WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Rotary Watches for Men and Women

You can tell a lot about a person by the watch they wear. You might be able to tell that somebody likes the color blue, that they are big fans of the Swiss, that they enjoy precious metals, or that they either recently traveled from somewhere in Mountain Time or haven't changed the time since Daylight Savings. 
Rotary Watches official site

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Anyone know anything about these watches? Some look nice, but not sure on the prices. A quick search turned up prices varying. Found one similar (rose gold and off by 1 number so not exact) for a few dollars cheaper. Not sure of the reputation of the site either.

http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail.asp?iq=1&bo_products_id=0&bo_products_variance_id=146958&promotion_code=WTV1392041813231525031146958

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
scubalab wrote:Anyone know anything about these watches? Some look nice, but not sure on the prices. A quick search turned up prices varying. Found one similar (rose gold and off by 1 number so not exact) for a few dollars cheaper. Not sure of the reputation of the site either.

http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail.asp?iq=1&bo_products_id=0&bo_products_variance_id=146958&promotion_code=WTV1392041813231525031146958

That website is a legitimate place to buy a watch like this. Do not be fooled by the impressive looking price reductions. These are definitely a step up from an Invicta/Sturling/cheap Chinese automatic watch, but there's no way you would ever pay full price for these things. The company was established in Switzerland in 1895, but is perhaps best known in the UK where it's quite a well-regarded brand (at least it was when I was growing up).

$100 is about right for most of these watches. The pricier ones are definitely a little expensive for what is essentially a gimmicky quartz watch with a standard glass ("mineral") crystal, although each face can be set independently which makes it great for frequent travelers.

Do note that even though many of these watches claim to be waterproof, you should not swim with any watch that has a leather strap and/or is not rated to at least 50M depth - I would classify 30M watches as water/rain/shower proof, but not ready for swimming.

I'm thinking of buying one, although it's not a super deal; just a reasonably priced good-looking acceptable quality watch.

barney490

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barney490
scubalab wrote:Anyone know anything about these watches? Some look nice, but not sure on the prices. A quick search turned up prices varying. Found one similar (rose gold and off by 1 number so not exact) for a few dollars cheaper. Not sure of the reputation of the site either.

I bought one like like the auto black 604c $95 here I paid $100 but in rose gold. as far as suggested retail, all of the watches I see at websites have grossly inflated msrps. The one I have has a very solid case but a see through back. its a nice looking watch, date window is unusably small, keeps time reasonably well. Its a decent price not a steal but these are rotary editions not regular rotary so these are kind of like an authorized knockoff.
They are nice looking and solid(heavy), compared to an invicta. Between the two I would by one of these over an invicta.
These are a typical price.

FeeJswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FeeJswoot

I've had a Rotary automatic for a few years now, and it is a great and accurate movement. The only issue I ever had was a tiny screw in the clasp breaking. I would recommend this brand for their internals definitely. And this is about the right price point for this brand. All of the watch brands like this seem to have this marketing gimmick of having the MSRP so high, then selling online at a largely discounted rate.

Now do I have the cash for another one...?

voxitage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voxitage

Sorry woot, but for $100, I expect my roman numeral 4 to be "IV" instead of the "IIII" seen on these super classy watches.

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
voxitage wrote:Sorry woot, but for $100, I expect my roman numeral 4 to be "IV" instead of the "IIII" seen on these super classy watches.

That's a common style on many watches, done to counter-balance the "VIII" on the other side. If it's a deal-breaker for you, you're missing out on a lot of nice watches.

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

I used to wear a rotary for a couple of years. After a while though the rubber nub inside the dial fell out and the frame around the date box became undone and is now resting over the 9.

that was fun while it lasted!

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman

comments withdrawn

anim8ormatt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages anim8ormatt
voxitage wrote:Sorry woot, but for $100, I expect my roman numeral 4 to be "IV" instead of the "IIII" seen on these super classy watches.

munchkin

skou

quality posts: 21 Private Messages skou

"Made in China

In the box:

(1) Rotary 712C Men's See-Thru Dial / Brown Leather Watch."

