+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

There's more stuff for sale on Woot than ever before, so much more that it's silly that you have to click through three screens to buy one thing, and then turn around and click through those same three screens again to buy something else. That's why we're breaking NEW GROUND (and doing what every online store already does)! We're adding a Shopping Cart!

If you're a pro at online shopping, this whole thing will be pretty intuitive, so you might want to skip down to the Quirks section. For those of you that have never used a shopping cart system (all 6 of you), we've got you covered! Check it!

The Basics

Add to Cart
Here's how it works: on the main page of any Woot site, you'll click "I Want One" like you always you have, but once you get to the product page, instead of clicking "Buy Now," you'll see a button for "Add to Cart." The same goes for individual items in a Woot Plus sale.

Mini Cart!
Hover over this and it'll bring up your Mini Cart, showing the stuff that's currently in your cart and giving you the option to check out. If you're all done shopping or you're worried about missing out on something (more on this down the page!), go ahead. If not, simply navigate away and keep browsing. Just be careful the items in your cart don't sell out or go away while you're not paying attention (again, more on this down the page)!

Change Quantity
To take something out of your cart or adjust the quantity on an item, it's easy: click the shopping cart icon in the corner of your screen to go to the main Shopping Cart page. From here you can click "remove" under an item to get rid of it, or select a different amount on the quantity menu off to the side.

Quirks

This is all well and good, but Woot isn't like every other online store. Likewise, our shopping cart isn't like every other store's shopping cart. Here are some things to keep in mind:

1. Stuff in your cart isn't really yours until you check out. The deal can still sell out or expire (and move to the sad "Stuff You Missed" section of your cart). So if you want to keep the ravenous Woot mob from yanking that item out from underneath you, don't wait too long to finish your order. And if the I WANT ONE button is pulsing, run like hell for the checkout!

2. Real talk: we only ever had that $5 All You Can Ship in a Day promotion going because we didn't have a shopping cart. So now that we have a shopping cart, we're getting rid of it. Standard shipping is now $5 per order — just get all your stuff in one order, and it's basically the same thing.

3. How does this affect Woot-Offs? Well, you'll have to stay on your toes. Stuff is going to sell out and sell out quickly, so you'll want to check out as soon as you can. Yes, that means you'll pay for shipping more than once if you end up buying more than one item, but the truth is we sell stuff at such stupid low prices in the Woot-Off that you're still getting a good deal.

4. We kept the cart pretty simple. That means there's some stuff you can't do: you can't ship to multiple addresses in a single order, you can't use multiple coupon codes on a single purchase, and you can't pay for your stuff with multiple credit cards. However, you can tell us you love us as many times as you want (but starting at even once would SURE BE NICE! *cries*)

At any rate, we think this is a big step forward, and, if our calculations are correct, it should save the average Wooter 37 years over the course of his or her lifetime that he or she would otherwise spend clicking through purchase screens for each individual item you buy*!

Hugs and kisses,
Woot

*Calculations based on the assumption that the average Woot user purchases 392 items each day.

exp1os1ve

quality posts: 2 Private Messages exp1os1ve

all i can say is

FINALLLYLYLYLYLYLYLY

B.O. Sea #15: 08/22/13

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 502 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Welcome back! Holler if you have questions. We're really excited about this new development!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Mostly a wine Wooter. Liked that I could get multiple deals for $5 shipping during woot-offs but will not be able to with the cart thing so this is disappointing. First the added sales tax, now $5 shipping per order, what's next??

mrericreed

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrericreed
ThunderThighs wrote:Welcome back! Holler if you have questions. We're really excited about this new development!

Oh, woot, no How is this a good thing for us?

I get excited about woot-offs because the savings (or even potential savings) on shipping is often the difference between going for an impulse buy or not. I'll still check the daily woot, but this change probably means the end of my compulsive woot-off checking. Well, my boss will be happy.

natedogg828

quality posts: 4 Private Messages natedogg828

As one who was not asking for a cart, I will really miss the $5 all day shipping this could reduce my impulse buys, especially during woot offs

122 Woots to date across all sites (now Woot! says I am better than everyone else) including 7 Bags of Crap...snagged a Bunch of Centers (#6) to secure my black square!
Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

jmalone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmalone
mrericreed wrote:Oh, woot, no How is this a good thing for us?

