• 8.7% - Yes. I did. It was the best thing ever. 241
  • 47.9% - Yes, I did. It was okay, I guess. 1328
  • 7.9% - Yes, I did. I wish I hadn’t. 219
  • 1.9% - No, I didn’t. Boo hoo hoo hoo. 54
  • 10% - No, I didn’t. I don’t really dwell on it, though. 278
  • 22.8% - No, I didn’t. By choice. 633
  • 0.7% - I WANT TO TALK ABOUT PROMS IN THE COMMENTS 19
2772 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

connorbush

quality posts: 2 Private Messages connorbush

Went to Prom my sophomore year and not my senior year. I did not fret it at the time but, now, I wish I had gone. Damn you hindsight.

cxb262

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cxb262

Yes... I'm one of those guys who eventually married my prom date.

aurelianblasian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aurelianblasian

I wanted to but my mom couldn't afford it. I really wanna get dressed up and go to some type of formal event . I'm 31 and still have never bought a fancy gown .

Earl Wajdyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Earl Wajdyk

Went to my Jr. Prom ... OK. But went to two Sr. Proms w. Ladies I knew. One OK, one great!

Summary: Mine wasn't worth it, so skipped the Sr. Bunch of elitist slobs. One of the others was a local gal, one I'd played hop-scotch with! No one had asked her, and she was a really good kid. Had fun.

Other was a close friend, and we had a blast. Drove 90 miles afterwards to go to N.Y., got there as everything was closing, but we had a great trip! 'Nuff Said!

Xntric

Earl Wajdyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Earl Wajdyk
aurelianblasian wrote:I wanted to but my mom couldn't afford it. I really wanna get dressed up and go to some type of formal event . I'm 31 and still have never bought a fancy gown .

If I weren't 76 and married, I'd make it up to you!

Xntric

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

I think I went.. I can't remember for sure.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

mytdawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mytdawg

I wasn't exactly invited. I had developed somewhat of a reputation as a troublemaker I fear.

PCA123PCA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PCA123PCA

Life without PROMs would be really sad- we would still be toggling in boot scripts for our smart phones.

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz

I dropped out of HS in the 2nd year. Never regretted attending a prom and later went to Jr.college for 2 years on a letter of recommendation.

w3kn

quality posts: 8 Private Messages w3kn

Broke up with my girlfriend 2 months before my senior prom. Opted to go to an NHL game instead of prom. I heard I had a better time at the game than people did at prom.

79 woots and counting!

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

As a 16-year-old super nerd senior, I was too busy getting ready for college to worry about a prom. And I still don't miss it.

kudru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kudru

Was playing a concert the night of the prom.
Went out with more girls as a result anyway. We danced harder, and they were more forward in the end.

illinoisjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illinoisjohn

I didn't go to my prom, but my first date was a blind date to my wife's (one year younger) senior prom. We now have 48 years of wedded bliss, that prom date was great, I had known about her for three years in high school, didn't consider her as dating material since we traveled in different circles. Found out that Prom of hers that we really clicked, had the same ideas about things, the same plans for the future, and the same basic values. From my experience I highly recommend Prom attendance.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

The Proms at my high school were called Jr/Sr Proms because both attended. Missed my Jr year because I had tickets to go see Jimi Hendrix. 5 of us skipped school that day and drove across the state to go to the concert. Got there early afternoon and was able to slip in to the arena before all the security showed up. Did not get to meet Hendrix but did meet and talk with Mitch Mitchel (drummer) and Noel Redding (Bass) for an hour or so. We even ran to a local store and picked them up some beer. They were grateful but it did not get us back stage or better seats. lol I did attend my Sr year. Between the date, tux rental, etc. Going to see Hendrix the year before was not only more enjoyable but it also cost less.

chocoboomelette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chocoboomelette

I'm not a huge fan of proms, but I have been to five of them. Junior prom with a girl in my class, senior prom with a different girl whom was a sophomore at the time, then both her junior and senior proms and then another one with a different girl.

oddsbeater1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oddsbeater1

I reluctantly went to my prom because I got nominated for "KING" and was very afraid it would turn into a "Carrie" moment if I won. The fact is, it was 1967 and I don't think that book had even been written yet but...I've digressed. I was what I felt to be a nerd and a nobody in school. I thought my nomination for KING was a joke, making me think twice about going. I went anyway and was, to my surprise, crowned KING with no pigs blood or anything. It was a great night and I still don't believe it happened to ME!

