gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090

Better living through chemistry. Organic is a gimmick most of the time, not truly verified much of the time, inconsequential the rest of the time.

CapnJB

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB

*buys organic sheets*

*immediately washes them in Tide*

gak0090

CapnJB wrote:*buys organic sheets*

*immediately washes them in Tide*

You have to- to kill all the E. Coli that the organic cotton is teeming with. LOL

mikeahlf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeahlf

Well, I'd love to see what the colors are, but woot's Yellow Brick Road website times out all the images. NO SALE.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hi guys! I just went over and felt up the Blue-Green and White sheets.

They are very soft. These are NOT Walmart 300ct stiff sheets. They've got a nice feel to them.

They're not percale but they're not really sateen either - not shiney. They're just sheets.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

mickeythompson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mickeythompson
thecorb wrote:Whew! Only organic pesticides are used on this cotton. It makes me feel safe knowing that my sheets are impregnated with pyrethrum and organophosphates instead of cyfluthrin and dieldrin.

Darn those synthetic pesticides!

just FYI, by definition, organophosphates are not considered organic, and not allowed for products branded and certified organic. yes, organo is in the name, but that just means they started with an organic compound. chemistry versus colloquial use of the term for products.

gak0090

ThunderThighs wrote:Hi guys! I just went over and felt up the Blue-Green and White sheets.

They are very soft. These are NOT Walmart 300ct stiff sheets. They've got a nice feel to them.

They're not percale but they're not really sateen either - not shiney. They're just sheets.

You felt them up...and they weren't stiff?

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick
gak0090 wrote:You felt them up...and they weren't stiff?

I see what you did there.

goldnectar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldnectar

I know I've been Miss Gulchen that all woot sheet sales have been for queens and kings, but no full size...but now that you have full size...I don't like the colors. Booooo!

gak0090

thumperchick wrote:I see what you did there.

You think I'll get a quality post out of it...LOL

thumperchick

gak0090 wrote:You think I'll get a quality post out of it...LOL

moonstonerl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moonstonerl

are these sateen? I hate Sateen!

[MOD: They are not sateen]

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gak0090 wrote:You felt them up...and they weren't stiff?

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

janiscor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages janiscor

Wish they came with four pillowcases, or the option to buy two more, as we use two pillows each.

cupidforgets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cupidforgets

I cant speak for these sheets, but the 300 count organic cotton sheets I buy from Target are amazing and so soft. The thread count doesn't have to be higher. The price is similar to target as well... maybe I should get these...

gak0090

gak0090

ThunderThighs wrote:

Sometimes that's just what I need.

angryrooster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angryrooster
thumperchick wrote:The "Organic" label is a lot shorter than, "We didn't douse our plants in chemicals, or splice their genes, or use artificial nutrient sources; also, we didn't do any of that to our animals..."
What would you prefer? (I really am curious)

I agree with the other poster about using a new word, rather than an existing scientific term, however your statement raises another, similar issue.

The use of the word "chemicals" is entirely too negative in any such discussion. Salt is a chemical. Water is a chemical. When this is pointed out someone will inevitably respond, "Well clearly, we only mean synthetic chemicals, natural chemicals are fine." Arsenic and Lead are a "natural chemicals", but I don't want them sprayed on my food to kill bugs.

What people really mean when they say "no chemicals" is "no chemicals harmful to humans or animals" which of course is ridiculously hard to define, so we just turn off any linguistic processing by making Organic and Chemical into proper nouns meaning "good, healthy" and "bad, unhealthy" when neither term really has any practical value for discussion purposes.

theoriginalviz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theoriginalviz
gak0090 wrote:WHAT!!!

Wait... am I on Woot! or Reddit?!

goldnectar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldnectar
janiscor wrote:Wish they came with four pillowcases, or the option to buy two more, as we use two pillows each.

Word...that would sway me despite the meh colors.

cziller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cziller
tigger2000 wrote:"It's the shipping services that have issues with shipping to APO. Not woot. But hey, rabble rabble?”

