WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Cameras & Accessories For Mom

Mom, it's time we just say it: the photos you've been taking just don't work. No, no, it's not you, it's your stuff. Here, take your pick of these cameras and accessories for Mother's Day. We don't want "Grandkid's First Communion" to look like "Grandkid's First Time In The Fog."



Quality Posts


jbachorz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbachorz

It's a fine camera for the money, and uses the 4-3rds lens system, so more lenses are fairly easy to find. It's not the top of the line model, but its a good one. It will represent a big leap upscale for point-and-shoot users, and a quantum jump for camera-phone users in terms of quality. B&H sells a new equivalent for $700 or so, so it's a good deal, especially since it seems Panasonic is doing the refurbishing. And if you get it, buy some GOOD high-speed memory cards, Class 10 or higher!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jbachorz wrote:It's a fine camera for the money, and uses the 4-3rds lens system, so more lenses are fairly easy to find. It's not the top of the line model, but its a good one. It will represent a big leap upscale for point-and-shoot users, and a quantum jump for camera-phone users in terms of quality. B&H sells a new equivalent for $700 or so, so it's a good deal, especially since it seems Panasonic is doing the refurbishing. And if you get it, buy some GOOD high-speed memory cards, Class 10 or higher!



Which one?



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

B4 you buy for Mom, find out what she wants to shoot and where, then pick.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

lloydv


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloydv
ThunderThighs wrote:Which one?



If I'm not mistaken, he means the Panasonic G5.

kznny


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kznny

Sunpak VL-LED-12 LED Video Light

So the parent offers it for $19.95 with free Prime shipping and the offspring is offering for equal or more? Come on WOOT!

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-VL-LED-12-LED-Video-Light/dp/B0070AVNXQ

MikeRaphone


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikeRaphone

delete

turtlegir1


quality posts: 33 Private Messages turtlegir1

I debated and waited until the last minute to purchase the Nikon Coolpix 9300 on a previous Woot. There were a lot of mixed reviews, but for the price and the 18x optical, I went for it. Having played with it for several weeks, I think it's a very nice camera, especially for the $100 price tag. My only gripe is that it is a little bigger than my earlier super-compact (due to the GPS module and big lens, I think), and it doesn't fit in my camera case. Anyway, here is an endorsement from a previous woot purchaser!

ceagee


quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

Word of warning re :Sunpak SP-SDK-1 ScreenKlean LCD Screen Cleaner

I picked up one during a Woot Off a few months back. It turned the edges of my white tablet black. It was awful to get it off. Makes me wonder what it did to my screen ( seems ok)
Oh and don't get me started on what happens if you accidentally make contact with your hand.

Seemed like such a neat idea, the packaging of it and style are nice. Too bad it is a big mess to use.

"I'd turn back if I were you."




dunhama1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dunhama1

The Samsung ST201 has 4.5 stars on Amazon (6 reviews): http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-St201-16-1mp-Digital-Camera/dp/B00AEGGRUW

This seems like a pretty darn good deal for a solid point-and-shoot camera. Never been disappointed with Samsung.

I would totally be in for one if a nearby river hadn't decided to swallow up my car a couple weeks ago.

jdviper9


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdviper9

Anyone have the Sony Camcorder that is on here. Thinking of getting it for my wife for mother's day. I read the reviews on Amazon and they seem to be on the positive side. Just wondering what the first hand experience was like for some of you wooters.

Thanks,

gojirav


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gojirav

Hey. Are any of these cams rainproof? Sony HDR-CX190, Toshiba CAMILEO X416 or DXG Pro Gear DXG-5K1. I live in Scotland and it would be silly to buy a cam that is not.

spacezorro


quality posts: 2 Private Messages spacezorro

FYI...

The Eye-Fi cards will not work with the Samsung ST201. Samsung uses microSD.

I realized this too late (aka.. after I ordered) :/

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gojirav wrote:Hey. Are any of these cams rainproof? Sony HDR-CX190, Toshiba CAMILEO X416 or DXG Pro Gear DXG-5K1. I live in Scotland and it would be silly to buy a cam that is not.



I'm afraid none of the cams you listed are water-resistant.

Our buyer tells us the only model that's water-resistant is the Swann when its case is on.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

philgonet


quality posts: 10 Private Messages philgonet

(Re: Pentax k-01)
what's with the 40mm lens in the pics? Is that included and if so, what are the specs on it?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

philgonet wrote:(Re: Pentax k-01)
what's with the 40mm lens in the pics? Is that included and if so, what are the specs on it?



