WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Guy Fieri Cutlery

Guy Fieri has traveled around the country. Making food, eating food, possibly getting in fights with food… hey, those New England lobsters are tough. So we assume he's a guy who need a good set of knives at his side. If you're a Guy guy or a Guy gal, you'll need a Guy knife at your side.
Guy Fieri official site

sunbc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sunbc

I have bought a good amount of things from Woot. And, I don't post here much. That being said, this is the most hilarious junk I have ever seen Woot sell. Good for you Woot, unload that Amazon $h*t. Fieri is a joke in the culinary community, so, yeah this is probably not going to sell at all.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sunbc wrote:I have bought a good amount of things from Woot. And, I don't post here much. That being said, this is the most hilarious junk I have ever seen Woot sell. Good for you Woot, unload that Amazon $h*t. Fieri is a joke in the culinary community, so, yeah this is probably not going to sell at all.

We have our own team of buyers that buy this "hilarious junk". We are not an Amazon Outlet. They have their own outlet.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sunbc

ThunderThighs wrote:We have our own team of buyers that buy this "hilarious junk". We are not an Amazon Outlet. They have their own outlet.

That is good to know. But it does not change the fact that you guys are not taking the Woot community seriously if you are pushing Fieri's junk. I have been a member for longer than you have probably been here, and I have not seen this type of hilarious stuff in what seems to be a long time. You should question your buyers about this, b/c as an avid cook, this is really funny...I actually thought Woot was pulling an April fools on us, but it is not April 1.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sunbc wrote:That is good to know. But it does not change the fact that you guys are not taking the Woot community seriously if you are pushing Fieri's junk. I have been a member for longer than you have probably been here, and I have not seen this type of hilarious stuff in what seems to be a long time. You should question your buyers about this, b/c as an avid cook, this is really funny...I actually thought Woot was pulling an April fools on us, but it is not April 1.

Check the reviews. You may just be surprised.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sunbc

ThunderThighs wrote:Check the reviews. You may just be surprised.

Sorry, anything associated with Fieri is still a joke in the culinary community. I am not snob that says "Shun only", but I can tell you, if this was in my or any of my friends/family's kitchen, there would be ample jokes to be made at each others' expense.

thumperchick

quality posts: 240 Private Messages thumperchick
sunbc wrote:Sorry, anything associated with Fieri is still a joke in the culinary community. I am not snob that says "Shun only", but I can tell you, if this was in my or any of my friends/family's kitchen, there would be ample jokes to be made at each others' expense.

I'm not a fan of this line either, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who are a fan. Anyway, this is NOT the crappiest thing woot has ever sold, by a long shot.

sunbc

thumperchick wrote:I'm not a fan of this line either, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who are a fan. Anyway, this is NOT the crappiest thing woot has ever sold, by a long shot.

Yeah, I agree, not the worst thing sold on Woot, (sony split screen tablet), but this is close to it. These knives look better in one of his restaurants.

http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com/

UncleFroG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UncleFroG

For what it's worth, I already own the 8" Chef and 5.5" Utility and they are both very nice knives for the money. They are full tang and have stayed sharp with very little maintenance. I didn't have to think twice about adding the 4" Paring to my set today. I just wish they were offering the 5.5" Santoku individually as well.

I would also argue that Ergo Chef is the official product page since they manufacture them. Hit up the web site for some price comparisons.

Bottom line: Love or hate Guy Fieri as you wish, but these knives are a good value for the price.

12 Bags of Crap and counting!

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
sunbc wrote:Sorry, anything associated with Fieri is still a joke in the culinary community. I am not snob that says "Shun only", but I can tell you, if this was in my or any of my friends/family's kitchen, there would be ample jokes to be made at each others' expense.

