WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Philips Home Theater

The Mamas And The Papas. "Stars and Stripes Forever." Reruns of One Day At A Time and Raising Hope. The 1990s hit girl group hit, "Hold On." All these and more will go perfectly with your Philips Home Theater. Plan ahead!

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua

Did you know the Philips TV's are actually made by LG? I may or may not work for one of the companies... have a great week:-)

benjiTK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjiTK
bookofjoshua wrote:Did you know the Philips TV's are actually made by LG? I may or may not work for one of the companies... have a great week:-)

Any chance we could get you to give your opinion on these models for use in gaming? Should I worry about the 60hz refresh and hold out for a 120 or 240hz even? Thanks in advanced Woot community!

sporadic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sporadic

Plenty of reviews from wal mart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-BDP2985-F7-3D-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/21907352
3.5 out of 5 stars there

bookofjoshua

benjiTK wrote:Any chance we could get you to give your opinion on these models for use in gaming? Should I worry about the 60hz refresh and hold out for a 120 or 240hz even? Thanks in advanced Woot community!

Oh, I don't have a clue, I just knew that little trifle of info so I thought I'd share, I don't even watch TV and when I do it's usually at a hotel or a friends house, so I wouldn't have a clue. Sorry... I know there are plenty of people who do know and I'm sure someone will chime in to help! (as well as google, it knows EVERYTHING!)

Tygress

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Tygress

From Amazon reviews, this does not actually work on your Mac through Media Connect as it claims to. Just a heads up in case you were looking to buy this for this feature.

themosquito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages themosquito

Philips 40PFL4706 40" 1080p LED HDTV with NetTV & MediaConnect Specs say 4 HDMI ports, the pictures only show 3. Is there another port not shown or are there only 3?

randyosu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randyosu

Any feedback on the Phillips 3D player w/speakers for $89? I realize it's low end..the Amazon and Walmart reviews are so mixed it's hard to tell. Just looking to use this in a bedroom.

dadrepus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dadrepus
bookofjoshua wrote:Did you know the Philips TV's are actually made by LG? I may or may not work for one of the companies... have a great week:-)

No, all Philips Tv's are made by Funai. Philips only makes and sells their own TV's in Europe, sold their name to Funai for the rest of the world. don't know if they are any good.

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143

LGs are my fav tvs. I know everyone loves sony and samsung but I think LG has the best picture and price.

jreed1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jreed1

Anyone know if you can hook the blu-ray speakers up to cable TV? Looking to use this with blu-ray and cable box.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy
jreed1 wrote:Anyone know if you can hook the blu-ray speakers up to cable TV? Looking to use this with blu-ray and cable box.

It's got aux audio inputs (red/white rca, digital optical, and digital coax. Either your box or your tv should probably have an audio out connection that uses one of those.

mustafaluigi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mustafaluigi

Just so everybody knows, the sound bar does not process a Dolby signal. If you plan on hooking it up not through the analog signal expect issues from a lot of sources.

CoreyJep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CoreyJep
mustafaluigi wrote:Just so everybody knows, the sound bar does not process a Dolby signal. If you plan on hooking it up not through the analog signal expect issues from a lot of sources.

Unclear on this statement which is the reason I came to the forum. Philips sells two models of the sound bar (ref. Philips.com), the CSS2123/F7 and the CSS2123B/F7. The one with the "B" indicates it does support Dolby, versus the non-"B" model does not. My only question is that Woot has the "B" but in the wrong sequence which is not found on Philips website. My guess is it does support Dolby, but would like confirmation from Woot.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

CoreyJep wrote:Unclear on this statement which is the reason I came to the forum. Philips sells two models of the sound bar (ref. Philips.com), the CSS2123/F7 and the CSS2123B/F7. The one with the "B" indicates it does support Dolby, versus the non-"B" model does not. My only question is that Woot has the "B" but in the wrong sequence which is not found on Philips website. My guess is it does support Dolby, but would like confirmation from Woot.

i'll inquire. stay tuned. (hee. pun.)
ANSWER: it does not support Dolby.

the "b" at the end of our title indicates the item is refurbished.

sorry about that. :/

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

CoreyJep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CoreyJep
PemberDucky wrote:i'll inquire. stay tuned. (hee. pun.)
ANSWER: it does not support Dolby.

the "b" at the end of our title indicates the item is refurbished.

sorry about that. :/

Thank you for the clarification. That is too bad but still a good product price.

rgfitz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rgfitz
randyosu wrote:Any feedback on the Phillips 3D player w/speakers for $89? I realize it's low end..the Amazon and Walmart reviews are so mixed it's hard to tell. Just looking to use this in a bedroom.

I bought one earlier on WOOT and it was so successful I bought another "new-open box" one eBay for about the same price.

They are cheaper and probably better than any sound bar for the price.

rgfitz

Go to:

http://www.woot.com/offers/philips-3d-wi-fi-blu-ray-home-theater

to see what I bought. It certainly plays DOLBY:

http://www.demolandia.net/vob-trailers/dolby-digital.html

I installed the rear speakers on the one in my bedroom and it sounds great and uses the digital optical port for the TV.

I didn't bother with the rear speakers for the one in my front room because it is mainly used for TV. It uses the coaxial digital for the TV.

The USB port and the disk drives work fine.

I tried Netflix and VUDU but I can get better media from my local library.

rubenboss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rubenboss
benjiTK wrote:Any chance we could get you to give your opinion on these models for use in gaming? Should I worry about the 60hz refresh and hold out for a 120 or 240hz even? Thanks in advanced Woot community!

