Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2756 Private Messages lichme

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3340 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of good reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

goldnectar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldnectar

i just bought this tv during the woot-off for exactly the same price. My purchase seems less special and a bit irresponsibly hasty, now that it is up again.

coolrunner87

quality posts: 11 Private Messages coolrunner87

This almost feels like Inception for me.

I own this TV, and am currently using it as my computer monitor.

It's really really good for what I wanted it for, plus I don't have to feel the intense heat off of it when I'm at the computer for too long.

In short- $298 is an absolute steal for this thing; if you're in the market for a budget 1080p TV, this is definitely one to look at.

psm321

quality posts: 20 Private Messages psm321

I see it still has the negative weight stand that it had in the woot-off. Probably worth the money for that scientific marvel alone.

sskarness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sskarness
psm321 wrote:I see it still has the negative weight stand that it had in the woot-off. Probably worth the money for that scientific marvel alone.

I agree with your comments on weight. Wondered if I should be sleeping instead of Wooting. You saved my sanity!

TrooperJW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TrooperJW

I've been using it as a PC monitor also. It seems to be overemphasizing green and a bit of blue when I look at a color spectrum. Same specturm looks great on the USB picture viewer for the TV. Not sure if there is something wrong with the HDMI or if this is how they are made.

Otherwise happy with the image quality.

Wootelicious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wootelicious
psm321 wrote:I see it still has the negative weight stand that it had in the woot-off. Probably worth the money for that scientific marvel alone.

Limit 1 per person?
But I need 50 so I can use the stands to fly!

cjsommer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjsommer

Does this come with a manufacturers warranty, or just the 90-day woot guarantee?

atlwxman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atlwxman

It is a Woot warranty, which means that you would have to ship it back to Woot at your expense for warranty work.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

It's $360 new at Costco, with free shipping, and Costco's customer service.

I've got a Vizio I bought @ Secondipity - three years in and it's splendid.

mrmambo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrmambo

We bought this TV for Xmas in Dec, 2012 and have been very happy with it. We chose this model, because of it's slim bezel--it was the only one below $800 that would fit into our existing TV stand/armoir. The 39" size is roughly equivalent to the picture height of a 32" SD (4:3) picture.

The image quality is excellent, although you'll really need to calibrate it. Here's a link to the settings I use based on the AVS Forum test files:
http://bit.ly/ZTLg32

Some caveats:

• I find the viewable angle a little narrow; the picture is amazing straight on and when viewed from our couch, but looks a little washed out when standing or sitting off to the side
  • You really need to turn-off all the automatic functions (noise reduction, ambient light sensor, backlight control, etc.) or you'll wind up with a very washed-out image--try the settings I've provided in the link above Oh joy! Rapture! I got a brain!
  • We had an issue with our first unit with a bright spot appearing in the middle of the screen (about 1-3" in diameter). It was mostly noticeable during dark scenes and appeared as a sort of glow. We contacted Amazon and they drop-shipped a replacement overnight and exchanged it; no problems since.

It really is a great set, especially for this price. We paid around $390 at Christmas, so $280 is a steal.

glorialinda12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glorialinda12

Please I want to buy this tv for my mum.My problem is she is in Ghana west Africa can it be used in Africa Ghana to be specific......Thank you

superbloom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superbloom

How are the speakers? Will I absolutely need to use the output?

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple
sdbcmr wrote:It's $360 new at Costco, with free shipping, and Costco's customer service.

I've got a Vizio I bought @ Secondipity - three years in and it's splendid.

@sdbcmr, funny you mention Costco - many of these are probably Costco/SAMs returns! That doesn't mean they're bad - club shoppers can be fickle and get buyer's remorse...

and Costco doesn't price protect manufacturer sales (instant rebates) so when the price drops after you buy (within 90 days for TVs of course) you are forced to return a perfectly good TV/DVD player/camera/toaster oven/whatever and re-buy the same item at the new lower price.

Seems silly but that's what happens and unlike SAMs putting on those orange tags and reselling, Costco simply returns it to the manufacturer.

bluemaple

Seems like a decent price for an almost 40 inch display.

For those worrying about it being 60Hz rather than 120Hz, you won't get near this price for a 120 Hz TV.

In any case, if you're continuing to nurse an old 32/35 inch tube TV this picture will blow it away.

If you want to use it as a computer monitor, you need an HDMI connector on your PC - or an adapter to DVI or VGA. (Not hard to find on NewEgg.)

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

39"? Did they lop off an inch when they refurbushed it?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

It's fixed. I expect you to buy one now.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
bluemaple wrote:Seems like a decent price for an almost 40 inch display.

For those worrying about it being 60Hz rather than 120Hz, you won't get near this price for a 120 Hz TV.

In any case, if you're continuing to nurse an old 32/35 inch tube TV this picture will blow it away.

If you want to use it as a computer monitor, you need an HDMI connector on your PC - or an adapter to DVI or VGA. (Not hard to find on NewEgg.)

