morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea

For everyone. If you plan to root. Do NVFlash first and root before updating. The tablet will start to download the 1st update as soon as you connect to WiFi. Do not install it if you want the NVFlash (makes it unbrickable). There are decent instructions at XDA and a good video on YouTube.

This is updating automatically through the Asus OTA to 4.2.1 which is a recent Jelly Bean build.

mcogan1966

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mcogan1966

Does Woot! have a matter transporter? Or maybe they've hired The Doctor to do deliveries...at least when he's not off saving the Universe. Somehow, my box arrived BEFORE the notification of shipping. I'm not unhappy about this at all. But I'm somewhat confused that, if it only just recently had been shipped, how did it arrive already? In short, another fine job by Woot! in exceeding customer expectation.

tz3026

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tz3026

Mine arrived the day that I got the "shipped" notification. Pleasant surprise! Loving it so far.

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

Well..mine STILL says awaiting shipping....but it arrived!!

Put it on charge immediately, but elation quickly changed to disappointment when it wouldn't power on.....does it need to charge for awhile, or should it come on as soon as the power is connected?

(EDIT: I am just too impatient for my own good. I let it charge for about 20 mins, then it started up fine)

wrgben

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wrgben
morriea wrote:For everyone. If you plan to root. Do NVFlash first and root before updating. The tablet will start to download the 1st update as soon as you connect to WiFi. Do not install it if you want the NVFlash (makes it unbrickable). There are decent instructions at XDA and a good video on YouTube.

This is updating automatically through the Asus OTA to 4.2.1 which is a recent Jelly Bean build.

So is it "safe" to do the download and then just not install? I've been doing some reading up on the NVFlash thing and I like to consider myself tech-savvy, but it's doing my head in with the complexity...

morriea

wrgben wrote:So is it "safe" to do the download and then just not install? I've been doing some reading up on the NVFlash thing and I like to consider myself tech-savvy, but it's doing my head in with the complexity...

Not much of a choice on the download if you connect to the internet. Just do not install it.

Here is an All-In-One Guide from XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1833212

There is a clean factory restore if you do install.

morriea

morriea wrote:Not much of a choice on the download if you connect to the internet. Just do not install it.

I did not do any of it because I wanted to see the clean ASUS build on the device. I saw that the factory restore was available, so I put it off till another day. So far, I am impressed with the ASUS ROM.

surveyah

morriea wrote:Not much of a choice on the download if you connect to the internet. Just do not install it.

Is that how you get JellyBean on it? I saw update files on the Asus site but wasn't sure which one to download. I am assuming JP=Japan and CN=Canada? Do I just get the latest US version?

morriea

surveyah wrote:Is that how you get JellyBean on it? I saw update files on the Asus site but wasn't sure which one to download. I am assuming JP=Japan and CN=Canada? Do I just get the latest US version?

To get stock Jelly Bean, go to SETTINGS/ABOUT TABLET/SYSTEM UPDATE in your device. It will read UP TO DATE, but click anyway. In a few minutes it will download. REPEAT PROCESS till 4.2.1 is listed under SETTINGS/ABOUT TABLET/ANDROID VERSION

If you rooted/unlocked boot loader and want a custom ROM, use this index as a place to start in choosing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1834521

wrgben

morriea wrote:I did not do any of it because I wanted to see the clean ASUS build on the device. I saw that the factory restore was available, so I put it off till another day. So far, I am impressed with the ASUS ROM.

I've heard the ASUS ROM is pretty good in terms of lack of bloat. I would like to be able to root so I can install TitaniumBackup. It's perfect for preserving your Plants vs. Zombies score between different devices ;-).

Presume that rooting is possible after the update? I'll sniff around on XDA to be sure.

jchkao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao

Item arrived today even though officially it is still listed as awaiting shipping. However, it was not well packed like it normally is when it is shipped by Woot. It was just the retail box inside a brown box with no protection whatsoever. Same as the Samsung Note that I purchased from Woot a little earlier. Received with no protection whatsoever. Hope all is well.

surveyah

Not sure whats going on with Woots' delivery notification but I've had mine for 2 days now, and my account still says awaiting shipping

Mine also arrived in a plain brown box with no padding or packing material in it bu it seems to be ok

gmertl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmertl

Hello everyone, I am not tech person this will be my first tablet. What are the basic steps I should take when I get this thing. In reading the comments from you peeps out there the following mentioned are peeking my interest which I have copied and pasted from your comments. I have no idea what it all means:

"NVFlash thing"

"For everyone. If you plan to root. Do NVFlash first and root before updating."

"Do not install it if you want the NVFlash (makes it unbrickable)."

What is rooting? what is NVFlash?

What does unbrickable mean?

Help!

wrgben

gmertl wrote:Hello everyone, I am not tech person this will be my first tablet. What are the basic steps I should take when I get this thing. In reading the comments from you peeps out there the following mentioned are peeking my interest which I have copied and pasted from your comments. I have no idea what it all means:

If you don't know what it means, then don't worry about it. It's only for those among us that are serial tinkerers.

