WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Cuisinart Small Electrics

If you could carry a tiny thunderstorm in your pocket, would you? Of course you would, that would be AMAZING. And we're sorry we aren't offering that today. But this little appliances are almost as good.
Cuisinart official site

zfeldman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zfeldman

Prices aren't great. Abe's of Maine has the mini cuisinart food processor for $2 more that includes 18-month warranty instead of 90 days.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Does anyone have a Blend and Cook Soupmaker? Has it really improved your life?

marbx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marbx

Does anyone here use one of those hand blenders? I've always preferred my (apparently) old-fashioned stand-up blender, but I'm curious if those make a difference in ease of use, or ease of cleanup, or something.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17

I've got the griddler.I really like it.Makes great paninnis,and I've also used the grill plates for home made english muffins.Seems to have pretty even heating,the non stick is still perfect.Indicator light for temp.More useful than a George Foreman grill.Best price I've seen,too(well,for a non-refurb anyway)

jessicadennis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jessicadennis
marbx wrote:Does anyone here use one of those hand blenders? I've always preferred my (apparently) old-fashioned stand-up blender, but I'm curious if those make a difference in ease of use, or ease of cleanup, or something.

Hand blenders are great, particularly for soups. You can blend them right in the pot, with no pouring of hot substances. And you pop the end off and stick it in the dishwasher. Awesome.

jessicadennis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jessicadennis

We have one of the "Single server brewing systems" *coughcoughkeurig* in our office and that thing is a champ. It's quiet and, evidently, durable, as it's been going strong with a bunch of coffee fiends for at least a couple years. Heats up fast. Has a rinse button, which is really nice, and hot water of course.

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

I have a hand blender/stick blender that is fairly un-fancy but it is very handy for some tasks. It is especially good for blending/pureeing in the pot, as for soups, or in a bowl. I have a regular blender, as well, but this provides a lot of utility and doesn't take up much room.

If you want to use it in a bowl, I recommend draping a towel over the bowl and around the blender so stuff does not fly around....

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf
jessicadennis wrote:Hand blenders are great, particularly for soups. You can blend them right in the pot, with no pouring of hot substances. And you pop the end off and stick it in the dishwasher. Awesome.

Mine is not dishwasherable. My next one will be. : )

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
zfeldman wrote:Prices aren't great. Abe's of Maine has the mini cuisinart food processor for $2 more that includes 18-month warranty instead of 90 days.

1saleaday had 'em a couple of days ago for a buck more in, like, nine different colors (I kid you not)...with free shipping...

ebam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ebam
marbx wrote:Does anyone here use one of those hand blenders? I've always preferred my (apparently) old-fashioned stand-up blender, but I'm curious if those make a difference in ease of use, or ease of cleanup, or something.

hand blenders are awesome. I impulse bought the Cuisinart wand a couple of years back and haven't looked back. clean up is easy, it's super useful, and a generally great tool. I use the wand for soups regularly, and the food processing side is great for a coarse-chop pesto. CAN NOT RECOMMEND ENOUGH.

Personally speaking though, I can't see any reason to buy the $35 refurb here when the model I got is new at costco for $29.99. they appear to have different model numbers; maybe someone with experience can make the argument.?

http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart-Smart-Stick%C2%AE-Two-Speed-Hand-Blender.product.11761902.html

ebam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ebam

i should also add that a wand blender is NOT replacement for your standup blender- it's for different tasks, such as very small quantities that your stand up may have a hard time blending uniformly, or very large quantities that would require multiple filling/emptying of the stand up blender. the pot of soup is probably one of the most common. In the winter time i pretty commonly make a LARGE pot of butternut squash soup. If I were to ladle it into the blender, i'd be taking it off heat, and filling the blender and generally going back and forth. with the wand, you can keep your soup on heat and blend directly for a uniform result. wand/stick blenders are better for most things that need temperature control while mixing/blending- you can keep in heat or in an ice bath as needed in a way that a stand up doesn't allow.

Clean up is easy. i'll run it for a few seconds in soap water and rinse or stick it in the dishwasher.

also, no pesky rubber washer to chase around the kitchen.

czechgrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages czechgrl

I was given exactly this stick blender as a gift, so I cant say anything about the price. However, I love mine, and it is powerfull enough that I can shred carrots with it for several minutes without it whining of getting hot. It crushes ice like a boss. I use it primarily for whipping cream, smoothies (never going back to a blender) crepe batter and blending hot soups/jams/fruit butters right on the stove.

