WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Dell

He built it, he took it public, he made it work, he took it back. Any man who can do all that in one lifetime is a man you might wanna trust. Also, he allegedly drowned the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" guy in his backyard pool. The man just keeps on giving!

Quality Posts

Wubintheya

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wubintheya

Can someone please tell me if the dell xps 8500 desktop will support a multi monitor set up right out of the box? Also will this support a 3d display??

Thanks

nunezdakota

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nunezdakota
Wubintheya wrote:Can someone please tell me if the dell xps 8500 desktop will support a multi monitor set up right out of the box? Also will this support a 3d display??

Thanks

From the looks of it the dell xps should be able to run a dual monitor setup, but does not appear to have the 3d ability. This does not mean it will not work with a 3D monitor it just means you will not be able to use the 3D effect.

Source:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19447724/20099640.aspx

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=678&graphics=Radeon%20HD%207570

nunezdakota

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nunezdakota
Wubintheya wrote:Can someone please tell me if the dell xps 8500 desktop will support a multi monitor set up right out of the box? Also will this support a 3d display??

Thanks

From the looks of it the dell xps should be able to run a dual monitor setup, but does not appear to have the 3d ability. This does not mean it will not work with a 3D monitor it just means you will not be able to use the 3D effect.

Source:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19447724/20099640.aspx

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=678&graphics=Radeon%20HD%207570

nedmc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nedmc

anybody know if/how well the tablet takes windows 8?

dfunk29

quality posts: 47 Private Messages dfunk29

How's Windows 8? I'm a Windows 7 user and don't like changing operating systems when they're fairly new.

nedmc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nedmc
dfunk29 wrote:How's Windows 8? I'm a Windows 7 user and don't like changing operating systems when they're fairly new.

not as bad as some people say. I don't really use metro apps or the start screen, and just a minor annoyance. Windows blue (8.1) is coming soon and it seems to be fixing a bunch of stuff

paulconig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paulconig

Sooo, just to clarify:

The Latitude E5430 does NOT come with an optical drive.... Correct??

:P

Sorry Woot, I had to............

kstoyanoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kstoyanoff
paulconig wrote:Sooo, just to clarify:

The Latitude E5430 does NOT come with an optical drive.... Correct??

:P

Sorry Woot, I had to............

Is it really that difficult to click "Specs" and see that it says none?

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland

That Dell XPS 8500 is a MONSTER.

That CPU is one of the best out.

That GPU isn't the "best" but is still more than solid to play ANYTHING with a decent frame rate.

The kicker? That 256 SSD that the opeating system is loaded too. Super fast.

I don't "need" a computer and I added it to my cart before my "good judgement" told me to not buy it.

If you want a gaming computer...you would be hard pressed to beat this price for those specs.

benferrell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages benferrell
kstoyanoff wrote:Is it really that difficult to click "Specs" and see that it says none?

He's referencing the booboo Woot made when they last sold that laptop a month or two ago. The specs for that one listed an optical drive. When the laptop showed up, lo and behold, no optical drive. It's all right, Woot begged for our forgiveness.

offgridmanpolktn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages offgridmanpolktn

As for the latitude tablet it doesn't seem like much of a deal with Dell having a press conference this past week about the win8 tablets they are bringing out this summer or fall in the 150-200$ price range.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
cjsutherland wrote:That Dell XPS 8500 is a MONSTER.

That GPU isn't the "best" but is still more than solid to play ANYTHING with a decent frame rate.

I don't "need" a computer and I added it to my cart before my "good judgement" told me to not buy it.

If you want a gaming computer...you would be hard pressed to beat this price for those specs.

Both of the 8500's are good deals. The only real knock against either is that because they are prebuilts, the case and power supply are somewhat lacking (although 460w is not terrible).