Plug your new tablet in, switch on, and enjoy it!

gmertl

wrgben wrote:If you don't know what it means, then don't worry about it. It's only for those among us that are serial tinkerers.

Plug your new tablet in, switch on, and enjoy it!

OK - but how about just a snap shot of what you serial tinkerers are saying?

morriea

gmertl wrote:OK - but how about just a snap shot of what you serial tinkerers are saying?

NVFlash is to access the tablet at a level below the OS. Root gives you access to parts of the OS that would normally be off limits. Unbickable means you cannot kill the device by putting a bad OS code in it (turn the tablet into a "brick", not working anymore). Please go back to the link that I posted and much of this explained. I agree that these are not things that the uninitiated ought to try on this expensive device. I bought a $50 tablet long ago to learn about such things.

gmertl

morriea wrote:NVFlash is to access the tablet at a level below the OS. Root gives you access to parts of the OS that would normally be off limits. Unbickable means you cannot kill the device by putting a bad OS code in it (turn the tablet into a "brick", not working anymore). Please go back to the link that I posted and much of this explained. I agree that these are not things that the uninitiated ought to try on this expensive device. I bought a $50 tablet long ago to learn about such things.

OK! Thank you everyone.

tkenneyjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tkenneyjr
surveyah wrote:Not sure whats going on with Woots' delivery notification but I've had mine for 2 days now, and my account still says awaiting shipping

Mine also arrived in a plain brown box with no padding or packing material in it bu it seems to be ok

Mine says that also, but I still haven't received it. A bit annoying since I need to coordinate pickup while I'm traveling this week. Tracking number please! What is this - 1998???

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

tkenneyjr wrote:Mine says that also, but I still haven't received it. A bit annoying since I need to coordinate pickup while I'm traveling this week. Tracking number please! What is this - 1998???

Sorry about that. If you haven't already, email Support@Woot.com and we'll see about getting you some details. (Be sure to include your order number and all that good stuff.)

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

luthergaylord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luthergaylord
PemberDucky wrote:Sorry about that. If you haven't already, email Support@Woot.com and we'll see about getting you some details. (Be sure to include your order number and all that good stuff.)

oneleggedchewbacca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oneleggedchewbacca

Just now my tracking status was updated.
UPS, to be delivered by Monday, 4/29 EOD.
For context, I'm in the Houston, TX area.

While I laugh at the people who act like these should have been delivered 5 seconds after they clicked "I want one"... in the end, this does seem like a long time.

Even if I knew it would take this long.... I'd still pull the trigger on this item - it was too good of a deal, on something I've been watching for a while, to pass up.

surveyah

so today...i went into settings to do an OTA upgrade to Jellybean....which it started. It downloaded fine...began to install fine....then it said the file integrity check failed...and it restored it to ICS.

Now when i go back to check for updates in Settings, it tells me there are no upgrades at this time. I would really like to get Jellybean on this....anyone have any ideas how?

surveyah

ohhh.....and by the way....thanks to all you wooters who bought out the champagne keyboard on Amazon

I had in in my wish list but wasn't going to pull the trigger til i saw it had shipped (or received it). As soon as i got it i went back to order it, and they were ALL GONE...lol

I opted for the gray one.....for a little bit more....

sameerkulkarni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sameerkulkarni

Proud owner! :-)

Email from Woot saying that your order has shipped: Thursday, 04/25/2013 at 12:530 PM

UPS Delivered On: Thursday, 04/25/2013 at 12:37 PM

Life is good :-)

johnnytraveler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnytraveler

Was looking for a screen guard for this tab. I found XtremeGuard makes them. Link: http://www.xtremeguard.com/mobile/default.aspx#P883
I use Extreme Guard on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and have been incredibly happy. Tough guard, much better than the ones you find in your local stores. For the tab it's $15 for either the screen or the back. I found a coupon code, "coaster" which will take 76% off. Total around 8 bucks for both sides, which is what I'm getting. Caution: When you first put the guard on, it will be a bit tacky. That will go away after some moderate use.

hoosiersparky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoosiersparky

Suggestions for the best place to buy the keyboard for this???

tkenneyjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tkenneyjr
PemberDucky wrote:Sorry about that. If you haven't already, email Support@Woot.com and we'll see about getting you some details. (Be sure to include your order number and all that good stuff.)

Looks like the tracker is updated on my account page -- Monday delivery -- so thanks for that.

Regarding the keyboard question: I purchased a refurbished one from Newegg that arrived yesterday. Looks brand new except for one of the hex socket screws not being quite flush.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834988296

morriea

surveyah wrote:so today...i went into settings to do an OTA upgrade to Jellybean....which it started. It downloaded fine...began to install fine....then it said the file integrity check failed...and it restored it to ICS.

Now when i go back to check for updates in Settings, it tells me there are no upgrades at this time. I would really like to get Jellybean on this....anyone have any ideas how?

1st thing to try is shut it down, do the procedure again. Remember, it may say up to date (or no upgrades at this time), but hit it anyway. Be ready for a delay even if you get that message. It could be for several minutes.

surveyah

morriea wrote:1st thing to try is shut it down, do the procedure again. Remember, it may say up to date (or no upgrades at this time), but hit it anyway. Be ready for a delay even if you get that message. It could be for several minutes.

