WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

You Robot

The broom, the mop, the vacuum: now that we have robots to take their place, they'll all go the way of the washboard and the anvil and the shoegrinder. Oh, you don't remember shoegrinders? EXACTLY.

flashburn02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flashburn02

Bought mine woot that featured them. It is so far so good! Keeps things clean and I run it every other day or so.

You can even "hack" them to setup a scheduler: http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=9536

Mowar!

namorama

quality posts: 32 Private Messages namorama

Bought the 530 from Woot a long while back. Going strong. Had a minor issue with the battery, but an aftermarket battery is cheap and performs reasonably. Here's to another three years with it?

By the way, every time a Roomba goes on sale it looks more expensive than the sale before...

Decided my signature is obnoxious.
Have two lines instead.

marbaulo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages marbaulo

Lost my Roomba in the divorce - bought a Neato and WOW is it way better. Much more suction, moves around better, doesn't have parts that get clogged up. Will buy a second one for the second floor when I move.
No dog hair in the house though.

rickybobbysr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickybobbysr

In the description of the scooba it says - Works on sealed hardwood, tile and linoleum floors - which I assume means it can't be used on laminate floors.

Has anyone tried it laminate or know why it wouldn't work?

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt
rickybobbysr wrote:In the description of the scooba it says - Works on sealed hardwood, tile and linoleum floors - which I assume means it can't be used on laminate floors.

Has anyone tried it laminate or know why it wouldn't work?

I would assume that it does not dry the floor enough. With laminate there is enough room for water to sneak in the cracks and bubble up the "finish" since it is not all 1 piece like sealed hardwood or tile.

Sadly many "easy floor cleaning" products are no good for laminate

I ruined my signature with poor cut and paste skills

jeffredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeffredo

Still rockin' my El Cheapo Roomba I bought here in July '11. It was a $110 new (some basic model), but it works great on my short pile carpet with no pets.

jinow00f

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jinow00f

Does the Neato make the transition between rug and hardwood easily? Or will it see the rug as an obstacle, and avoid it?

nvonklock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nvonklock

I really can't believe how expensive these have gotten on woot. I bought mine when they were $139. At this price, look away...nothing to see here.

ewinslette3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ewinslette3
jinow00f wrote:Does the Neato make the transition between rug and hardwood easily? Or will it see the rug as an obstacle, and avoid it?

My house has hardwood, rugs, and carpet and it has never gotten stuck. It will not avoid the rug

Dud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud

I currently own three (3) disabled Roombas/Scooba bought from Woot. If the price is right and the unit is new then go for it. If the unit is refurbed then forget it ... the battery will not last long. I was amazed to find that the batteries supplied with my Roombas were actually not OEM but were (almost) depleted packs purchased off of eBay!

Avoid refurbed iRobots unless they are offered at giveaway prices!

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

I have a Neato XV-12 with the pet/allergy upgrade, and I love it! I have it set to clean while I'm gone and I just have to empty the bin when I get home. I only have very few complaints: my TV stand has a shelf that is one inch off the ground that Neato keeps trying to go up on the shelf and clean! Also, I have very long hair and a very hairy shedding dog, so make sure to check the roller and keep it clean (which is really easy to do). Finally, when the battery starts to die, Neato will start having a lot of trouble finding its way back its base. And if you buy more batteries from Neato's website, they are stupid expensive. However, Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond both carry the batteries at significantly better prices, or buy really cheap ones from ebay (that's aren't official Neato batteries but should theoretically still work fine).

But I really love it and it is, by far, one of the best purchases I have ever made, and the only regret I have about buying it is that I didn't buy it sooner! I highly recommend one!

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

NurseyC2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NurseyC2
jinow00f wrote:Does the Neato make the transition between rug and hardwood easily? Or will it see the rug as an obstacle, and avoid it?

Mine doesn't have any problem adjusting, I can see it adjust height when it goes from one to another.

stealthbid

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stealthbid

I have the Neato XV-21, purchased on Woot a few weeks ago. I freaking LOVE this thing. It goes from tile/wood to carpet with no problem, when it's supposed to - that is, it finishes one room first before making its way to the next room. I have a long-haired dog, and the amount of disgusting stuff it picks up is incredible.

