+ Add a Comment

nasmith003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nasmith003

Wow- I just clicked thru my usual purchasing mode, thinking I could grab a "woot-off" item, then go back and browse the rest of the stuff available for my all-day free shipping - only to get sucker punched by the new policy. Thanks a lot for the obvious heads-up BEFORE I clicked the buy now button.

Woot is now as appealing as shopping on Amazon (It's not). And I'm not going to purchase anything else today either.

foosmaniac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foosmaniac

WOOT OFFs are dead to me with this shipping thing--oh well, now I can save my money.

foosmaniac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foosmaniac
nasmith003 wrote:Wow- I just clicked thru my usual purchasing mode, thinking I could grab a "woot-off" item, then go back and browse the rest of the stuff available for my all-day free shipping - only to get sucker punched by the new policy. Thanks a lot for the obvious heads-up BEFORE I clicked the buy now button.

Woot is now as appealing as shopping on Amazon (It's not). And I'm not going to purchase anything else today either.

Same thing happened to me--I cancelled my orders.

SirWill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirWill
foosmaniac wrote:Same thing happened to me--I cancelled my orders.

How do you cancel an order? I didn't see an option.

trainman269

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trainman269

Not happy - this pushes Woot closer and closer to off my radar. Shame - Corporate America at work...AGAIN...

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
whatsamattaU wrote:Ah, the good old days,...
http://web.archive.org/web/20090730084555/http://www.woot.com/

Yeah, the 'good old days'... so much cleaner, uncluttered, unique, and easier! Seeing that confirmed that, even after the new format has been around for quite some time, that I really did like that style better. Everything was RIGHT THERE on one page. And, only one item to consider! One Day, One Deal. Hmm...

Go back to the 'one day, one deal' concept and all this complaining about the shipping goes away!

Used to check woot every morning... thinking, what is the deal today? Took 10 seconds. Now, with 9 different sub-deals and deals.woot, plus the countless plus deals, it literally can take an hour. Don't check the site[s] NEARLY as often.

...yeah, the good old days!

jmalone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jmalone
Rachel0982 wrote:My guess is they won't lower the cost at all. This is based on how they increased our prices with the AA shirts and then didn't lower the cost when switching to an inferior blank. Please tell me I'm not the only one still at least a little bitter/disappointed by that...

mtn3pitt wrote:Oh the AA T's. How I miss them so. I was okay paying more to keep them and then they did the switch. *sigh* I'm pretty sure there's a marked decline in my purchases of shirts (of which I have 100+) since the switch. At least those still have free shipping in the US (for now...)

Consider me the third. I bought exactly ONE anvil shirt after the switch. I didn't even know it had happened, so opening the package and trying it on was the start of a 10 minute process that went something like this:

"Oh great, my shirt arrived!"
"The design is cool, I'll put it on right now"
"This is weird, why does it fit so poorly?"
"Hmm... it's the right size... lets go see what the wooters have to say"
"WHAT!?!?!?!?! NO MORE AA BLANKS!?!?!?! EVER?!?!?!?!?!"
"Well, I'll just wait to buy anymore shirts until they come to their senses..."

While I don't think that getting rid of $5 all-day shipping will completely cause me to eschew Woot! forever like the t-shirt fiasco, I do think that a bit of a hiatus is in order.

See you all in a couple of weeks! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the return of $5 A.D.S. or an announcement of an EXTREMELY FREQUENTLY REQUESTED AND HIGHLY VALUED (unlike the cart feature) Prime Membership integration...

ksmith8

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ksmith8

Totally not official from woot, but results will be shared with woot somehow.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RH3ZZHN

18 Monkeys, 8 Bandolier of Carrots
32 Woot!, 21 Kids!, 15 Sellout!, 10 Shirt!, 6 Home!, 1 Wine!
122 Total Woots!

dawahsay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawahsay

Yehaw, now I'll spend less money by being less inclined to buy anything on woot. Stupid change, I couldn't care less about a cart. Uniformity with every other shopping site on the internet does NOT make woot better, by any stretch of the imagination. As others have said, at least if you're going to make this (not good for me) change, you should have an exception for woot-off's. You've suddenly squelched all of my interest in this woot-off by me knowing that every item costs $5 more than advertised.