Sorry; the United States Postal Service and Fed Ex is available to send exportable items everywhere in the world. Perhaps a different shipping charge would need to be added, but to exclude Alaska, Hawaii, APO and FPO is a simple cop out because apparently no one wants to go to the trouble to calculate shipping charges through anyone but UPS. Lithium batteries tend to explode at high altitudes, that I understand, but I think sheets are pretty stable, even at 10,000 ft.

Not shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and APO is pure laziness. Use the Post Office and charge us for it. We want to be part of Woot too, and we are a good market.

thumperchick

angryrooster wrote:I agree with the other poster about using a new word, rather than an existing scientific term, however your statement raises another, similar issue.

The use of the word "chemicals" is entirely too negative in any such discussion. Salt is a chemical. Water is a chemical. When this is pointed out someone will inevitably respond, "Well clearly, we only mean synthetic chemicals, natural chemicals are fine." Arsenic and Lead are a "natural chemicals", but I don't want them sprayed on my food to kill bugs.

What people really mean when they say "no chemicals" is "no chemicals harmful to humans or animals" which of course is ridiculously hard to define, so we just turn off any linguistic processing by making Organic and Chemical into proper nouns meaning "good, healthy" and "bad, unhealthy" when neither term really has any practical value for discussion purposes.

I can see your point, but what term would you find appropriate? What one or two word phrase would you use to explain the growing methods to consumers?

Pinosaur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pinosaur
conanthelibrarian wrote:Can someone break down thread count for me in simple terms? I'm still using my comfy jersey sheets so I have no clue ;)

I have 1200TC sheets and jersey pillowcases. 300TC will feel like (fine) sandpaper in comparison to what you have now.

[As an exercise, feel a sheet at walmart they are 200TC]

A sheet being 'organic' is a lot like an organic shirt: overpriced ;p

kcherney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kcherney

The problem with higher thread count sheets (600 or so) is that they don't breathe as well as a 300 count set. With summer coming on, these would be perfect. Count me in...

confused15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
Pinosaur wrote:I have 1200TC sheets and jersey pillowcases. 300TC will feel like (fine) sandpaper in comparison to what you have now.

[As an exercise, feel a sheet at walmart they are 200TC]

A sheet being 'organic' is a lot like an organic shirt: overpriced ;p

http://www.ebay.com/gds/truth-about-thread-count-egyptian-cotton-sheets-bed-set/10000000001274215/g.html

I think we go over this about every time a set of sheets shows up on Woot.

Look for things like:

- ply count
- yarn size
- long thread

link to ehow

bonmag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonmag

Seriously- I have found that the thread count doesn't matter. At all. I have felt 1,000TC sheets at Bed Bath & Beyond and they were nothing special. BUT, my 300TC PERCALE sheets from Pottery Barn are the Mac-freaking-daddy of all sheets. Sateen sheets are horrible- they pill something awful. Look for "Percale"!! Those sheets are thicker, softer and last forever. They're like the sheets that Mommy used to have.

GGSharp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GGSharp
irtax wrote:Isn't all cotton organic? What makes this cotton special?

There are places in this world where they have no bedding for children and we are worried about whether our bed set is organic and what the thread count is. First world problems man.

rollick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rollick

"Organic" can mean "agriculture as traditionally practiced by small farmers." I prefer organic because (among other things) I like the idea of those small farmers being able to provide for their families.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
cdahlkvist wrote:300 Thread Count? What is this peasantry?

It would be more comfortable to sleep on sheets made from 12 grit sandpaper.

Does Woot think we are poor people?

You never slept on these 300 TC sheets so you don't know what they feel like for starters.

