WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Bacon Freak Bacon

We're trying to identify the ultimate craze. Here's what we've got so far: a dubstep country song about a dance that you can do alongside a popular television figure wearing a new type of jacket that's also made from bacon. What do you think? Have we got it yet? Or should bacon be in there twice?

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

I *love* me some bacon, but I have trouble justifying $17-$23 per pound for even the most glorious of bacon.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

I'd need to bring home a lot more bacon to pay for this bacon.

mikes123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikes123

"Remember when we declared bacon was over? Ah, man, we were so naive back then.
Gatzby"

No, you've just consumed too many nitrites, so you've lost rational thought.

Really, bacon is over.

ldsmom7566

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ldsmom7566
sdownin wrote:I *love* me some bacon, but I have trouble justifying $17-$23 per pound for even the most glorious of bacon.

DITTO;...SAME HERE!! (Love Bacon, but just CANNOT justify prices this high.) Sorry woot.

kingmny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingmny

A friend of mine bought me a 3 month "bacon of the month club" subscription to this company. I have to say it was the best bacon I have ever had and while I wouldn't purchase it all the time because of the price it is definitely something you should try or even purchase as a treat for the bacon lover in your life.

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob
mikes123 wrote:"Remember when we declared bacon was over? Ah, man, we were so naive back then.
Gatzby"

Really, bacon is over.

It really is. I don't want to buy overpriced online bacon. If I want bacon I'll get it at the grocery store.

rjanecek2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rjanecek2

Shame Woot! Why can't I just buy a T-Shirt?

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 30 Private Messages skispeakeasy

No Honey BBQ? Pass.

Done and done! ;)

jcerullo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jcerullo

20 bucks for less than a pound of bacon? Seriously? Local bacon here goes for $6 a pound, and that's locally raised, ZOMG-free-range-piggys-tucked-in-every-night animals.

No bueno.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

I don't know why people are commenting to woot about these prices, they didn't set them.

bacon freak just can't sell this anywhere else so they brought it here.

I always did like yardsales.

houghtm1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages houghtm1

wait wait wait wait.... are we really saying here that this bacon, at 43% off, is STILL $20?!?!

And to think, I was actually going to buy it, thinking that I would get 1 of each flavor. Not ONE 14 ounce pack! Thats not cool.

justanotherwooter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justanotherwooter

Bacon is proof that God loves us and does NOT want us to be vegetarians!

CarpeDiem601

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CarpeDiem601
mikes123 wrote:"Remember when we declared bacon was over? Ah, man, we were so naive back then.
Gatzby"

Really, bacon is over.

Have you ever heard of uncured bacon? It does not contain nitrites or nitrates. I only buy uncured bacon for this reason.

mcglamerye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcglamerye

If you go straight to baconfreak.com, you can buy this bundle plus a few extras for less than the Woot price. Their site offers a code for 40% off all bundles. So buy through Woot and pay more!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mcglamerye wrote:If you go straight to baconfreak.com, you can buy this bundle plus a few extras for less than the Woot price. Their site offers a code for 40% off all bundles. So buy through Woot and pay more!

The 40% is only offered on one of their bundles and it's not one that we are selling.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mikes123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikes123
CarpeDiem601 wrote:Have you ever heard of uncured bacon? It does not contain nitrites or nitrates.

Actually, it contains both.
And more of it.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick
mikes123 wrote:Actually, it contains both.
And more of it.

The same article you linked references the fact that nitrites have not been conclusively shown to be bad for you...

They lost their minds, but it had nothing to do with the bacon.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

Yeah, at that price bacon really is done.

Got any more coffins?

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 30 Private Messages skispeakeasy
alanhwoot wrote:Yeah, at that price bacon really is done.

Got any more coffins?

Thanks for posting this. This was one of my favorite wootcasts.

Done and done! ;)

ninotchka22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninotchka22
luke975 wrote:I don't know why people are commenting to woot about these prices, they didn't set them.

bacon freak just can't sell this anywhere else so they brought it here.

Actually, Woot does set their prices. Stores give them a recommended price to sell their goods at but Woot makes the final decision, sometimes giving themselves an extra profit cushion.

mieky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mieky

Now that they're selling bacon, do you think they'll add Food Stamps as a payment option?

Degree: Doctor of Dental Surgery
Woot-off: priceless

Don't forget to brush your teeth...

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
ninotchka22 wrote:Actually, Woot does set their prices. Stores give them a recommended price to sell their goods at but Woot makes the final decision, sometimes giving themselves an extra profit cushion.

this has to be a first. You joined in 2011 and your first post is to correct me on how prices are set. you seem to know alot about this for not posting much.

have you worked at woot for a long time?

