+ Add a Comment

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
Dadoboy wrote:Hmmm, soooo

Amazon owns Woot. Woot buys stuff. Woot ships it to Amazon. We buy from Woot. Amazon ships Woot's stuff. Got it! ;)

I would add "Woot very (most?) often buys the same stuff and works with the same vendors that Amazon also works with".

garzman80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garzman80

Came back here to check if they got their crap together and went back to the $5 all day shipping, appears not.

oldfart9641

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldfart9641
TomDavidson wrote:Yeah, this is pretty much the nail in the coffin of the Woot-Off, as every item has effectively become $5 more expensive.

I agree. $5 postage sucks. Count me out.

flash383

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flash383

Here's another vote for terrible idea. I don't have a problem with the cart but part of what kept me interested in the woot offs were the impulse buys after the first order. For me, woot offs have gone down hill in general and this may finally drive me away. Seriously, how many vacuums does one person need?

benjiTK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjiTK

"2. Real talk: we only ever had that $5 All You Can Ship in a Day promotion going because we didn't have a shopping cart. So now that we have a shopping cart, we're getting rid of it. Standard shipping is now $5 per order — just get all your stuff in one order, and it's basically the same thing."

And now you've lost a long time Wooter - basically ALL my purchases (go ahead, check my history) were made on impulse later in the day because I had unlocked free shipping. Mark my words, you all will see a HUGE decrease in sales, and an increase in customer support complaints... Not a good practice imo, the "unlocking free shipping" was a great hook.

wrentfrow

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wrentfrow

This change completely kills the idea of a Woot off for me. Last time I splurged on the Woot off two months ago I bought

5-pack of T-shirts
Airsoft pistol
Some green tea meat rub
Lip gloss for my daughter

...and 3 other things I can't remember. 7 boxes showed up at my house - I remember that much.

I wouldn't have bought anything but the t-shirts if shipping wasn't free. I didn't want any of the other stuff that bad, especially when the items are $5-10...adding shipping doubles the price.

t42vek20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t42vek20

I've just started Wooting. I loved the $5.00 all you can ship. I wish for that to stay. It was what made it fun. A compliment to Woot writers, .. very entertaining. I enjoy this site. I like all the cool things about it, but not the new shipping thing.

italianemperor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages italianemperor

I bought a ton from plus deals and woot-offs because I hade free shipping that day. Now you are completely removing any motivation for me to buy impulse items during a woot off or plus deals. The cart only makes it easier for Woot and not the customer. Pretty stupid idea, and you are losing sales.

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin

I also have to say I'm bummed about this no ADS primarily because of the wine woots. I haven't disliked any of the wine I have purchased from Woot in the past - and because I trust the judgment of the Woot wine buyers, I was willing to take a chance on many wineries I otherwise wouldn't have tried. But when I might end up spending almost as much for my shipping in a single woot off (adding in a couple of other items I've already seen and liked today and estimating my typical number of woot off purchases) as I do for 40%-75% of my total cost for annual Amazon Prime membership, it's ridiculous.

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge

So, since we have established mathematically that there is no sense in buying anything from woot that costs less than $50 anymore, especially during a woot-off, I decided to go through my old purchases. I wanted to see when the last time I bought something from woot for more than $50.

It was November, 2009.

Goodbye, woot. I'll see you the next time I need a TV or computer, and I feel like waiting weeks for the model I want at a good price.

shushine999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages shushine999

I adored Woot when I joined. And I joined, and kept on going. Some 200 items ago. I would bet that EASILY 80% of my purchases were due to the psychological effect of the same-day "Well, I've already opened the '$5.00 shipping' gate, so I may as well...."....

I love Woot. I love the descriptions. I have ROLLED with laughter over the comments on many of the items on the "Woot-Off"s, which were days of frenetic buying on my part, and on the part of the friends I had referred here as well. He((, we even had Facebook "IT'S WOOT-OFF DAY!!!!" posts where we listed and compared our purchases to the amusement of yet MORE friends.

