+ Add a Comment

olcubmaster

quality posts: 29 Private Messages olcubmaster
epistorius wrote:I've looked all over the site & don't see any references to a crossword puzzle clue. Are they imbedded in product descriptions or comments or are they more obvious?

Go to the main page and look to the right of the item picture (currently HP Envy) in the little gray "speech bubble."

See it?

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

rawringazn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rawringazn

So where did you find a clue for "doom"?

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 28 Private Messages skispeakeasy
epistorius wrote:I've looked all over the site & don't see any references to a crossword puzzle clue. Are they imbedded in product descriptions or comments or are they more obvious?

Go to the main woot.com page. Look to the right at the top where wootbot comments on every item.

Done and done! ;)

bratib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bratib
Jazie wrote:did you try looking at the main page?

Doh!

Jertyrael

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Jertyrael

This is a creative way for Woot to bring back the BoCs and I'm happy they're giving it another chance.

I am sorry that some people are disappointed, but frankly your disappointment seems to stem from some false sense of self-entitlement and ya need to step back and analyze your reaction and priorities.

"Woot and all our various sites will continue to be an independently operated company full of horrible, useless products and an untalented jerkface writing staff, same as it ever was." -- Matt Rutledge

bratib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bratib
cinoclav wrote:Ridiculous - Just one more reason to hate woot even more these days. Y'know woot, some of us actually have real jobs, that require real attention to doing things other than sitting at a computer watching woot all day. Stupid games likes these completely rule out an even opportunity for most of us to try and get some Crap. Guess I should just go let my patients die on the table while I try to play your game, huh?

I'm not really mad any more, I'm just plain disgusted with what woot has become.

If your patients don't understand, maybe you should introduce them to WOOT in the OR!

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx
bennybenz wrote:"Congratulations! You spent wayyyyyy too much of your day on this stupid crossword puzzle, and are being handsomely rewarded with the opportunity to purchase a bag of useless crap.

DO NOT SHARE THIS URL WITH ANYONE BEFORE YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR TRANSACTION. There is only one BOC at the end of this rainbow, and if you give it to somebody else we can't help you.

[LINK REDACTED]

Thanks for playing, and make sure to rub your victory in your fellow players' faces. That's sportsmanship.

At cross purposes,

Woot"

Well, I was specifically asked to rub victory in your faces, so...

Woot staff, is this the real email? Seriously?

Jessara

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jessara

10 A- Since ID is Idaho, and Dickshooter Idaho is a real place- I went with Flying Monkeys.

skemmis

quality posts: 11 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

AAAAAAAND we're back. You know that "Snooze" button? You know how you just want to keep hitting it and hitting it, despite the wee Woot voices screaming "WAKE UP SKEMMIS" from the internets?

Sorry for the delay, folks. Crossword victory is a dish best served cold, at ten in the morning.

Emailing winners and updating the spreadsheet now.

HURRAH

annwat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages annwat

alrighty then, i'm ready to resume this nice, refreshing twist to who wants a bag of cats!

annwat

i wish there was an up/down vote button for comments.

cinoclav

quality posts: 220 Private Messages cinoclav
justkissmybass wrote:I'm curious how it would be different if they released all the bags at once while you were working, anyways? At least with this method, when you have a chance you can check and see when the next couple items come up if any have clues you could answer.

Woot, I love this method. Don't let the haters' hate get you down. I'm excited to have a chance at a bag for a change.

Because once upon a time they released the bags at approximately the same time each woot-off. You knew pretty close to when to expect them and could at least plan around it. This is the second time today that I've had to sit at the computer, and it's for a total of about 2 minutes. I won't be able to again for another 4 hours when I'm done with patients.

tikimonkey13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tikimonkey13

Got one from the early morning clues, no idea which, but it makes my first one:

Congratulations! You spent wayyyyyy too much of your day on this stupid crossword puzzle, and are being handsomely rewarded with the opportunity to purchase a bag of useless crap.

DO NOT SHARE THIS URL WITH ANYONE BEFORE YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR TRANSACTION. There is only one BOC at the end of this rainbow, and if you give it to somebody else we can't help you.

URL here

Thanks for playing, and make sure to rub your victory in your fellow players' faces. That's sportsmanship.

At cross purposes,

Woot

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass
cinoclav wrote:Because once upon a time they released the bags at approximately the same time each woot-off. You knew pretty close to when to expect them and could at least plan around it. This is the second time today that I've had to sit at the computer, and it's for a total of about 2 minutes. I won't be able to again for another 4 hours when I'm done with patients.

I'm genuinely sorry it isn't convenient for you, but this does open it up somewhat to other people having a chance at them who maybe weren't lucky or have the bandwidth to compete for those handful of bags released all at once. And it's a lot better for Woot's infrastructure, too. Having your servers crash when you try to share something fun for your customers generally isn't good for the servers or the customers.

Jessara

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jessara
justkissmybass wrote:I'm genuinely sorry it isn't convenient for you, but this does open it up somewhat to other people having a chance at them who maybe weren't lucky or have the bandwidth to compete for those handful of bags released all at once. And it's a lot better for Woot's infrastructure, too. Having your servers crash when you try to share something fun for your customers generally isn't good for the servers or the customers.

Haven't seen the 'Worst Wootoff Ever' whiners yet; did I miss them?

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass
Jessara wrote:Haven't seen the 'Worst Wootoff Ever' whiners yet; did I miss them?

