WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

50"+ TVs: Pre-Senior Screens

You watched "The Six Million Dollar Man" live on a tiny B&W portable. You remember seeing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" on a UHF station. You used tin foil on an antenna. You've earned that giant TV in a way no 19 year old has. Treat yourself.



Quality Posts


Geoff240ti


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Geoff240ti

Looking for a 55" + TV... which is the best bang for my buck? Or should I buy a 240hz tv else ware?

MBorzill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MBorzill
Geoff240ti wrote:Looking for a 55" + TV... which is the best bang for my buck? Or should I buy a 240hz tv else ware?



Bang for Buck, 240hz isn't all that important unless 3D is a priority. Getting those two images synchronized perfectly necessitates faster processing. Certainly this is beneficial to 2D pictures as well, but it's marginal, at best. You're unlikely to notice unless you're using it with a dedicated gaming rig and wicked fast video card.

If there's a significant price difference between a wifi/ethernet smart TV and a (dummy?) TV, evaluate your needs. In my house, native built in apps ensure that the better half can watch Netflix without juggling remotes, changing inputs, and ultimately calling me to do it for her. But maybe you already have a blue ray drive or an xbox that can accomplish the same thing. Maybe a few hundred bucks for the TV's crappy and/or slow interface would be better spent on a $99 Roku, a $40 Android HDMI TV stick, a sound bar or surround sound system, xbox, etc.

ripforeverjoey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ripforeverjoey

Someone talk me out of spending the last odd my read return on a 70" tv.

Geoff240ti


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Geoff240ti
MBorzill wrote:Bang for Buck, 240hz isn't all that important unless 3D is a priority. Getting those two images synchronized perfectly necessitates faster processing. Certainly this is beneficial to 2D pictures as well, but it's marginal, at best. You're unlikely to notice unless you're using it with a dedicated gaming rig and wicked fast video card.

If there's a significant price difference between a wifi/ethernet smart TV and a (dummy?) TV, evaluate your needs. In my house, native built in apps ensure that the better half can watch Netflix without juggling remotes, changing inputs, and ultimately calling me to do it for her. But maybe you already have a blue ray drive or an xbox that can accomplish the same thing. Maybe a few hundred bucks for the TV's crappy and/or slow interface would be better spent on a $99 Roku, a $40 Android HDMI TV stick, a sound bar or surround sound system, xbox, etc.



Thanks for the reply! I'm definitely not worried about 3d, intense gaming or apps, but since the vizio I want is a smart tv I'll go with it. Without having to do a bunch of research I just want to ensure I'm getting a decent tv instead of spending more. My current 4 year old 52" Samsung is still great for picture quality. Just hope I can get the same satisfaction out of a 70" vizio.

mardrav


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mardrav

This Vizio 50" can be had gotten almost anywhere for $650. New it comes with 1 yr warranty. The refurb only has 90 day woot warranty. Some of woot's refurbs has been less than desirable lately-

Bluesultan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bluesultan
ripforeverjoey wrote:Someone talk me out of spending the last odd my read return on a 70" tv.



I have no idea what you're talking about but DON'T DO IT!

nmchapma


quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
Bluesultan wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about but DON'T DO IT!



tax return :-)

rytard22


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rytard22

A few months ago we bought the Vizio M550SL as a returned open box item from Sam's Club for $700. I think they were selling it for $900 new at that time. We've been happy with it.

It's got full calibration controls so I can calibrate it if I ever get around to doing so.

When researching TVs I considered wifi and 3D. While a 3D TV was tempting, I'm glad we didn't get one. My family doesn't watch nearly enough TV to justify the need for that, even if it's only a few extra bucks.

The smart feature is great. When our toddler wants to watch Thomas or Curious George it's great to have the convenience of Netflix built into the TV's remote, with no external Roko/Apple TV/whatever else box to turn on.

One word of warning is that before I bought this TV I read that the wifi can be spotty. I've found that to be exactly the case. I highly recommend connecting to the internet via ethernet if you have the option. If anyone has questions, ask away. I'll try to answer.

dwberrett


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dwberrett

Does anybody know if this LG TV comes with manufacturer warranty, too? It doesn't specify, only that it comes with the Woot warranty. I bought a Dyson vacuum from Woot last year that came with both, hence the question. Thanks!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dwberrett wrote:Does anybody know if this LG TV comes with manufacturer warranty, too? It doesn't specify, only that it comes with the Woot warranty. I bought a Dyson vacuum from Woot last year that came with both, hence the question. Thanks!