I would also like to point out that the $600 Dell 8500 is a better computer in nearly every way than the $680 Alienware. Anyone buying one should understand that the alien logo is costing them about $150. O wait, it comes with a fancier keyboard.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie

Thoughts on either of the 660's? The cheaper one at $389 seems like a very good deal to me for an I5 quad core. Basically is the same computer I am using at work. Wondering if dropping in a decent video card will make it a good gaming computer for my two boys?

itoaseik

gtcharlie wrote:Thoughts on either of the 660's? The cheaper one at $389 seems like a very good deal to me for an I5 quad core. Basically is the same computer I am using at work. Wondering if dropping in a decent video card will make it a good gaming computer for my two boys?

Decent, but if you intend it for gaming I'm not sure I would recommend it. The 300-watt power supply is going to seriously limit your options for video cards.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie
itoaseik wrote:Decent, but if you intend it for gaming I'm not sure I would recommend it. The 300-watt power supply is going to seriously limit your options for video cards.

Should have prefaced my question my saying the gaming would be more of the Minecraft and SimCity variety rather than first person shoooters. They use the PS3 for that.

w00tmeplz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages w00tmeplz
itoaseik wrote:Decent, but if you intend it for gaming I'm not sure I would recommend it. The 300-watt power supply is going to seriously limit your options for video cards.

So if I have a 650W power supply and a GeForce GTX 280 I should be golden, right?

yusenlin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yusenlin

Does the 8500 really come with SSD?

Kasona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kasona
itoaseik wrote:
I would also like to point out that the $600 Dell 8500 is a better computer in nearly every way than the $680 Alienware. Anyone buying one should understand that the alien logo is costing them about $150. O wait, it comes with a fancier keyboard.

It's not just the fancy keyboard, there's also the ALIEN FX LIGHTS!!!
Those super cool flashy lights make it TOTALLY worth it, right? You can't have a good gaming PC without a glowing PC case!

Solkre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solkre

I know. I'm still running a Core2Quad and this is so tempting... need to pay off the car first sadly

paulconig

kstoyanoff wrote:Is it really that difficult to click "Specs" and see that it says none?

Is it really that hard for you to detect sarcasm on the internet even with all of my subtle hints??

Jeez I even gave it away at the bottom....

Get on your high horse and troll elsewhere

cjsutherland

yusenlin wrote:Does the 8500 really come with SSD?

It states that is does in the specs and that the Operating Systems is loaded to the SSD.

cjsutherland

Solkre wrote:I know. I'm still running a Core2Quad and this is so tempting... need to pay off the car first sadly

I actually went back and bought it.

I am running an Intel i7 920...but the system I am using now I built 5 years ago. It was time to upgrade to something that will last me another 5 specs wise. (with a potential power supply/GPU upgrade)and this was too good to pass up.

I was JUST about to go to Newegg.com and build mine. I was going to give that AMD FX 6300 a shot to save a little on the CPU an d put it into the GPU...but I guess that will have to wait. ;)

waz4menow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waz4menow

are these factory tested refurb?

itoaseik

gtcharlie wrote:Should have prefaced my question my saying the gaming would be more of the Minecraft and SimCity variety rather than first person shoooters. They use the PS3 for that.

I'm not sure you even need a dedicated GPU for that, but just take a look at the listed power requirements before buying and you should be fine.

w00tmeplz wrote:So if I have a 650W power supply and a GeForce GTX 280 I should be golden, right?

No guarantees that you can fit that power supply in the case, but otherwise, yeah. Building your own is better if you're willing to put in the time/effort, though.

Kasona wrote:It's not just the fancy keyboard, there's also the ALIEN FX LIGHTS!!!
Those super cool flashy lights make it TOTALLY worth it, right? You can't have a good gaming PC without a glowing PC case!

Hahaha, I actually love my glowing case. But that's because it's spacious, with plenty of cooling and additional bays, and wasn't stupidly overpriced.

waz4menow wrote:are these factory tested refurb?