The attachment i use most is.....not an attatchment, but the tall blending cup, which is perfectly designed to keep spills and spatter to practically nothing.

The whisk works fine. The little mini processor is more trouble than just getting out my knife. I have used it for nut butters and hummus, but it never quite gets them smooth, and slightly grainy hummus is an abomination im mine eyes.

clintschaefer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clintschaefer

Have to agree regarding the prices not being that great. The Cuisinart griddle is $44.99 at bensoutlet right now. Also a refurb with 90 day warranty. I'm not sure what their shipping cost is, but after entering billing address, it is still showing as free shipping. Was just telling my wife how much Iwould like a panini press too.

wd6cmu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wd6cmu

DCG-12BC grinder gets only two stars in Amazon customer reviews.

CarynG

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CarynG

The Griddler is fantastic!!! I have one, and my daughter has one. We just leave the Griddler on the counter because we use it so much. This is a great price and I am buying another one for my son. I also suggest you get online and buy the Griddler Waffle Plates...you can quickly change out the plates.

joenajera

quality posts: 3 Private Messages joenajera
ebam wrote:Personally speaking though, I can't see any reason to buy the $35 refurb here when the model I got is new at costco for $29.99. they appear to have different model numbers; maybe someone with experience can make the argument.?

http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart-Smart-Stick%C2%AE-Two-Speed-Hand-Blender.product.11761902.html

Looks exactly the same as the Costco version. Also regularly goes on sale at Costco for $19.99.

j

amccann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amccann

Let me put in a good word for the Cuisinart 7 qt. mixer: if you cook a lot, 7 qt. is a nice size. You can do 3 loaves of bread or a big batch of real buttercream (not the confectioner's sugar crap that Wilton pushes) And, since you have to beat buttercream for ~25 min., the timer is a godsend. I've only had mine for a year, but I love it, and despise the shoddy Kitchen Aids! On the other hand, I got mine for ~$300 new at Sears

rexdownham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rexdownham
cf wrote:Mine is not dishwasherable. My next one will be. : )

I'm just excited to hear the word dishwasherable. That's all I got.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Are you talking about the thing with the whisk, chopper and blade/bowl thing? I have one (the SAME unit) under a totally different name and it does an OK job for small items. The bottoms come off, so the electric part seldom has to be wiped off and the rest can be washed.

I think this was originally an "as seen on TV" that the Cusies slapped their names on, but it does work.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
dave17 wrote:I've got the griddler.I really like it.Makes great paninnis,and I've also used the grill plates for home made english muffins.Seems to have pretty even heating,the non stick is still perfect.Indicator light for temp.More useful than a George Foreman grill.Best price I've seen,too(well,for a non-refurb anyway)

How long have you had it? My coatings began flaking off after six months.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
dave17 wrote:I've got the griddler.I really like it.Makes great paninnis,and I've also used the grill plates for home made english muffins.Seems to have pretty even heating,the non stick is still perfect.Indicator light for temp.More useful than a George Foreman grill.Best price I've seen,too(well,for a non-refurb anyway)

Just adding more love for the griddler. I cook steaks on it. It makes pretty ideal seared steaks, medium rare to medium in about 3 to 4 minutes...

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Just adding more love for the griddler. I cook steaks on it. It makes pretty ideal seared steaks, medium rare to medium in about 3 to 4 minutes...

lhbhatten

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lhbhatten

What? No juicer? I really need a juicer. *sigh*

lovejunkie00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lovejunkie00
lhbhatten wrote:What? No juicer? I really need a juicer. *sigh*

No one *needs* a juicer.

Otherwise, I own the Griddler. It rocks. This is a great price, if you're comfortable with refurbs

turtlegir1

quality posts: 34 Private Messages turtlegir1

Love my hand blender, especially for soups or other items you don't want multiple bowls for! They aren't a complete replacement, as others have said, but for many things they do a great job. Also good for making milkshakes, smoothies, mixing powdered drinks....

