WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Home Audio

Getting quality sound in your home requires the right technology, and of course, the right speaker system. But what if your walls and ceilings were just made of speakers? Now that'd be a lot of audio. If you want to try it out for yourself, you better start buying speakers ... and, well look at that, we've got some for sale.

truckena

quality posts: 0 Private Messages truckena

For these soundbars, it looks like the BA package has the best reviews, according to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-TVee-Model-25/dp/B004V1DAC4

Does anyone have any of these soundbars and can give their opinion?

gibson99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gibson99

looking at the wall mount with speakers - it seems there's a large flat plate at the center of the mount. if you have wires coming in from the wall, how will that work?

edit: found this youtube video of installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUeRjN0ZGO8&noredirect=1

not encouraging - they show the installation requiring 4 screws into studs, and also show them installing it just above their wall plates. that's too bad - i have my tv wall mounted with concealed wires and the plates are basically centered behind the tv so there's no chance they'll be visible. doesn't look like they thought about that when making this mount.

jswilson64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jswilson64

Looking at the Sharp 3.1 system, does the subwoofer have to stand up like that? Or can I put it laying flat (maybe on something to prop it up a bit) under my TV stand?

ryaneil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryaneil

I just bought the TVee 26 that replaced this and its amazing! For less than a third of the cost of what I paid I imagine its sounds great. BA is best for those who just want great sound from the box. If you're one to tweak your sound don't get this there's not many adjustments.

wooowoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooowoot

I too am interested in the Sharp 3.1.

The subwoofer has one side with nothing on it, so you'd probably be OK laying it flat on that side. This is an inexpert opinion, mind you, based only on my experience with my own system. (My current sub has feet on it that make it obvious it's meant to have the big speaker pointing at the floor - but I have a neighbor downstairs so I layed it on another side and it sounds fine. I should stipulate that I prefer the bass sounds to be more on the subtle side rather than vibraing the pictures off the walls :0)

I have a question, too. I would be using this only for music (CD input and some streaming). I like the looks of this system and the more compact sub would be very convenient. But I'm not sure about the sound bar idea. If you can't put a few feet between left, center & right speakers - wouldn't it sound more like a TV (simple 20 year old set w/no extra sound system hooked up) or even a portable radio - all the sound coming from one point in the room? Or has (I'm hoping) the technology changed so that one combined unit can "fill" the room as well as 3 separate speakers would?

wooowoot

Why are we all getting these large empty spaces above our messages?

truckena

quality posts: 0 Private Messages truckena
ryaneil wrote:I just bought the TVee 26 that replaced this and its amazing! For less than a third of the cost of what I paid I imagine its sounds great. BA is best for those who just want great sound from the box. If you're one to tweak your sound don't get this there's not many adjustments.

So I gotta ask, what made you upgrade to the newer version of the soundbar if you had the previous year model?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wooowoot wrote:Why are we all getting these large empty spaces above our messages?

Usually when I see that, it's because I have my browser zoomed in. Try CTRL-0 (zero) and see if that fixes it.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Anothermind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anothermind
wooowoot wrote:
I have a question, too. I would be using this only for music (CD input and some streaming). I like the looks of this system and the more compact sub would be very convenient. But I'm not sure about the sound bar idea. If you can't put a few feet between left, center & right speakers - wouldn't it sound more like a TV (simple 20 year old set w/no extra sound system hooked up) or even a portable radio - all the sound coming from one point in the room? Or has (I'm hoping) the technology changed so that one combined unit can "fill" the room as well as 3 separate speakers would?

I don't think there is a soundbar on the market that can perform as well as individual speakers set up around a room. The soundbar has multiple speakers in it. 1 center, 1 left, 1 right. It uses DTS to simulate surround sound, but you know having individual speakers is always better. That being said, it fills my living room well enough (although I am admittedly NOT an audiophile). It definitely sounds better than a tv or radio.

The thing that I really like about this unit is that is that if, for whatever reason, the soundbar dies or you simply don't like the performance, you can connect other speakers to the included receiver with normal speaker wire. It also has all the inputs I could ask for.

The one DOWNSIDE is that out of the box, I couldn't get it to stay on consistently when when it was standing vertically. I had to lay it flat on its side. Not sure if it has something to do with the fan or what, but if I were you guys, I wouldnt' be surprised if I had to end up laying it flat to get it to work properly.

Hope this answers your questions or at least helps.

wooowoot

ThunderThighs wrote:Usually when I see that, it's because I have my browser zoomed in. Try CTRL-0 (zero) and see if that fixes it.

