Drbovine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Drbovine

The $5 all-day shipping was great as I would buy what ever was new on Woot early and then come back at 10AM and check to see what else was added. Now it appears I will either run the risk of things selling out and wait until 10 to shop, or those add-on buys will end for me when I buy early. The good news is my bank account will appreciate the continual loss of funds throughout the day.

rubysoho

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rubysoho
luke975 wrote:I personally like the new shipping policy. I welcome anything designed to save me money.

Is this a joke? It's not designed to save YOU money, it's designed to save THEM money by combining orders. The only thing it is saving you is clicks, and I'd just as well have my free all day shipping, thank you very much.

Also, I'll tell you how I've spent money on woot: I see a $5 scarf, I buy three. I see a $4 carving set, I buy it. I see an $8 knife, I buy three. Even then, once tax is added, I momentarily question how much I'm spending. Now, if I go to check out and see my total is over $50 with tax and shipping, suddenly I'm realizing just how much money I'm wasting and just close the window.

Thanks, woot. My husband will be thrilled that my woot days have finally ended after nearly a decade!

gipraw747

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gipraw747

I find the end of $5 all day shipping for woot-offs pretty disappointing.

It will definitely affect my buying process during a woot-off.

The product quality and variety for the Woot-offs is already down considerably over what it was even a couple of years ago. This just further hampers that, imo.

This news makes me a sad wooter.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mdrcoast

Was there a meeting where someone said "This is a good idea"? Might be fine for most days, but for Woot-Offs? Like many others have said, once I unlock the shipping with my first purchase, hitting the "I want One" button becomes much easier as I rationalize that I really NEED that product and shipping is paid for.

Like we needed another reason to quit paying attention to Woot Offs, but hey, you guys sure came up with one!

PLEASE, keep the shipping the same as it was for the Woot-Offs! (even if you have to raise the amount) Other days this makes complete sense but not for the events with time restricted multiple purchases!!!!!

Rachel0982

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Rachel0982
whatsamattaU wrote:
4. I'll be curious the next/first time a one day sale item comes up from the pre-cart era as a post-cart era item, if they will change the price (i.e., lower it a bit) to accommodate the shipping change, or as suggested above, would they adjust the woot-off pricing.

My guess is they won't lower the cost at all. This is based on how they increased our prices with the AA shirts and then didn't lower the cost when switching to an inferior blank. Please tell me I'm not the only one still at least a little bitter/disappointed by that...

Dadoboy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Dadoboy

Well, I'll get on the wagon too... Here are a few things that I have noticed here and Mamma's place.

Amazon did "Add On" items to decrease shipping boxes, but the items still ship separately. I wonder if Woot will indeed ship in the same boxes, as they are implying.

A certain Mod comes in occasionally and says that the big A is a separate company, and no way affiliated with little W, but sometimes I get Amazon boxes (with Amazon tape) on items that I bought from Woot.

The death of Woot-offs.. Yep! With 5 dollar shipping on each item, would be the death. Imagine the 2nd item being the woot-off killer. And who's to say that Woot is going to offer us Woot-Offs anymore anyways?

They will let us rant and rave, and go about doing what they do... I remember when they did the first major change, MOST of the comments were "Keep it fun", but I think they saw "Keep screwing with us".

Do I think they will change? Nope.. it's a done deal, and people will get over it, or leave. Doesn't hurt them the least bit on what we do, because they just don't really care.

]

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Dadoboy wrote:Well, I'll get on the wagon too... Here are a few things that I have noticed here and Mamma's place.

Amazon did "Add On" items to decrease shipping boxes, but the items still ship separately. I wonder if Woot will indeed ship in the same boxes, as they are implying.

A certain Mod comes in occasionally and says that the big A is a separate company, and no way affiliated with little W, but sometimes I get Amazon boxes (with Amazon tape) on items that I bought from Woot.

We use a variety of shipping methods such as FedEx, UPS, USPS, drop shipping (direct from vendor) and Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA)*. We are a customer of FBA just as any 3rd party company that ships via Amazon from their Amazon storefront. That's why you see items delivered in Amazon boxes. IHowever, it is our own inventory.

*When using FBA, we instruct our vendor to deliver the product to one or more fulfillment centers from which the product will then be shipped. Please note that we are not part of the Prime or Super Saver Shipping program.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Dadoboy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Dadoboy
ThunderThighs wrote:We use a variety of shipping methods such as FedEx, UPS, USPS, drop shipping (direct from vendor) and Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA)*. We are a customer of FBA just as any 3rd party company that ships via Amazon from their Amazon storefront. That's why you see items delivered in Amazon boxes. IHowever, it is our own inventory.