When I first got the Neato, I ran my good old Hoover over the entire house until I got the green 'All Clean' light on it. Then I unleashed the Neato with only its original beater bar on it, not the special pet hair bar.

Ackkk, the amount of nasty it sucked out of the carpet on its deep clean was absolutely horrifying! If I spent 45 minutes vacuuming one room, perhaps my result would be the same. But I don't have the time to do that. And now, the Neato does it for me.

My splurge would be to buy a second one, so I could have one upstairs as well.

I believe the XV-21 has a little more oomph to it than the previous XV models.

Did I mention that I love mine? :-)

michalmurphy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michalmurphy

I bought a refurbed roomba 530 on homewoot a few weeks ago.

The first one was DOA -- after starting to charge correctly, it lost all power and became a paperweight. iRobot sent me another unit very quickly and instructed me to take the battery out of the dead roomba and use it on the new one. That didn't work either. I'm now waiting on a battery.

The good news (?) is that I might now have a second roomba for the price of a replacement battery, since they never wanted me to return the first one.

revamp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages revamp

I just wanted to pop in to say that after much research, I bought a neato pet/allergy via a groupon about 6 months ago. WOW! I have a blended first floor of medium pile carpet, laminate, and area rugs. The neato handles it all like a champ. No issue with transitions, no issues with animal fur (2 large dogs and 2 cats), and can climb over obstacles that perhaps are missed during my morning pick-up (dog bones, binders, etc). The neato comes with a scheduler so mine runs every day at 9a after everyone leaves the house. It doesn't bother the animals and it doesn't get clogged or stuck. I can't recommend it enough.

downing9790

quality posts: 1 Private Messages downing9790

I have the Neato XV 14 and it is the best. It is actually a vacuum, whereas the Roomba is a fan with dust bin.
I have had both and had major problems with the Roomba, and some with the Neato, but overall the Neato really outshines the Roomba.
Tech support is very good with the Neato and not so with the Roomba.
Look up and agree with the above.

SeanSL

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SeanSL

My house is all hardwood floors with a carpeted bedrooms and area rugs. The Neato has no problem. We liked the first one so much that we bought a second.

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

why doesn't woot ever sell the replacement batteries for all these roombas? I have a little roomba graveyard in my garage

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

ctheronj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ctheronj

I had a Roomba for about a year, several years ago, then it died and I bought a Miele canister vac. There was a TON of dirt in the carpets that had been piling up there. So gross.

Fast forward a few years, we now have a second Miele and decided to get a Neato when it was available on Woot -- the xv21 model. It really drives around like it knows what it is doing. Someone else mentioned that it is actually a vacuum, whereas the roomba is a glorified brush. I agree with this. The Neato is pretty loud though, definitely louder than our Miele, so we only have it running when we are not around. And it does a pretty decent job. The floors never look dirty after it has swept (hardwood with some low pile woven wool rugs) but if you really scrutinize the rugs, it does leave a bit of dirt left over that the Miele will not leave behind. We really like it.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
flashburn02 wrote:Bought mine woot that featured them. It is so far so good! Keeps things clean and I run it every other day or so.

You can even "hack" them to setup a scheduler: http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=9536

The Neato has this built in. I've had it for 18 months and it's still going strong. Got a scooba too. If it's anything like the iRobot, I'll stick to the Neato.

TC1 USCG Ret

cwhaines1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwhaines1

The word "vacuum" is inaccurate and misleading for the original Rhoomba. These little machines are quasi-intelligent sweepers. They do a fair job, but certain simple instances are beyond their ability. Also, the battery does not last long and must be replaced too often, in my opinion.