I have done that many times today....and it keeps telling me that there is no update available...

morriea

surveyah wrote:I have done that many times today....and it keeps telling me that there is no update available...

Here is the firmware:
http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T/#support_Download

here is a website with directions:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/388146/20120926/official-update-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-install.htm

OR
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Service Care.

The update should automatically download. If it does not auto down load after a week you can manually install.

From your TF700T you can also try going to Apps/Settings/About Tablet/Check Update, make sure to turn on WiFi and the device can access the internet.

For manual download:

From your PC you will need a micro SD card

1. Go to http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T/#support_Download on your PC.
2. Select Android OS
3. Download Version for your SKU
4. Unzip and save to desired location.
5. see the file name ??????????????
(I put the ?marks because I do not know the file name, but you will if you do this)
6. Copy folder to SD card
7. Remove SD card from PC and insert to into Transformer TF700T
8. Bottom of screen in notification area next to clock you will see and update available"

I have NOT done it. I merely Googled your problem for you.

pbcooprider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbcooprider
johnnytraveler wrote:Was looking for a screen guard for this tab. I found XtremeGuard makes them. Link: http://www.xtremeguard.com/mobile/default.aspx#P883
I use Extreme Guard on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and have been incredibly happy. Tough guard, much better than the ones you find in your local stores. For the tab it's $15 for either the screen or the back. I found a coupon code, "coaster" which will take 76% off. Total around 8 bucks for both sides, which is what I'm getting. Caution: When you first put the guard on, it will be a bit tacky. That will go away after some moderate use.

Thanks for this. I just ordered and used the "coaster" coupon code and got 85% off!

pbcooprider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbcooprider
surveyah wrote:ohhh.....and by the way....thanks to all you wooters who bought out the champagne keyboard on Amazon

I had in in my wish list but wasn't going to pull the trigger til i saw it had shipped (or received it). As soon as i got it i went back to order it, and they were ALL GONE...lol

I opted for the gray one.....for a little bit more....

I ordered 2 TF700 Dock Champagne from this site....

http://www.aaotots.com/TF700-Dock-Champagne-p/tf700tdockcg.htm

$105.77 and free shipping. Couldn't find a whole lot about this vendor but they do have an ebay store. So far it shows shipped. We'll see. They still show them in stock.

Oh....my 2 finally show shipped today with a delivery day of 4/29 to Idaho.

gmertl

surveyah wrote:I have done that many times today....and it keeps telling me that there is no update available...

Let us know when it works

johnnytraveler

Let us know if the keyboards ship, are new and working. Great price!

pbcooprider wrote:I ordered 2 TF700 Dock Champagne from this site....

http://www.aaotots.com/TF700-Dock-Champagne-p/tf700tdockcg.htm

$105.77 and free shipping. Couldn't find a whole lot about this vendor but they do have an ebay store. So far it shows shipped. We'll see. They still show them in stock.

Oh....my 2 finally show shipped today with a delivery day of 4/29 to Idaho.

johnnytraveler

This link is for the 201 keyboard. Is that what you ordered? Does it work with the 700?

tkenneyjr wrote:Looks like the tracker is updated on my account page -- Monday delivery -- so thanks for that.

Regarding the keyboard question: I purchased a refurbished one from Newegg that arrived yesterday. Looks brand new except for one of the hex socket screws not being quite flush.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834988296

pji115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pji115

Does anyone know if Woot shipped this or if it was a private merchant? UPS seems to be sending my tablet on a cross country trip. One minute it was on a UPS truck coming to my house in RI, then the next day it's in CA!! Was hoping to get another one shipped out

ditmar1002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ditmar1002

Well this isn't really what I wanted to see:

Tracking Detail
Your package has experienced an exception.

04/26/2013 4:00 A.M. Breakdown on property/mechanical failure.

Tracking results provided by UPS: 04/26/2013 3:27 P.M. Eastern Time

spinkieboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spinkieboy
ditmar1002 wrote:Well this isn't really what I wanted to see:

Tracking Detail
Your package has experienced an exception.

04/26/2013 4:00 A.M. Breakdown on property/mechanical failure.

Tracking results provided by UPS: 04/26/2013 3:27 P.M. Eastern Time

Ontario, CA, United States 04/26/2013 4:00 A.M. Breakdown on property/mechanical failure.

What am I suppose to do now? This is the first time it has happened to me. Please help!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

spinkieboy wrote:Ontario, CA, United States 04/26/2013 4:00 A.M. Breakdown on property/mechanical failure.

What am I suppose to do now? This is the first time it has happened to me. Please help!

I've forwarded this issue along to Woot Member Services. I'll let you know any further information I can find.

Sorry for this inconvenience and we appreciate you patience during this matter.

spinkieboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spinkieboy
ROGETRAY wrote:I've forwarded this issue along to Woot Member Services. I'll let you know any further information I can find.

Sorry for this inconvenience and we appreciate you patience during this matter.

Ok, thank you very much.