Jensers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jensers
tljx wrote:The first post in this thread sure is a lot of words just to say "we'd like less people to purchase Woot-off items."

Yes - that is exactly what Woot has done... Devalued the Woot-off.

I love their explanation (paraphrasing):

"Hey dumb wooter, we are deciding to screw you for our own gain but we are still selling stuff for cheap so we could give two craps about whether you like it or not. Oh - plus - we are better than you."

Gee thanks.

voodoowing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages voodoowing
whatsamattaU wrote:
Ah, the good old days,...
http://web.archive.org/web/20090730084555/http://www.woot.com/

I actually remember buying that item!!!

almirar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages almirar
bruce57 wrote:Back away from the pom-poms, slowly...

hahahahaha, tears roll down my face!

phattymatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phattymatt

Wow, this 100% will reduce my impulse buys. Doesn't seem like a very good business decision to me.

Stevenam123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stevenam123

Meh. I think I am done also. I haven't seen much stuff worth buying lately anyway, unlocking the free shipping was really the only thing keeping my attention.

Also, the way this was rolled out seems kind of shady. I only look at the deals, would never have known about this before a purchase if it hadn't been linked in one of the discussion threads. How hard would it have been to send an email with the changes?

almirar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages almirar
scubalab wrote:Yeah, the 'good old days'... so much cleaner, uncluttered, unique, and easier! Seeing that confirmed that, even after the new format has been around for quite some time, that I really did like that style better. Everything was RIGHT THERE on one page. And, only one item to consider! One Day, One Deal. Hmm...

Go back to the 'one day, one deal' concept and all this complaining about the shipping goes away!

Used to check woot every morning... thinking, what is the deal today? Took 10 seconds. Now, with 9 different sub-deals and deals.woot, plus the countless plus deals, it literally can take an hour. Don't check the site[s] NEARLY as often.

...yeah, the good old days!

has anyone seen the "one-day-deal" at home depot? I'm buying like crazy... lots of stuff to love!!

wake me at midnight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wake me at midnight

Basically - this sucks. People are going to put stuff in their cart and try to ship all for $5. Then something will sell out or it will hit midnight and its gone.

Who thinks up this stuff at Woot? How does this help the customer - at all?

phattymatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phattymatt

Yeah I bought a shirt this morning, thinking no big deal since I'd eventually be unlocking the all-day shipping anyway. Probably wouldn't have even bought that if I had known.

scubalab

Hmmm, did KnightGhost foresee the decline of Woot! and get out of Dodge before most everyone's feelings turned sour with all the changes??

knottsjer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knottsjer

Goodbye Woot! I will check back occasionally to see if you've added one price/day shipping back. The woot-offs were fun, but as someone mentioned before, my boss will be much happier. As will my wallet.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

This has really turned Woot-off's into chatrooms with changing pictures.
Unless an item pops up and you want a non woot-off item also, it just isn't worth it.

It is slightly nicer for everyday wooting, but I have a feeling woot-off's will go much, much slower now. I mean, who is going to buy 5 woot off items now and spend 25 bucks on shipping on the same site, same address, same day, same person.

sidelsky18

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sidelsky18

Not cool that you removed the $5 all-day shipping just to make an extra buck.

Woots Purchased
---------------
Bundle of Carrots (10/12/11)
Barge of Cats (4/24/13)

lakelady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lakelady

My comment on Tools & Garden was deleted so I will voice my complaint here.

Unlocked free shipping was a big incentive for me to keep checking Woot-off and I usually bought a bunch of other junk. Now I won't bother checking all day and will not purchase anything.

Thank you, Woot, for saving me money and for demonstrating that you don't give a damn about my business or my opinion.

elemenopeee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elemenopeee

Keep seeing low price items (like $3 ipad cover, $5 usb connector, etc) and wondering if the people buying those things know that they're going to have to pay $5 shipping for EACH item. After the cost of shipping, those aren't even good deals.

Lots of us were nervous about what would happen to Woot after the Amazon takeover, and, sadly, it appears that all of our worst fears have been confirmed.

The site is now convoluted, cluttered, impersonal, and snarky in a "carefully measured corporate speak" kind of way. The deals aren't as good as they used to be. The shipping is now more expensive. The t-shirts went from American Apparel to some Honduras sweatshop brand (and the price went up).