It comes with a 90-day Woot warranty only. You can purchase an extended warranty through SquareTrade or other third party company.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

goldnectar


quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldnectar
Geoff240ti wrote:Thanks for the reply! I'm definitely not worried about 3d, intense gaming or apps, but since the vizio I want is a smart tv I'll go with it. Without having to do a bunch of research I just want to ensure I'm getting a decent tv instead of spending more. My current 4 year old 52" Samsung is still great for picture quality. Just hope I can get the same satisfaction out of a 70" vizio.



As someone who already owns a 60" smart vizio...you won't use the apps function if you have any other alternative because it is DOG SLOW. Once streaming it is fine, unless you rewind or fastforward. But every other aspect is painfully so. I have it hooked up to a PC and PS3 and I never use the smart features because of the slow UI. I would recommend what the previous guy said and save a few hundred bucks on a non-smart TV and attach a roku...plus, with roku u get hbo-go.

timerider


quality posts: 4 Private Messages timerider

Wow. When it was new our 32" LCD TV cost almost as much as that 70" does now.

mhodges


quality posts: 9 Private Messages mhodges

I own the Vizio 70" one and absolutely love it. Would have liked to have had the Sharp 70" though.

If I had more money than sense, I'd pluck down the money on 3 of the 50" ones to create the ultimate three screen gaming machine!

joegcalif


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joegcalif

Hi,
Can you confirm that the VIZIO M650VSE 65" will fit on the Bush VS11550A-03 Segments Swivel TV Stand that I've already purchased. The weight seems fine, and I'm willing to drill some holes if needed- Thanks!!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

joegcalif wrote:Hi,
Can you confirm that the VIZIO M650VSE 65" will fit on the Bush VS11550A-03 Segments Swivel TV Stand that I've already purchased. The weight seems fine, and I'm willing to drill some holes if needed- Thanks!!



The specs for that stand were for up to 60". We can't confirm anything that exceeds the manufacturer's specs.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

brickfrenzy


quality posts: 3 Private Messages brickfrenzy

So I'm checking out the Amazon reviews of the two non-3D Sharp TVs, the 640 (with wi-fi) and the 600 (without). I don't care about wifi, as I have a Roku that does all that streaming stuff for me, and I don't really want to spend the $120 premium. But the Amazon reviews imply that the calibration menu on the 600 is incomplete, whereas the reviews for the 640 show a full calibration system.

Anybody have more information regarding calibration on the 600?

SkwerlKC


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SkwerlKC

Does the Sharp come with 3D glasses? I'm trying to determine which active shutter glasses will be compatible. Looks like everything labeled as compatible specifically with Sharp Aquos are $50-60 each.

brickfrenzy


quality posts: 3 Private Messages brickfrenzy
brickfrenzy wrote:So I'm checking out the Amazon reviews of the two non-3D Sharp TVs, the 640 (with wi-fi) and the 600 (without). I don't care about wifi, as I have a Roku that does all that streaming stuff for me, and I don't really want to spend the $120 premium. But the Amazon reviews imply that the calibration menu on the 600 is incomplete, whereas the reviews for the 640 show a full calibration system.

Anybody have more information regarding calibration on the 600?



Ahh, I found my own answer. The 600, being that it is not a "smart" TV, is hobbled by lesser calibration options. It's part of Sharp's business policy to upcharge you into a "smart" TV, such as the 640, in order to be able to get the larger suite of calibration tools in the software.

waddledoodle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages waddledoodle

Has anyone bought one of the Hisense TVs? They look very good for the price, but I can't find many reviews of them.

bstrassburg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bstrassburg
brickfrenzy wrote:Ahh, I found my own answer. The 600, being that it is not a "smart" TV, is hobbled by lesser calibration options. It's part of Sharp's business policy to upcharge you into a "smart" TV, such as the 640, in order to be able to get the larger suite of calibration tools in the software.



I just bought the 640 for this very reason. I have no use for the Smart TV functionality but the 640 is just a better TV and worth the upcharge in my opinion.

maxroberts22


quality posts: 1 Private Messages maxroberts22

Has anyone heard anything bad about the VIZIO M650VSE 65" 1080p Razer LED Smart TV??? I am new to buying refurb'ed TVs. Someone commented about the VIZIO UI being dog slow. That would be a deal breaker for me, but I really want the Amazon Instant Video feature (not on the Sharp TVs).

thejsm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejsm
Bluesultan wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about but DON'T DO IT!



Sigh, I wish I got a tax return. I make too much money

bstrassburg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bstrassburg
thejsm wrote:Sigh, I wish I got a tax return. I make too much money



Humblebrag?

onyxbfly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages onyxbfly
brickfrenzy wrote:So I'm checking out the Amazon reviews of the two non-3D Sharp TVs, the 640 (with wi-fi) and the 600 (without). I don't care about wifi, as I have a Roku that does all that streaming stuff for me, and I don't really want to spend the $120 premium. But the Amazon reviews imply that the calibration menu on the 600 is incomplete, whereas the reviews for the 640 show a full calibration system.

Anybody have more information regarding calibration on the 600?




The difference between the two is night and day. The 640 is worth the extra. I purchased the 600 during the black Friday rush.....returned it on Monday for the 640. Spent over 5 hrs trying to get the 600 calibrated to have a decent picture. Calibrated the 640 in under 2. You just cant get the 600 calibrated properly without access to the advanced calibration menus. If you buy the 600 you will be less than pleased and will be stuck with a TV you are not happy with.

Last time I checked WOOT does not take returns based on your happiness, especially when there are various sources telling you not to buy the 600.

jjinthelight


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjinthelight

Is the Hisense 50k360 active or passive 3D? Does anyone have a link to any reviews for Hisense? I'm having trouble tracking this model down.

kendallk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kendallk
SkwerlKC wrote:Does the Sharp come with 3D glasses? I'm trying to determine which active shutter glasses will be compatible. Looks like everything labeled as compatible specifically with Sharp Aquos are $50-60 each.



i'm trying to find out the exact same answer. i asked woot support yesterday and still haven't heard back.

killerjay47


quality posts: 0 Private Messages killerjay47

Some reviews:
Sharp LC-70C8470U:
Slightly different TV: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sharp-lcd-tv/sharp-lc70le847u.html
The differences: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1402194/lc-70le847u-vs-lc-70c8470u
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11755276/sharp-sharp-aquos-quattron-70-class-3d-1080p-240hz-aquomotion-480-led-smart-3d-tv-reviews/reviews.htm

Sharp 640U series (reviews mostly 60" but also includes 70"):
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-lc-70le640u/4505-6482_7-35123265.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403551,00.asp
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-70LE640U-70-Inch-LED-Lit-Internet/product-reviews/B0076LY2BY/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Vizio M650VSE:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M650VSE-65-inch-1080p-120Hz/product-reviews/B0096YOQRO/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437810/official-vizio-m650vse-owners-thread

Vizio M3D550SL:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M3D550SL-55-inch-1080P-120Hz/product-reviews/B0088024O4/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

LG 55LV4400:
All I could find of use was this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1369629/why-no-lg-55lv4400-information

Vizio E500i-A1:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e500i-a1/4505-6482_7-35546028.html
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439861/vizio-e500i-a1

Price comparison:
Sharp 60C8470 (same model?):
Costco retails new for $1399.99: http://www.costco.com/Sharp-AQUOS-Quattron-60%22-Class-1080p-240Hz-LED-Smart-3D-HDTV-.product.11755267.html

Vizio M650VSE:
Costco retails new for $1289.99 + $100 shipping: http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-65%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-HDTV-M650VSE.product.100008009.html

Vizio M3D550SL:
Amazon 3rd-party sells for $829.99 + $30 shipping: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M3D550SL-55-inch-1080P-120Hz/dp/B0088024O4
Better TV: M3D550KDE for $799.99 at Costco on sale http://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-Class-(54.64%22-Diag.)-LED-Smart-TV-with-Theater-3D%C2%AE.product.100019524.html

Vizio M550SL:
Costco retails new for $799.99: http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-Edge-Lit-LCD-HDTV-M550SL.product.11761162.html

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

killerjay47 wrote:Some reviews:
Sharp LC-70C8470U:
Slightly different TV: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sharp-lcd-tv/sharp-lc70le847u.html
The differences: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1402194/lc-70le847u-vs-lc-70c8470u
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11755276/sharp-sharp-aquos-quattron-70-class-3d-1080p-240hz-aquomotion-480-led-smart-3d-tv-reviews/reviews.htm

Sharp 640U series (reviews mostly 60" but also includes 70"):
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-lc-70le640u/4505-6482_7-35123265.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403551,00.asp
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-70LE640U-70-Inch-LED-Lit-Internet/product-reviews/B0076LY2BY/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Vizio M650VSE:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M650VSE-65-inch-1080p-120Hz/product-reviews/B0096YOQRO/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437810/official-vizio-m650vse-owners-thread

Vizio M3D550SL:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M3D550SL-55-inch-1080P-120Hz/product-reviews/B0088024O4/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

LG 55LV4400:
All I could find of use was this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1369629/why-no-lg-55lv4400-information

Vizio E500i-A1:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e500i-a1/4505-6482_7-35546028.html
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439861/vizio-e500i-a1

