glassglass

quality posts: 1 Private Messages glassglass

If the owners of Woot/Amazon determine the shipping is just too expensive for them to make a profit the way it used to be, perhaps some hybrid system would make sense: Like maybe free shipping after two purchases in a day. Or maybe every third item shipped free. Or maybe items under 12 lb. or maybe under $12. There is just no incentive to purchase inexpensive items with an additional $5 tacked onto them. More expensive things, on the other hand, are a bargain with only $5 shipping.

poohandhoney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poohandhoney

Noticed, about the last 7 pages of complaints, I haven't seen any response from the staff. Did they get fired? I believe that if Woot can't make a profit with $5 dollar shipping they had better find a better system then what they are trying to implement now.

traquy

quality posts: 47 Private Messages traquy

This is the first woot-off EVER that I didn't buy a single thing. I saw a few things I considered but when I did the math I decided against it. There are 2 regular Woot and Woot-plus items I will probably buy today because I won't be buying anything else today (so the combined $5 is fine), but the woot-off was a complete bust.

ldsmom7566

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ldsmom7566
romwil wrote:
Woot- I knew you back in the day. See my account? Joined in 2006. Been here ever since.
I'm one of those crazy people that have a full monkey collection.
I've been here through the cat picture days, the crazy April fools gags, the woot offs that literally ran for days...
I'd buy items on the fly- a quick impulse buy and then recheck during the woot off or the day because I 'got free shipping'.

No longer.

You lost your edge guys.

Look, I'm trying to help here... Remember what makes you different and stick to it. Remember- it was a stupidly large button we mash to buy our crap as quickly as possible before it sold out.

Who needs a cart to do that.

I understand you have grown and have added some 'marketing' people- but they need to remember that your core audience isn't a naive crowd- not one that will believe a saccharine 'market speak' blurb that tries to convince us that this change is double plus good.

I'll miss ya buddy.

W

I really couldn't have said it better. I've been a 'loyal wooter' since '07.
However yesterday's (and day before) woot-off ended that for me. At least as far as any woot-off's go. I ended up ONLY buying ONE item. I'd planned on, and tried to buy many more items than that, but when I saw that every item I put into my 'new shopping cart' kept having a $5 shipping charge added to it (I mistakenly THOUGHT I'd already unlocked the free shipping, so I kept thinking there must have been a glitch in the system), I would remove it from my cart, try again, see the same thing take place all over again until finally I just removed the item/s all together from my 'cart' and would cancel my order. It took me about 3 or 4 attempts at buying different items until I FINALLY pulled my own head outta my (U kno where), and found this thread. It was THEN I realized there would be NO MORE 'unlocked free shipping' as we knew it. At that point I just closed my laptop & no longer worried about watching the woot-off. I realize my couple or few hundred extra dollars in impulse purchases that I would have made didn't, and won't hurt woot's profit margins in the least. However, I am SURE from what I have been reading, that I am NOT the ONLY person who changed their 'normal' woot-off buying habits once they figured out this new shipping charge/shopping cart policy though. So MAYBE woot will have noticed a difference in their woot-off sales from the past couple of days. Get a clue, and listen to the many, many wonderful suggestions found within this thread from so many dedicated, and longtime wooters, and go back to the 'old ways' at least during the woot-off's. If not I predict an end to a great, although short lived era.

It's been nice knowin' ya woot!

ddg123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddg123

Just a data point for Woot - there were 7-8 items during the Woot off that I would have bought for $5 per day shipping that were under $20. It just wasn't worth it and so I didn't buy anything....and then around mid-day I stopped paying attention.

There was one item that was on for $5.99 with a retail price of $11.99 (and not even a good item) - who is going to buy that item or something like it?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

poohandhoney wrote:Noticed, about the last 7 pages of complaints, I haven't seen any response from the staff. Did they get fired? I believe that if Woot can't make a profit with $5 dollar shipping they had better find a better system then what they are trying to implement now.

we're just stepping back and reading what you all have to say. it's incredibly important to us and we'll use it to improve your experience.

in the meantime, thank you all for your input.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mdrcoast
PemberDucky wrote:we're just stepping back and reading what you all have to say. it's incredibly important to us and we'll use it to improve your experience.

in the meantime, thank you all for your input.

Nice to hear. Seriously, like I said in a previous post, the 5 dollars per order is fine for everyday but Woot-Offs. Once I found out there was no unlocking free shipping, I didn't even pay attention. (And I was getting so close to the 100+ mark) I started adding up all my purchases and it was frightening on how much I have spent here. Despite our criticisms we wouldn't be here if we didn't love Woot. We don't see the really deep discounts like we used to, but the shipping made up for it. take them both away and there will be a lot of sad ex-wooters. (who will still stop in to complain about "the good old days")

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
BuffBillsFan wrote:I don't criticize Woot often, mostly because there is not much to criticize. And most of my criticisms have been "hey - this is not as good as it could be, and maybe this might be better...", but I have to say about this one "this one sucks" (to try to get around the Woot translator, that was "t-h-1-s...won...5-u-k-5").

I've been a Wooter for many a year - I have that little black box that says I'm better than most (maybe not better, but at least more prolific), and at last tally spent over $8k with Woot, so I think I have an idea as to what I am talking about....

The idea of the shopping cart is not a bad idea. However, replacing the $5 all day shipping with it trashes the Woot-off spur-of-the-moment sales. Many, many times I have purchased the $1-5 items only after the all-day-shipping has kicked in. Not anymore.

When Woot instituted the $5 all day shipping, it opened up deals that would otherwise have been prohibitively expensive ($6 for 36 NASCAR glow sticks? DEAL! $11 for NASCAR 36 glow sticks? Bah, humbug).

Sure, the cart will open up buying multiple items from the various Woot Plus selections, but so did the $5 all day shipping. Now, if I want to consider something for later, I take the risk of losing the first item just to save $5 on the second. Most likely (just as in the reinstated penalty for Woot-Offs) I will pass on that second item.

Since their purchase by Amazon (not a bad thing overall), Woot has picked up a number of Amazon-like characteristics and products. One thing I would really like Woot to do is to ride on the Prime coat tails and either institute their own Prime-like feature using something like an annual membership fee or purchase amount/quantity over a period, or even simply granting Prime members free shipping.

Given the fact that Woot-Offs have been not-as-exciting as they have been in the past, combined with the replication of Woot-Plus items on Woot-Offs (at the same price), and now no free shipping, I'll be watching Woot-Offs a whole lot less intently unless things change. Darn shame.

I'd like to get full amazon rewards for my woot purchases made with an amazon cc.

signed.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik

I'll be one of the many people to throw my 2 cents in...

cent #1: Regardless of how it's phrased, this change is a price increase.

cent #2: Woot-offs and unlocked free shipping are like peanut butter and jelly, they need each other.

cent #2: Woot-offs and shopping carts are like jaguars and other jaguars. They mostly avoid each other, unless it's mating season.

cent #2: Shopping cart and unlocked free shipping are not incompatible, we could have both.

edit: cent #2b: Understanding that the $5 all-you-can-ship was not intended to be permanent, I think at least re-enabling it for woot-offs (as has been suggested) would be a very good thing, for Woot and for the public (those greedy bastards).

mdrcoast

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mdrcoast
canonizer wrote:I'd like to get full amazon rewards for my woot purchases made with an amazon cc.

YES!!!!!!

marvinbeaverdip

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marvinbeaverdip

This doesn't just affect woot-offs (which it does horribly. I bought one thing the other day, then realized the free shipping was done, and just didn't care to look anymore). There are those items that tend to sell out during the regular woots (or kids woots, wine woots, or whatever) that you can't wait on, and once the $5 shipping load is blown, I just don't feel like doing it again for a random purchase. My wife, who started wooting probably a year ago and is hooked, said the same thing. I really don't understand what the advantage of the "cart" is, and I've read a lot of comments from people saying how much they really wanted one. Why? and why does the cart addition somehow nix the free shipping? Almost every site I shop at has the shipping either discounted, or free, the more you buy. Woot is going the opposite direction? Hopefully woot staff is really looking at the comments here, and reconsidering.
I'm not going to say I won't buy stuff here anymore, but things like the impulse second buy and woot-offs are pretty much dead now.

sbudnic1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbudnic1

While I realize that this thread is basically beating a dead herd of clydesdales and my post is more than likely lost in the hinterlands, I have this to say.

