Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2940 Private Messages lichme

4.6 Average Rating on Best Buy

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

when will this come down to the price of DC23?

yayobama

quality posts: 12 Private Messages yayobama

ooh, these are versatile. If I didn' already have the handheld and upright, I'd get this because it fits under furniture & feels portable as well as the handheld but has all the power of the upright--a nice hybrid of sorts.

themdg

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themdg

I appreciate our Dyson, and probably won't buy another brand for some time. One draw is that they offer parts for sale which makes fixing them easier when parts wear out. Beware though...most of the time the don't sell parts, but part assemblies. My hose cracked, and they wanted $75 for the hose assembly (I ended up repairing the hose myself.) A small easily-removable clip broke on one of our vacs, and they wanted $130 for the assembly that included that part. Better than a new vac, but still a little foobed. There are inexpensive aftermarket parts available, though I have not tried them.

Wootlists are silly.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3530 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

The home shoppers at hsn.com have deemed this a "customer pick" (4.4 out of 5.0)

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin

The equivalent of this (but not refurbished) is 500 on newegg. This is a great bargain.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
jamesclaflin wrote:The equivalent of this (but not refurbished) is 500 hundred on newegg. This is a great bargain.

Right,"great bargain" if you don't have the time to search for other deals like this one NEW with 5 year Dyson warranty for only $40 more with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYSON-DC39-CANISTER-VACUUM-NEW-in-BOX-FREE-FAST-SHIPPING-/321109299194?pt=US_Vacuum&hash=item4ac39b0ffa

DaWeaves98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaWeaves98
dliidlii wrote:Right,"great bargain" if you don't have the time to search for other refurbished deals like this one for $269 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYSON-DC39-Multifloor-Canister-Vacuum-Cleaner-w-o-Wand-Extension-Tube-Yellow-599-/400465420063?pt=US_Vacuum&hash=item5d3d995f1f

I'd rather buy what I know is a certified Dyson Refub from here that includes a 6 month warranty, rather than from some random seller on ebay that offers a 14 day return.

But, that's just me.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU
dliidlii wrote:Right,"great bargain" if you don't have the time to search for other refurbished deals like this one for $269 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYSON-DC39-Multifloor-Canister-Vacuum-Cleaner-w-o-Wand-Extension-Tube-Yellow-599-/400465420063?pt=US_Vacuum&hash=item5d3d995f1f

You know the drill by now, though, is that they won't lower the price vs. "third party" type retailers like ebay, so the $299.99 is likely to stick (and don't get me wrong, I've bought from ebay before, but nothing this expensive yet).

Anyway,
Product page
http://www.dyson.com/vacuums/canisters/dc39/dc39-multi-floor.aspx

Support you can click the regular or "Exclusive US" model
http://content.dyson.com/support/help.asp?model=SUP-DC39&article=1374
but the manual is the same, so decide whatever you want
https://media.dyson.com/downloads/US/floorcare/manuals/dc39_us_manual_TRH.pdf

Consumer Reports
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/canister-vacuum-cleaner-ratings/models/overview/dyson-dc39-animal-99046212.htm

Gadget review
http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/04/dyson-dc39-multi-floor-vacuum-review-2.html

Video

lwang

whatsamattaU wrote:
Video

these video reviews are terrible. The first one seems to know nothing about vacuums, just doing these things to get free vacuums.

The second one goes all wrong with the description. The ball on these canisters allows for the hose connection to attach at the base and swerve into the direction you are pulling the canister, thus allowing it to be much easier to maneuver. Although I am sure they could have built that contraption without the use of a ball.

At least the gadget review tells you that it can't suck anything larger than a marble.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU
lwang wrote:these video reviews are terrible. The first one seems to know nothing about vacuums, just doing these things to get free vacuums.

The second one goes all wrong with the description. The ball on these canisters allows for the hose connection to attach at the base and swerve into the direction you are pulling the canister, thus allowing it to be much easier to maneuver. Although I am sure they could have built that contraption without the use of a ball.

At least the gadget review tells you that it can't suck anything larger than a marble.

This is one of those debates of whether it's better to have videos or not when they're not the greatest. Most of the DC39 videos I've seen so far are for the animal version.
One could go to the informercial route, like QVC's, or the actual video from HSN:

or showing more basic videos

or more customer reviews from places like
Costco
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100017640/dyson-inc-dyson-dc39-multi-floor-plus-canister-vacuum-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=rating
or collections like Testfreaks
http://www.testfreaks.com/vacuum-cleaners/dyson-dc39-multi-floor/
or Allergy Buyers Club
http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/dyson-dc39-multi-floor-canister-vacuum-cleaners.html
but honestly, I typically expect the video reviews on average (although I've seen good ones before) to be less reliable on facts than the text versions of reviews, but any chance to see the vacuum in action is worth posting I figure, just use judgement when listening to the video person and fall back on the text reviews.

ceotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty

Of course, I literally just bought one of these earlier this week, but I'm happy to say it was comparably priced.