Ah - forgot I'd done that. Thanks much "-)

wooowoot

Anothermind wrote:I don't think there is a soundbar on the market that can perform as well as individual speakers set up around a room. The soundbar has multiple speakers in it. 1 center, 1 left, 1 right. It uses DTS to simulate surround sound, but you know having individual speakers is always better. That being said, it fills my living room well enough (although I am admittedly NOT an audiophile). It definitely sounds better than a tv or radio.

The thing that I really like about this unit is that is that if, for whatever reason, the soundbar dies or you simply don't like the performance, you can connect other speakers to the included receiver with normal speaker wire. It also has all the inputs I could ask for.

The one DOWNSIDE is that out of the box, I couldn't get it to stay on consistently when when it was standing vertically. I had to lay it flat on its side. Not sure if it has something to do with the fan or what, but if I were you guys, I wouldnt' be surprised if I had to end up laying it flat to get it to work properly.

Hope this answers your questions or at least helps.

It does answer the question and gives me an idea, too. Thank you for the input.

wooowoot

On the Sharp 3.1 again, any idea what would happen if I used my existing speakers WITH the Sharp ones, (ie, my old right speaker would share the right clip with the right side of the soundbar)? Would it divide the output so I could arrange things to get a more spacious sound? Or would it simply choose one speaker over the other, or distort the sound?

aaronhenry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronhenry
wooowoot wrote:On the Sharp 3.1 again, any idea what would happen if I used my existing speakers WITH the Sharp ones, (ie, my old right speaker would share the right clip with the right side of the soundbar)? Would it divide the output so I could arrange things to get a more spacious sound? Or would it simply choose one speaker over the other, or distort the sound?

You would essentially cut the peak wattage in half on the channels with extra speakers. If you only did this to the speakers and not the sub, you'd have full wattage with the sub and neuter the mids/trebs. You'd get a distorted or muffled soundstage the louder you went. I thought the same thing at one time!

This said, a 3.1 system is certainly not a great multi-speaker option anyway If you want more speakers, get a 5-7 channel receiver with EQ options to really dial in your room's sound conditions.

birdman06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages birdman06

I got this for may parents for Christmas last year. Sound is great for them compared to the tv speakers. I had problems getting it to program the volume adjustments for their remote. I almost shipped it back but persistence paid off.

truckena wrote:For these soundbars, it looks like the BA package has the best reviews, according to Amazon.

migzav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages migzav
truckena wrote:For these soundbars, it looks like the BA package has the best reviews, according to Amazon.

i bought a tvee25 from woot 8 months ago. it died a couple of weeks ago. turns on then shuts off immediately. i tired different spdif cables, no good... dead. sounded great when working.

chandrahw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chandrahw

Re: Boston Acoustics Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer TVee Model 25
Can anyone tell me what is the AC voltage pls?
I wish it comes with the universal one (100-240V).

redial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redial

HK AVR2650

I own one of these, they are one of the best looking units IMO. However my first one died in under a year. Woot sent me a new one after terrible HK service gave me the run around(thanks woot!)

the 2nd one works but for some reason the center channel doesnt work when its first turned on, but 10 min later is warms up and works fine. Could be a faulty center speaker have not tested

-1 for reliability, +1 for woot service

GaryMoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GaryMoy
migzav wrote:i bought a tvee25 from woot 8 months ago. it died a couple of weeks ago. turns on then shuts off immediately. i tired different spdif cables, no good... dead. sounded great when working.

I also bought this about 6 months ago and have also experienced the on/off problem. I've "re-installed" it (go through all the steps in the manual) and it seems to work fine again. Also, try changing the channels for the wireless to the bass speaker (you have a choice of 1-4). Do this, especially if you have wi-fi in the house. I also experienced popping from the bass, so I tried different channels and found that channel 1 works best for me. I also realized that the "learns your remote control" thing helps you when you think your speaker has died again. Try pointing your remote at the sound bar and work the volume up/down button and test the mute button. Hope this helps you.

wooowoot

...get a 5-7 channel receiver with EQ options to really dial in your room's sound conditions.

OK - guess this isn't the way to go. Thanks much guys.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chandrahw wrote:Re: Boston Acoustics Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer TVee Model 25
Can anyone tell me what is the AC voltage pls?
I wish it comes with the universal one (100-240V).

Sorry but it is NOT multivoltage. It is 120V only.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jeffiekins

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jeffiekins

People, please identify which product you're talking about! There's one discussion thread for the entire "home audio" category.

Now, regarding the Sennheiser Personal Listening System, does anyone know if it's really IR or RF? The description and photo say IR, but the specs say RF (FM, specifically). Serious disconnect here.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

cosmicpea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cosmicpea
jeffiekins wrote:People, please identify which product you're talking about! There's one discussion thread for the entire "home audio" category.