Ugh. Sad to see this happen.

scubalab

OK, I actually read all of the comments in this thread, and one thing that resonates as being the only positive to come out of the (bland) cart idea is that it supposedly saves time. Really?!? REALLY?!? It might save one click at best, and actually ADDS time during impulse Woot-off purchases! AND, how frickin hard was it to click on "I want one", then click "Buy Now" (as opposed clicking to the new and unimproved "Add to Cart" button)?

Whoever complained and said we needed a 'cart' like every other online shopping site should hang their head low.

Here's a novel idea Woot! Since you are now becomming more and more like every other online retailer (lotsa items, just so-so savings, a shopping cart,...) maybe it's about time to implement a return policy. Why not...?!? I used to buy things at a deep discount accepting the fact that there were no returns, and if I had buyers' remorse, could flip it (often at a break-even or profit) on Ebay or CL. However, now the savings are so negligible, and the shipping and taxes often put them over...

bethwolkenberg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bethwolkenberg

The only positive thing about the new shipping policy is that it will save me lots of money.

mconrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mconrad

I understand how the cart helps Woot ship all items in an order at once. But with just a little programming, couldn't they have done this anyway with the $5 all day shipping? It shouldn't be that hard to combine the shipments to the same address at the end of the day and put them in the same box. Then we as customers can order items when they are available, and Woot can save shipping costs by shipping them all at once.

As it stands now, the cart is of little value because buyer hasn't reserved the item when it is in their cart. And while it allows Woot to combine shipping without thinking about it, it discourages impulse buying, which was the basis of Woot's existence. Lose-Lose.

scubalab

While I'm venting...

I used to read and get a very good laugh out of the descriptions the talented woot! writers used to publish for the daily item (note - not plural). I used to log on every morning to 1. see what the item was, 2. read the description and have a laugh, 3. see what the community had to say about (or joke about) the item, 4. quite possibly make a purchase, and 5. get on with my day (unless it was a woot-off). BAM, done.

Now, I can HONESTLY say that I'm so distracted by the multiple sites, the plus deals, and having to click the "I want one" button to even get to the full description, that I rarely, if ever, even read the descriptions anymore. I'm sure they are just as whitty, but unfortunately, there are TOO MANY OTHER DISTRACTIONS here for me to even get to them.

The link a prior post had to an old format woot item was so great.

crickee

quality posts: 20 Private Messages crickee

Just my two cents on this. While it will prevent me from impulse buys during a wootoff, I will still be using woot for the daily deals. Since we have about 24 hours on the daily deals, we will still be able to fill our cart and combine the shipping per order. This change will only really affect us during a wootoff or a purchase from moofi so not too big a deal.

I was only 12 items away from my black square, this will now take a little longer to earn.

RAWR Imma Squarryl

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

I thought I would quickly come to my 50th woot purchased item. I am sad to see that I don't think I'll reach this now. I am definitely not interested in multiple 5 dollar charges. Often, the items are the same price (or cheaper) on amazon and camelcamelcamel can help me price adjustments as they relate to woot.

I stopped purchasing woot shirts when they updated the price and lowered the quality (check my history) and now I have less of a reason to continue to shop here... which is too bad because I love the community.

Where am I going to get my bulk glow sticks now?

Suck it, Trebek.

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis
lakelady wrote:My comment on Tools & Garden was deleted so I will voice my complaint here.

Yeesh, now they're resorting to censorship to quell all of the dissatisfied customers? I will join the chorus in agreement - this change will definitely signal the end of woot-offs. Apologists will say "but, but, but, the shipping situation is just going back to the way it was before!" However, once you consider the quality of the deals has decreased, the fact that the deals are all more expensive now AND we pay taxes on wine purchases. . . Nothing is the way it used to be.

jubaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jubaw

HATE IT!!! I can only check WOOT every once in awhile. This will definately slow my impulse purchasing done as with all in a day shipping for $5.00 made a major difference. There are so many times that I barely get my order in before it is sold out, adding extra screens pretty much makes me loose interest in woot. I still will look at Woot most days and purchase from WOOT but during a WOOT off, I will probably stay away...

HATE HATE HATE it!

scubalab

An idea... (read - Dear Woot!, please read and consider)...

