caixiaoshan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caixiaoshan
cjsutherland wrote:It states that is does in the specs and that the Operating Systems is loaded to the SSD.

I don't see anywhere in the specs that talks about SSD...
===
EDIT: nevermind...saw it on the bottom that was sold out...

bodri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bodri

Does anyone know what version of Win 8 these have? Don't want to run into issues like Win 7 Home caused.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bodri wrote:Does anyone know what version of Win 8 these have? Don't want to run into issues like Win 7 Home caused.

There are only two editions of Windows 8:

Windows 8
Windows 8 Pro

Each sale will say what version it has.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

Hmmm, I think that i7 package was on sale $500 off from dell this past week, brought it down to an insanely low $400-ish pricetag. Not sure if it's still active I can't find the thread.

Here's one with a screen if you're looking for another i7 package from dell:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5989134-Dell-XPS-8500-Desktop-Core-i7-3770-3-4GHz-8GB-DDR3-1TB-7200RPM-HDD-23-UltraSharp-U2312HM-IPS-Monitor-Radeon-HD-7570-WiFi-N-Win-8-840-with-free-shipping-Back-Again

paranoydandroyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paranoydandroyd

Okay, here's the deal. I've done an obscene amount of research ,and I'm considering getting the Inspiron 660, replacing the power supply, and adding a GTX 660 video card. From what I can tell, that will give me an upper middle tier gaming computer. Does anyone have any reason why that wouldn't work?

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
paranoydandroyd wrote:Okay, here's the deal. I've done an obscene amount of research ,and I'm considering getting the Inspiron 660, replacing the power supply, and adding a GTX 660 video card. From what I can tell, that will give me an upper middle tier gaming computer. Does anyone have any reason why that wouldn't work?

More and more games are more demanding of the GPU. That CPU should not be the bottle neck for any game. Paired with a good/great GPU you should have more than decent frame rates most any game.

So, simply put, yes. That would work.

mustangsally50

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mustangsally50

Does anyone know if the Dell Inspiron 14z-5423 has an SDHC port? Or just an SD port?

ashadipenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashadipenguin
w00tmeplz wrote:So if I have a 650W power supply and a GeForce GTX 280 I should be golden, right?

I don't think it works like that...meh, who knows!

ashadipenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashadipenguin
mustangsally50 wrote:Does anyone know if the Dell Inspiron 14z-5423 has an SDHC port? Or just an SD port?

I'm afraid it's just SD, according to this Cnet article. SD isn't too bad thought, just a tad slower, etc.
Edit: Might be a good idea to add the link...
http://www.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspiron-14z-june/4505-3121_7-35332511-2.html

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
w00tmeplz wrote:So if I have a 650W power supply and a GeForce GTX 280 I should be golden, right?

Golden? Eh. First, that power supply would hopefully have all the outputs you need. But, lets say it does.

That GPU benchmarks at around 1200 and is a little "older." That benchmark score means you can play most any game...just not necessarily at the highest res/quality. Still would be decent though...Matter of fact if you have that GPU already I assume you know how it performs.

That CPU would not be a bottleneck at all.

haywardkw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haywardkw
offgridmanpolktn wrote:As for the latitude tablet it doesn't seem like much of a deal with Dell having a press conference this past week about the win8 tablets they are bringing out this summer or fall in the 150-200$ price range.

I rather doubt at that price those will be 10" and very likely not 64GB and personally I prefer Win 7though with touch 8 would works to its abilities at least.

tico0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
hoopee wrote: I'll pay 3 times the price of a Dell and switch to Apple before I ever go through the Dell Nightmare again.

Speaking of Apple... you should compare apples to apples:

If you pay 3 times the price of a $400 Dell, you could buy yourself a $1200 Dell Latitude with 3-year Pro Support (based in the US), which in my opinion is superior to any "genius" bar.

stevepilling

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevepilling
caixiaoshan wrote:
EDIT: nevermind...saw it on the bottom that was sold out...

Just got my 8500. The OS is on the 2TB drive. The SSD is sitting there empty.

kovo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kovo
stevepilling wrote:Just got my 8500. The OS is on the 2TB drive. The SSD is sitting there empty.

Yeah, I'm rather annoyed that the OS wasn't installed on the SSD. That's the whole point of having an SSD. So now I installed Windows on the SSD, which was working fine, but then I deleted the old copy of windows from the big disk, which apparently does bad things. Annoying.

EDIT: Had to run the Windows Repair utility from the included OS Reinstall DVD-ROM. That worked so the old copy of Windows is fully nuked and I'm running Windows off the SSD now. Hopefully I won't run into any problems with Windows thinking it's pirated because I deleted the factory-installed OS. I also had to download all the drivers from Dell again and install them, which was a pain, but I think I've got everything now.

The Windows Experience rating went from 5.4 to 7.5. SSDs rock.

EDIT, April 2014: The SSD became corrupted, which corrupted my registry, which resulted in an irreparable Windows installation. I tried to reinstall Windows, but was unable to. I am now purchasing a replacement SSD.