Implied by the "90-day Dell" warranty, but maybe somebody from Woot will chime in with an official yes or no.

scouncil

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scouncil
benferrell wrote:He's referencing the booboo Woot made when they last sold that laptop a month or two ago. The specs for that one listed an optical drive. When the laptop showed up, lo and behold, no optical drive. It's all right, Woot begged for our forgiveness.

Crap. WHICH laptop was that? Not the
Dell XPS 17-702X-2PON Laptop, 17.3” HD+ LED, Intel Core i5-2430M Dual-Core 2.4GHz, 6GB DDR3, 750GB SATA, NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M, HDMI, USB 3.0, DisplayPort, JBL 2.1, 802.11n, W7HP
that I bought for my son's graduation next month, is it? I haven't gotten it out of the box yet (probably stupid to have not done that....).

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

waz4menow wrote:are these factory tested refurb?

Sorry for the delayed response. I can tell you these items are factory-refurbished, but we're not 100% sure that testing is part of their refurbishing process. (It seems safe to assume so, but just for disclosure's sake, I wanted to make that distinction.)

I hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

paulconig

scouncil wrote:Crap. WHICH laptop was that? Not the
Dell XPS 17-702X-2PON Laptop, 17.3” HD+ LED, Intel Core i5-2430M Dual-Core 2.4GHz, 6GB DDR3, 750GB SATA, NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M, HDMI, USB 3.0, DisplayPort, JBL 2.1, 802.11n, W7HP
that I bought for my son's graduation next month, is it? I haven't gotten it out of the box yet (probably stupid to have not done that....).

No it was/is the Latitude E5430.

It was said completely tongue-in-cheek. I thought more people would get the reference.

Sorry for any confusion!!

Here's the 'incident' I'm referring to: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5375349

Using the lappy right now, it's a beast! Love it!!!

Neilrg6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Neilrg6

I recently bought a customized xps 8500 from Dell Outlet, advertised to be a new computer. When it arrived, after booting, it prompted for a password and displayed a users name. I called Dell, and after spending a good deal of time with ill trained personnel from India, I spoke with somebody who was both helpful and knowledeable. The computer was a refurb, although when they listed it they did so thinking it was custom ordered and cancelled. He confirmed that Dell did not have the password and the entire drive would have to be reformatted and the OS downloaded over the internet. I returned the unit. So, in my experience, no they are not tested and you will go through a long, very frustating and arduous experience with barely english speaking and poorly trained personnel in both tech support and customer service.

msames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msames

Wondering if the Dell Inspiron 660 Desktop, Intel Core i5-3330 Quad-Core 3.0GHz can run multiple monitors right out of the box?

deebodoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deebodoo
paulconig wrote:No it was/is the Latitude E5430.

It was said completely tongue-in-cheek. I thought more people would get the reference.

Sorry for any confusion!!

Here's the 'incident' I'm referring to: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5375349

Using the lappy right now, it's a beast! Love it!!!

I purchased that laptop for my daughter and she loves it even without the optical drive. She has an external if she really needs it. I'm thinking of getting one for myself. Hmmmm...?

hoopee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoopee

A refurbished piece of crap is still a piece of crap. Anyone with any recent experience knows better than to buy a Dell, much less a refurbished Dell. The computers have become bargain basement pieces of junk and ALL Tech and Customer Support are handled by the most inefficient people in India.

hoopee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoopee
Neilrg6 wrote:I recently bought a customized xps 8500 from Dell Outlet, advertised to be a new computer. When it arrived, after booting, it prompted for a password and displayed a users name. I called Dell, and after spending a good deal of time with ill trained personnel from India, I spoke with somebody who was both helpful and knowledeable. The computer was a refurb, although when they listed it they did so thinking it was custom ordered and cancelled. He confirmed that Dell did not have the password and the entire drive would have to be reformatted and the OS downloaded over the internet. I returned the unit. So, in my experience, no they are not tested and you will go through a long, very frustating and arduous experience with barely english speaking and poorly trained personnel in both tech support and customer service.