I guess you don't think this "won't get near this price"! 1080P LED 42" and 120Hz for only $15 more than the $185 total you pay for this Vizio.

newegg offers the refurbished SIGMAC 42" 120Hz 1080p LED-Backlit LCD HD Television, model no. LE42AB1, for $299.99 with free shipping. That's the lowest total price we've seen for any 42" LED LCD 120Hz HDTV without rebate hassles. Features include a 1920x1080 (1080p) native resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, LED backlight, USB, three HDMI inputs, and more.

EDIT
Here is a link for the uninformed to reviews from Costco customers where Sigmac has an average rating of 5 stars.
Here is another link to disprove the inaccurate remarks about 120Hz prices.
For in-store pickup only, with stock varying by location, MicroCenter offers the Westinghouse 40" 120Hz 1080p LED-Backlit LCD HD Television, model no. UW40T2BW, for $299.99. That's tied with our mention from a week ago and tied with our January mention as the best price we've seen for this model. (It's a current low by $59.) Features include a native resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p), 120Hz refresh rate, two HDMI inputs, and a USB port.

jjfahey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jjfahey

I don't see a VGA port? Am I missing something, or is it?

dliidlii

jjfahey wrote:I don't see a VGA port? Am I missing something, or is it?

No VGA you need and HDMI adapter.

bluemaple

dliidlii wrote:I guess you don't think this "won't get near this price"! 1080P LED 42" and 120Hz for only $15 more than the $185 total you pay for this Vizio.

newegg offers the refurbished SIGMAC 42" 120Hz 1080p LED-Backlit LCD HD Television, model no. LE42AB1, for $299.99 with free shipping. That's the lowest total price we've seen for any 42" LED LCD 120Hz HDTV without rebate hassles. Features include a 1920x1080 (1080p) native resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, LED backlight, USB, three HDMI inputs, and more.

@dliidlii, there's one in every crowd. Go for it with that "SIGMAC" brand - never heard of it but apparently you like it enough to endorse it by posting it.

The single refurb SIGMAC review over there talks about a cracked case. Hardly a reputable or comparable refurb to Woot. And no Square Trade extended warrany - only the private label Newegg extended warranty.

I'll bet you can also show us some gems on eBay.

Ever heard of "Olevia"? They *were* a cheapo, off-brand as well.

bluemaple

jjfahey wrote:I don't see a VGA port? Am I missing something, or is it?

Nope, but if you really want to stay with VGA there are $30-40 converters available.

On a desktop PC you could consider putting in a cheap video card with HDMI for the same or less.

Of course you could just continue looking for a TV with VGA, but VGA is a rapidly dieing standard.

Note that a big advantage of HDMI is it carries the audio signal as well so you're not fussing with extra cables.

alexkru77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexkru77

What kinds of mounts are recommended for this model?

xzeroguy1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xzeroguy1

Great deal, got one. This is a very new model so not exactly sure why they are refurbished.. but refurbished tvs always work as good. 1080p is awesome.. But just to confirm is this LED with no LCD? Because I have bought an LED LCD TV before and it was mostly LCD

coolrunner87

quality posts: 11 Private Messages coolrunner87
TrooperJW wrote:I've been using it as a PC monitor also. It seems to be overemphasizing green and a bit of blue when I look at a color spectrum. Same specturm looks great on the USB picture viewer for the TV. Not sure if there is something wrong with the HDMI or if this is how they are made.

Otherwise happy with the image quality.

I would venture a guess that it's an issue with the TV; I use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my computer to the TV and the greens at least look a bit strong on here.

kstatejake

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kstatejake
dliidlii wrote:I guess you don't think this "won't get near this price"! 1080P LED 42" and 120Hz for only $15 more than the $185 total you pay for this Vizio.

Yeah, good luck with that super-well-known SIGMAC brand television. Ye gets what ye pays for.

667madison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 667madison

My first HD TV. Thanks woot!

kevinwangjiakan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinwangjiakan

Just got out of college and got this new apartment. Got one of this right before I went out for IKEA. Now I have my TV, furnitures, and cable&internet. Ready to start my new life!

yos9694

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yos9694

Can I connect a Wii to this? The pictures don't show the Red/Yellow/White I am used to. Thanks.

bluemaple

yos9694 wrote:Can I connect a Wii to this? The pictures don't show the Red/Yellow/White I am used to. Thanks.

Look at the "Composite (Good)" markings - that would be the "red/yellow/white" you're looking for. But you can't also hook up a "Component (Better)" device at the same time since those connectors are shared. So the answer is yes.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
kevinwangjiakan wrote:Just got out of college and got this new apartment. Got one of this right before I went out for IKEA. Now I have my TV, furnitures, and cable&internet. Ready to start my new life!

one of *these*...out *to*...*furniture*
Let me guess: engineering major?

mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande
goldnectar wrote:i just bought this tv during the woot-off for exactly the same price. My purchase seems less special and a bit irresponsibly hasty, now that it is up again.