And yes I do believe that woot dictates prices for the stuff they own.
However not everything sold on here is owned by woot.
I believe some companies bring stuff to this site for the exposure woot can offer them to sell products that are either not that good or are a very unique item.

I always did like yardsales.

ninotchka22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninotchka22
luke975 wrote:this has to be a first. You joined in 2011 and your first post is to correct me on how prices are set. you seem to know alot about this for not posting much.

I don't work for Woot, just spreading some truth!
I believe some companies bring stuff to this site for the exposure woot can offer them to sell products that are either not that good or are a very unique item.

I don't work for Woot, just spreading some truth!

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

Wow, that's some expensive bacon. I'm sure this is good stuff, but what I've found out about fancy, gourmet bacon is that I don't like it as much as the plain old farmer john center cut, or the Hormel Natural Choice bacon (for when I'm feeling spendy and fork out $6 for 12oz of bacon). If I was a chef on Iron Chef, though, I'm sure these types of bacon would be exactly what I'd want.

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

If only this was made from pata negra pigs, i could understand the price. I'm thinking this is from a company trying to take advantage of the bacon craze. I'm just seeing bacon with flavors not typically found in stores.

chefbooyadee

quality posts: 38 Private Messages chefbooyadee

Add me to the list of people who were "oh hey, alright!....um...wait a minute...wow".

This bacon is really expensive; you're far better off just getting butcher bacon and marinating it with your choice of flavor instead.

windtalkermom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages windtalkermom

Maybe too much bacon has gone to my head. 14 + 14 + 14 + 16= 58 ounces. 6 ounces (almost 50%) less than a pound. And less than 4 pounds. Less than the statement: "With each package of addicting bacon weighing in at a pound." Not 'almost a pound'. Pass.

santista

quality posts: 0 Private Messages santista

Just not worth it. no woot for this bacon today!

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17

Since I started making my own bacon it's hard to choke down the store bought stuff.Especially when the best bacon I've ever had costs me less than $5 a pound.I'd encourage anyone to try it.A quick internet search will bring up more than you ever need to know about it.Shockingly easy.
That said,I'm sure the stuff here is many times better than the stuff in the supermarket.

easpangler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages easpangler

I just want the toothpicks

dave17

CarpeDiem601 wrote:Have you ever heard of uncured bacon? It does not contain nitrites or nitrates. I only buy uncured bacon for this reason.

Uncured bacon is a disgusting lie.It DOES have nitrates,some even has MORE than "regular"bacon(Cooks Illustrated lab tests).Check the ingredients.Celery juice powder turns into-guess what!Nitrates!This is a disgusting scam and people are committing fraud.
And there is NO evidence that nitrates/nitrites are unhealthy unless you are in the habit of burning your food.

dave17

luke975 wrote:this has to be a first. You joined in 2011 and your first post is to correct me on how prices are set. you seem to know alot about this for not posting much.

Just curious,how long have you worked for woot?Do you"believe"or do you KNOW what you are stating is a fact?Seems like an unlikely arrangement to me.Perhaps Thunderthighs can clear this up?

Also,how does someone's posting history translate into accurate knowledge of Woot's business practices?I don't get it.

yellowhorse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yellowhorse
ldsmom7566 wrote:DITTO;...SAME HERE!! (Love Bacon, but just CANNOT justify prices this high.) Sorry woot.

Ditto, also!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Settle down, peeps.

On pricing:

As in any retail operation there are different pricing methods. Some retailers require that you set the price to their guidelines. Some sell you the stuff and it's up to you to set the price depending on the profit you want/hope to make. I'm sure there are more too but those are the two I'm aware of.

How these were set? Dunno. Not my job. But if can't get a price down to something we're comfortable with, we don't buy it.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

offbdw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages offbdw
easpangler wrote:I just want the toothpicks

ditto

sakataguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakataguy

I just think the Notes: section should have included a warning that the Bacon wasn't Kosher.

And Yes!, it's WAY overpriced.
And No!, Bacon isn't done. It's bacon! It might be ready, but it's never done.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
ThunderThighs wrote:Settle down, peeps.

On pricing:

As in any retail operation there are different pricing methods. Some retailers require that you set the price to their guidelines. Some sell you the stuff and it's up to you to set the price depending on the profit you want/hope to make. I'm sure there are more too but those are the two I'm aware of.

How these were set? Dunno. Not my job. But if can't get a price down to something we're comfortable with, we don't buy it.

You didn't get the price down to something I'm comfortable with, so I won't buy it.