Wow...not sticking up for the hardware, but anyone using terms like "the culinary community" oughta be laughed out of any kitchen...

magiccarpetrides

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magiccarpetrides

I agree these knives are awesome and the culinary snob should try using one before they start talking about how bad they are. If your needing some good knives you won't find a better price. I don't normally comment but when someone is so obviously talking out of their a$$ and steering the woot community wrong I feel like I should speak up.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

The knives may be garish, and Guy Fieri himself an overexposed, culinarily challenged (check out the latest reviews of his Times Square restaurant) twit, but the only things that really matter on a good knife are the quality of the steel and the attachment to the handle - which, by some accounts, are just fine on these knives. Your mileage may vary.

mlmyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlmyer

Woot sez:
"Oh! A Guy Fieri!" contains all the possible vowels that exist.
Alas, you have forgotten the first letter in your company's name. Remember from elementary school: "sometimes Y, sometimes W."
I have no bone to pick with the "culinary community" about whether or not the knives are worth anything. Just not that big of a snob…

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

Lately I've been against some of the things Woot! has been up to but this is a good sale. I don't own them but I have used them at my sister-in-law's home fairly often. These knives have a good weight, are well balanced, and are made of quality steel. They aren't Shun but for this price (not the MSRP) they are a good buy.

xtreemsaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xtreemsaver
sunbc wrote:I have bought a good amount of things from Woot. And, I don't post here much. That being said, this is the most hilarious junk I have ever seen Woot sell. Good for you Woot, unload that Amazon $h*t. Fieri is a joke in the culinary community, so, yeah this is probably not going to sell at all.

My neighbor uses these knives for home cooking. She says they work great for the price and she happens to be a cook at a local restaurant. As for sunbc, dude relax, if knives get you this worked up I hate to talk politics to you.

dlhouse19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlhouse19

Bought the 8" cheft knife on a whim. Already own Wusthof Grand Prix knives. The GF knife is OK. My biggest gripe is the handle. It is made for people with hands the size of pre-schoolers. It is tiny. Also, the blade doesn't feel anywhere as substantitive as the Wusthof...granted it is a lot cheaper.

Dadoboy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Dadoboy
sunbc wrote:Yeah, I agree, not the worst thing sold on Woot, (sony split screen tablet), but this is close to it.

I think those PowerBands that show up every 2 weeks are the worst.

akabaloo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akabaloo

I could care less about Guy Fieri, but you make it seem like Guy Fieri himself sideswiped your car as he was pulling out of his brand new restaurant, and you just barely caught a glimpse of his blonde, blown-out hair, as he refused to stop, peeling out while he flipped you and your family off with both hands. Is that an accurate assessment?

anderdb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anderdb

Do not buy these. They are a joke.

I was given one the chef's knives last year. I put it up against my Shun chef's knife cutting up some fruits and vegetables. I went in with no ill will towards Guy or his knives. I expected the Shun to be better but had no reason to think the Fieri knife wouldn't be respectable. There are web sites trying to sell the Fieri chef's knives for like $80 which puts it in the territory of a Wusthoff chef's knife -- a very serious knife. Long story short, the Fieri knife is a joke. It is so bad that I pulled out an old rusty KitchenAid knife and the old rusty KitchenAid also made a joke out of the Fieri knife.

If you want a great knife without paying much, go to Amazon and buy a Victorinox chef's knife for $25 which gets universally great reviews from a wide variety of sources. There is no reason to consider buying one of these joke Fieri knives when such a superior knife exists for cheaper.

LaKASkill

quality posts: 17 Private Messages LaKASkill

Wish I would have caught these on this last Woot Off, when I had the cash. The whole reason I was watching the Woot Off was to catch these or a knife sharpener. Woot, Haters gonna hate and ummmm taters gonna tate. What? Anyway, just keep offering these knives so I may eventually get one.

spdmsw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spdmsw

I researched Ergo Chef the manufacturer of these knives and they get solid reviews from what i could see. I ordered the midnight chefs knife and the cleaver and am very happy with the quality. The Chef knife is solid and the ergo handle feels good when chopping. The cleaver is really nice, very heavy and feels good chopping through chicken wings. I also grabbed the steak knives now that i have proof that these are solid knives.
Just as good as my Henckles not as sharp as my Shun, At 35 bucks i wouldn't expect them to be.

LaKASkill

quality posts: 17 Private Messages LaKASkill
spdmsw wrote:I researched Ergo Chef the manufacturer of these knives and they get solid reviews from what i could see. I ordered the midnight chefs knife and the cleaver and am very happy with the quality. The Chef knife is solid and the ergo handle feels good when chopping. The cleaver is really nice, very heavy and feels good chopping through chicken wings. I also grabbed the steak knives now that i have proof that these are solid knives.
Just as good as my Henckles not as sharp as my Shun, At 35 bucks i wouldn't expect them to be.

Now thats a review, thanx for the info!!!!

njkatz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages njkatz
anderdb wrote:Do not buy these. They are a joke.