You make NO sense! The price is not lOWER and if TV works well.. shutup you whiner

kevinwangjiakan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinwangjiakan
StanleyS wrote:one of *these*...out *to*...*furniture*
Let me guess: engineering major?

Duhh, how else can I make 6 figures fresh out of college?

Plus, "go out for IKEA" is correct. If you want to use "to", it should be "went to IKEA". Who cares about grammar on the internet anyways?

Let me guess: english teacher?

dliidlii

bluemaple wrote:@dliidlii, there's one in every crowd. Go for it with that "SIGMAC" brand - never heard of it but apparently you like it enough to endorse it by posting it.

The single refurb SIGMAC review over there talks about a cracked case. Hardly a reputable or comparable refurb to Woot. And no Square Trade extended warrany - only the private label Newegg extended warranty.

Do some research before making more ignorant comments. This brand is sold at Costco with a 2 year warranty and has 5 star ratings from Costco customers.

bluemaple

bluemaple wrote:

@dliidlii, there's one in every crowd. Go for it with that "SIGMAC" brand - never heard of it but apparently you like it enough to endorse it by posting it.

dliidlii wrote:Do some research before making more ignorant comments. This brand is sold at Costco with a 2 year warranty and has 5 star ratings from Costco customers.

@dliidlii, I stand by those comments, have you stood by yours - do you have a "SIGMAC" in your living room?

A "warranty" on a physically large $300 item that does not allow you to return the item and does not pay shipping has very little value. I want a proven reliable device, whatever its price. I don't want it to break in the first place.

I did see the (very old) Costco page, but you cited the NewEgg sale. The Costco page is for a TV they sold on Black Friday two years ago.

Costco is not infallible in selecting brands - ask the folks who work at the returns desk. I have.

Why didn't Costco proceed to sell "SIGMAC" routinely? Could it be because it is crap?

dliidlii

bluemaple wrote:bluemaple wrote:

@dliidlii, I stand by those comments, have you stood by yours - do you have a "SIGMAC" in your living room?

A "warranty" on a physically large $300 item that does not allow you to return the item and does not pay shipping has very little value. I want a proven reliable device, whatever its price. I don't want it to break in the first place.

I did see the (very old) Costco page, but you cited the NewEgg sale. The Costco page is for a TV they sold on Black Friday two years ago.

Costco is not infallible in selecting brands - ask the folks who work at the returns desk. I have.

Why didn't Costco proceed to sell "SIGMAC" routinely? Could it be because it is crap?

Costco frequently changes the products available in their stores and it has nothing to do with quality. Your assertion that it was a Black Friday sale is easily shown to be false because the reviews date from November 8th 2011 which was 3 weeks BEFORE Black Friday and only 17 months ago. Also, it's a lot easier to take the TV (29 lbs) back to Costco up to 24 months after purchase than ship the Vizio back if it fails after 3 months. The fact is the Sigmac purchased 17 months ago will still be covered under warranty when the warranty for the Vizio just purchased today has expired. A 5 star rating from Costco consumers is more reliable than your opinion since you had never even heard of Sigmac yet passed judgment on them with no evidence to support your opinion. Your last reply simply validated my original response to your previous post.

bluemaple

dliidlii wrote:Costco frequently changes the products available in their stores and it has nothing to do with quality. Your assertion that it was a Black Friday sale is easily shown to be false because the reviews date from November 8th 2011 which was 3 weeks BEFORE Black Friday and only 17 months ago. Also, it's a lot easier to take the TV (29 lbs) back to Costco up to 24 months after purchase than ship the Vizio back if it fails after 3 months. The fact is the Sigmac purchased 17 months ago will still be covered under warranty when the warranty for the Vizio just purchased today has expired. A 5 star rating from Costco consumers is more reliable than your opinion since you had never even heard of Sigmac yet passed judgment on them with no evidence to support your opinion. Your last reply simply validated my original response to your previous post.

@dliidlii, It was a a Black Friday sale. Apparently you have not noticed that many customers avoid that Friday like the plague. Only folks who don't value their own time spend 10+ hours in line to save $20, $50, or $100. Tin Manic.

So, stores have responded by offering Black Friday products in advance.

If Black Friday did not exist, nether would this "SIGMAC" product at Costco,

Well, it's been entertaining debating your deranged love for "SIGMAC", but it has also become tiresome. Enough.

dliidlii

bluemaple wrote:@dliidlii, It was a a Black Friday sale. Apparently you have not noticed that many customers avoid that Friday like the plague. Only folks who don't value their own time spend 10+ hours in line to save $20, $50, or $100. Tin Manic.

So, stores have responded by offering Black Friday products in advance.

If Black Friday did not exist, nether would this "SIGMAC" product at Costco,

Well, it's been entertaining debating your deranged love for "SIGMAC", but it has also become tiresome. Enough.

Not to mention your deranged attacks on a product you have never owned or even new existed until first seeing it here on Woot. Costco and Frys,among other retailers, sold SIGMAC TV's year round and a quick look at Frys shows they still do. Your entitled to your opinion even when your wrong.