gregrdx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregrdx
rdgeorge wrote:I've posted very little on these Woot discussions. (I've been primarily a silent and satisfied buyer -- with over 250 Woot orders so far.)

However, I'm happy to answer your question about alternative sites.

In addition to my Woot purchases, I have purchased from the following online stores, which all have excellent daily deal bargains.

Sites with free shipping on all items: 1SaleADay, DailySteals, IceMonkey, BensOutlet.

Sites on which many items are shipped for free: Tanga, GraveyardMall, NothingButSoftware.

I've been a Woot customer since January 2008, but my patronage has now screeched to a halt with the new shipping charges.

While I totally love the monkeys and the funny item descriptions, I hate Woot's sudden "in your face" multiple shipping charges (ostensibly required to provide us with a "wonderful new shopping cart")!

Unless there's a change very soon at Woot (both in policy and attitude), I won't be back.

Additionally, an apology to all previously loyal Wooters sure wouldn't hurt.

Over the past year JCPenney customers became dissatisfied, just like multitudes at Woot who have voiced their opinions.

JCPenney customers spoke up by shopping elsewhere. I certainly understand why. When a company unwisely disregards and disrespects its customers, it should fully expect to experience the dire consequences of its actions.

Exactly and thank you for the alternative sites.

playlikemusic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages playlikemusic
jmalone wrote:Agreed, most of my buys here woot-off or not are impulse buys, and this will almost certainly cost me more or result in me buying less. I often jump on something I see early in the morning that I think will likely sell out, then return later in the day when i have time to check out Woot! Plus sales only because I have unlocked free shipping.

While Woot! considers their Woot!-Off prices 'crazy-low' enough to still be a deal, which I feel is debatable, I can't even count the number of times I have seen loyal Wooters use the "Sure Woot! is only $2 cheaper than someone else on the internet, but I already unlocked free shipping" to justify a purchase at more post-mothership takover (less classic Woot! crazy low) high prices.

I agree, I am more likely to buy a second, third, fourth item if Ive already paid the $5 shipping anyway. It made me feel like I was getting an awesome deal with the rest of the items being "free shipping".

tstyblo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tstyblo

[b][u]won't[b][u] be wooting the same without unlock free shipping...one of the biggest incentives for me to buy from this site.

skallen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skallen

Well, this is disappointing. You guys don't realize how much the $5 all-day affected our buying habits.

I don't have the time every day to dig through the entire woot lineup in one sitting. And given that the best deals get sold out quickly, the all-day thing worked well to get me to come back when I had a moment or two.

The impetus for my impulse buying took a huge hit. I bought my second item today without really paying attention because the change wasn't made clear (confession: I don't read this blog every day.) When I went to add a third item and it came up with another $5 shipping, I promptly cancelled and checked to see what was up.

I'd love to see some stats on whether the cart boosts sales or not. I realize that even with greater sales, the economics of the ship all day might balance. But I would be interested in the answer--are you making more money with or without the cart vs. all-you-can-ship?

WhoCares742

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WhoCares742

Here is a real world example of how the new cart prevented me from buying something. I was going to buy some Pyrex No Leak containers, then I figured I might as well get a second different set since I had to pay for each set if I ordered the second later. I waited a day or two to see of there was anything else that showed up that I wanted. That gave me time to consider if I really need them and then during that time one of the items when out of stock, now I am not buying anything because I talked myself out of it and the price of one set with shipping isn't that much cheaper than what it is at Amazon with Prime.

I guarantee I would have bought one, probably both, with the old system. Is that what you had in mind with the new shopping policy?

editorkid

quality posts: 89 Private Messages editorkid

Not to burst any bubbles, but if you're thinking about buying something and wait on it and it sells out, Woot's attitude probably isn't "what a bummer that you missed it." It's probably more like "hey, we sold them all."

macbjg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macbjg

It's fun to browse all the stuff in all the assorted micro sites but Woot jumped the shark when instead of having one hopefully cool item per day it became just another site selling largely lots of junk and leftovers.

Earl Wajdyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Earl Wajdyk

I've been a Wooter since 2004. Personally, I think that it's been going downhill since Amazon bought it, but this is the last straw. No more woot-offs for me! I'm even considering returning the woot-off flashing orange lights that I bought a few years ago!

Xntric

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako
rdgeorge wrote:Sites with free shipping on all items: 1SaleADay, DailySteals, IceMonkey, BensOutlet.

Sites on which many items are shipped for free: Tanga, GraveyardMall, NothingButSoftware.
While I totally love the monkeys and the funny item descriptions, I hate Woot's sudden "in your face" multiple shipping charges (ostensibly required to provide us with a "wonderful new shopping cart")!
Additionally, an apology to all previously loyal Wooters sure wouldn't hurt.

Sadly, I'm still a little sore with some of the stores you've mentioned for tying up my order for weeks. There has to be something said about the ruthless speed and efficiency of Amaz-oot.

That said, finding random stuff from SlickDeals, Cheapskate blog, or even Woot Deals is always helpful.

mike74511

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mike74511

BS! You're going backwards, go forwards and honor Prime!

Woody1

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Woody1

Every day woot feels more like Amazon but only more cluttered and disorganized. Woot has become a mega store of cast-off items.
It's been 6 months since my last purchase and I don't see another one anytime soon.
In the same period, I have bought 169 items in 87 orders at Amazon and I have Prime. Prime doesn't make the sale, the price of the item does but I find prices at or below woot directly from Amazon and my stuff is here in 2 days like clockwork.
That's my $5 worth.....

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

forbiddenplanet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forbiddenplanet

I used to but 10 - 15 items in a Woot-Off. Having to pay $50 - $75 for shipping is not an option so I don't even watch them anymore. Damn sellouts! Remember no tax also, back in the day when Woot were men and sheep were nervous?!

angelofchaos99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelofchaos99

Hi, Woot staff. I've had a few problems with Woot in the past, but have kept coming back because you've always made it worth my while.

I will agree with many others that since Amazon bought Woot, the true "deals" are few and far between. The $5/day shipping did help compensate for that, as it gave one of the perks of dealing with a mega-corporation (cheap shipping!) to compensate for the reduction in frequency of excellent deals.

As it is now, we have more expensive shipping combined with the disadvantage of getting less value from purchases. You can't have it both ways and retain your customers long-term. Either give us the perks of dealing with Amazon (use of Prime shipping, free shipping on purchases of $25 or more, etc.), or Amazon should allow Woot to operate as a completely independent entity in all but ownership. The latter seems a bit farfetched, since Woot packing slips are Amazon packing slips without the logo. Bet Amazon wanted to "streamline" shipping.

Anyway, sorry you folks got bought out by Amazon. Really - it must not be any picnic, and you get to bear the brunt of customer wrath that should be directed at your corporate Master Control Programs.

MorganSS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MorganSS

I am HIGHLY pissed at the lack of a 5 dollar a day shipping cost for multiple items. Suck it woot, Ive been around a long time and stuck with yall through amazon and all the crappy products. You are losing a customer. I want to refund my 2 purchases I did today and cancel them but I just dont even want to deal with your staff which obviously doesnt value customer support.

mxjx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mxjx

Vote for a "Save for Later" option. Added something in my cart as a maybe. Removed it when I went to buy a shirt. Won't be adding it back as long as there's a Shirt.Woot-Off and will probably forget about it once it's over. :/

carly7479

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carly7479
wondernerd wrote:If woot wants to consolidate shipping great, I like less boxes on my porch. So we the customers are helping woot cut cost and we are paying more for it.

This.

skallen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skallen
editorkid wrote:Not to burst any bubbles, but if you're thinking about buying something and wait on it and it sells out, Woot's attitude probably isn't "what a bummer that you missed it." It's probably more like "hey, we sold them all."

If so, indeed a short-sighted perspective. In 6 months, the attitude might be, "I wish we knew why our woot-off sales have dropped so much..."

jkantczak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkantczak

I must be late to the party. $5 shipping for every order? Goodbye impulse buying, now I will have to look through the whole site and decide during my visit what to buy. Probably not going to happen. Good luck with the shopping cart thing.