Haha, think there were a couple earlier, but I think they went to bed and haven't come back.

codex

quality posts: 9 Private Messages codex

Late to the game, so maybe I've already missed this discussion, but:

76 crossword clues x 2 BOCs/clue = a total of 152 BOCs to be awarded.

Wow. And you thought it was tough picking one up when there were only 2500 available and the servers melted down on a regular basis.

My work here is done. Pedant-man, AWAAYYY!!!

annwat

those of you who are crapping on our fun with the crossword puzzle because you don't like the change, please go somewhere else and spew your dissatisfaction to people who actually care.

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick
codex wrote:Late to the game, so maybe I've already missed this discussion, but:

Wow. And you thought it was tough picking one up when there were only 2500 available and the servers melted down on a regular basis.

What's great about this is that your chances of winning one are actually lower this way, too. The same X number of people are competing for the same 2 BOC's for EVERY clue. So, with exception of the 2 winners per clue, who are now out of the game, you are now trying to beat out potentially thousands of other wooters - for 2 available BOC's. 76 times.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
codex wrote:Late to the game, so maybe I've already missed this discussion, but:

But on the plus side fewer craps tends to mean better craps, judging from the posts on the most recent 4/1 crap.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

skemmis

quality posts: 11 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

Looks like the answer to 53-Down is still up for grabs. We're getting into some harder ones now.

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

Turns out I got one of the 8-Down Fed agency ones!
http://www.woot.com/offers/7331bba3-b3b4-448e-8936-1bb725d416b9

Score-tastic! It may very well be nap time. Good luck!

blkh2bio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blkh2bio

The spreadsheet of clues isn't updating on my end. Is there somewhere I can go to see what clues I've missed?

annwat

bsmith1 wrote:Turns out I got one of the 8-Down Fed agency ones!
http://www.woot.com/offers/7331bba3-b3b4-448e-8936-1bb725d416b9

Score-tastic! It may very well be nap time. Good luck!

wow, that's great! congrats!

annwat

blkh2bio wrote:The spreadsheet of clues isn't updating on my end. Is there somewhere I can go to see what clues I've missed?

try here

epistorius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epistorius
olcubmaster wrote:Go to the main page and look to the right of the item picture (currently HP Envy) in the little gray "speech bubble."

See it?

Yes, I did actually see that one!! THanks. It's the only one though; I'll keep looking.

epistorius

chubechpmnk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chubechpmnk
skemmis wrote:Looks like the answer to 53-Down is still up for grabs. We're getting into some harder ones now.

lost??

cwolfpack3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwolfpack3

Has anyone posted the link to the spreadsheet with the answers? It's a lot easier to read there, than in the little box that has to be scrolled!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ap19MphrCWRAdE0zbjB6Y29BSEhFb2V2QkFiMTE3YWc&single=true&gid=0&output=html&widget=true

Thanks to Woot's big anniversary, I'm no longer a bee oh cee virgin. Woohoo!

miken927

I'm guessing the answer is "No", but, are we allowed to guess the clues and answers before they're actually posted?

------------------
I Bet on Sky

emasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emasters
skemmis wrote:Looks like the answer to 53-Down is still up for grabs. We're getting into some harder ones now.

The spreadsheet is updating very slowly- what was the clue for 53 down?

tabb9512

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tabb9512
miken927 wrote:I'm guessing the answer is "No", but, are we allowed to guess the clues and answers before they're actually posted?

The Rules:
Follow along with the Woot-Off on Woot.com and look for clues in the product descriptions.
When you have an answer, email it to crapword@woot.com in the following format:
SUBJECT: 2-down: Kentucky’s capital
BODY: Frankfort
The first two users to correctly answer the question receive a private link to a page where they can purchase a Bag o' Crap. These links will be unique to each winner.
You get one guess per question, so make it a good'un.
Answers are only eligible once the question has been posted. No early birds.
As always with the BOC, individuals are limited to one BOC per week. So, Crapworders: if you get one, you're done.

anndor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anndor

It says right in the rules that they won't accept answers until the clue has been posted.

Evamos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Evamos
emasters wrote:The spreadsheet is updating very slowly- what was the clue for 53 down?

"Many of you right now, probably"

miken927

anndor wrote:It says right in the rules that they won't accept answers until the clue has been posted.

Thanks; I read that at 1 a.m. so I guess it didn't really sink in.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

Jertyrael

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Jertyrael

Drat! I got the 10 Across one in under 10 seconds and it still wasn't fast enough D:

"Woot and all our various sites will continue to be an independently operated company full of horrible, useless products and an untalented jerkface writing staff, same as it ever was." -- Matt Rutledge

jadedldy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadedldy

So for 53 down I sent in abed (as in "in bed") since it was the middle of the night and I figured people might be on their laptops half asleep like me. lol

drewman11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewman11
jadedldy wrote:So for 53 down I sent in abed (as in "in bed") since it was the middle of the night and I figured people might be on their laptops half asleep like me. lol

I tried beat

annwat

jadedldy wrote:So for 53 down I sent in abed (as in "in bed") since it was the middle of the night and I figured people might be on their laptops half asleep like me. lol

that sounds like a great answer!

SColburn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SColburn

Have all the winners' emails been sent out at this point? Just want to know if I can put my email away and get back to work. lol

thatdamnweasel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thatdamnweasel
Evamos wrote:"Many of you right now, probably"

But "drunk" doesn't fit...?