ALSO - I spent $79.00 to be an Amazon Prime member JUST so I could get COMPLETELY free shipping.

Amazon now owns Woot. We all know this.

So can someone PLEASE tell me WHY I should spend an extra $45.00 on shipping, say, 10 cheap "Woot-Off" impulse buys, when I could get them on Amazon for maybe a buck or two more per item but with the end total being far less once my "Prime" kicks in??

You want to go all "Amazon" on us, then add the "TOTALLY FREE" shipping we "Prime" members paid good money for. NOT just for the Woot-Offs.....for ALL orders. PERIOD.

SirWill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirWill

Woot, I just got screwed by the $5 per order instead of per day. I will NOT be buying anything more today during the woot off. Another long time customer lost. The problem is it may have just got HARDER to order stuff during a woot off when there are just a few of an item or a VERY popular item because there are now more steps to complete an order. When woot went to the $5 per day my number of orders went up because of it. Well watch them go down ow.

archindivide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archindivide

Greed is unbecoming of woot! I will still buy things from woot, but woot-off's are now pointless and I will now take a lot more time considering my frivolous purchases. Somebody should be fired for shunning the customers desires for more money and I hope it costs a pretty penny on the charts.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Well, this pretty much ends my participation in the woot-off, unless I see something I was already shopping for. I tended to buy more when I had unlocked free shipping, or at least watched to see if there was anything I wanted since I had already unlocked free shipping for the day.

I really think they should bring it back for the woot-offs, but oh well, not my company. I am just a fairly frequent customer who will become an increasingly less frequent customer, so what do I know? I mean I have only made 271 orders (some for multiple items), I am sure they won't miss my business.

nitramthims

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nitramthims

Feel compelled to post as a matter of principle and solidarity.

Agree with all who say will miss $5 ADS for reasons already posted.
Agree with all who say the PR was not admirable.
Agree that this will curtail impulse spending.

Must add that Netfilx made a similar divisive move last year, one may recall,
implementing a name and policy change, where they lost many members.
Netflix realized their error and reversed their decision.

A thought for Wootoffs:

Post ALL the goods at once on a giant board and let us all madly fill our carts like murderous teenagers at the the cornucopia in the Hunger Games. Those who escape with their stuff (and a $5 per cart shipping charge) will feel like they've lived to shop another day.

jbitzerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbitzerjr

They are just bringing their policy in line with the rest of Amazon's policies since they buggered prime users up the bung with "addon items" and like junk, woot had to do something Lollypop Guild to keep up.

MGilg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MGilg

Woot has officially killed the Woot-Off. (For me) I just made the mistake of purchasing a $6.99 knife on Sports.woot.com during the Woot-off. Thinking that the $5 shipping still stood.

Good-bye Woot-off

kmsoap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kmsoap

Been wooting for years. Prices used to be better, the selection more eclectic. The one saving grace of the Amazon takeover was the $5 all day shipping. I find it hard to believe that Woot cannot hold all orders on one account til midnight and bundle shipping.

Going off to do other things today. Woot just killed the Woot-off.

NascarDad

MGilg wrote:Woot has officially killed the Woot-Off. (For me) I just made the mistake of purchasing a $6.99 knife on Sports.woot.com during the Woot-off. Thinking that the $5 shipping still stood.

Good-bye Woot-off

Yeah, I almost bought the lincoln logs, since they cost 5 dollars more than I could have gotten them elsewhere, but when I checked and found that the $5 All Day shipping was gone, I decided to pass.

dtumd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtumd
ThunderThighs wrote:
The $5 all day shipping was always stated to be a temporary thing. We did that to make up for the fact that we didn't have a cart.

with all respect, you can keep saying this but why do I care that you always said it was temporary? Its a something you put in place that people obviously loved and certainly increased sales. Its insulting to try to pass off this shopping cart (which every other online site has had for years) as a bonus, when you are just hurting your customers and taking away something they like about the site. My wife has bought stuff countless times from woot plus because she knows i bought one of the woots that day, and only for that reason. In fact she will probably no longer even peruse the the woot plus offerings any longer. and we'll be less likely to buy on a whole, especially the cheaper items. but since this is now page whatever of this discussion thread, its nothing new. i'll definitely be checking out betterwoot.com if the originator of that idea ever brings it to fruition.

benferrell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages benferrell

I'm a long-time Wooter but very rarely comment. In the years before the $5/day shipping, I didn't buy much from Woot. I lurked but the site never made it into my daily rotation.