Copied from specs.

steve

frompkin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frompkin

I don't know about these being of better quality than the Sturlings. In fact, if you look closely at them they appear to use exactly the same movements and cases as the Sturlings.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

The Web dealer you mention is a legitimate dealer. However, just like many dealers, including Woot, while offering some very fine items, junk gets thrown in also. I guess the thought is, "if there is a market then we should sell it". Well, there is and they do.

I respectfully disagree with one reply that states these watches are one step above Incicta. If they are it is only by a micro inch and really they are at the same level as Invicta. Just like Invicta (as well as many others) the MSRP is extremely inflated and that is only a marketing ploy. This would not be the fault of Woot as Woot can only print what the manufacturer states. Other well known name brands (Seiko as just one of very many) that would come to your mind readily, has MSRP's of around 100+% and even more but these lower groups of watches state a MSRP that is inflated in the hundreds and hundreds percent.

These brands are notorious for very poor quality control and virtually no customer service. So, in the end you will really get what you pay for. You may get a watch that functions today and works for a few years to come or, you may get a watch that even if it does function today, you may have a problem in a few days, weeks, or months. In that case you will be pretty much stuck and worse, embarrassed if you gave the watch as a gift. It is a "crap shoot" at the very best.

ylenroc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ylenroc

I've had a Rotary watch for a couple years now and I love it. The model that I own is simlar to EGS0021-TZ2-19-21, although the black face is slightly different. I get a lot of positive comments on it, and the double face is more than just a gimmick - I choose a face depending on how casual or formal I am dressed that day. It keeps excellent time and I love it. It was a gift from my girlfriend, and I eventually bought her the woman's version. I paid a little more than is here, so I think this is a great deal.

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher

For us big wrist guys - watch out - only a 8" length in the stats.....

Parodius

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Parodius
charliecarroll wrote:The Web dealer you mention is a legitimate dealer. However, just like many dealers, including Woot, while offering some very fine items, junk gets thrown in also. I guess the thought is, "if there is a market then we should sell it". Well, there is and they do.

I respectfully disagree with one reply that states these watches are one step above Incicta. If they are it is only by a micro inch and really they are at the same level as Invicta. Just like Invicta (as well as many others) the MSRP is extremely inflated and that is only a marketing ploy. This would not be the fault of Woot as Woot can only print what the manufacturer states. Other well known name brands (Seiko as just one of very many) that would come to your mind readily, has MSRP's of around 100+% and even more but these lower groups of watches state a MSRP that is inflated in the hundreds and hundreds percent.

These brands are notorious for very poor quality control and virtually no customer service. So, in the end you will really get what you pay for. You may get a watch that functions today and works for a few years to come or, you may get a watch that even if it does function today, you may have a problem in a few days, weeks, or months. In that case you will be pretty much stuck and worse, embarrassed if you gave the watch as a gift. It is a "crap shoot" at the very best.

Much like alot of the watches sold on JVC, it's basically just a Chinese movement watch that has a European history as a back story. I have seen these at TJ Max before they can be pretty bulky. If you're not familiar with watches, alot of these newer trendy watches have big faces (42mm+) so if you have a smaller/average wrist size the watch will look clownishly oversized.

Rotary offers a range of timepieces manufactured in Switzerland together with a range of less expensive pieces made elsewhere, usually with movements from Japan or China which are then assembled in Japan or China before being reimported to Switzerland and Marked as Swiss.

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

I'm just thrilled that there are finally women's watches on offer that aren't basically useless little bangles with a battery in. Yay!

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

msmithson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msmithson

I am no watch expert, but one thing I've learned over the years is to stick with sapphire crystal, never mineral crystal; sapphire seems clearer and less prone to scratches. Hence I'd pass on these. Lively discussions abound: http://tinyurl.com/c36evve

barashin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barashin

Edit: Turns out I was just missing something with the butterfly clasp. The pin can be pivoted to adjust the strap. Great looking watch so far!

Perhaps I'm missing something, but the Rotary GLE00009-10 Men's Part See Thru Black/Bronze Watch I just received seems defective. The black leather band that comes attached seems to thick to thread through the butterfly clasp, also attached. Anyone else have this problem?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

barashin wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but the Rotary GLE00009-10 Men's Part See Thru Black/Bronze Watch I just received seems defective. The black leather band that comes attached seems to thick to thread through the butterfly clasp, also attached. Anyone else have this problem?

If you're concerned or have questions about your purchase, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to help.