I would not recommend these for gaming as their response time are 8ms. If you are doing fast-paced fps the you will want something below 5ms. But if you are playing Starcraft or non-competitive games, then this should be fine.

suebeehoney70

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suebeehoney70

I've been watching these on this and other deep discount sale sites - unfortunately, the bad reviews it's received on WalMart and other sites have me backing away. I'd love to have one at this price, but it's not worth the hassle that it seems many others have had. Think I'll shell out the bucks for a better model.

randyosu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randyosu

Thanks-pulled the trigger on one. I've got the big bang surround system but this should do in the bedroom.

rgfitz wrote:I bought one earlier on WOOT and it was so successful I bought another "new-open box" one eBay for about the same price.

They are cheaper and probably better than any sound bar for the price.

bookofjoshua

dadrepus wrote:No, all Philips Tv's are made by Funai. Philips only makes and sells their own TV's in Europe, sold their name to Funai for the rest of the world. don't know if they are any good.

haha, Right, I don't know what I was thinking when typed LG, I was probably thinking about the big fine that was just laid out over TVs.... I've never heard of us making them just for Europe, As I understood we were getting out of the home entertainment business all together.

We don't manufacture the LCDs used in any of our Healthcare products (Though I'm not sure about the FlexVision that imaging uses, they have some specialized displays that are branded Philips} and that's our biggest division, so it seems odd that we would still make TV for any reason... even just for europe, but the EU has silly laws so who know what could happen.

EdJaegers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EdJaegers

Does the BlueRay Surround sound unit have a headphone jack? My TV lacks a headphone jack, but does have optical out, so if the unit had a headphone, then I would actually be able to watch something at night without disturbing the rest of the family.

silkwilk27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silkwilk27

For the sound bar, how long is the subwoofer cable that is required to connect to the bar.

rgfitz

EdJaegers wrote:Does the BlueRay Surround sound unit have a headphone jack? My TV lacks a headphone jack, but does have optical out, so if the unit had a headphone, then I would actually be able to watch something at night without disturbing the rest of the family.

I don't see a headphone jack.

Here is a link to download the manual:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=HTS3541/F7&hlt=Link_UserManuals&mid=Link_UserManuals&scy=CA&slg=AEN

jatomatic34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jatomatic34

Hello everyone. Would the Philips CSS2123/F7B SoundBar be good for this setup:

(*) Have the TV hooked up to the soundbar via coax output/input
    (*) Have my PS3 hooked up to the TV via HDMI
    (*) Have a wireless bluetooth audio (for iphone music) to the 3.5mm hookup

Should there be any problems with this setup??

Thanks to everyone in advance

dadrepus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dadrepus

Funai makes a pretty good product. Just been reading about the company.

testtrailrun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages testtrailrun

Can add the HULU Plus App? If so, how?

byron911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages byron911

I bought the TV. The woot! sales page said LED tv.
The Philips Support Page says it is a LCD tv.

Can woot! offer an explanation?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

byron911 wrote:I bought the TV. The woot! sales page said LED tv.
The Philips Support Page says it is a LCD tv.

I've bought from woot! before and trusted the ads. Now I'm tempted to return the tv.
Can woot! offer an explanation?

Even the Philips 40PFL4705 Manual says it's got LED technology?

Manual: http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/40pfl4706_f7/40pfl4706_f7_pss_aen.pdf

from the manual:
LED
LED lighting technology is the most advanced
available. In this TV it combines an eye-catching
minimalistic design with stunning image quality,
as well as being the lowest power consumption
in its category. Another environmental benefit is
that LED lighting technology does not contain
hazardous materials. With an LED backlight you
can enjoy low power consumption, high
brightness, incredible contrast and sharpness
and vibrant colors

If you're still concerned with your purchase, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

byron911

Ok, I see that now. Why does the documentation say LED backlit LCD tv?
Isn't a TV one or the other?

Sorry, for my initial over reaction.

ROGETRAY wrote:Even the Philips 40PFL4705 Manual says it's got LED technology?

Manual: http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/40pfl4706_f7/40pfl4706_f7_pss_aen.pdf

from the manual:
LED
LED lighting technology is the most advanced
available. In this TV it combines an eye-catching
minimalistic design with stunning image quality,
as well as being the lowest power consumption
in its category. Another environmental benefit is
that LED lighting technology does not contain
hazardous materials. With an LED backlight you
can enjoy low power consumption, high
brightness, incredible contrast and sharpness
and vibrant colors

If you're still concerned with your purchase, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

byron911 wrote:Ok, I see that now. Why does the documentation say LED backlit LCD tv?
Isn't a TV one or the other?

Sorry, for my initial over reaction.

Oh no worries. It was a bit confusing to me as well until I did some research.

Theoretically speaking LCD televisions are JUST LCD TV's. LED televisions are also LCD televisions but they have LED back-lighting which is superior to regular LCD lighting.

Difference: http://www.diffen.com/difference/LCD_TV_vs_LED_TV

byron911

Thanks. woot! rocks...

ROGETRAY wrote:Oh no worries. It was a bit confusing to me as well until I did some research.

Theoretically speaking LCD televisions are JUST LCD TV's. LED televisions are also LCD televisions but they have LED back-lighting which is superior to regular LCD lighting.

Difference: http://www.diffen.com/difference/LCD_TV_vs_LED_TV