I purchased what appeared to be high quality Overstock,com sheets that were 1000 and 1600 TC not that long ago and they were AWFUL. Don't be so quick to decide TC is the only spec to look at. I think many have alot to learn about sheets as they keep changing and it's confusing us. Educate yourself and then worry if Woot -thinks- anything. BTW, I bet there are people on here that aren't in as a good financial shape as you. We all come here for a good price hopefully on a high quality item. It doesn't always work out that way and all of our $ are the same shade of green. Enuf said.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

Seward93

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Seward93
irtax wrote:Isn't all cotton organic? What makes this cotton special?

All things fall in two categories, organic (contains carbon) or inorganic (not containing carbon). Cotton, by nature is organic so I share your puzzlement on why they need to mention this! Despite this simple fact learned at my chemical engineer Father's knee I see this term being misused very often by people praying on an innocent public.

Seward93

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Seward93
cdahlkvist wrote:300 Thread Count? What is this peasantry?

It would be more comfortable to sleep on sheets made from 12 grit sandpaper.

Does Woot think we are poor people?

If you read the story of this Woot then you would know that thread count is all relative to who is doing the counting and how many times it is counted. It's like votes in Chicago. It's the people counting who make the difference, not the actual threads.

stanjam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanjam
Seward93 wrote:All things fall in two categories, organic (contains carbon) or inorganic (not containing carbon). Cotton, by nature is organic so I share your puzzlement on why they need to mention this! Despite this simple fact learned at my chemical engineer Father's knee I see this term being misused very often by people praying on an innocent public.

In fact, when used for marketing and advertising purposes, the term "organic" does have definite legal meaning other than the one used by scientists. That is something I learned at my businessman, iron fireman's knee.

My Woots:
LG Bluetooth Headset - iRobot Roomba Discovery
iRobot Scooba - Razerm250 earphones - RCA light headphones - Power Squid - Sandisk e270 6GB MP3 player- Kodak V1003 10MP camera - Photo paper - Sandisk clip 2GB MP3 player, Mighty Mite Kite, Timex Clock radio for Sansa e200 series, Sansa E260, Lubix stereo bluetooth, WootOff lights!, Motorola Xbox 360 Gaming Headset.

elpepe

quality posts: 13 Private Messages elpepe

why are these taking so long to ship?

ashzerodg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashzerodg
elpepe wrote:why are these taking so long to ship?

I was wondering the same thing, got the other thing I ordered 2 days later, but this still has not shipped. I know sometimes things take a few days, but this seems longer than usual.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ashzerodg wrote:I was wondering the same thing, got the other thing I ordered 2 days later, but this still has not shipped. I know sometimes things take a few days, but this seems longer than usual.

Sorry for the delay. It can take up to 5 business days (usually fewer) to process and ship your orders. If the item is drop-shipped, it means we have to wait for the tracking information to come from our vendor so we can pass the details along to you.
Anyhoo. Looks like this is the fourth business day. You can always email Support@Woot.com if you're concerned about the status of your order, but apart from being kinda irritating, it's a little early to worry yet.

Again, apologies for the hassle.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

daMazer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daMazer
PemberDucky wrote:Sorry for the delay. It can take up to 5 business days (usually fewer) to process and ship your orders. If the item is drop-shipped, it means we have to wait for the tracking information to come from our vendor so we can pass the details along to you.
Anyhoo. Looks like this is the fourth business day. You can always email Support@Woot.com if you're concerned about the status of your order, but apart from being kinda irritating, it's a little early to worry yet.

Again, apologies for the hassle.

So this is day 5 and still no indication they have shipped. Anyone have and idea what is going on?

AlanZak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlanZak

Could anyone who's gotten these in king size tell me the "depth" of the corner pockets of the fitted sheet?

I've got a memory foam pad on my bed that adds a couple of inches so that standard sheets don't quite fit; has to be at least around 14" to snugly snag the corners.

Thanks!

nashmofo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nashmofo

Love the sheets and if you want to understand why I was willing to pay 10 bucks more for these read this to understand what the "organic cotton" means in "300TC Organic Cotton Sheet Set - 5 Colors"