bolted down, that's only a minor inconvenience. These are good for keeping your kids safe (in addition to proper training and respect). If you want to keep your weapons safe, look for an upright safe and it'll cost 10 to 20 times more.

dviglino wrote:Nuts, I was looking for a safe and it's already sold out!

Realistically it's very hard to find a handgun safe that will protect against anything but cursory attempts to open it, but it's better than nothing. At least this one appears to have a tubular lock...

dcguser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcguser
PhilCarr wrote:I would rate safes as these only to keep your kids out, not someone trying to steal it. It wouldn't be hard for them just to pick it up and walk off with it. If it's bolted down, that's only a minor inconvenience. These are good for keeping your kids safe (in addition to proper training and respect). If you want to keep your weapons safe, look for an upright safe and it'll cost 10 to 20 times more.

Precisely. There is a ton of good information out there that demonstrates that nearly all the small handgun safes can be defeated by someone with a few simple tools. For me, it is to keep it away from the kids. As noted, the first and most important layer of security is education for those in ones house.

That said, I picked up the following safe from Walmart and have been very pleased with it. I keep a XD9sc in it plus an additional mag as well as a flashlight and it's perfect for this. It is small, so only one firearm is going to fit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051AM818/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1532201582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002KEIU4W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1M50BPVWZCQ11V3A39HK

forlizrd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forlizrd

Any chance that you may be getting any more of these gun cases in?

shohnboy3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shohnboy3

Missed it! Please bring this back...

katkiller

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katkiller
ThunderThighs wrote:Yeah, sorry. Some vendors only supply us with their own art instead of samples.

I guess the vendor didn't what woot getting the product and destroying it. Showing how Yellow Brick Road of a gun safe it is.

pan1x

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pan1x

In for the shotgun case, I've been looking for something cheap to lug my 870 around!

brandonhbrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandonhbrown

I use a BARSKA biometric safe for my weapon, and it has served me well. I have it bolted into my nightstand:

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Opening-Biometric-Fingerprint-Safe/dp/B004FO37AC/ref=pd_sim_sg_6

ObsessiveCompulsive

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ObsessiveCompulsive
forlizrd wrote:Any chance that you may be getting any more of these gun cases in?

I hope to however if not these I'm sure we'll have others in the future.