I was given one the chef's knives last year. I put it up against my Shun chef's knife cutting up some fruits and vegetables. I went in with no ill will towards Guy or his knives. I expected the Shun to be better but had no reason to think the Fieri knife wouldn't be respectable. There are web sites trying to sell the Fieri chef's knives for like $80 which puts it in the territory of a Wusthoff chef's knife -- a very serious knife. Long story short, the Fieri knife is a joke. It is so bad that I pulled out an old rusty KitchenAid knife and the old rusty KitchenAid also made a joke out of the Fieri knife.

If you want a great knife without paying much, go to Amazon and buy a Victorinox chef's knife for $25 which gets universally great reviews from a wide variety of sources. There is no reason to consider buying one of these joke Fieri knives when such a superior knife exists for cheaper.

I'll say up front have not used these. The may be great or junky. But I will second this recommendation of the Victorinox. It is inexpensive, light, sharp, holds an edge well and the handle is very comfortable. I bought it on the Cook's Illustrated recommendation and consider it a great bargain. Plus, if it gets run over by a truck, you're not out a lot of money.

Nick

spdmsw

LaKASkill wrote:Now thats a review, thanx for the info!!!!

Thanks!! i try to be honest and to the point...the cleaver is really nice, it's so heavy and thick bladed i could use it trimming shrubs in the yard. Haha

spdmsw

spdmsw wrote:Thanks!! i try to be honest and to the point...the cleaver is really nice, it's so heavy and thick bladed i could use it trimming shrubs in the yard. Haha

It could even double as a camping hatchet!! Lol

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
Dadoboy wrote:I think those PowerBands that show up every 2 weeks are the worst.

Yes, those are the worst and exactly what I was going to post. Good call. Seriously thinking about the clever, even though I never use one. I guess I just like the cool looks of the think. Also thinking about the 5.5" utility knife, also because I like the looks of it. Don't really need it, because I already own a Henkels 4 Star signature twin utility knife of about the same length, but it sure looks cool. I like the looks of the chef knifes, too, but I find my 8" Victorinox chef's too be a bit large for me and this is even larger, so I'm not too tempted. I like a 6.5 inch knife, personally, and mostly use a Wustoff classic chef's knife of that size.

sknights

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sknights
magiccarpetrides wrote:I agree these knives are awesome and the culinary snob should try using one before they start talking about how bad they are. If your needing some good knives you won't find a better price. I don't normally comment but when someone is so obviously talking out of their a$$ and steering the woot community wrong I feel like I should speak up.

By all means bring one into my professional kitchen I'll still be laughing ten years from now. However if you are a home cook its not a bad deal I have friends who own theses and I have tried them not bad. I know my friends don't properly maintain knives so I'd say they hold their edge well so if your a home cook looking for a bargain or a line/prep cook looking for beaters(you will be laughed at) go right ahead and buy these they aren't that bad.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

Never used these, but they have intriguing design and get good ratings.

Shun makes nice knives (Kai is the manufacturer of Shun), but they are like Viking Ranges- way overhyped.

Try a Tojiro DP for an awesome entry-level Japanese knife. Sharp ! You will be looking for things to dice up.

As Jacques Pepin says: The best knife is a SHARP knife. Get a Chosera 1000/6000 stone and find out what sharp really is !

evileine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evileine

I would rather buy knives from Satan. Or Hitler. Or somebody who is equally nefarious but more able to competently mince a pile of herbs.

Seriously; can anybody who is interested in producing anything worth eating buy anything with that name engraved on it? Is there a butter-yellow handled Jerusalem steel-bladed high quality chef's knife produced by Martha Stewart out there that would be more in line with what Sunset Magazine would advise?

'Cause seriously, the healthy, well thought out menus that I create for my children would suffer if I didn't have the most trendy steel to slice and dice it with,

sixfofalcon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sixfofalcon

Perfect for people who are fans of kitchen tools.

magiccarpetrides

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magiccarpetrides
sknights wrote:By all means bring one into my professional kitchen I'll still be laughing ten years from now. However if you are a home cook its not a bad deal I have friends who own theses and I have tried them not bad. I know my friends don't properly maintain knives so I'd say they hold their edge well so if your a home cook looking for a bargain or a line/prep cook looking for beaters(you will be laughed at) go right ahead and buy these they aren't that bad.

