WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Today Scott's lost his mind and gathered a bunch of people you've probably never heard of because they have names that don't sound like rock stars. Yeah, we know. He's just been under a lot of pressure lately, okay? Anyway, take a look, maybe you'll have a few ideas of your own...

Grayson Hugh - Talk It Over

The late '80s were sort of like rock's midlife crisis. All the new stuff was in electronic music and hip hop wasn't yet mainstream, but all the classic bands were either broken up or sucking.  That context should explain why a guy who dressed like a Guardian Angel could stick two backup singers in suitcases and score a minor hit, all with a name like "Grayson." To be fair, he's not a bad singer, but the moment he was up against a guy named Ice T, poor Grayson had no chance.

See you after the jump for what might end up being our least-read Music Monday of all time. Wish us luck!

As always, remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Phone Calls and you'll enjoy it, possibly more than this week's theme. But before you start reminiscing, brave our current Music Monday below.

Jimmy Hamen with Synch

How could anyone have survived the 1980s without making a video or having a crazy cover? Well, Jimmy Hamen found a way, and pushed this wuss-rock classic all the way to number 10 on the Billboard charts. To be fair to Mr. Hamen, the song was originally credited to just Synch, but it didn't become a "hit" until his perfectly normal, un-rock star name was added to the label. Spoiler warning: you old punks in the audience will probably find this unlistenable.

Charlie Dore - Pilot Of The Airwaves

There are many famous Charlies out there, sure, but Ms. Dore here… well, maybe it's just me, but the name "Charlie Dore" just seems so flat. Maybe that's why the songs she wrote for other people did better. Sort of like the Cathy Dennis of the 80's. Hey, if you don't get that reference, it's on you.

Martin Briley - Salt In My Tears NSFW if you've got a very strict boss

Martin, welcome to the stage, because you're the exception that proves the rule. A completely respectable series of licks, sexism, and tunesmithing that can stand proudly beside Foreigner and The Fixx, this song still gets airplay even today on some classic rock stations! And yet, when you picture a stadium chanting out a name, it's never going to be "MAR! TIN! BRI! LEY!" Not your fault, Martin, but if you'd gone with Marty Uranus you might have had more than, say, a few straight decades of work as a well-respected session man.

Bertie Higgins - Key Largo

I'm gonna be honest with you, Bertie. I pretty much hate you. I hate your '70s beard, I hate your blue-collar yacht rock, and I hate how you were everywhere on my radio when I was a little kid no matter what I did. But, more than anything else, I hate that nickname. However I do have to add that I can't help but respect how you're apparently a direct descendant of Johann Wolfgang Goethe. So maybe we can make a deal. You stay on your side of the world, and I'll stay on mine, and we can both do our own things without ever having to meet again. Fair enough?

If, somehow, you've got a contribution this week, drop it in the comments below. If not, look at this insane idea with shock in your eyes, then take refuge in our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

hefty244

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hefty244

I'm gonna go out on a limb and reply to this wackadoodle Music Monday with Rick Astley.

I mean--really--Rick Astley?? If he sounded ANYTHING like his name (or his looks) implied, he never would have gotten airplay. And, I'm not gonna imbed or include a link lest I be accused of Rick-Rolling y'all!

optia

quality posts: 10 Private Messages optia

Mookla the Ook.

Seriously, a band named after a character from Thundarr the Barbarian?

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

optia wrote:Mookla the Ook.

Seriously, a band named after a character from Thundarr the Barbarian?

The best part to me is that you reversed the name. Either that or there's two bands named after Thundarr characters.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

sleepyheadkc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sleepyheadkc

I'll submit Matt Nathanson. The guy's got hit records, despite a name which is forgettable enough that I had to Google it for this post.

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

Brian and Michael...

(even if there was no Brian, the second guy was Kevin)

dougall

(NSFW - Strong Language)

what sort of a name is this anyways?

CatCK

quality posts: 52 Private Messages CatCK

How about totally generic names like Jack White and Patti Smith.