neurotony

quality posts: 3 Private Messages neurotony

I bought this Scooba model from Woot back in Sept 2010 and was really excited to get the latest iRobot product. I've been a customer of iRobot since 2003 and still have 3 Roombas running about. So was really disappointed when this product wouldn't work. The pump wouldn't push the water onto the floor. Customer care is very nice but they were never able to resolve the issue. iRobot sent me two exchanges, which I had to pay shipping for and which neither of them worked and had the same issue. They refused to allow me to upgrade to the newer 390 model until the warranty ran out.
So I had to wait until this year to get the 390 model. I received the 390 model yesterday and had exactly the same pump issues today. I called tech support and they assisted as much as they could (they are quite nice), but couldn't resolve the issue with this model either. So I am returning it.
As a 10 year customer, I expected a lot more from iRobot - at least a product that ran once or customer support to be able to upgrade when the item wasn't functioning. The Scooba requires a lot of manual jiggling to get it to work, priming, pumping and using the bulb - none of which worked. I had hoped iRobot had resolved the pump issue with this model, but it's exactly the same issue. If you get one that works, cherish it and consider yourself lucky. When it worked, the floor did look clean.
I find it hard to believe that 4 out of 4 Scooba's not working are only coincidence. It apparently has a serious point of failure that's common across models and machines. As a loyal fan, I find it hard to give up on iRobot. I may try again with the next model. Get to fixing that pump issue designers :P

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

I bought a refurb 570 2 years ago and it's still going strong.
I bought it a new brush canister after mine became completely seized up after a year or so, but once I had the new one, opened up the old one to find it was just full of crud and needed lubing.
I now have a spare and an upgraded 5 series roomba that is technically a 7 series (the canisters are interchangable).
The 7 series canister makes it incredibly quiet and it also now has sealed bearings so the pet hair issues of former models isn't as much of an issue.

Beware though, they ALL need cleaning. You really make them struggle otherwise.

And irobot products...They're very very repairable if you have a mind to.
I'll take them off your hands if you want the space back :D

Dud wrote:I currently own three (3) disabled Roombas/Scooba bought from Woot. If the price is right and the unit is new then go for it. If the unit is refurbed then forget it ... the battery will not last long. I was amazed to find that the batteries supplied with my Roombas were actually not OEM but were (almost) depleted packs purchased off of eBay!

Avoid refurbed iRobots unless they are offered at giveaway prices!

shahramkel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shahramkel
breaddrink wrote:I bought a refurb 570 2 years ago and it's still going strong.
I bought it a new brush canister after mine became completely seized up after a year or so, but once I had the new one, opened up the old one to find it was just full of crud and needed lubing.
I now have a spare and an upgraded 5 series roomba that is technically a 7 series (the canisters are interchangable).
The 7 series canister makes it incredibly quiet and it also now has sealed bearings so the pet hair issues of former models isn't as much of an issue.

Beware though, they ALL need cleaning. You really make them struggle otherwise.

And irobot products...They're very very repairable if you have a mind to.
I'll take them off your hands if you want the space back :D

I have a 530 I bought a few years ago. It still runs fine but I'd like for it to be quieter. When you say you replaced the canister with a 7xx series, are you referring to the dust bin? Any website in particular that you'd recommend as a source of parts? Thanks in advance for any help.

kazper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper

Bought the Neato XV-21 about a month ago here on Woot. We started out with a Roomba on our main floor and were so impressed that we decided to get another robotic vacuum. I took the chance and tried Neato. Pretty disappointed in the thing, to say the least. Here are a few reasons why:

Very picky if something is in its way. There's a message that says "clear my path". Seriously, I have to move things for it to operate? The roomba runs around things, the neato will simply stop and complain (beep).

Returning to the base can be complicated. After taking something out of the stuck brush, I told it to return to the base, which was maybe 2 feet away. Instead of doing it, it kept going back and forth in the room. After about 5 minutes, I picked it up and put it on the charger. Fail!

It seems like this gets stuck on items a lot more than the Roomba. We have it on a daily schedule and I'd say about once every three days we have to go looking for it.

There are some positives. It does a good job cleaning. Stops at the top of stairs. Easy to stop and start. I'd recommend spending the extra and buying a roomba.

EagleFalconn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EagleFalconn
namorama wrote:Had a minor issue with the battery, but an aftermarket battery is cheap and performs reasonably. Here's to another three years with it?

By the way, every time a Roomba goes on sale it looks more expensive than the sale before...