I get excited about wootoffs because the savings (or even potential savings) on shipping is often the difference between going for an impulse buy or not. I'll still check the daily woot, but this change probably means the end of my compulsive woot-off checking. Well, my boss will be happy.

Agreed, most of my buys here woot-off or not are impulse buys, and this will almost certainly cost me more or result in me buying less. I often jump on something I see early in the morning that I think will likely sell out, then return later in the day when i have time to check out Woot! Plus sales only because I have unlocked free shipping.

While Woot! considers their Woot!-Off prices 'crazy-low' enough to still be a deal, which I feel is debatable, I can't even count the number of times I have seen loyal Wooters use the "Sure Woot! is only $2 cheaper than someone else on the internet, but I already unlocked free shipping" to justify a purchase at more post-mothership takover (less classic Woot! crazy low) high prices.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1062 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Let me try one scenario. I buy stuff off of any of the woot plus sites or moofi that hasn't hit the deadline at midnight central, and the multiple items are in the cart. Midnight hits, I see one more new item I want to buy. I throw that in the cart, and I then submit the whole cart/order, and the shipping is $5, right???

ThunderThighs

Staff

whatsamattaU wrote:Let me try one scenario. I buy stuff off of any of the woot plus sites or moofi that hasn't hit the deadline at midnight central, and the multiple items are in the cart. Midnight hits, I see one more new item I want to buy. I throw that in the cart, and I then submit the whole cart/order, and the shipping is $5, right???

Correct. The only midnight deadline now is the sale ending. Once the sale ends, you can no longer buy it, even if it's in your cart.

Important thing to remember is that the item is not reserved for you. It's only yours when we get our money - when you've completed the transaction.

As far as the woot-off, we know this is a change. The $5 all day shipping was always stated to be a temporary thing. We did that to make up for the fact that we didn't have a cart.

You could shop the Plus events first and have them in your cart while shopping the woot-off. Then buy when you find something you want. Just watch that the items in the Plus event don't go out of stock if you have your heart set on them.

The other advantage now is that you should see fewer boxes when ordering multiple items (if they'll fit in the same box and they're coming from the same warehouse).

whatsamattaU

ThunderThighs wrote:Correct. The only midnight deadline now is the sale ending. Once the sale ends, you can no longer buy it, even if it's in your cart.

Important thing to remember is that the item is not reserved for you. It's only yours when we get our money - when you've completed the transaction.

As far as the woot-off, we know this is a change. The $5 all day shipping was always stated to be a temporary thing. We did that to make up for the fact that we didn't have a cart.

You could shop the Plus events first and have them in your cart while shopping the woot-off. Then buy when you find something you want. Just watch that the items in the Plus event don't go out of stock if you have your heart set on them.

The other advantage now is that you won't get 5 boxes when you order 5 items as long as they're coming from the same warehouse.

Bingo. I just stocked up on the Sistema, and had second thoughts and bought another pair of gloves that day last week, batteries, etc. In the end, even though it was all cheap, I put in 10 orders and 10 boxes. This would have helped last week. It's really quite simple, as simple as,....

TomDavidson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomDavidson

Yeah, this is pretty much the nail in the coffin of the Woot-Off, as every item has effectively become $5 more expensive.

prttymf8

quality posts: 24 Private Messages prttymf8
TomDavidson wrote:Yeah, this is pretty much the nail in the coffin of the Woot-Off, as every item has effectively become $5 more expensive.

You'll just have to buy 3 of each item to offset the shipping costs. EVERYBODY WINS!!

Gionot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gionot

I'm not a power buyer, so this probably won't affect me much.
I will still miss the $5 all day shipping because I was hoping that one day I would actually manage to take advantage of it. Woot Off or not, I've never managed to find more than one thing I want (to pay for) in a single day. Making me put it all in one shopping cart to get the $5 shipping just makes it all the more difficult.

Oh well, it should make the people who have been campaigning for this change very happy.

mamajamerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamajamerson

This change will definitely be convenient, most of the time. It will, however, keep me from playing the Woot-Off game. With all of the free shipping offers available at other sites, I can only justify paying $5 by spreading it over more than one item.

So, yeah, thanks for preventing all of those future impulse purchases I would've made.

ajrod27

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ajrod27

I'm being denied at checkout, which has never happened before. Possibly a bug?