*When using FBA, we instruct our vendor to deliver the product to one or more fulfillment centers from which the product will then be shipped. Please note that we are not part of the Prime or Super Saver Shipping program.

Hmmm, soooo

Amazon owns Woot. Woot buys stuff. Woot ships it to Amazon. We buy from Woot. Amazon ships Woot's stuff. Got it! ;)

]

ThunderThighs

Staff

Dadoboy wrote:Hmmm, soooo

Amazon owns Woot. Woot buys stuff. Woot ships it to Amazon. We buy from Woot. Amazon ships Woot's stuff. Got it! ;)

That's about it. We have a team of buyers that work directly with vendors to buy stuff for our community. Does sound whack when you put it like that though.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

fishphotoguy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fishphotoguy
sdownin wrote:Way back when, woot offs were $5 shipping per order, too, so I guess effectively we're going back to the old days.

Except that "way back when" the shipping was fed-ex, not the current "after we've filled the Amazon orders or maybe the next day we'll strap it to a narcoleptic mule with a compass." Oh and the stuff was actually cheaper and unique from every other deal-a-day site.

and the real reason for watching a woot-off was the now discontinued random bag.

ThunderThighs

Staff

fishphotoguy wrote:Except that "way back when" the shipping was fed-ex, not the current "after we've filled the Amazon orders or maybe the next day we'll strap it to a narcoleptic mule with a compass." Oh and the stuff was actually cheaper and unique from every other deal-a-day site.

and the real reason for watching a woot-off was the now discontinued random bag.

Sorry you missed it on April 1

FORUM MODERATOR

fishphotoguy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fishphotoguy
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry you missed it on April 1

Ahh, guess I did miss that one. But since it wasn't on Woot.com, it only gets in on a technicality. When was the last woot-off with a bag?

I'll be around for the shirts and the deals.woot site otherwise, my online bargain hunting will wait until crap.snapster.com gets up and running.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
mdrcoast wrote:Was there a meeting where someone said "This is a good idea"? Might be fine for most days, but for Woot-Offs?

I remember a few people suggesting it in open threads and during the "Beta Feedback" phase. So yes, it was customer generated. We just were happily accustomed to the free "all day" shipping after the first purchase.

chrisanne71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisanne71

I like the idea of $5 per order, especially if at least some of the stuff comes in the same box (for heaven's sake!!!!) Fix the Woot-Off thing tho', so that there's a max you pay for shipping per Woot-Off day.

mtn3pitt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtn3pitt
Rachel0982 wrote:My guess is they won't lower the cost at all. This is based on how they increased our prices with the AA shirts and then didn't lower the cost when switching to an inferior blank. Please tell me I'm not the only one still at least a little bitter/disappointed by that...

Oh the AA T's. How I miss them so. I was okay paying more to keep them and then they did the switch. *sigh* I'm pretty sure there's a marked decline in my purchases of shirts (of which I have 100+) since the switch. At least those still have free shipping in the US (for now...)

- mtn3pitt -

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
chrisanne71 wrote:I like the idea of $5 per order, especially if at least some of the stuff comes in the same box (for heaven's sake!!!!) Fix the Woot-Off thing tho', so that there's a max you pay for shipping per Woot-Off day.

Like... a $15 max would be appropriate. Or maybe consider bundling shipping into the cost of the item. *shudders*

meghano1989

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meghano1989

I don't understand why they never shipped all your orders together under the "$5 all day" policy. It seemed like a major waste of money. When that policy was instituted I expected to start seeing multiple orders all in one box, like Amazon.

RebelTaz

quality posts: 8 Private Messages RebelTaz

IMHO, the cart is great on web sites with hundreds of thousands of items, not on a site with a dozen. Plus it is going to make Woot-Off purchases more of a PITA.

traquy

quality posts: 53 Private Messages traquy

So, it's a woot off. How's this gonna work. I already saw something I'd like to buy, but I'm not going to because them if something comes up later...HEY! it's another $5. Um. No.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
rubysoho wrote:Is this a joke? It's not designed to save YOU money, it's designed to save THEM money by combining orders. The only thing it is saving you is clicks, and I'd just as well have my free all day shipping, thank you very much.