I never said anything about being a professional...I just said that for the cost these are great at home...I don't pretend to be anything but your garden variety home cook.

libertybelle

quality posts: 7 Private Messages libertybelle

to all the haters, I actually own a couple of these knives - and they are nice knives. Well balanced, good weight to them, nicely made and sturdy. They also hold their edge very well. I do a ton of cooking and I know a good quality knife from a not so good quality knife. No, these aren't quite as nice as my beloved Henckels, but they are really nice knives

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
sunbc wrote:That is good to know. But it does not change the fact that you guys are not taking the Woot community seriously if you are pushing Fieri's junk. I have been a member for longer than you have probably been here, and I have not seen this type of hilarious stuff in what seems to be a long time. You should question your buyers about this, b/c as an avid cook, this is really funny...I actually thought Woot was pulling an April fools on us, but it is not April 1.

I don't know what you've been looking at, then. Woot has been selling crap for as long as I've known about the site. This is far from the crappiest crap I've seen.

Heck, these are far from the crappiest kitchen knives they've sold.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
akabaloo wrote:I could care less about Guy Fieri, but you make it seem like Guy Fieri himself sideswiped your car as he was pulling out of his brand new restaurant, and you just barely caught a glimpse of his blonde, blown-out hair, as he refused to stop, peeling out while he flipped you and your family off with both hands. Is that an accurate assessment?

That sounds close. It must be something. This guy probably gets upset by Comic Sans, too.

I don't care for the guy, but no one has yet forced me to watch one of his shows.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the fact that someone paid him to use his name on these knives makes them poorer knives.

If the color scheme or having his name on the knives keeps someone from buying these then maybe he is buying knives for the wrong reason.

Several years ago I bought a Kyocera knife with a pink handle. I bought it because it was $20 cheaper (at the time) than the ones with the black handles, and the blade is the same. If someone should some day give me a hard time for having a pink knife them I would probably just roll my eyes at him or her. Or say "get the Ding Dong! out of my kitchen", depending on how busy I was.

lokklyn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn

Seriously, get over the branding.

These knives are nice for the price. I just bought a meat cleaver and 8" chef's knife from a sale a few days ago because I don't feel like babying a $100 knife, when I just need it to cut stuff at home.

They work as intended - in that they cut things, and they cut them well. Full tang, nice balance, holds an edge, bonus garlic crusher "feature" on the bottom of the handle. If you can deal with the design, I recommend the knives.
I'd like if people could get over their own smugness for long enough to realize what a good deal these are.

tcreighton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcreighton1

Please forgive the following random thoughts but I have to vent a little. Personally I find Guy mildly entertaining but I find many of the personalities on the Food Network laughable. He does own several restaurants and we can debate his talents/abilities. I changed careers several years ago and starting working in the food industry and recently opened a small restaurant. The industry requires VERY long hours for not a lot of money. I don't begrudge any "chef" who puts their name on any product. Are these knives Shun or Ken Onion or Bob Kramer or any other high end knife? I doubt it but the prices seem fairly reasonable. I have more knives than I need and doubt I would use these knives in the kitchen but they seem okay for the home chef.

ChillaKilles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChillaKilles
sixfofalcon wrote:Perfect for people who are fans of kitchen tools.

Seeing as how big a tool Guy Fieri is, I couldn't agree more.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17

I guess you missed those balance wrist bands.

nivek1385

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nivek1385
mlmyer wrote:Woot sez:
"Oh! A Guy Fieri!" contains all the possible vowels that exist.
Alas, you have forgotten the first letter in your company's name. Remember from elementary school: "sometimes Y, sometimes W."
I have no bone to pick with the "culinary community" about whether or not the knives are worth anything. Just not that big of a snob…

Technically, those are all letters that represent vowel sounds. While they did forget the instances when 'y' and 'w' can represent vowel sounds, they also forgot that not all vowel sounds can be represented by a single letter in English. There are also vowel sounds that just don't occur in English. Therefore, that sentence is far from correct, technically speaking.

kungfucorey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kungfucorey

I am not a professional in any way and, personally, I find Guy kinda over the top, but I bought a the 8" midnight chef knife a few months ago because I was looking for a decent chef knife under 50 bucks. I've found it to be very sharp and hold up to all kinds of abuse. I think, for $35 you can't go wrong with this.