Edit: Apparently my bank thought somebody was making fraudulent purchases with my account. It's resolved now and my order went through; not Woot's fault.

acraigl

quality posts: 27 Private Messages acraigl

I've rarely purchased more than one item daily from woot, and when I have, its usually during a woot-off. So I guess I don't love it, but whatever.

In general a good add, I suppose, but hardly revolutionary. You should tell amazon about this discovery. They could probably use something like this.

moonbrush

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moonbrush

I was curious how this affects international ShirtWooters. Will we be able to order multiple shirts while only paying shipping once, or is it still $5 per shirt?

whatsamattaU

moonbrush wrote:I was curious how this affects international ShirtWooters. Will we be able to order multiple shirts while only paying shipping once, or is it still $5 per shirt?

I think it's $5 for everything in the cart if it's still available when you "check out".

jmalone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmalone

I have some ideas that could take the sting of this away for us frequent wooters. First, free shipping coupons! I used to get $5 coupons pretty frequently from woot!, but I haven't seen any since the redesign. A small act of goodwill would go a long way for those of us who feel as though we are being fastened by an inclined plane attached helically to a conical surface.

Second, maybe some sort of paid membership program for PRIMEary woot users who purchase frequently and would appreciate free or hastened shipping might be a good idea. I certainly purchase more than the, say ~16 orders a year, that would be needed to break even by avoiding a $5 shipping charge on each order. Maybe there is even some sort of online shopping monolith that Woot! could look to for inspiration, affiliation, or dare I say partnership in such a venture...

ThunderThighs

Staff

moonbrush wrote:I was curious how this affects international ShirtWooters. Will we be able to order multiple shirts while only paying shipping once, or is it still $5 per shirt?

No change for shirts.

Still free in the US for standard shipping.

International shipping is $5 per shirt. (PS: I'm double checking this, just to be sure.)

Edurne

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Edurne

oh a cart a cart a cart... i heart you muchly Woot!!
big kisses and hugs with lotsa boobage (if you're into that sorta thing)

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you.

lnduncan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lnduncan
TomDavidson wrote:Yeah, this is pretty much the nail in the coffin of the Woot-Off, as every item has effectively become $5 more expensive.

Agtreed, everything after your first purchase is now $5 more exensive. So much for the impulse Woot Monkey buys

burmeses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burmeses

I don't care if you have the shopping cart or not; I WANT THE $5 ALLDAY SHIPPING

woottoady

quality posts: 29 Private Messages woottoady

Ouch... this hurts... I'd buy the wine offering while I'm driving to work, and then have the evening at home to sift through the offers for "free ship" stuff I might buy. Now that's gone. Big suck.

This is just another change that takes away from what makes Woot woot. With so many Woot stores, I expect that soon Woot will become simply a "Clearance" tab on the Amazon site

And moofi? Is it included in the shopping cart... Eh?

wondernerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wondernerd

I don't think I'll be purchasing as much now, and may not even bother with woot off's. I think this "shopping cart" will kill bandoleers of carrots (if its not already dead).

If woot wants to consolidate shipping great, I like less boxes on my porch. So we the customers are helping woot cut cost and we are paying more for it. (consolidate shipping to fewer boxes and pay less to ship, charge shipping once per order which generates more revenue per wooter or lose less depending on who's point of view it is.)

This is brilliant!!! I'm pretty sure we are seeing corporate group think at its finest! College business or marketing students out there may find this a good case study of consumer sentiment.

Thats my two cents.

lichme

quality posts: 2273 Private Messages lichme
ThunderThighs wrote:The other advantage now is that you should see fewer boxes when ordering multiple items (if they'll fit in the same box and they're coming from the same warehouse).

Doesn't this mean that the cost to woot to ship will probably be lower? I would think that $5 all you could ship would be more beneficial to woot with the shopping cart then it was without. The cart and the cheap shipping doesn't HAVE to be mutually exclusive. We wantz our cake, and we wanna eat it too!

[Good work on the cart, it seems really easy to use. I like it]

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost

You can hand me a skunk and call it a rose, but please and I mean PLEASE don't expect me to believe it actually IS a rose.

This is like the four items I ordered at Christmas time on other sites. All four were cancelled due to "error," "item no longer available" (whatever that is).

bsla11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsla11

This reminds me of Netflix telling their customers you don't really want movies shipped to your house. We always intended to be streaming company so it will be fine.

bruce57

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bruce57
prttymf8 wrote:You'll just have to buy 3 of each item to offset the shipping costs. EVERYBODY WINS!!