Zames

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zames

Well, I guess Jimmy's name is so un-memorable that you got it wrong. It's "Jimmy Harnen". Granted, and "r" and and "n" next to each other do look a lot like an "m" --- except when they are written in upper case (as they do on the picture of the single WHICH ACCOMPANIED the article)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Harnen

Truth,
James

dougall

CatCK wrote:How about totally generic names like Jack White and Patti Smith.

or just the Smiths?

mossygreen

quality posts: 75 Private Messages mossygreen

I'm at work, so my post will be linkless, but the obvious choice is Norman Greenbaum's single hit, Spirit in the Sky.

The slightly less obvious choice is Chad & Jeremy. When I get home, I will scare up videos of them on the Flying Monkeys Van Dyke Show and Batman, if possible.

Trivia question: Was it Chad or Jeremy who slept with a teenaged Marianne Faithfull?

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

Thanks, Mossy. I've been trying to remember Norman Greenbaum's name all day.

How about Marc Cohn?

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

Before coming up with the name Pearl Jam, the band was known as "Mookie Blaylock", because they happened to have his among a collection of basketball cards.

jonesy47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonesy47
vigilante1987 wrote:Thanks, Mossy. I've been trying to remember Norman Greenbaum's name all day.

How about Marc Cohn?

Yeah, I never could figure out how come Marc Cohn and Grayson Hugh didn't have better careers. Two good songs, with good videos.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Forget the name, The whole dude didn't even belong in rock music but he made (and still continues to make) incredible music. I saw the documentary on this guy and it was incredibly heart breaking. This was actually My #1SADCD for Sunday, so it's kinda funny we went with this topic.

Daniel Johnston - Love Wheel

LarryLars

quality posts: 67 Private Messages LarryLars
mossygreen wrote:I'm at work, so my post will be linkless, but the obvious choice is Norman Greenbaum's single hit, Spirit in the Sky.

The slightly less obvious choice is Chad & Jeremy. When I get home, I will scare up videos of them on the Flying Monkeys Van Dyke Show and Batman, if possible.

Trivia question: Was it Chad or Jeremy who slept with a teenaged Marianne Faithfull?

Jeremy Clyde

How about those who were smart enough to change their names?

Robert Zimmerman would have been a strange name, but somehow morphed into Bob Dylan. Gordon Sumner became Sting.

!
Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

mossygreen

vigilante1987 wrote:Thanks, Mossy. I've been trying to remember Norman Greenbaum's name all day.

Any time! It's just one of those names that goes into and then right out of one's head, isn't it?

mossygreen

Boy, it kind of turned into a crappy day, didn't it?

Thank goodness for musicians with unmemorable names.

In that spirit, I give you Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart; something that somebody really wanted to make happen.

mossygreen

LarryLars wrote:Jeremy Clyde

How about those who were smart enough to change their names?

Robert Zimmerman would have been a strange name, but somehow morphed into Bob Dylan. Gordon Sumner became Sting.

Good job! I wish I had a prize for you.

As for name changes, T. Rex probably wouldn't have gotten as big in the UK headed by Mark Feld. And not that Lydia Lunch or James Chance are particularly successful or well known, but they would have probably been even less so as Lydia Koch and James Siegfried. Oh, and Henry Rollins wouldn't be such a badass (I'm being kind of sarcastic, as I can't stand any of his work) as Henry Garfield.

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

Most name changes came from the urgings of their producers. Richard Starkey became Ring Starr.
John Mellencamp started out as John Cougar, which infuriated him. He changed it back once he was big enough and had enough clout that he could make it stick without affecting his carreer.

Dikaios

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dikaios

A guy named Grayson worked at my job before I did. An older fellow named Paul, who always calls me Joseph or Jason instead of my name, at one point, grasping for the name "Grayson" called this poor young man "Gaylord."

kristamaz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kristamaz
Zames wrote:Well, I guess Jimmy's name is so un-memorable that you got it wrong. It's "Jimmy Harnen". Granted, and "r" and and "n" next to each other do look a lot like an "m" --- except when they are written in upper case (as they do on the picture of the single WHICH ACCOMPANIED the article)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Harnen

Thanks for saving me the time and posting exactly what I was going to write!