Now, regarding the Sennheiser Personal Listening System, does anyone know if it's really IR or RF? The description and photo say IR, but the specs say RF (FM, specifically). Serious disconnect here.

Ammy description says IR. Got 4.5 stars but only 9 reviews and price is close to $70 from 3rd party seller.

dpmdrft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dpmdrft

HK AVR 2650 & HK AVR 3650

"Logic 7 processing turns conventional stereo sources into incredible 7.1-channel surround-sound"

this is what interests me most out of all the receivers.

My question is:

do any other manufacturers (Denon, Panasnic, ect) have a feature similar to the Logic7?

aaronhenry

dpmdrft wrote:HK AVR 2650 & HK AVR 3650

"do any other manufacturers (Denon, Panasnic, ect) have a feature similar to the Logic7?

Logic 7 is just a nomenclature for HK; Onkyo calls this functionality DPL2 I believe. It is marketing magic, IMHO. TL;DR on how it works below:

These are just algorithms run by the receiver based on the data coming in from the stereo source.

It takes the additional data from the audio and, if there is any dimensional sound like pan left to right or front to back, it will correctly output that audio to the appropriate channel(s). It separates the bass simply by pitch (lows will be sent to the sub channel, for instance) and acts as a crossover in this respect.

It's used in car audio to create a good "surround" soundstage from a stereo source. On it's worst days, it will just copypasta the sound from left to both Left-front and Left-rear and the same with the right to right-front and right-rear.

aaronhenry

do any other manufacturers (Denon, Panasnic, ect) have a feature similar to the Logic7?

Abridged Summary:
It is not a unique feature for audio equipment home or mobile-- just a unique name from HK.

Without this feature, the sound may only play from front-left and front-right speakers on 2-channel(stereo) sources.

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

"Logic 7 processing turns conventional stereo sources into incredible 7.1-channel surround-sound"

this is what interests me most out of all the receivers.

My question is:

Onkyo uses Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Neo 6 to do the same thing. There are a lot of options with each. Too many options. It's hard enough to decide which one to use; then I have to decide what setting to use.

crogs571

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crogs571

Contemplating the tv mount 2.1 speakers. In my bedroom I just have the power and hdmi cable running straight down and behind the dresser. Wouldn't work in the living room where I have the open panel for wires and access behind the tv. The price does seem hard to beat.

Geesht

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Geesht

I purchased the Onkyo HT-S6500 5.1 Home Theater from the last time it was on, about 3 weeks ago.

Took me a long time to decide to purchase them, after seeing several Onkyo systems come and go on woot.com.

I am absolutely pleased with my purchase, especially for $430 NEW. Fry's Electronics has them new for $575 and Amazon for a little over $500 (plus, woot only charges $5 for shipping!).

It's a heavy box, 65 lbs, so plan ahead if you're expecting delivery or miss it and need to pick up from post office like I had to do.

Out of the box, setup is pretty straight forward. Not being much of an audio person myself, I relied on the directions (out of the box weren't great, so I used the one from the site Onkyo This offered more detail.

Plan ahead for layout as well. I ended up ordering 100 ft 12 gauge cables and some stands, along with zip ties and cable clips.

It took me a while to get everything sorted, firmware updated but with everything in place and about a week of good use, here are my thoughts:

PROS: Great sound, built well, great app options (Pandora, Spotify, unlisted option to stream directly from your iOS device (music), using their Onkyo 2 app (I use this almost 100% of the time instead of the actual remote)). Great options to customize (banana plug compatible). Lots of HDMI in. I have yet to take the sound over 60 (think it goes to 80) as this fills my apt VERY loudly.

CONS: The on-screen GUI for the Apps is all text. Pandora is just a few lines of text, I absolutely recommend using the App to control anything. Not very intuitive directions for novice audio users. The subwoofer is HUGE.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase of these and highly recommend them for anyone looking to jump into home audio or looking to upgrade older speakers.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: typos

dpmdrft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dpmdrft
aaronhenry wrote:Logic 7 is just a nomenclature for HK; Onkyo calls this functionality DPL2 I believe. It is marketing magic, IMHO. TL;DR on how it works below:

These are just algorithms run by the receiver based on the data coming in from the stereo source.

It takes the additional data from the audio and, if there is any dimensional sound like pan left to right or front to back, it will correctly output that audio to the appropriate channel(s). It separates the bass simply by pitch (lows will be sent to the sub channel, for instance) and acts as a crossover in this respect.

It's used in car audio to create a good "surround" soundstage from a stereo source. On it's worst days, it will just copypasta the sound from left to both Left-front and Left-rear and the same with the right to right-front and right-rear.

Thank you, i now understand, and can wait for the next home audio woot event!