Back away from the pom-poms, slowly...

While the "cart" concept is okay, it just doesn't hold water when discussing "Woot-Offs." When a company offers a myriad of different sales throughout the day, it oughta also offer some sort of savings on shipping...that is, if it expects folks to continue to buy throughout the day.

So, either, a), this hasn't been "thunk through" as well as it should have been, or, b), Woot now considers itself such an irresistible Internet juggernaut that people will come running no matter what the cost.

Woot, you done forgot a basic premise of marketing: don't forget who brought you to the dance.

FYI: I've ordered more than 50 Woots since February...and many of those were "ohh, what the hell - the grandkids would like that, and shipping's free" buys that wouldn't have happened had I not already unlocked free shipping.

As the JCPenney fiasco underscores, a company alienates its core audience at its own peril...

lichme

quality posts: 2273 Private Messages lichme

I do see one problem though: What if I want to keep all of my plus items in my cart that I want, until payday: Then hey look, it's Thursday and this thing I actually want to buy on regular woot is for sale now and will be sold out by tomorrow: How do I purchase the single item without having to add it to my cart and remove the other items? I think if you are going to add the cart system, there should be both a "Buy It Now" and an "Add to Cart" button.

theiking

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theiking

Most of my purchases from Woot are impulse buys during woot-offs and the only reason I buy some of those are to take advantage of the unlocked free shipping.

The only benefit for a shopping cart is the woot plus events...not a woot off.

The woot off is going back to being 5 dollars shipping for every item you buy and you cant use the cart during the woot off because you cant purchase anything after the item is sold out.

This is a HUGE step backwards by woot/amazon and I think it may end my purchases on Woot.

To me this just feels like a greedy move.

garzman80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garzman80

Bye Bye woot-off nick nacks, it has been fun. I'll still look out for some good deals, but no more adding cheap little things for my kids...impulse buys.

Polishemt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Polishemt

I remember woot when it was cool...

ancyker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ancyker

Any time I'd see something I really like I'd see if there was anything else I was remotely interested in to consider purchasing to take advantage of the $5 all you can ship.

Sure am glad I don't have to do that anymore, now I can just buy 1 item once in a while and be done.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

I personally like the new shipping policy. I welcome anything designed to save me money.

I always did like yardsales.

embhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embhorn
...but the truth is we USED TO sell stuff at such stupid low prices in the Woot-Off...

FTFY...

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

Way back when, woot offs were $5 shipping per order, too, so I guess effectively we're going back to the old days.

For the woot marketing folk: from a psychological standpoint the $5 all day shipping deal really felt like a deal in my mind. I felt like I was much more inclined to buy multiple items during the day. Even though I effectively can get the same thing by loading up different items into my cart and checking out just the one time, the fact that you're taking back the $5 shipping psychologically feels like something is being taken away from us and as a result, we're going to wind up paying a lot more in shipping costs if we choose to buy multiple items from woot. It may not necessarily be true, but that's the psychological effect, and it may very well result in lower sale volumes, which may in turn necessitate higher prices.

Another recommendation to keep in mind, given that your parent company, Amazon, offers free shipping to it's Prime members and to folks ordering more that $25 worth of merchandise at one time, you're going to need to make sure that your prices (including shipping) are still more attractive than Amazon. We've had quite a number of Woots where the Woot price was the same as or even higher than the Amazon price. So, especially for woot-offs, most of us will be looking for prices at least $5 less than Amazon. If they aren't, it makes more financial sense to buy at Amazon, instead, just to save on shipping.

mamajamerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamajamerson

How are you seeing this as "designed to save me money"? Clearly I am missing something here and I'd love to understand.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx

The first post in this thread sure is a lot of words just to say "we'd like less people to purchase Woot-off items."

natedogg828

quality posts: 4 Private Messages natedogg828

After some more thought I would be less against this if you changed the woot plus change times to coincide with the regular daily deal changeovers. I can see finding something at 6 am on a daily and purchasing because I was concerned about sell out potential, then a few hours later the woot plus changes occur and now I am upset because something new came up that I would have bought if I had unlocked free shipping and if it is something I really wanted I would have to pay another $5 the same day

122 Woots to date across all sites (now Woot! says I am better than everyone else) including 7 Bags of Crap...snagged a Bunch of Centers (#6) to secure my black square!
Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com