Also, I'll tell you how I've spent money on woot: I see a $5 scarf, I buy three. I see a $4 carving set, I buy it. I see an $8 knife, I buy three. Even then, once tax is added, I momentarily question how much I'm spending. Now, if I go to check out and see my total is over $50 with tax and shipping, suddenly I'm realizing just how much money I'm wasting and just close the window.

Thanks, woot. My husband will be thrilled that my woot days have finally ended after nearly a decade!

actually it was sarcasm. but it will save me money. less purchases means more money in my bank.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

toph25

quality posts: 4 Private Messages toph25

Sorry Woot...I think you just saw my LAST order.

Just found this thread and am shocked by this new policy.

Woot-offs just won't be the same.

See ya...

theiking

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theiking
toph25 wrote:Sorry Woot...I think you just saw my LAST order.

Just found this thread and am shocked by this new policy.

Woot-offs just won't be the same.

See ya...

That is pretty much the general consensus here.

I think woot shot themselves in the foot.

kornuts69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kornuts69

Well, a Woot Off... In for a pistol case and 2002 pieces of fasteners. I'll be back tomorrow morning to see what's here to spend my $5 shipping on...

jbrief

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jbrief

I have a simple solution...

This is owned by Amazon, right? Take a cue from mom and make a Woot Prime. $25/year unlocks $5 all-u-can-ship per 24 hrs.

jbrief

mrfishwhiskers wrote:Proposed Solution: Simply don't ship my purchases until the following day. I'm perfectly fine waiting an extra day and woot getting the benefit of batching up all my orders for the day into as few of boxes as possible. If I need it faster, I'll choose an upgraded shipping option.

This makes a lot of sense.

KhoaTon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KhoaTon

Old Woot was so good in their incentives for customers to get them to buy more. Woot and their customers are properly aligned for making the maximum amount of purchases.

New Woot seems to be nickel and diming customers, resulting in their policies causing psychological and financial barriers to impulse buys. $5 shipping per order is just killing Woot-offs for me.

Makes it easy to resist purchasing from Woot, so probably that's a good thing...

enoki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages enoki

I prefer the "all you can buy in a day for $5." This will definitely cut down on my impulse shopping, especially in a Woot-Off.

jbrief

mick66 wrote:This makes very little sense. The $5 for all orders in a day thing has only been going on for a brief time. Before that you were perfectly happy to buy hundreds of items that all came with $5 shipping on each item. If it's not a woot off, why would you need to make multiple orders in a day? So how has anything really changed?

Absolutely, 100% UNTRUE (at least for me).

$150 items? A Roomba? Sure, I'll pay $5 per item.

But all the <$15 items? I have bought many solely due to the shipping discount. $6 for an item is cool. $11 for the same item isn't. Thats exactly why I bought those glowsticks recently.

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt

I'm pretty late to the party, but I'll give my opinion anyway. I think most wooters would probably be OK (but still not like it) if the cart thing didn't apply on woot off days. On days of the wootoff, give us the old way where we are charged $5 for shipping once and then get free shipping till midnight woot time. If there isn't a wootoff going on, then make us use the shopping cart and charge $5 each time we check out. Many of us still won't LIKE the new way of charging shipping, but we can understand the need for it on non-wootoff days.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee
elangomatt wrote:I'm pretty late to the party, but I'll give my opinion anyway. I think most wooters would probably be OK (but still not like it) if the cart thing didn't apply on woot off days. On days of the wootoff, give us the old way where we are charged $5 for shipping once and then get free shipping till midnight woot time. If there isn't a wootoff going on, then make us use the shopping cart and charge $5 each time we check out. Many of us still won't LIKE the new way of charging shipping, but we can understand the need for it on non-wootoff days.

Amen.

garthsworld

quality posts: 2 Private Messages garthsworld

Well, this will be saving me quite a bit of money, especially during woot-offs. Because I'll be buying a lot less from woot!

ddg123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddg123

Hard to see how this is a positive. While perhaps a bit harsh, Woot should be embarrassed that they tried to "spin" the change as customer friendly. If their metrics were bad on certain items, their metrics were bad and they need to charge more money. Very hard to implement something like this without creating a negative perspective by customers with set expectations.

Given the number of items for under $20 hard to see how it will not significantly impact purchases of cheap items. Why would anyone buy a $5 item or $10 item with $5 shipping? How often will you at the same time be buying something else so that it ships free?

On most days it probably doesn't matter for me - one item usually and can just check the other offers at the same time (though of course since they should be consolidating all orders on the same day anyway regardless of time, their explanation doesn't make sense).