Bring back the $5 ADS (yeah, I know it was supposedly only for a limited time). Instead of having a 'cart' (with total shipping at checkout/payment being $5), give customers the option to BUY an item, and put it in their shopping BAG. If they buy another item that day, it gets added to their BAG. At midnight, they virtually leave the store (or are kicked out the door), pay the one-time shipping charge, and their items are processed/shipped. If they are inclined to leave the virtual store earlier (don't know why other than to possibly have the item[s] processed/shipped earlier in the day), then they click a button "Ship my items" and are charged the one-time shipping for all in their bag at that time of departure. If they decide to come back into the virtual store later that same day and make a subsequent purchase(s), THEN add a separate shipping charge.

This benefits woot! and the (currently up-in-arms) customers. Woot! can process all items in the BAG at once, and save on their shipping costs, and the customers still get the $5 ADS (or $5 per 'BAG' shipping).

See what I did with BAG there?

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Smells Amazonian to me!

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid

ThunderThighs! Gatzby!

Quick, check the warehouse shelves!

I think a box of screaming monkeys broke open and now they're posting on the forums!

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
guzmantis wrote:Yeesh, now they're resorting to censorship to quell all of the dissatisfied customers? I will join the chorus in agreement - this change will definitely signal the end of woot-offs. Apologists will say "but, but, but, the shipping situation is just going back to the way it was before!" However, once you consider the quality of the deals has decreased, the fact that the deals are all more expensive now AND we pay taxes on wine purchases. . . Nothing is the way it used to be.

Not to mention, the net, and the world, is a different place than it was years ago when woot first started. They can't go back to how they used to do it and expect to get the results they used to get.

It may be perhaps they are planning on doing away with the woot-off, in which case, problem is solved, I guess. Though not to anyones satisfaction..

thejumpster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejumpster

Yep, couldn't be more disappointed that Woot is becoming another online store and disingenuously trying to pass this off as a Good Thing. If we wanted just one more online shopping experience, we wouldn't be shopping with Woot. It's hard to see how this won't result in many people purchasing many fewer items, which won't be a Good Thing for Woot, but I guess only time will tell.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

By all means, demean and belittle the concerns of the customers. I am sure that will do very well for Woot's bottom line.

How dare these people have an opinion, right?

Most businesses understand, it is the customers that don't complain that they need to worry about - the ones who walk away and never come back. Because the majority of people who are not happy with something at a retailer simply become former customers.

scubalab

guzmantis wrote:I will join the chorus in agreement - this change will definitely signal the end of woot-offs. Apologists will say "but, but, but, the shipping situation is just going back to the way it was before!" However, once you consider the quality of the deals has decreased, the fact that the deals are all more expensive now AND we pay taxes on wine purchases. . . Nothing is the way it used to be.

+1

In addition, to say that 'this is the way it USED to be during Woot-offs', is only PARTLY true. Yes, during woot-offs of old, you had to pay the $5 shipping on each purchase. But, and it's a BIG BUT(T), woot-offs of old had a MAJOR sense of excitement because you never knew when the coveted BAG might make a surprise appearance! AND, they were littered with fun and cheap (even with shipping) items (Leakfrogs and Buckyballs to mention a few) to keep the interest piqued. My F5 key was practically worn. Even with the complaints that the 'bots' always snarfed up the BOCs, or the eternal server crashes, there still was excitement and that 'chance' of snagging a BAG. Now all you have is tablet after tablet after TV after camera. When the woot-off BAGS went extinct, the only thing keeping me even remotely interested in a woot-off was the impulse 'add-on' buy with unlocked ADS.

To say it is, after all, the way it used to be is a laugh and an insult when the only thing brought back was a negative. How about bringing back some of the positives (fun CHEAP items and the elusive BOC)?!?

levinath

quality posts: 1 Private Messages levinath

Another impulse, ADS, wooter that has spent $0 this woot-off. I already have 6 expired items in my cart that, had I not had $5/item shipping, would already be paid for. Thankfully I read the comments on the Disney books post before I bought for my niece.

Makes me sad.

cesg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cesg

This is by far the most disappointing change that woot could have done. we went from a spectacular 5 for shipping all day to a nonrealistic shopping cart.