I'm very pleased with it. Definitely worth your investment if you're interested.

dliidlii wrote:Right,"great bargain" if you don't have the time to search for other deals like this one NEW with 5 year Dyson warranty for only $40 more with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYSON-DC39-CANISTER-VACUUM-NEW-in-BOX-FREE-FAST-SHIPPING-/321109299194?pt=US_Vacuum&hash=item4ac39b0ffa

Says $345 now. Edit: Oh, whoops, read that as "$40 less!" Clearly, need more coffee.

— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

korhalx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages korhalx

Is this good for tile floors? i have a 2200 sq tile house with two dogs and i can't find a vacuum worth a crap to get the job done. i end up using my ryobi shop vac for inside the house lol.

krisko

quality posts: 3 Private Messages krisko

I bought this last week at Sams Club for $360 (prefer saving $60 at woot, oh well). It's my second Dyson (first stayed with the Ex) and first canister type vacuum. I love mine so far, the vacuuming goes fast because one or two passes sucks up the dirt. I'm a little clumsy with the canister vs an upright vacuum but I suspect I'll get better. But the canister gives you the smaller head that gets under furniture and is lighter overall to use. I've read criticism that the head is too light and doesn't suck very well. This isn't true, in short carpet the vacuum creates a nice seal without biting down into the carpet and being hard to move around. Best feature is the the DC39 is good for all floors. It's probably the best all around vacuum out there right now.

bryaninphx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bryaninphx
korhalx wrote:Is this good for tile floors? i have a 2200 sq tile house with two dogs and i can't find a vacuum worth a crap to get the job done. i end up using my ryobi shop vac for inside the house lol.

Dyson's canisters are way too small in capacity. I have two dogs that shed a lot, and own a Dyson DC25. You need to empty and clean the canister and filters every time you vacuum. It is a pain. Look on Ebay for a good reconditioned Kirby for about the same price. You cannot beat the suction and capacity of a Kirby. They are the best vacuum bar none. I'll take a HEPA bag to a canister any day.

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

This one sucks, hard.

In a good way.

/endsimplereview

I am not responsible for this post.

flipmeister

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flipmeister

has anyone had any experience with the refurded dysons they've gotten from woot?

[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Personally speaking, I prefer the sweeper featured today on Woot Tools & Garden. It's much less expensive, and easily removes all the cat hair from under my couch (on a good day it removes that cats as well).

rkbergman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkbergman
bryaninphx wrote:Dyson's canisters are way too small in capacity. I have two dogs that shed a lot, and own a Dyson DC25. You need to empty and clean the canister and filters every time you vacuum. It is a pain. Look on Ebay for a good reconditioned Kirby for about the same price. You cannot beat the suction and capacity of a Kirby. They are the best vacuum bar none. I'll take a HEPA bag to a canister any day.

Empty the canister everytime, well duh. But you only have to clear the filter once a month.

rtcheung

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtcheung

you've done it woot, after years and years of seeing dysons here you've finally convinced me to buy one... just not this one, i'll wait for a upright

carlcampbelljr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carlcampbelljr

For $300 I would rather have a new Made in the USA simplicity canister.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

I bought one of these new on Dyson's Cyber Monday sale last year. I paid about $375 plus tax for it as a new model (the Dyson-wide sale was 25% off retail).

So far it's been a great vac. As far as suction goes, it's strong and forms a good seal with my short pile carpet. Judging by the amount of dust and cat hair I empty out of the bin each time, it's getting the dirt that ground in pretty deep. On my hard floors, it just sucks up everything there. It works great.

According to Dyson's published stats, the DC39 has the highest suction (as measured in AirWatts - whatever the heck that is) of any Dyson vac.

As other posters have mentioned, the handle and wand assembly is very light and easy to maneuver. It can easily fit underneath most furniture given a 3"-4" clearance, so you'll be able to vacuum areas that you'd otherwise have to move furniture if you wanted to get with an upright.

The canister maneuvers pretty easily, though you do have to give it a firm tug. I also love that the power cord is mounted on a spring coil and retracts into the motor unit with the press of a button.

The filter feels to my nose like it works very well. Vacuums have to move a lot of air through them, and the air vented out into the room has no noticeable odor or dust to aggravate my allergies.

The two biggest downsides to this model are storing the unit in between uses, and emptying the dustbin.

The telescoping wand has a tab on it that's supposed to fit into a notch on the motor unit. It does, but it takes some work lining everything up, and it feels to me like it's likely to break at some point down the road. Also, with the wand hooked onto the motor unit, the hose doesn't really have any way to sit cleanly. It just kind of sticks out in front of the machine. Thankfully everything connects and disconnects easily, so the most compact way to store the vac is to disconnect the hose from the motor and from the wand, coil it up and store it separately nearby.