HOWEVER, seems really silly (perhaps even a stupid idea) for Woot offs - for instance they have a $5.99 item now that retails for $11.99.... Gee, I wonder whether anyone will buy it at all (even if they want 3). I guess they will see how this Woot off goes but hard to imagine it not hurting it quite a bit.

masonnyc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages masonnyc

Without question I bought more woot-off items under the $5 per day policy than i did under the old $5 per item policy.
To attempt to rationalize this as saving me clicks is ludicrous-- I would say that part of the fun of the site was clicking through the windows an getting the satisfaction of seeing the gears turning and the success screen popping up-- even on BOCs that process added to the fun.
Will I still buy here? Yes. Will I buy less now? Certainly.

ABIGGUY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ABIGGUY

You have to be joking. In no way is this "basically the same thing."

This is a terrible policy that entirely changes the way we interact with Woot-Offs, and makes it near to impossible to buy lots of small, cheap things over the course of a day. I feel like you're taking advantage, and the fact that this information was buried in a blog post is somewhat misleading, as I just found out when I went to purchase my second item during today's Woot-Off.

All of the reasons I initially loved Woot and spent literally thousands of dollars with you are now gone: the fun of deal-a-day (now too many deals across a variety of categories and Plus), the excitement of an occasional Woot-Off (no longer that different than having Plus options and TERRIBLE in terms of shipping), and no sales tax (gone!).

Well, if you added the cart so we could "check out," congratulations. Today is the day I check out of Woot forever. Goodbye, Woot - we had a nice run while it lasted!

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin

I'll add one more to the chorus of complaints. This is completely in Woot's favor - not their customers. And now we have a woot-off. At least I won't have to worry about checking it every 30 minutes. No more distractions from woot during work. But the Fed Ex guy may think I've joined AA, since I won't have a dozen booze deliveries a week any more.

My wallet thanks you Woot. Your bottom line will not. Add me to the long list of Wooters who will not be Wooting as much. I will miss the impulse buying...

ddg123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddg123

I also wonder how many people participating in this Woot off will be unpleasantly surprised and very disappointed to find out about the new policy when they go to buy their second item of the Woot off, having not otherwise noticed the new policy or this blog post over the last couple days....

sharond95

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sharond95

I'm one of the ones that didn't buy a whole lot before the $5 All Day Shipping was implemented. I confess, I'm a cheapskate (who here on w00t isn't?), and when $5 ADS was, WOO HOO wootOFF! I would be checking things off and on all day to take advantage of the all day shipping.

I bought my first w00t0ff item today and went to buy my second... then I saw the repeat charge of $5 and I put on the brakes. I haven't seen anything else on here that justifies an additional $5 shipping charge, and I won't be glued to my computer all day tomorrow, either (thanks for the freed up time!).

I agree with others on here that $5 ADS is a huge draw for wootoffs. I also like the idea of fewer boxes. A good solution that someone mentioned is a virtual cart where all purchases aren't submitted to the warehouse until the buyer is done purchasing for the day, benefitting the seller with fewer boxes to ship and the buyer with $5 shipping/day.

Here's just ONE example of the backwards effect of $5 PER CART order: The sock monkey puppet was $7.99 (reg $11.99). If $5 All Day Shipping was still around, it's a good add-on item, but with the added $5 for shipping, it cost more than paying full price elsewhere.

Sadly, my w00t0ff multiple purchasing days are done.

thequiltmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thequiltmama

First let me say, I think the cart idea is a good idea..BUT I am with all the others. I won't be doing the woot off anymore then. I like to unlock free shipping. I honestly won't be spending as much because I will have to worry about multiple shipping costs.. sad but true. I will miss you woot.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

A woot-off took a lot of my attention when it happened because I enjoyed the free shipping impulse buys.
Now, the cart - completely destroyed that. I do NOT enjoy working with the cart at all. It is a hassle, especially in the woot-off scenario where things sometimes sell out in minutes, some even in seconds.

On this particular woot-off, I would have likely bought 1 larger item and 4 impulse buy things already, and it is only the morning of the first day. Now it is "none" so far.

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda

Admittedly, I have never been a huge buyer. Only recently took advantage of the 'unlocked shipping' to make an 'impulse buy'. So, today, I won't even bother trying to follow the Woot-Off. It's not just the $5 everything in a day shipping, it's the incremental degradation of the atmosphere / spirit here. Really kind of sad.

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer