12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

LaKASkill

quality posts: 16 Private Messages LaKASkill

Thats actually a really good price.

wooting4keeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting4keeps

Sorry if I missed this in the specs/features, but is this a model "With Special Offers" (ads) or without?

• First Woot: 08/21/2012
  • First Barge Of Carp: 04/24/2013
  • Second Box of Chips: Coming soon.
  • Total Woots as of 6/19/2013: 47
  • Dollars spent: $2000+

Cabs21

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cabs21

Looks like the first generation of the Kindle Fire. Good price. Got one last year refirbed on sale at $130. IN 2 weeks I rooted and installed ICS on the Fire and turned it into a regular tablet. Did the same with my father's Fire. This will void the warranty but gives you a fully functional Android tablet with some powerful guts at a cheap price. Try to find an android tablet with ICS and descent hardware for $100, it is not easy.

o||||||||o

sdkammer

quality posts: 29 Private Messages sdkammer

sflesch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sflesch
sdkammer wrote:Same thing on Ice Monkey today but with no shipping...

http://www.icemonkey.com/amazon-kindle-fire-8gb-w-wi-fi-7-full-color-touch-screen-more

Are they reliable?

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

jahlers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jahlers
Cabs21 wrote:Looks like the first generation of the Kindle Fire. Good price. Got one last year refirbed on sale at $130. IN 2 weeks I rooted and installed ICS on the Fire and turned it into a regular tablet. Did the same with my father's Fire. This will void the warranty but gives you a fully functional Android tablet with some powerful guts at a cheap price. Try to find an android tablet with ICS and descent hardware for $100, it is not easy.

This is the Gen2. Notice the 1gb of memory.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083Q04IQ/ref=sa_menu_kdpo2

iwbyte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iwbyte
sdkammer wrote:Same thing on Ice Monkey today but with no shipping...

http://www.icemonkey.com/amazon-kindle-fire-8gb-w-wi-fi-7-full-color-touch-screen-more

Oh man, when woot (owned by amazon) gets beat by some other site on KINDLE pricing?! Methinks they aren't trying hard enough...

ghost1355

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghost1355

I still don't understand why people buy these over a nexus 7. Seems like a bad decision when nexus is more capable out of the box.

sflesch

ghost1355 wrote:I still don't understand why people buy these over a nexus 7. Seems like a bad decision when nexus is more capable out of the box.

For 1/2 the price, for those of us who can root it's a great deal, isn't it?

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

Dadoboy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Dadoboy
iwbyte wrote:Oh man, when woot (owned by amazon) gets beat by some other site on KINDLE pricing?! Methinks they aren't trying AT ALL...

fixed that for you

nitwhits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nitwhits
sflesch wrote:Are they reliable?

They're solid

sflesch

Dadoboy wrote:fixed that for you

How so?

sflesch

nitwhits wrote:They're solid

I meant the company - Ice Monkey!

jlhatter

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jlhatter
wooting4keeps wrote:Sorry if I missed this in the specs/features, but is this a model "With Special Offers" (ads) or without?

I had the same question so went over to Amazon where they sell the refurbs as well and found this:

Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
You'll receive special offers and sponsored screensavers directly on your Kindle Fire. Examples of special offers and sponsored screensavers include:
Movie posters, music covers, and book covers for upcoming titles
Deals on digital content, for example: 1 of 10 top-rated Kindle books for $1, or $5 to spend in the Amazon MP3 Store
Deals on consumer electronics, for example: save up to $500 on select HDTVs
Your offers display on the lock screen and in small text on the lower left hand corner of the home screen—they don't interrupt use of the device. If you would like to opt out of these special offers, you can do so through Manage Your Kindle for $15 after you have registered your device.

nitwhits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nitwhits
sflesch wrote:For 1/2 the price, for those of us who can root it's a great deal, isn't it?

I'm running Jelly Bean. Awesome price for a full blown tablet if you can root, like you said

goldnectar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldnectar

If you root this sucker, can you turn it into an old school gaming emulator and if so, up to what gen system? In other words, what can it handle in gaming?

sflesch

nitwhits wrote:I'm running Jelly Bean. Awesome price for a full blown tablet if you can root, like you said

I prefer the Nook as you don't need to mess with the onboard OS, but for $99, it's so tempting.

Part of me hopes time runs out before I decide to buy it.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Best Buy selling these used for $79

ghost1355

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghost1355
sflesch wrote:For 1/2 the price, for those of us who can root it's a great deal, isn't it?

I have seen nexus refurbs for 179.00 at tiger direct and newegg. And rooting and applying Roms is has never impressed me with performance or stability. Having it straight from the factory as stock jellybean is a definite reason to pay 80.00 more.

Dadoboy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Dadoboy
sflesch wrote:How so?

He had implied that Woot was at least trying... I corrected it so that they are not even trying to be a better deal.

sflesch

ghost1355 wrote:I have seen nexus refurbs for 179.00 at tiger direct and newegg. And rooting and applying Roms is has never impressed me with performance or stability. Having it straight from the factory as stock jellybean is a definite reason to pay 80.00 more.

That depends on your budget and technical ability. I would love to get a 7" tablet with a camera and JB or ICS, but I can't swing $200. I also don't want to spend that much on a shared device that my kids will drop constantly and possibly break. I can't afford a device for them right now.

IGetUp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IGetUp
dliidlii wrote:Best Buy selling these used for $79

I don't see that on their site at all.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy
iwbyte wrote:Oh man, when woot (owned by amazon) gets beat by some other site on KINDLE pricing?! Methinks they aren't trying hard enough...

Not to mention the tax thing... Ice Monkey is seriously owning Woot.

Woot simply isn't woot anymore. So sad.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

When a store sells a product that says it is “Refurbished” I always worry that the 11 year old kid down the street refurbished it. If it does not say “Factory Refurbished” or at least list who refurbished it, I move on.

sflesch

Dadoboy wrote:He had implied that Woot was at least trying... I corrected it so that they are not even trying to be a better deal.

DOH! Thanks. All nervous about trying to get a B.O.C. and trying to decide if I want to get the Kindle or not, so my brain isn't thinking.

And on that note, does anyone know if you can get a SquareTrade on this? They used to appear on the pages when available sometimes didn't they?

goldnectar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldnectar
ghost1355 wrote:I have seen nexus refurbs for 179.00 at tiger direct and newegg. And rooting and applying Roms is has never impressed me with performance or stability. Having it straight from the factory as stock jellybean is a definite reason to pay 80.00 more.

Meh. The problem is, I wasn't even thinking about gettting a tablet at all...then this deal...seems cheap enough, but still on the ropes. I don't like the lack of expandable memory and am still curious how well it will handle what generation emulators and roms.

Cabs21

jahlers wrote:This is the Gen2. Notice the 1gb of memory.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083Q04IQ/ref=sa_menu_kdpo2

I dont see in the WOOT specs it claiming a 1GB Memory or the upclocked 1.2Ghz processor. From what the specs say and the price listed I would still assume this is the first gen Fire.

o||||||||o

benjalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjalo
ghost1355 wrote:I still don't understand why people buy these over a nexus 7. Seems like a bad decision when nexus is more capable out of the box.

For me, the reason is parental controls. Kindle's are excellent.

jahlers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jahlers
Cabs21 wrote:I dont see in the WOOT specs it claiming a 1GB Memory or the upclocked 1.2Ghz processor. From what the specs say and the price listed I would still assume this is the first gen Fire.

From the features tab:

Powerful Processor
Move seamlessly across apps and open titles quickly at a touch. With a 1.2GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, Kindle Fire is 40% faster and more fluid than before.

sflesch

goldnectar wrote:Meh. The problem is, I wasn't even thinking about gettting a tablet at all...then this deal...seems cheap enough, but still on the ropes. I don't like the lack of expandable memory and am still curious how well it will handle what generation emulators and roms.

Thanks for that. I didn't know they had no SDCard. So I thought, ok, maybe for the kids? Then I saw no Google Play, so, thanks for the fun. I'll pass.

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages BuffBillsFan
IGetUp wrote:I don't see that on their site at all.

Best Buy did have a great deal on the 1st gen Kindle Fire earlier this month - $70. However, it was the 1st gen, and now is a moot point as they sold out within a day or so.

FWIW - Amazon has this for $35 more ($30 more if you include shipping, which we do now since we no longer have $5 all-day shipping). This $99, well, $105 price seems like a good one.

dliidlii

IGetUp wrote:I don't see that on their site at all.

LOOK HERE.
http://www.cowboom.com/product/1082732

dliidlii

BuffBillsFan wrote:Best Buy did have a great deal on the 1st gen Kindle Fire earlier this month - $70. However, it was the 1st gen, and now is a moot point as they sold out within a day or so.

they still have plenty of used ones available for $79 with free shipping.Free 30 day return policy.

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

Very tempting, but I'm going to pass. Even though I probably won't use it, I'd like to have an expandable memory option. Plus the layout looks very boring. At least the Google format has some personality to it.

Does Amazon's app store have any exclusives over Google Play?

MinnGreenGT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MinnGreenGT

I *almost* stopped at MicroCenter yesterday afternoon to pick up a $180 refurb Nexus7. Glad I didn't... for about half the price, this will certainly cover my needs.

If not, I'll root it. If that still doesn't cut it... I'll give it to my wife (who cracked the screen on her own Kindle... twice) and go back for a Nexus!

Cabs21

jahlers wrote:

Ahh, I always skip that tab when it comes to tech and read the Specs tab, since it typically has better detail, less marketing speak, and lists all the important info.

Even so Root this and put JB on it. Good deal for a decent 7in Android Tablet.

o||||||||o

fgarriel

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fgarriel

If this is a Gen1 Kindle (and the home screen picture makes me think it is), it will *not* support Kindle FreeTime. I learned this $160 lesson.

aderyn

quality posts: 10 Private Messages aderyn
sflesch wrote:
And on that note, does anyone know if you can get a SquareTrade on this? They used to appear on the pages when available sometimes didn't they?

I recently got a Fire HD refurb and Square Trade put a warranty on it without hesitation, so I'd suspect you could.

Raydr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raydr

This is the hardest decision I've made this week. In for one.