It may not seem like it, but you got off easy. Sounds like you Dell Nightmare only lasted a short time. Imagine if you still had the piece of crap and had to continue to deal with their inane Customer Service and Tech Support. I'll pay 3 times the price of a Dell and switch to Apple before I ever go through the Dell Nightmare again.

cjsutherland

hoopee wrote:A refurbished piece of crap is still a piece of crap. Anyone with any recent experience knows better than to buy a Dell, much less a refurbished Dell. The computers have become bargain basement pieces of junk and ALL Tech and Customer Support are handled by the most inefficient people in India.

The fact remain that the specs for that price are great. Even if something goes wrong, if you have some computer know-how, you can replace a few things with what you want and still save money in the long run. Honestly, if you aren't a "computer person" you probably aren't looking at this because it is far beyond that of which the standard consumer needs by miles.

The Dell bloatware will be taken off asap. Dell has nothing to do with that proecessor being great. With that GPU being more than decent, with that RAM amount and speed being above averge...etc.

Anything that fails, besides the CPU and you STILL make money by replacing it with the price it is on here IMO.

Now, I haven't had a Dell in 10 years or so. I have built my last few...but this deal even made me step back and go "wow."

Lastly, the "refurb" isn't that big of a deal to me. If they do it the "right way" they replace the part and put it through the same tests they do a "new" product. Now, that relies on them doing it "right" but if they do "refurb" means little to nothing to me.

Neilrg6

Yes, the specs are great. Despite my nightmare experience I was very tempted as this was $800-900 cheaper than a new Dell with the same specs. I would have replaced the bargain basement amd 7770 with an Nvidea 660. System also has the capability of handling a later upgrade to 32gb. I am a computer person and can handle these things as well. I have purchased many Dell refurbs with no problems, but my last experience was a horror as I could not even get into the system and it was sold as a new, customized, but cancelled computer. So I slept on it...too late :-(

cjsutherland

Neilrg6 wrote:Yes, the specs are great. Despite my nightmare experience I was very tempted as this was $800-900 cheaper than a new Dell with the same specs. I would have replaced the bargain basement amd 7770 with an Nvidea 660. System also has the capability of handling a later upgrade to 32gb. I am a computer person and can handle these things as well. I have purchased many Dell refurbs with no problems, but my last experience was a horror as I could not even get into the system and it was sold as a new, customized, but cancelled computer. So I slept on it...too late :-(

Yeah, the Power Supply and GPU could use an upgrade. GTX 660 is what I am eyeing as well. But, that Power Supply being under 500W makes me iffy of doing that without upping the Power Supply as well.

The 16 GB of RAM seems more than fine unless I was going to start coding or rendering.

Neilrg6

Does not indicate whether the cpu is overclocked to 3.9ghz, drawing more power. Could be a problem as minimum recommendation on the 660 is 450watts. Tests out on stress usage at 312 watts. The 7770 architecture is designed for low power consumption, but the trade off is poor gpu performance. Should be okay, but safe course is to upgrade the psu.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
nedmc wrote:not as bad as some people say. I don't really use metro apps or the start screen, and just a minor annoyance. Windows blue (8.1) is coming soon and it seems to be fixing a bunch of stuff

Unless you buy a system and get STUCK with it, don't switch. Win8 is the Windows-ME of 2012-?. Bottom line, it was designed for portable use (phones) and that's where it needed to stay. It's all but useless for serious desktop use and it has NOTHING to do with a learning curve. Nuff said

TC1 USCG Ret

Avi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Avi

Fell asleep early last night, got up late - and missed the maxxed out 8500. Not happy.

jbdyson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbdyson
Avi wrote:Fell asleep early last night, got up late - and missed the maxxed out 8500. Not happy.

You and me both. Would have jumped on that quick had I known.