I've got this same model, bought it for $130 in 2009. I've bought an aftermarket battery for $30 and had to buy a new brush assembly for $60. Still going strong, otherwise though. Might try a Neato, I've heard good things.

Antennapedia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Antennapedia

Our XV-21 ("Bruce") has no trouble with the tile-to-high-pile carpet transition, AND there's a raised wooden trim piece between the two. We also have a medium-pile area rug in the tiled kitchen, and he just vacuums over it (leaving nice straight patterns). I will say: Small, light-weight throw rugs can get rolled up under him and if he can't get over it using his little tippy-toe boosting maneuver, he will get stuck.

Aside from that, though... the dang thing really works well. You have to set him up for success at first- we watched him the first 4 or 5 runs of the house to see where he got stuck and then either put the mag strips down or, in some cases, just move a table an inch or two in a direction. I'd say we come home and find him NOT returned to his base maybe... once every couple of weeks? And he runs every day. We do NOT have a dining table with chairs, though, and I've heard from others that the chair-leg forest can confound them.

sixfofalcon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sixfofalcon

How well do these robotic vacuums handle tall thresholds? The Professor Marvel who built our addition made the floor about an inch and a half higher than the original floor. The kitchen floor is also about 1" higher than the adjacent rooms. Are the robots going to be able to climb up/down these transitions?

cwsocha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwsocha

The XV-14 is at Costco for $250 with 6 filters, 6 blades and a replacement squegee. I always thought the 11, 12, 14, 21 and any neato is the same vacuum with different accessories but am looking for someone to tell my why I shouldn't buy the costco deal: HERE

slicey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slicey
cwsocha wrote:The XV-14 is at Costco for $250 with 6 filters, 6 blades and a replacement squegee. I always thought the 11, 12, 14, 21 and any neato is the same vacuum with different accessories but am looking for someone to tell my why I shouldn't buy the costco deal: HERE

It looks like you could buy the Costco deal & buy the pet & allergy upgrade kit if wanted. ($59 on neato website)

slicey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slicey
cwsocha wrote:The XV-14 is at Costco for $250 with 6 filters, 6 blades and a replacement squegee. I always thought the 11, 12, 14, 21 and any neato is the same vacuum with different accessories but am looking for someone to tell my why I shouldn't buy the costco deal: HERE

I'm torn between the woot deal and Costco deal.

Costco charges tax & I'm not a member so another charge.

Subtotal: $249.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Non-Member Surcharge: $12.50
Tax: $21.26
Order Total: $283.75

Makes it almost the same price as the 21 here, but of course you get the extra filters and Brushes.

Can anyone who has one share how often you change the filter, if at all?

scholarlyish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scholarlyish

I LOVE THE NEATO!

We have two St. Bernards and their constant shedding has caused much angst in our house since the hardwood floors were put in. However, since we purchased the Neato for pets, rarely do we see a hair tumbleweed go by.

We have it programmed to run every day. It does not get stuck in our dining room chairs or in corners. Every once in a while my kids will leave a sock on the floor which the Neato tries to remove and then gets stuck.

The suction is excellent though the unit is louder than the Roomba so it is better to have it run when you are not home. But leave the dogs... gives 'em something to keep 'em on their toes.

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

Actually, yes.

http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11358364&cp=3744764.11500505&s=A-ProductAge&parentPage=family

The noise you're hearing is the mechanism of the cogs and whirring of the brushes. I'd imagine it's also because it's a brand new one, but it's considerably quieter than my 5 series was.

Funnily they now actually mention that they fit the 5, 6 AND 7 series.
Before it always stated it was for 7 only which caused a slight uproar of irate customers accusing irobot of trying to hoodwink them out of upgrading their models, as they were known to fit.

I guess they had a change of heart and altered it.

shahramkel wrote:I have a 530 I bought a few years ago. It still runs fine but I'd like for it to be quieter. When you say you replaced the canister with a 7xx series, are you referring to the dust bin? Any website in particular that you'd recommend as a source of parts? Thanks in advance for any help.

The bin is also upgradable. Mine was a refurb and for some reason came with the upgraded aerobin.

http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3902001

I can't speak to how much better it is than the original, but it seems to work well enough. I'm told it holds more filth than the original