I think, therefore.."I-M".

derwood1999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derwood1999

I went to 5 proms. 1 per year Sophomore through 2 years out. Could have went to a few more but felt a little creepy showing off that I was dating high schoolers still.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Wasn't really the prom type of person. Why spend $500 on rented clothes and limos just to go back to school, dance arms-length apart, and drink Hawaiian Punch. When I could be in nice normal clothes and a high-end restaurant with my girlfriend, then over to a house party with no rules. "The experience of prom" argument does nothing for me.

spirit9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spirit9

I really never liked the high school I attended. Moved down south because my dad got transferred. Never did understand them. A notorious place for cliques. I can't remember what I did that night, but I sure didn't go to that prom.

dymongoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dymongoose

I was homeschooled, so no prom of my own, but I did get invited to a prom and a "Jr./Sr. Banquet" by girls that I worked with... in hindsight, they were both 3 years younger than me. Kind of odd for that age group.

bobconger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobconger

Yes I went to my prom and I asked my girlfriend to marry me! That was 54 years ago and we celebrate 55 in October!

Echoedchaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Echoedchaos

Dated a girl a year older, so I went to her Senior Prom. Next year, we went to my Senior Prom. New girlfriend was a year younger, so I went to her Senior Prom. Three years in a row. Not one was memorable. That was all over a decade ago.

~Echoed Chaos~
like chaos, only more echoey...

veritas413

quality posts: 0 Private Messages veritas413

Hosted a LAN Party for myself and everyone else that didn't really want to go. Had fantastic turnout. CounterStrike and Warcraft3 are WAY better than a small-town prom, IMHO.

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
Earl Wajdyk wrote:Went to my Jr. Prom ... OK. But went to two Sr. Proms w. Ladies I knew. One OK, one great!

Summary: Mine wasn't worth it, so skipped the Sr. Bunch of elitist slobs. One of the others was a local gal, one I'd played hop-scotch with! No one had asked her, and she was a really good kid. Had fun.

Other was a close friend, and we had a blast. Drove 90 miles afterwards to go to N.Y., got there as everything was closing, but we had a great trip! 'Nuff Said!

Junior Prom - went with my girlfriend; sucked. Broke up the next day.

Senior Prom - went with a girl who I was friends with; awesome! Had a great time.

With the girlfriend it was built up to be something romantic. Lollypop Guild. With the friend, it was about hanging out with all our friends and having a great time. Deluxe!

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

Went only to Sr. Prom with my buddies. We all batched it....or perhaps could not get dates. The proms at my school were jr/sr only so the sr guys dating the so gals got the sophs in. I'm guessing many of them paid the price. Our prom had dinner and a dance. I went to the dinner and skipped the dance. This was before post-proms were in vogue.

spoklan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spoklan

I was always too shy to ask a girl - you know, the typical Band Geek, good grades, science club, blah blah blah until my Sr. year (oh god... 30 years ago) when I had a great GF and we had plans to go. Well, I had the opportunity to try out for a Drum and Bugle Corps...and got in!

So, while my classmates were at Prom, myself and two others were 700 miles away at a rehearsal weekend camp thingy ... heh.
GF was totally cool with it.

Generally more random than you ever though possible.

Castlevania

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Castlevania

I went to a small private, religious school, and our version of the prom was called the Junior/Senior Banquet. It was only for 11th and 12th graders. My 11th grade year, I was expelled, and couldn't attend. My senior year, I went solo. There were slim pickings, as my graduating class was only 10 people.

orv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orv

I was the kid even the other geeks made fun of, at my school. Didn't go to prom, partly because any girl would have laughed off my invitation, but mostly because at that point in my life I'd realized that my only hope of surviving high school was to interact as little as possible with other people.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
olperfesser wrote:As a 16-year-old super nerd senior, I was too busy getting ready for college to worry about a prom. And I still don't miss it.

Going off to college at 16 I'm sure was much better then any prom could be. You're obviously very intelligent. I hope you went far with your education and life in general.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

schilma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schilma

I went to senior prom with a girl who was kind of in love with one of my friends (he and his wife are awesome people, I'm not sure I talked to my prom date more than three days after prom)

Anyway, I'm gay, and the date was worthless, but the prom was awesome. It was at The Plaza (Yes THAT Plaza, 59th and 5th) About ten of us took an 'Accessaride' van (the disabled people van--why, because it was hilarious) to the prom, and got off right out front, where every chick flick has the horse-drawn carriage pull up. we piled out. a friend got kicked off the piano in the lobby for playing 'piano man' (our unofficial class song, even tho it was 20 years old) and we had an all-together awesome time.