WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Digital vs physical. Which do you prefer overall?
  • 53.5% - Digital. I can fit everything I own in my pocket. 984
  • 31.8% - Physical. I like to be able to lend my books and CDs to people. 585
  • 14.6% - Astral. I’m Dr. Strange. OooOOOOOOoooOOOOOOoooooooo 269
1838 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

VooDooPC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VooDooPC

I've bought games on Steam even when I already owned a physically copy. Preparing for Y3K.

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

Although I do have a music server with ~1.5 TB of music, I still buy 99% of my music con Vinyl, Cassettes, CDs, SACDs, etc.

All my books are in printed form. E-readers scare me.

Sabre99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sabre99

Digital and physical are not mutually exclusive; CDs are a digital media source...

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
Sabre99 wrote:Digital and physical are not mutually exclusive; CDs are a digital media source...

Then, strictly electronic vs. physical.

silb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silb

I download almost all my games and music now. But on the other hand i wouldn't be caught dead with an eReader. Nothing replaces a real book for me.

chracer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chracer

Digital books

Physical music (and convert to digital). Not sure why, but I love owning the physical record/CD.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I prefer physical. I may only have one or two songs from a CD on my iPhone/iPod, but I sometimes like to play the whole CD.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy

Physical. Especially keyboards, can't type on the virtual on-screen keyboard.

I need that damned spring to tell me that I actually HIT THE KEY.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

danielvega

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danielvega

I voted digital but there are still some things I prefer to have a physical copy of. Some books I want to physically flip through (plus when there's no power they still work), but not all. Movies, I want a physical Blu-ray, DVD, etc.

Oh yes, you have a plethora.

robertwooddellweaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver

I voted physical, but I now get all my games via Steam. I rather miss having the "shelf of boxes" from played games, but it is so darned convenient...

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor

Kind of depends. Digital makes sense for media. I get nervous, though, when they start replacing mechanics on things like cars & houses with "fail-safe" electronics.

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz

I carry a complete library in my phone (Galaxy S3). I read on the subway, while waiting and in elevators, in the bus, at lunch etc... A physical book is way too bulky (and usually at home).

wickedd365

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wickedd365

Both. That's why I wish every movie would come with an Ultraviolet and/or Cinemanow copy so i can watch anywhere at anytime.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

I'm good with digital provided it's portable and I have full control over it, i.e. it will still work after someone eventually manages to DDoS the Internet. I just can't stand "the cloud" and the associated obsession with turning one's PC into a circa 1975 terminal that can't do anything if it's not plugged into some BOFH's server.

jezuzfreek

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jezuzfreek

Physical trumps digital in some regards. Consider music, Once you buy the physical package you get all artwork and included liner notes and you can then convert it to mp3 or whatever nonphysical medium while keeping the original source as a backup.

I buy Cd's and import to my pc, cell phone and never touch the CD again.