I also have to give props to the single-serve machine. I got mine as a package deal at Costco, so it was more expensive. But that machine rocks! Great options, very nicely constructed, and looks sharp as well.

missyscove

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missyscove

I too love my griddler. I got one my junior year of college and have still have it 3 years later. I regularly used it to cook dinner for all 6 girls that lived in my house (pancakes, french toast, hamburgers, steaks, etc). The top plate is a little loose now but overall it's held up well.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

I think those mini preps are the same price at Costco for a new one.

mcbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcbs

Hi. I have the Stick Blender with all the accessories and it has given me superpowers. I really use it a lot and it works very well. Versatile and actually easy to switch from one function to the other.
Now, about the price listed here, I can't really recommend it. $34 and refurbished -- hmmm. And yucky, no?
I bought mine at Costco for less. I can remember how much less.

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii
cf wrote:I have a hand blender/stick blender that is fairly un-fancy but it is very handy for some tasks. It is especially good for blending/pureeing in the pot, as for soups, or in a bowl. I have a regular blender, as well, but this provides a lot of utility and doesn't take up much room.

If you want to use it in a bowl, I recommend draping a towel over the bowl and around the blender so stuff does not fly around....

Genius! I just got an immersion blender (elsewhere) and used it for the first time last night. The towel would've been good given the learning curve (it's very easy to splash yourself with scalding hot soup if you don't have a good handle on where the splashguard's holes are).

brentphx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brentphx

Am I possibly in the minority of people that DON'T want refurb food prep items... this line really scares me "All refurbished Coffee and Espresso Machines are fully tested and you may see some coffee grounds in your unit upon opening."

Ummmmm, no? Eww?!? Shouldn't part of the refurb process include cleaning and sterilizing it??

medscript

quality posts: 4 Private Messages medscript
jessicadennis wrote:We have one of the "Single server brewing systems" *coughcoughkeurig* in our office and that thing is a champ. It's quiet and, evidently, durable, as it's been going strong with a bunch of coffee fiends for at least a couple years. Heats up fast. Has a rinse button, which is really nice, and hot water of course.

I have used both the Keurig and the Cuisinart and I have to say that the Cuisinart is the better value of the two. I find it to be much more quiet and also the warranty is longer as well.

lifevirusx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lifevirusx
brentphx wrote:Shouldn't part of the refurb process include cleaning and sterilizing it??

They clean/sterilize it, then test it afterwards
I'm sure their test coffee is plenty clean, and why would you not clean a new cooking utensil before you use it anyway?

tdemick

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdemick
mcbs wrote:Hi. I have the Stick Blender with all the accessories and it has given me superpowers. I really use it a lot and it works very well. Versatile and actually easy to switch from one function to the other.
Now, about the price listed here, I can't really recommend it. $34 and refurbished -- hmmm. And yucky, no?
I bought mine at Costco for less. I can remember how much less.

That's exactly how I feel about mine! Superpowers!! The thing is amazing! Bought it for making baby food and use it for EVERYTHING now!

turtlegir1

quality posts: 34 Private Messages turtlegir1
wd6cmu wrote:DCG-12BC grinder gets only two stars in Amazon customer reviews.

Hmm....I have it, have had it for several years, and like it a lot. I got mine as an open-box/returned item from Bed Bath and Beyond, so it was very similar to a refurb.

ChronoMATT

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ChronoMATT

I highly recommend you take a pass on the Keurig Single Coffee Maker via internet order. They are notorious for being DOA and if you are unlucky enough to receive one, it costs a bundle to ship it to the factory due to weight. When all is said and done, for another $25 bucks you could have bought a new one on sale.

If you insist on a refurb unit, they have shown up at discount stores such as Big Lots at the same price where you can do a direct return if you get a dud.

kschoenberg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kschoenberg

The stick blender/processor is great, but you can buy it new from Costco (with all the same attachments) for $29 last time I looked.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4

Avoid the grind and brew coffee maker like its the plague. I went through three of them. Never had one last more than two years. It also has a poor design in that when it brews, steam gets up into the grinding cup and turns the residual coffee grounds into mud making it necessary to give it a thorough cleaning between each use.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

carolgrant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carolgrant

Considering the coffee maker? Consider that you can get it new (not refurbished) for $10 more from Costco. Yea, shipping is $10 if you have it shipped, but still... http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart-Brew-Central%C2%AE-14-Cup-Programmable-Coffeemaker.product.11761931.html

plesso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plesso
clintschaefer wrote: Was just telling my wife how much Iwould like a panini press too.

If you get a Griddler, you don't need a panini press - the Griddler does that. I bought mine new about a month ago and I ADORE it. Am waiting for the waffle plates to come back in stock so I can use it as a waffle maker too.