Price comparison:
Sharp 60C8470 (same model?):
Costco retails new for $1399.99: http://www.costco.com/Sharp-AQUOS-Quattron-60%22-Class-1080p-240Hz-LED-Smart-3D-HDTV-.product.11755267.html

Vizio M650VSE:
Costco retails new for $1289.99 + $100 shipping: http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-65%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-HDTV-M650VSE.product.100008009.html

Vizio M3D550SL:
Amazon 3rd-party sells for $829.99 + $30 shipping: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M3D550SL-55-inch-1080P-120Hz/dp/B0088024O4
Better TV: M3D550KDE for $799.99 at Costco on sale http://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-Class-(54.64%22-Diag.)-LED-Smart-TV-with-Theater-3D%C2%AE.product.100019524.html

Vizio M550SL:
Costco retails new for $799.99: http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-Edge-Lit-LCD-HDTV-M550SL.product.11761162.html



Wow, thanks for doing all this footwork!

As you noted in some of the links above, not all of the models are the same as what's being offered, so I'm just gonna encourage folks to be sure you're comparing apples to apples & all that good stuff.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

SkwerlKC wrote:Does the Sharp come with 3D glasses? I'm trying to determine which active shutter glasses will be compatible. Looks like everything labeled as compatible specifically with Sharp Aquos are $50-60 each.
kendallk wrote:i'm trying to find out the exact same answer. i asked woot support yesterday and still haven't heard back.



It does not come with 3D glasses. Only the Vizio does.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Deeneaus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deeneaus
waddledoodle wrote:Has anyone bought one of the Hisense TVs? They look very good for the price, but I can't find many reviews of them.



I grabbed a 42in. refurb Hisense TV off of Woot a while back. I've been very satisfied with it. Twas only 60HZ, though, thus it wasn't the best in regards to live action sports. Slight glitches. I knew that, though! I'll be placing the 42in. in my bedroom and am looking to nab a 60in. for my living room.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jjinthelight wrote:Is the Hisense 50k360 active or passive 3D? Does anyone have a link to any reviews for Hisense? I'm having trouble tracking this model down.



It's Active. Good question.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Batman4oz


quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

Oh so close! I already have a 70" Sony, though 6 years old, and Really want a newer, better one...but if I'm going to spend the money, it should be an inch or two bigger, at least! (The 84" would be ideal!!!)

Maybe next time?!

^^X^^


Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

skullopener


quality posts: 2 Private Messages skullopener

Just bought the 70-inch LED.....After reading all the reviews and comparing prices, I couldn't find one reason not to get it!!!! This is indeed a great deal WOOT WOOT!!!!

Leto


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Leto

70 inch Sharp Aquos 640, or 65 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma ST60/50?

Don't care about 3D. Really desire the contrast / black levels of plasma... But 70" Aquos for that price is tempting!

lorenzodemedici


quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici


50"+ TVs: Pre-Senior Screens


You watched "The Six Million Dollar Man" live on a tiny B&W portable. You remember seeing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" on a UHF station. You used tin foil on an antenna. You've earned that giant TV in a way no 19 year old has. Treat yourself.


I thought your little blurbs were supposed to be amusing, not insulting. I think someone's age is pretty irrelevant to the TV they buy, but you do learn a few things as you get older. One is not to buy overpriced junk, and the other is to not do business with people who disrespect you.

unafiji


quality posts: 0 Private Messages unafiji
lorenzodemedici wrote:50"+ TVs: Pre-Senior

I think grandpa missed nap time...

You watched "The Six Million Dollar Man" live on a tiny B&W portable. You remember seeing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" on a UHF station. You used tin foil on an antenna. You've earned that giant TV in a way no 19 year old has. Treat yourself.


I thought your little blurbs were supposed to be amusing, not insulting. I think someone's age is pretty irrelevant to the TV they buy, but you do learn a few things as you get older. One is not to buy overpriced junk, and the other is to not do business with people who disrespect you.



unafiji


quality posts: 0 Private Messages unafiji

Anyone know anything about the hi sense 50k360 model. I can't find any tv under that model number anywhere else. And hi sense USA and Canada do not have a 50 inch 3D tv listed in their k360 line up?

brickfrenzy


quality posts: 3 Private Messages brickfrenzy

Alright Woot you win. I waffled for 3 days on the 640, but finally decided, after a successful night at the casino, to make the plunge. Now I'll have a bigger TV than my brother. IN YO FACE sibling rivalry!

leoscat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages leoscat

I need to ask a Lollypop Guild question. DOes the 3d glasses you use at the movie theaters work with the 3d TV's in general?