WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Clickfree Portable Automatic Backup Drives

That's a big important file, why don't you back that thing up? On a drive. Actually, we don't even need to mention that, because these Clickfree Portable Automatic Backup Drives back stuff up automatically!
Clickfree official site

infraredted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infraredted

I'm intrigued by the patented soware in the item description. What part of the sow are they referring to? Maybe I'll get 6 or 8.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

infraredted wrote:I'm intrigued by the patented soware in the item description. What part of the sow are they referring to? Maybe I'll get 6 or 8.

Whoops. I'll send it in for fixin'.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sasquatchcubed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasquatchcubed

Sooo... can I still reformat one of these and just use it as a regular storage drive?

jlc6410

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlc6410

Will this back-up an iMac and MacBook Pro?

Zrie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zrie

Own one of these already. The drives are great & run with just the power from the USB port. However, the drive has a special controller board inside of the enclosure. The drive will not work without the controller board, and the board always mounts a second read-only "drive" with backup software & the like. If you can get past that annoyance, these are great drives in a small package for a great price.

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

Your buying these drives for the software, not the hard drive.

Great for family who are not so great at backing stuff up. I think their motto is "As easy as making toast"

I usually stock up on these for my computer clients who need a simple backup solution.

ThunderThighs

Staff

jlc6410 wrote:Will this back-up an iMac and MacBook Pro?

From the specs:
Compatibility: Windows 8, 7, Vista, MP; Mac OSX 10.5 or later with Intel processor

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

lolamarya

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lolamarya

If only I could get everyone I know who isn't computer literate to buy one of these.... I'm always having to fix people's PCs

Tenderfoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tenderfoot

This looks like a fantastic deal - $63 for a 1-Terrabyte Device, so I'm in for 3 drives...

In addition to using it for a portable backup of just "Data" (I keep it in the Safe Deposit Box with all of my old Pictures on it and update it every 3 months or so) I'll reserve one for use when helping friends and family transfer all the "Data" from an old machine to a new machine regardless of OS or Machine Type (PC to Mac or Mac to PC or Mac to Mac or PC to PC) or even from an old drive to a new larger drive.

Be aware that this device DOES NOT backup or transfer the Operating System or any Programs. You will need to reinstall all of those yourself before using this device to restore the "Data" back to your system.

The new "Clickfree C6" version of this device is able to do "Backup Images" of the entire drive which is then able to be used to clone hard drives or restore Operating Systems and Applications as well as "Data" files, so keep that in mind when using this device.

vlpronj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vlpronj

99 problems but a click ain't one?

triplebud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages triplebud

Lies. I had to click a bunch of places to get one of these.

Peaty

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Peaty
sasquatchcubed wrote:Sooo... can I still reformat one of these and just use it as a regular storage drive?

No you can't there is a chip in the system that prevents you from removing the back up software. I had one of these and tried to just format and use as a regular drive. I could not do it, the software must be hard coded into the systems board.Every time I put the drive in it loaded the back up software.

Peaty

150+ Woots and no signs of stopping...

Tenderfoot

Peaty wrote:No you can't there is a chip in the system that prevents you from removing the back up software. I had one of these and tried to just format and use as a regular drive. I could not do it, the software must be hard coded into the systems board.Every time I put the drive in it loaded the back up software.

Another Solution is to simply open the case, pull the drive and stick it into another case, reformat it and your' all set!!!

Tenderfoot

ThunderThighs wrote:Whoops. I'll send it in for fixin'.

LOL, I'm also guessing Windows "MP" is a typo as well... Probably should read Windows "XP".

ThunderThighs

Staff

Tenderfoot wrote:LOL, I'm also guessing Windows "MP" is a typo as well... Probably should read Windows "XP".

Yeahhhhhhhh, probably. I'll send that in too so it's right in future sales.

FORUM MODERATOR

Tenderfoot

Well, I got my 3 Clickfree 1TB C2 Drives the other day and plugged the first one into my wife's old XP Professional PC, and it appeared to fire right up like it was going to start the backup, but then stopped, and another window overlayed the original one asking if I wanted to perform a software update...

But of course I do, so I hit the OK button, and it very quickly downloaded the software to her PC to install, but then failed during the update. (Bummer...)

That was all she wrote. The Drive could be recognized on that machine and others, but would never begin the Automatic Backup.

Being the technical type, I searched the Clickfree Web Site for a software download to run it again manually, but could not find one anywhere.

Fortunately, the online Chat Box on the Clickfree Web Site was handy, so I used it to get in touch with a Tech that quickly evaluated the problem, and emailed me a link to download the latest software.

I followed the instructions in the email to the letter which included logging into their host server and downloading the software (about 40 Mbytes.)

Once I executed the file, the update began to run and it successfully updated the drive.

After the update completes, the instructions tell you to

(1) "Shutdown and Power Off the PC Normally"
(2) Unplug the Clickfree Drive from the PC
(3) Reboot the PC and let it go through all of its normal Startup routine to come up fully
(4) Plug In and Connect the Clickfree C2 Drive.

Once connected, after about 60 seconds, the Clickfree Backup Screen popped up and she started the backup just fine.

This was an old PC with only USB 1.1 ports on it, and it backed up just fine, albeit very slowly as expected. It backed up about 60,000 files (about 50Gbytes), but took about 18 hours to do it, so very painful time wise, however the best part was that there was virtually NO LOAD on the Single 1.6Ghz AMD CPU during the whole process, so you could just continue doing other stuff without any interruptions which was a Plus.

Just to let you know, I had performed the software update of this device while it was connected to another PC with USB 2.0 ports, and someday if I get another PC, I'll have to be sure to get 3.0 ports to take full advantage of the full speed capabilities of this 1 TB Clickfree C2 drive.

I'm guessing I'll have to update the other two drives I purchased as well, but since I have the software downloaded already, it should be a pretty easy fix if the online update fails.

I'm a happy camper with my little drive and recommend it highly.

Now off to the bank's safe deposit box with my backup drive until next month when I'll retrieve it and update the existing backup.

Here in Florida, with Hurricanes and all, I like to keep multiple backup copies of our family pictures, etc just in case....

Good luck with yours!