WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Museum Art

We love museums, but we're tried of all the rules, rules, rules. What can we say? Sometimes we want to touch the paintings, and sometimes we want to use flash photography. So you know what? We decided to just bring the museum to our homes. Take that security guard who keeps telling us to bring our voices down!

pvslick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pvslick

The Creation of Adam is from the Sistine chapel ceiling and is a Michelangelo, not a da Vinci.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444
pvslick wrote:The Creation of Adam is from the Sistine chapel ceiling and is a Michelangelo, not a da Vinci.

good call

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

how are the quality of these prints? the last offered had some bad reviews. an earlier offering, which i purchased, turned out to be great. anyone know?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pvslick wrote:The Creation of Adam is from the Sistine chapel ceiling and is a Michelangelo, not a da Vinci.

Whoops. Sent it in for fixin'.
Update: And it's fixed.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

Are there any depth to these paintings? or are they just flat inkjet prints on canvas?

bitblender

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bitblender

Color quality

There seems to be a lot of difference between this and

seee the color of the boats

http://www.art.com/asp/mountshop/default.asp/_/mt--3/pd--10278906/sp--a/posters.htm?PODConfigID=0&ui=CA52AE116DF24DDA93A9A2BAA84F4284

starryeyedsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages starryeyedsky
bitblender wrote:Color quality

There seems to be a lot of difference between this and

seee the color of the boats

http://www.art.com/asp/mountshop/default.asp/_/mt--3/pd--10278906/sp--a/posters.htm?PODConfigID=0&ui=CA52AE116DF24DDA93A9A2BAA84F4284

Yeah, and the color from the photo of the original Great Wave at Kanagawa is different than the one on the woot site and the one on art.com.
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/JP1847

kz585

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kz585

I love when people say I love art and goes and buy all the older works.

If you love art, support your local artist...or one still kicking around at least.

Secunza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Secunza
kz585 wrote:I love when people say I love art and goes and buy all the older works.

If you love art, support your local artist...or one still kicking around at least.

So, if I love art I'm not allowed to like the work of an artist unless he is local or alive ?

That makes sense... except I don't live in dumberworld.

fjp999

quality posts: 14 Private Messages fjp999
ThunderThighs wrote:Whoops. Sent it in for fixin'.
Update: And it's fixed.

TT can you tell us who is putting these masterpieces out? and what the quality is like?

Thanks a lot.

starryeyedsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages starryeyedsky
kz585 wrote:I love when people say I love art and goes and buy all the older works.

Wow, I read your statement and the following popped into my head: "Don't go read Bram Stoker's Dracula, read Twilight instead because the author is alive and kicking!"

A good piece of art is a good piece of art, regardless of whether is is an old classic masterpiece or a new work by a local artist. I'm all for suporting local artists, but if their work is crap, I'm not supporting them just because they are alive. Van Gogh is one of the greatest artists to have ever lived (some argue greatest period), people shouldn't be disallowed to purchase a print of his work just because he is dead.

(For reference this is coming from someone who owns both prints of older works as well as original artwork from artists still alive and kicking)

lwang

there's plenty of living artists that's on their last breath, barely holding a brush in their deathbed and smearing some paint on a continuous stream of prints for embellishments. Once they pass, those smears will pay your kids way thru community college.

Craigmar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Craigmar

Trendy Man: Mr. Melon, your wife was just showing us her Klimt.
Thornton Melon: You too, huh? She's shown it to everybody.
Trendy Man: Well, she's very proud of it.
Thornton Melon: I'm proud of mine too. I don't go waving it around at parties, though.

owace

quality posts: 2 Private Messages owace

I'd love to know more about the quality of these.

The color already seems to be off vs. other prints / the originals. Is this just poor presentation, or should we expect the colors to match the originals?

Also are these simple flat prints on canvas? (I'm going to guess yes since otherwise it would mention paint... doh!).

thanks

owace

hardcandy189

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hardcandy189
owace wrote:I'd love to know more about the quality of these.

The color already seems to be off vs. other prints / the originals. Is this just poor presentation, or should we expect the colors to match the originals?