Once the $5/day shipping hit, I was sucked in to the Woot planet. Buying one of the daily items would usually spur me to impulse buy smaller items throughout the day from the multitude of tabs that keep appearing at the top of the site (yuck). I think this change will reset my relationship with Woot to what it used to be. I'll check it occasionally but my purchases will drop off precipitously.

And, as other Wooters have mentioned, Woot offs are now just about useless. I know we used to have to pay $5/item, but the deals were much, much better then. I won't bother with them now.

Good luck with your exciting new shopping cart.

banjoknits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banjoknits

Woot you are Lollypop Guild. Someone should be fired. This is the end for me.

gomosky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gomosky

Not being able to "unlock" free shipping is totally going to change my buying habits... no more extras for me - this will probably cut my buying in half.

hanley05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hanley05

i would just like to say that this has just killed the woot off. I use to buy alot on woot offs and pay 5 bucks for shipping but now i have to pay 5 bucks per item if i buy at different times. horrible choice woot you should bring back the promotion just for woot offs or something like that.

SirWill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirWill
MGilg wrote:Woot has officially killed the Woot-Off. (For me) I just made the mistake of purchasing a $6.99 knife on Sports.woot.com during the Woot-off. Thinking that the $5 shipping still stood.

Good-bye Woot-off

LOL, I did the EXACT same thing.

elfgurl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elfgurl

I just saw a $9.99 hexbug in the kids woot. I was all set to click buy, figuring, what the heck - my son would love this and I'm sure I can find some more stuff throughout the day to add on, when I saw the comment about this new policy. I did not buy the hexbug. Or the cool Disney books that came up after. And now I'm closing the browser, because what's the point of waiting to view more $5-$10 deals that are actually $10-$15 not-deals?

carolrene9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carolrene9
elfgurl wrote:I just saw a $9.99 hexbug in the kids woot. I was all set to click buy, figuring, what the heck - my son would love this and I'm sure I can find some more stuff throughout the day to add on, when I saw the comment about this new policy. I did not buy the hexbug. Or the cool Disney books that came up after. And now I'm closing the browser, because what's the point of waiting to view more $5-$10 deals that are actually $10-$15 not-deals?

Yep, same here. I ordered something first thing this morning and just now saw that the $5 ship all day thing was gone. I was going to be looking thoughout the day, but nope. Not now. That shipping the rest of the day was free was an incentive to keep an eye out for other things. Now there is no incentive. Besides, my boss will get more out of me this way anyway.

mbprice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbprice
SirWill wrote:LOL, I did the EXACT same thing.

I bought that because that's still a pretty good deal for that knife (even though I suspect it's a "factory second"/minor-defect due to the X on the end of the model number). So far, so good. Then, I was also interested in the CamelBak knock-off currently for sale as of 10:30ish ET; but not pulling the trigger. Absolutely would have if I'd already unlocked free shipping.

WoodyDave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WoodyDave

The cart is all well and good, but it doesn't enhance the Woot! experience nearly as much as the all day shipping. If your objective is for customers to visit all the Woot! sites and make multiple purchases in a day, you just shot yourself in the foot. Case in point, I made a purchase yesterday and confirmed out of habit. Then something on sellout! caught my eye but I didn't get it because of the extra $5 shipping. Everyone loses now.

You may have driven those who might have become loyal Woot!ers to other deal sites. It's not too late, even with the new cart you can bring back the $5 all day shipping...

gillamonstar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gillamonstar

First off, my wife would like to thank you for the change. I will likely not be wooting as much now.

Secondly, to those crying foul... this is a business, and they are running their business as they feel they need to to be profitable. I don't like it any more than the next wooter, but it is what it is. If the sales decrease and subsequently profits, then an additional change in policy would be expected.