P.S. I don't see too many WootOffs in my future 'cuz every item is gonna cost 5 bucks more. No time for lookin!

aiminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aiminator

The cart is nice because you don't have to check out several times - but paying for shipping several times? NOT cool. Looks like my impulsive wooting is OVER! Turns a good deal into a not-so-good deal. How about keep the cart AND the $5 per day shipping? THAT would be a good deal. Really, this cart just ends up being a money maker for them. If they could ship it all for $5 a day before, there's no reason they can't now.

draigun

quality posts: 17 Private Messages draigun

I'm not sure why they don't just do the $5 all day shipping for Woot-Offs, and take it off once the Woot-Off is over.

I'm on the haven't-really-bought-anything-during-a-woot-off-due-to-lack-of-all-day-shipping bandwagon.

shuiheart

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shuiheart
ThunderThighs wrote:Correct. The only midnight deadline now is the sale ending. Once the sale ends, you can no longer buy it, even if it's in your cart.

Important thing to remember is that the item is not reserved for you. It's only yours when we get our money - when you've completed the transaction.

As far as the woot-off, we know this is a change. The $5 all day shipping was always stated to be a temporary thing. We did that to make up for the fact that we didn't have a cart.

You could shop the Plus events first and have them in your cart while shopping the woot-off. Then buy when you find something you want. Just watch that the items in the Plus event don't go out of stock if you have your heart set on them.

The other advantage now is that you should see fewer boxes when ordering multiple items (if they'll fit in the same box and they're coming from the same warehouse).

My husband and I have made multiple orders since the cart was introduced. We started with woot before the $5 all you can ship, so it wasn't that big of a deal to us to see the change. In fact, the cart was actually an improvement over the original (?) model because we could have multiple items from multiple sites under one shipping charge, not $5 per item.

Except, I have one complaint. Why do I seem to get tracking orders for every single item and boxes, sometimes comically large ones, for each item ordered? Never mind that I can't tell what is being shipped with each tracking number, but I thought this was supposed to result in fewer boxes? I guess we must be ordering from separate warehouses (the 3 sets of pjs we ordered for kids, from the same side sale, did arrive in just one box), but it is starting to get a little overwhelming.

speedzon21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedzon21

CART = good
$5 SHIPPING on every order = RIDICULOUS

I haven't been on here in a bit, but now, after mistakenly making two separate orders in under 10 minutes and having to pay $10 shipping, I'm pretty annoyed. Woot's selection and prices aren't that much better than other online retailers to justify this, especially during Woot-offs. Guess my money will be going to Amazon and others again.

If shipping costs are too much for Woot, how about an account option to HOLD all orders for a 24 hour period and ship them together? I don't have any need for my 8am Woot-off to ship immediately if I might want to add something additional at noon.

heidijenkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heidijenkin

Yeah, I'm bummed. I bought 3 different items within 10 minutes, the first something I wanted, the other 2 were "what the heck, Christmas is coming". A fourth was in the cart before I noticed the $5 EACH shipping. I think some sort of rebate is in order for frequent, long term buyers. Kinda not worth spending $9.99 on a ball if there's five bucks shipping.

nemo74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nemo74

Yeah I just made a purchace for $50 on an item I thought would sell out quickly. I then wanted to look around to see what other deals they had to offer. I added another 150 or so to my cart and remembered the $5 for shipping change. I mean granted $5 is not a lot of money, but if it was still 5 all day Woot would have another $150 from me. I emptied my cart and I am posting this. I think that change is put a nail in my coffin for Woot. I'll be a 1 item woot buyer here on out.

maxwax

quality posts: 2 Private Messages maxwax

once I woot something, I almost always spend the next 24 hours poking around for something else to buy since I now have free shipping. This is especially true for smaller items. Obviously now that won't happen. This will result in less purchases from me, both primary and ancilliary.

Please consider bringing the all day shipping back... it's a woot distinctive. I'll come back then

91 woots and a woot fan from when woot was woot.

philgonet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages philgonet
nemo74 wrote:Yeah I just made a purchace for $50 on an item I thought would sell out quickly. I then wanted to look around to see what other deals they had to offer. I added another 150 or so to my cart and remembered the $5 for shipping change. I mean granted $5 is not a lot of money, but if it was still 5 all day Woot would have another $150 from me. I emptied my cart and I am posting this. I think that change is put a nail in my coffin for Woot. I'll be a 1 item woot buyer here on out.

So you bailed on the purchase of $150 worth of items for a $5 shipping charge? That seems pretty impetuous...

mhmank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhmank

Does this mean it is easier to get the Badgers or Chipmunks now?

And during this current woot off how do we get the Badgers or Chipmunks?

Ambix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ambix

As someone who has been using woot since 06 this came as something of a surprise to me. Granted I don't buy a whole lot of woots when I did it was usually during a wootoff and the all day shipping usually kept me looking all day. Had a lot to do with mentality of a shopper I think. What bothers me is that reading back on this old post is that they tried to pass this off as a good thing. I am the buyer you are the seller I understand that relationship, pricing changes happen but please don't try and put a spin on it. It just comes across as deceptive marketing. I know that woot wasn't taking the hit on all day shipping just because they couldn't figure out how to implement a shopping cart.

amoraluv

quality posts: 3 Private Messages amoraluv

should be an all day shipping during a woot off. just throw a number out there if 5 is not enough for you guys.

gmdupas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmdupas

What a load of crap with the 5 dollar shipping thing.

tgrebe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgrebe

I just learned about this the hard way. After an initial Woot-off purchase, I impulsively purchased a second fairly inexpensive item on the same day thinking "What the heck, no shipping charge". That won't happen again.

cmille34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmille34
tgrebe wrote:I just learned about this the hard way. After an initial Woot-off purchase, I impulsively purchased a second fairly inexpensive item on the same day thinking "What the heck, no shipping charge". That won't happen again.

Which Team Fumbles? - I just learned the hard way too -- what a stupid change. This is the lest Woot Off Ill be babysitting. You really should revisit this decision Woot.

chanandbritt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chanandbritt

HATE IT - bought four item during the WOOT OFF and was charged $20 for shipping. Looks like my WOOT days are over.

BIGELLOW

quality posts: 11 Private Messages BIGELLOW

It would be acceptable if the all day $5 shipping were available to Amazon Prime subscribers.

akmoris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akmoris

I just realized that this was happening. I was about to buy my 3rd woot off item and boom... no free shipping. I didn't notice it on the second. Time to close the browser and back away. I think that is crazy that they are charging shipping on each item during a woot off where you can't hold it in your cart.

akmoris

chanandbritt wrote:HATE IT - bought four item during the WOOT OFF and was charged $20 for shipping. Looks like my WOOT days are over.

AGREED!!!!

akmoris

BIGELLOW wrote:It would be acceptable if the all day $5 shipping were available to Amazon Prime subscribers.

Should be FREE for Amazon Prime subscribers!!!

natedogg828

quality posts: 4 Private Messages natedogg828
BIGELLOW wrote:It would be acceptable if the all day $5 shipping were available to Amazon Prime subscribers.

Stop it, compromise not allowed here. FWIW I like this idea

122 Woots to date across all sites (now Woot! says I am better than everyone else) including 7 Bags of Crap...snagged a Bunch of Centers (#6) to secure my black square!
Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bsmith1

quality posts: 93 Private Messages bsmith1
Ambix wrote:As someone who has been using woot since 06 this came as something of a surprise to me. Granted I don't buy a whole lot of woots when I did it was usually during a wootoff and the all day shipping usually kept me looking all day. ...

Whoa there, friend. You've been here since '06 and you think it used to always be $5 all day shipping? I joined in '09 and it was $5 shipping PER WOOT up until like 2012 or something. Then it was "for a limited time only" $5 all day shipping because they added so much crap to the site. In less than a year (I think), they got the shopping cart implemented and it became $5 per order. Did you just start following woot-offs in 2012?