<--- long long time loyal multi wooter

<--- seriously pissed off that I paid extra $5 for a $7 dog treat shooter which I would NOT have bought if I'd noticed the extra shipping in time

<--- accepted with bad grace that things change and I'll just have to be more careful about spending my money aka not buy little extras unless I DESPERATELY wanted them.

<--- even more pissed off that when I wanted a second stupid $7 dog treat shooter, I couldn't amend my order, they wanted yet another $5 and ultimately the item was sold out

<--- always looks at every. single. woot plus item in detail when I unlock ADS and have talked my spouse into purchases due to the free shipping

<--- has purchased many things for family and friends which I might otherwise never buy due to ADS

<--- knows for a FACT that woot prices these days are actually fair to middling rather than "stupid cheap". Come on, guys, it's like YOU THINK WE ARE NOT ON THE INTERNET AND CAN'T POSSIBLY COMPARISON SHOP.

<--- is annoyed that woot has essentially called all of their customer base stupider than Snooki on meth.

woot: Your stupid move is insulting and the timing of it is uber sneaky. I'm certain your sub par iteration of your former glory will make money for quite a while, and people will continue to buy from you thinking your fictional savings are amazing. I, too can sell my $30 jeans for $35 with a crossed out price of $60.

Something happened to you and all the funny blurbs and quirky monkeys can't hide the fact that you're now just one of those beggars I see on the street corners in my city with a cardboard sign claiming poverty written in black Sharpie, snapping up dollar bills from cracked car window to cracked SUV window and darting around the corner to stuff your profits into a dirty duffel bag, going home at the end of every night to your doorman helping you into your Battery Park condo while the concierge holds the elevator door for you.

I hate your changes. Stop sucking.

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb
sbudnic1 wrote:While I realize that this thread is basically beating a dead herd of clydesdales and my post is more than likely lost in the hinterlands, I have this to say.

<--- long long time loyal multi wooter

<--- seriously pissed off that I paid extra $5 for a $7 dog treat shooter which I would NOT have bought if I'd noticed the extra shipping in time

<--- accepted with bad grace that things change and I'll just have to be more careful about spending my money aka not buy little extras unless I DESPERATELY wanted them.

<--- even more pissed off that when I wanted a second stupid $7 dog treat shooter, I couldn't amend my order, they wanted yet another $5 and ultimately the item was sold out

<--- always looks at every. single. woot plus item in detail when I unlock ADS and have talked my spouse into purchases due to the free shipping

<--- has purchased many things for family and friends which I might otherwise never buy due to ADS

<--- knows for a FACT that woot prices these days are actually fair to middling rather than "stupid cheap". Come on, guys, it's like YOU THINK WE ARE NOT ON THE INTERNET AND CAN'T POSSIBLY COMPARISON SHOP.

<--- is annoyed that woot has essentially called all of their customer base stupider than Snooki on meth.

woot: Your stupid move is insulting and the timing of it is uber sneaky. I'm certain your sub par iteration of your former glory will make money for quite a while, and people will continue to buy from you thinking your fictional savings are amazing. I, too can sell my $30 jeans for $35 with a crossed out price of $60.

Something happened to you and all the funny blurbs and quirky monkeys can't hide the fact that you're now just one of those beggars I see on the street corners in my city with a cardboard sign claiming poverty written in black Sharpie, snapping up dollar bills from cracked car window to cracked SUV window and darting around the corner to stuff your profits into a dirty duffel bag, going home at the end of every night to your doorman helping you into your Battery Park condo while the concierge holds the elevator door for you.

I hate your changes. Stop sucking.

Lol

mm20

quality posts: 33 Private Messages mm20
luke975 wrote:I personally like the new shipping policy. I welcome anything designed to save me money.

I'm assuming you've failed at either teh maths or reading comprehension at some point. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

I can't say I'm a fan of this change. This makes Woot!offs more expensive; MUCH more expensive for those who buy multiple items. Remember those days of something crappy being available during a Woot!off and you'd buy it JUST to get to the next item? Yeah, that's going to happen a lot less now.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

jimmclrk1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmclrk1

Wow. So... Woot Offs are now not as exciting. It's just an extra $5 per item.

Long-Time-Woot-Stalker

jimmclrk1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmclrk1

SO.... I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber. How about you just give me free 2-day shipping.

Long-Time-Woot-Stalker

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
mm20 wrote:I'm assuming you've failed at either teh maths or reading comprehension at some point. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

I can't say I'm a fan of this change. This makes Woot!offs more expensive; MUCH more expensive for those who buy multiple items. Remember those days of something crappy being available during a Woot!off and you'd buy it JUST to get to the next item? Yeah, that's going to happen a lot less now.

oh you know what they say about assuming.
changes to shipping = me buying less = me saving money.
there you go. more simple.

I always did like yardsales.

joshobra

quality posts: 35 Private Messages joshobra

I'll just make this short and simple...

I agree with everyone.

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

ParadisePete

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ParadisePete

Cart: Good.
All-day $5 shipping gone: Bad.
Hand-waving it away for woot-offs with "The truth is it's a good deal anyway": Insulting.

ParadisePete

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ParadisePete

Clearly this makes Woot less interesting, especially woot-offs, which will likely disappear in time. The worst part is that If Woot were still independent and they made these changes, once they realized the blunder they'd scramble to fix it. But instead Amazon will, as large companies are wont to do with small acquisitions, simply allow it to flounder.

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

I'll add my voice to the tragic chorus:

Woot, you're treating this site like it's a place to "go shopping," and it's not.

When I'm looking for a specific item, I go to a regular shopping site (very often that's Amazon, where I've been a Prime customer for several years).

But Woot--especially during a Woot-off--has always been more like a carnival. Gimmicky, bright, fun, more than a bit chaotic, with tons of things you didn't know you wanted but which teased you into an impulse buy like a carney in a game stall. Some purchases were great, some were probably inadvisable, but the experience was fun and different.

Now you're saying the carnival has moved to town and wants to be a shopping mall. No thanks--there are plenty of those. They already do the regular shopping thing better. The only reason to go to the carnival is for the color and spectacle and FUN. Give us the monkeys hawking their wares at prices we'll pay because we've already gotten in the front gate, and throw in the occasional thrill ride of a woot-off, and we'll keep coming back. But get rid of what differentiates you from other online vendors, and there's no reason for us to buy a ticket anymore.

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

Just wait until they start adding tax to everyone's orders....

sdilullo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages sdilullo
cf wrote:We should have known the end was coming when even I managed to get a Bag of Cowardliness. It only took 3102 days. : )

Indeed.

3,036 days for me!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 237
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

themanwhocametowoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themanwhocametowoot

This is Not a Good Thing for Customers- and it is STUPID of Woot to "Promote" this as if it is... Only a Fool would think - Oh Gee ! We Finally are Getting a Cart - at the loss of free shipping on multiple orders !

Please don't take us as fools - call a spade a spade and we will show you what we think of it --- with less and less purchases.

Karizma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Karizma

I'm definitely not a fan of this new "cart" if you can even call it a cart... A cart where someone can just come by and take things out of it. Pretty much a misnomer.
I'd use an icon of a paper bag with a hole on the bottom instead of the cart.

I'm sure going to miss the $5 all day shipping.

dfwhokie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dfwhokie

Customer: I put something in my shopping cart about an hour ago, and now it's gone.

Woot: Yes, that item is sold out.

Customer: How can it be sold out, I had one in my shopping cart?

Woot: You don't have one in your cart now.

Customer: Yes, that's the point here. Where did it go?

Woot: It sold out.

Customer: How could it sell out? I had one in my shopping cart.

idz21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idz21
jimmclrk1 wrote:SO.... I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber. How about you just give me free 2-day shipping.

I tried that too. Amazon Prime has no bearing on Woot, so we don't get the benefit here.

***Wooters be aware that the $5 all you can ship is gone*** You will now have to pay $5 for every order (not item, but order). Link to main thread with more details about this -> http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5411101

'What do you think of Woot now?' that the cart & shipping policy has changed survey by ksmith8 -> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RH3ZZHN

meghano1989

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meghano1989

I'm totally perplexed now. I bought my first cart order two days ago. Four items total, two from the same sale. They still shipped out in three different orders, from three different carriers, FedEx, UPS, and USPS.

What was that about less boxes?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

meghano1989 wrote:I'm totally perplexed now. I bought my first cart order two days ago. Four items total, two from the same sale. They still shipped out in three different orders, from three different carriers, FedEx, UPS, and USPS.

What was that about less boxes?

It will depend on where the items are coming from. I'm guessing you managed to somehow get a drop ship item and items from two different FBA warehouses. GOOD JOB!

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
ParadisePete wrote:Cart: Good.
All-day $5 shipping gone: Bad.
Hand-waving it away for woot-offs with "The truth is it's a good deal anyway": Insulting.

To their credit, woot did refund many people the $5 when asked, since it was a new policy. However, that doesn't cover people who didn't ask, and are just mad. They won't complain, they just won't come back to
woot.

I personally may shop now and again, but the 25-30% increase I saw in my ordering with the $5 all day is going to become more like a %50 decrease.

The $5 all day was perfect for people who have small slices of time during the day. I would buy something, get back to working, and then come back later to see if there was anything else I might like to get. Some days maybe I didn't have time to come back, but usually I would come and buy something else.

derrickramsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derrickramsey

I would rather have the $5 all day shipping.

anything but a one...

sbudnic1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbudnic1

and FURTHERMORE &$)(*&$@)(&%#)&%# FREE 2 day shipping from Amazon but PAYING to sit around 3-8 BUSINESSS DAYS waiting for my stuff from woot? How is that "better" for me?

the more I think about this the madder I get.

it's one thing to pony up an honest explanation "sorry guys, our business model isn't sustainable any longer, we're doing our best to keep you happy and are researching better methods"

It's another to punch a woman in the eye and tell her she ought to be grateful because now she can spend less on blue eye makeup and isn't that fantastic, you're welcome!

who over there in your offices is actually buying your self congratulatory bs?

hdlp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdlp
At any rate, we think this is a big step forward, and, if our calculations are correct, it should save the average Wooter 37 years over the course of his or her lifetime that he or she would otherwise spend clicking through purchase screens for each individual item you buy*

Kudo to Woot for trying to cure people with impulsive buying habit!

I don't get it. Unless Woot wants to get more money in the form of more shipping charges, there's no saving on buyers' end on this deal. If you want to save on packaging costs (boxes, tapes, labor...) how about putting all the stuff a person buys on the same day in one single shipment? I don't mind receiving my stuffs a day later if it means saving on my ends. Stores like Amazon, 6pm... do it this way for standard free shipping. Or how about Amazon Prime shipping model?

cf

sdilullo wrote:Indeed.

3,036 days for me!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. : ) Congrats!

cf

I thought it was amusing that the box I just received from Woot the other day was taped up with packing tape advertising Amazon Prime and saying "if I'm not a Prime member, I should try it."

draigun

quality posts: 17 Private Messages draigun
cf wrote:Just wait until they start adding tax to everyone's orders....

Except that this likely wouldn't be Woot's choice and rather that of state/federal legislatures.

BooferFTW

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BooferFTW
burmeses wrote:I don't care if you have the shopping cart or not; I WANT THE $5 ALLDAY SHIPPING

AGREED!

vb2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vb2k

Hmmmm ... Click 3 more times and save $5 shipping, or click 1 or 2 more times and pay $5 more. I vote for clicking more and paying less.

Forget the "better cart"
Keep the $5/day shipping.

chardonay

quality posts: 27 Private Messages chardonay

This new policy stopped me from making a second purchase today. No biggie, it was something I didn't need, but it is definitely going to effect my purchasing, as there are things I discover during the day to buy, now I won't need to look at woot.com during the day to see if I missed something, or if they added something new

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

dnebel514

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnebel514

Woot off barely even watched. Doesn't seem worth it anymore if have to pay each time $5 shipping. Don't really understand how woot can't combine shipping items into less boxes to save money