Also are these simple flat prints on canvas? (I'm going to guess yes since otherwise it would mention paint... doh!).

thanks

owace

I purchased art from a previous sale, different artists but same company, and the quality was great. I love it!! They are printed on canvas so there are no raised brushstrokes or anything like that. But the canvas and way it was stretched was great. As far as the color quality goes, I am not sure how they compare to the original works so I cannot comment on that part.

joshshaman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshshaman

It should be fulfillment not fuf

owace

hardcandy189 wrote:I purchased art from a previous sale, different artists but same company, and the quality was great. I love it!! They are printed on canvas so there are no raised brushstrokes or anything like that. But the canvas and way it was stretched was great. As far as the color quality goes, I am not sure how they compare to the original works so I cannot comment on that part.

would you mind sharing the Company? I'm debating between this, or a giclee (expensive option) / (cheaper option) poster that i can frame myself.

lwang

owace wrote:would you mind sharing the Company? I'm debating between this, or a giclee (expensive option) / (cheaper option) poster that i can frame myself.

if you want to spend this kind of money, maybe you can spend a little more and opt for a numbered serigraph from an known living artist that paints in one of these styles. You won't get people coming over and knowing right away what you have on the wall is a badly reproduced fake. Many serigraphs has additional embossments that gives it some sort of texture.

But if you insist on famous artist reproductions, it is likely better one that was painted, especially if the artist are impressionist style where there is heavy reliance on the oil paint's brush stroke. A painted reproduction might not look as authentic, but it should have the depth of the original's...like these:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-painted-Vincent-van-Gogh-Reproduction-on-Canvas-Set-of-2/3819361/product.html

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant

if these art canvases are from the same source as the canvases offered in honor of van gogh's birthday a few weeks ago, i would not recommend them. i'm currently in the process of returning the two canvases i bought because the images are quite blurry/out of focus. if you're about 25 feet away, they're fine, but my plans were to hang them in my living room and guest bedroom, and at standard viewing distances, the lack of clarity in a 32x48" piece is really obvious.

however, i will note that the colors of the canvases were very rich and vibrant, which was a pleasant surprise, and they were packed and shipped to arrive in pristine condition—a task that can be difficult with large and potentially fragile items.

(BTW, i have another van gogh canvas reproduction that i purchased a few years ago from an art sale to compare against the ones i received here, so my disapproval is not just a lack of experience with the difference between canvas images and prints.)

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

hardcandy189

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hardcandy189
owace wrote:would you mind sharing the Company? I'm debating between this, or a giclee (expensive option) / (cheaper option) poster that i can frame myself.

I thought it was same company that is offering these museum pieces but now I am not sure. When you look at the individual pieces, they all say Trademark which I am guessing is the company name. The one I bought was a really cool map. I looked up the map I bought on Amazon, it says Trademark in it as well so that leads me to believe they are the same company. But I cannot swear to it. Woot Event http://www.woot.com/plus/michael-tompsett-canvas-art
Amazon Link http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Tompsett-Watercolor-Art-47-Inch/dp/B009VXVXCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1366291663&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+tompsett

It does not seem to be the same company as the Van Gogh one mentioned. I Googled that sale and it is a different company. This is the link to that sale. http://www.woot.com/plus/artwall-van-gogh-canvas-art

Hope that helps some.

roundbadge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roundbadge
lwang wrote:if you want to spend this kind of money, maybe you can spend a little more and opt for a numbered serigraph from an known living artist that paints in one of these styles. You won't get people coming over and knowing right away what you have on the wall is a badly reproduced fake.

Good God, I never thought of this. I certainly wouldn't want someone to know that I can't afford an original Van Gogh on my tech-support salary. Thanks for the advice!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

These are by the same company that did the Tompsett art we sold earlier.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

owace

thanks for the help guys! I just went down the rabbit hole for "reproduction art that you want to hang on your wall"

:hypnotizedface:

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I guy I knew in Santa Barbara owned a gallery.

An LA/Hollywood type came in and (of course) said, "I don't know much abnout art, but I know what I like."

The gallery owner asked the fellow what he liked, and when the guy finished, the gallery owner said, "You're right!

You don't know much about art!"

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.