I, like many of the previous wooters, would tend to buy on impulse once the ADS was unlocked. Now, regardless of how the price + $5 compares to other markets, I will be much less likely to pull the trigger on a purchase.

Most of it is mental, and we all can admit to being a bit bat$hit crazy.... right?

coolac5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolac5

It's pretty obvious that Woot-azon needs to go into damage-control mode, now.

At the end of the day (literally), all corporate will need to do is compare sales figures with this Woot Off with previous.

Let your pocketbooks do the talking, people.

If (more like when, based on the thread comments) they find they are moving significantly less volume than previous W.O. because of this policy change - that will catch their attention. It's all about the numbers - your only as good as your last sale.

jimr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimr1

I think it's really funny that woot thinks this is a really great change for us. it isn't. it sucks. but I'm sure it's very good for the woot management. not sure why I even bother with woot anymore, all I see is a lot of overpriced junk. this may be the shove that pushes me to remove woot from my favorites list.

cwilldesign

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwilldesign
tljx wrote:The first post in this thread sure is a lot of words just to say "we'd like less people to purchase Woot-off items."

EXACTLY!

I was going to purchase the Disney books this morning until I realized my $5 wouldn't cover the whole day. Somehow knowing that makes my sanity kick in and realize I don't actually need any of this crap. Yes, that makes me sound cheap doesn't it? Well I'm shopping on WOOT aren't I?

Good luck with your sale!

NascarDad

BEST PART - I am sure many people won't complain, they will simply stop buying as much as they used to buy under the policy. Leaving woot to wonder where their customers have gone.

Oh, and the soon to be former customers who don't notice the change, get double, triple, quadruple charged, and feel ripped off. Those will be some very very satisfied customers there I bet.

I know the unlock had renewed my flagging interest in woot. I ordered about 25-33% more stuff from woot in in the less than a year WITH the lock than in the full year BEFORE the lock.

jandwill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jandwill

just logged on all excited after getting a woot-off alert on my phone. then i saw a link to this thread....

alls i really have to say is what a bunch of greedy scumbags. you want me to pay $5 per item all day on a woot-off?! that is beyond absurd.

y'all should be ashamed to sit there and feed us this steamy bowl of horsecrap.

atexchad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atexchad

I did not even know about this change until I read a post on pickles. I had to go back to my two orders today to see that I indeed was charged $5 shipping for a $6 knife thinking that I had already unlocked free shipping. Did I miss the email stating that the $5 shipping unlock had been cancelled? What a killer. Why would any pay $5 for an item under $10 or $20 or $30 for that matter. I wouldn't. What a woot off killer! I am no longer interested in Woot, especially now that I paid full price for a knife I thought was a deal. I will def be buying less.......

atexchad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atexchad

On another note, they could easily keep track of multiple orders from the same customer and ship it all in one box to save the customer on shipping. If you buy 5 small items and pay $25 in shipping to woot, those 5 items could easily be put in one box and shipped for $12. I know they have a lot of orders but it can be done......

skitchpatterson3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skitchpatterson3

General consensus is that no more $5 all-day shipping is a very unwelcome change in Woot policy (I too am disappointed). However, people are loving the shopping cart idea.

Woot, how 'bout we compromise? Here are a couple of ideas:

• $5 shipping for first three items purchased on the same day?
  • allow free shipping on subsequent purchases for the next 6 hours after first purchase?
  • throw this policy-change baby out with the bath water?

I think we can reach a deal here. After all, you are Woot, are you not?

jonbondurant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonbondurant

Boo woot! $5 all you can ship during WootOff meant I could buy lots of cheap junk that I don't need. Now the shipping cost makes the junk not cheap enough. I won't be impulse buying like I've done in the past. I'll be much more reluctant to pull the trigger with $5 shipping per order.

If you kill $5 shipping then why not let us Amazon Prime members get Amazon shipping???

birry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages birry

No more all-day shipping sort of turns woot into moot. Dislike.