As to the bin, most Dysons have a flat bottom bin. When you empty the bin, the bottom drops away and the debris falls out. Well, with the DC39, the bottom of the bin is bowl-shaped, not flat. When the bottom is released, bin debris gets caught in the hinged bowl and doesn't fall into the trash can. You need to get in with your hand (or some tool - a pen will do) to hold the bin open and then angle the whole thing so the debris falls out of the bowl shaped bottom, too. It can be a somewhat unhygenic process, and you'll probably want to wash your hands after emptying the bin, just to be safe.

One other potential minor downside, the handle that you're supposed to carry the motor unit by is plastic that's about 1/8" thick and flexes noticeably when you lift the unit. I don't know if that means it's liable to break somewhere down the road, but it feels like it might.

dlimanov

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dlimanov

Does anyone know if it comes with this rotating brush head that is recommended for hardwood floors?

sdownin

dlimanov wrote:Does anyone know if it comes with this rotating brush head that is recommended for hardwood floors?

It comes with a rotating brush head. The brush is air-turbine operated, and there's a button on the handle. Press the button and the airflow is diverted such that the brush head stops rotating, so all you get is pure suction. Push the button again, and the brush starts back up again.

For a hard floor, you'd want to turn the brush off and just use it in pure suction mode, that way the brush doesn't fling debris around on your hard floors.

But, yes, the regular brush head works GREAT on hard floors when you turn off the brush.

TheGreatGatsby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheGreatGatsby

Does anyone use this type of vacuum for cleaning their stairs? I have 10 steps, a landing, then 6 more. Will the hose reach that far, or must you lug the motor up the steps as you go?

Joshua714

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Joshua714

In for one, thanks Woot! Hope it arrive in nice & clean condition.

I have bought 2 upright Dyson (refurbs) from Woot in the past & both are working great. The second one ordered (DC25) arrived with a annoying squeak in the ball when rolling until I taken it apart and lube it, been working fine ever since.

Ordered but returned a DC26 a few weeks back due to mis-print in the ad, this one's refurb condition is somewhat disturbing, it still had a lot of hair / fiber stuck on the brush head! (kinda make my skin crawl thinking about it...)

Just wondering if these refurbishing are done at Dyson or third party company? Woot Should voice hygienic concern to their supplier.

David

jennage8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jennage8

Does this come with all the attachments you would find if you bought this product new?

wer4uk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wer4uk
flipmeister wrote:has anyone had any experience with the refurded dysons they've gotten from woot?

I bought my Dyson on Woot over 5 years ago. It was a refurb and I have never had a problem with it. In fact I used it today. I am considering buying this one because I really like the low profile of the canister for getting underneath furniture.

kate31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kate31
woottoady wrote:Personally speaking, I prefer the sweeper featured today on Woot Tools & Garden. It's much less expensive, and easily removes all the cat hair from under my couch (on a good day it removes that cats as well).

Thanks. Same issues here, but your post is so funny!

lwang

wer4uk wrote:I bought my Dyson on Woot over 5 years ago. It was a refurb and I have never had a problem with it. In fact I used it today. I am considering buying this one because I really like the low profile of the canister for getting underneath furniture.

Every vacuum I have gotten never worked past 5 years. Either some part breaks or it stops functioning. So I am a bit wary of getting a refurb, as opposed to a new one that I could have a peace of mind that if it goes in the way of my other vacuums, it will be covered. The new ones are not that much more than this. On the other hand, if this went for low $200 range, it might be a different case.

sdownin

TheGreatGatsby wrote:Does anyone use this type of vacuum for cleaning their stairs? I have 10 steps, a landing, then 6 more. Will the hose reach that far, or must you lug the motor up the steps as you go?

You'd have to lug the motor up the stairs. I don't have it with me right now, but I'd guess the hose is in the range of 6-8 feet long, and the handle/wand telescopes from 2.5-4.5" long. So you've got maybe 12.5 feet of reach or so.

You could probably get the first ten steps and the landing, and then you'd need to haul the motor up to the landing to finish off the last six steps.

Still it's easier than lugging a full upright.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jennage8 wrote:Does this come with all the attachments you would find if you bought this product new?

This Dyson comes with everything you see in the picture.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ericlala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericlala
Joshua714 wrote:In for one, thanks Woot! Hope it arrive in nice & clean condition.

I have bought 2 upright Dyson (refurbs) from Woot in the past & both are working great. The second one ordered (DC25) arrived with a annoying squeak in the ball when rolling until I taken it apart and lube it, been working fine ever since.

Ordered but returned a DC26 a few weeks back due to mis-print in the ad, this one's refurb condition is somewhat disturbing, it still had a lot of hair / fiber stuck on the brush head! (kinda make my skin crawl thinking about it...)

Just wondering if these refurbishing are done at Dyson or third party company? Woot Should voice hygienic concern to their supplier.

refurbished doesn't have to mean its been used. It can be discontinued or damaged box. Mine shows no sign of use but came in a regular brown box so I'm guessing it just needed a new box and sat in a warehouse.

rsilver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsilver

Why are there so many Dyson refurbs available? Thiss would suggest poor reliability/high repair frequency.