No those aren't included. Looks like we grabbed the wrong stock photos from the vendor. I'll send that in to be removed. Thanks for pointing that out.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

philgonet


quality posts: 10 Private Messages philgonet
ThunderThighs wrote:No those aren't included. Looks like we grabbed the wrong stock photos from the vendor. I'll send that in to be removed. Thanks for pointing that out.



Bummer... that's a pretty intriguing piece of glass...

Phillystyle


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phillystyle
turtlegir1 wrote:I debated and waited until the last minute to purchase the Nikon Coolpix 9300 on a previous Woot. There were a lot of mixed reviews, but for the price and the 18x optical, I went for it. Having played with it for several weeks, I think it's a very nice camera, especially for the $100 price tag. My only gripe is that it is a little bigger than my earlier super-compact (due to the GPS module and big lens, I think), and it doesn't fit in my camera case. Anyway, here is an endorsement from a previous woot purchaser!



Hiya!

I've done some research and this seems like an ok camera for a really good price - especially with that powerful a zoom.

Just wondering:
How do you feel about the battery life?.
Do you feel like you're getting good quality pics?

Thanks in advance.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
Phillystyle wrote:Hiya!

I've done some research and this seems like an ok camera for a really good price - especially with that powerful a zoom.

Just wondering:
How do you feel about the battery life?.
Do you feel like you're getting good quality pics?

Thanks in advance.




"Do you feel like you're getting good quality pics?" needs to be qualified a lot.

If you are taking shots in the backyard on a nice day, yeah, probably great. If you are trying to shoot action shots in a gym, probably not. What are your expectations?

Years ago, I wrote an early ebook (on disk with audio!) called, "How To Buy Your First Digital Camera!" Lexar snapped up the rights to it, which was nice for me, for a site.

Now I'm thinking of re-doing it as a book with the name, "How To Buy Your NEXT Digital Camera."

A large part of it will be about discerning what kind of photos you want and what you have to know to make a smart buy.

So, before you buy, what do you want to shoot, leaving out outdoor snapshot and indoor flash shots?



acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

Phillystyle


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phillystyle
radi0j0hn wrote:"Do you feel like you're getting good quality pics?" needs to be qualified a lot.

If you are taking shots in the backyard on a nice day, yeah, probably great. If you are trying to shoot action shots in a gym, probably not. What are your expectations?

Years ago, I wrote an early ebook (on disk with audio!) called, "How To Buy Your First Digital Camera!" Lexar snapped up the rights to it, which was nice for me, for a site.

Now I'm thinking of re-doing it as a book with the name, "How To Buy Your NEXT Digital Camera."

A large part of it will be about discerning what kind of photos you want and what you have to know to make a smart buy.

So, before you buy, what do you want to shoot, leaving out outdoor snapshot and indoor flash shots?



I kinda get what you mean. My question was meant to be so general because the answer will be so subjective. BUT if turtlegir1's response happens to be VERY positive or VERY negative I feel that would tell me a little something.

As for where and how I'm going to use it, I'm just looking for a good deal on a camera that's got some exceptional features-particularly the optical zoom. Assuming this camera won't make my life completely miserable when I try to take a few pics, it'll be fine. I won't know that until I get it in my hands and take some shots anyway.

As for how/where I'll use it, it's just got to be an all around camera that I'll know won't take the most exquisite pictures sometimes and other times they'll be great. Indoor, outdoor bright light or dark rooms? You just pull out your camera and snap some shots right?

I'm comparison shopping. When I find a good enough deal, I'll pull the trigger and hopefully I'll be getting something great. We'll see.

Good luck with the book if you re-do it.

gothicchic21


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gothicchic21

The Nikon 9300 may be practically new?!? I bought one & had to return it right away, it had a circle that would show up on every photo, they said it was a defective sensor if I remember right, told me to to return it. I wonder if that was common? I just got a cheaper model instead with 10x zoom. Not much difference besides the zoom, f stops were very similar and same type of sensor, etc. looking at the newer Nikon 9000 line you can be even closer on the macro setting but seems like most other specs were very similar, just way more in terms of price!

I do like my 6000 series Nikon, but it is just really slow to take pics & I wonder if the 9300 is any different?!? I don't like having to use a setting that allows for continuous, in most situations, because they are all blurry anyways!

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
Phillystyle wrote:I kinda get what you mean. My question was meant to be so general because the answer will be so subjective. BUT if turtlegir1's response happens to be VERY positive or VERY negative I feel that would tell me a little something.

As for where and how I'm going to use it, I'm just looking for a good deal on a camera that's got some exceptional features-particularly the optical zoom. Assuming this camera won't make my life completely miserable when I try to take a few pics, it'll be fine. I won't know that until I get it in my hands and take some shots anyway.

As for how/where I'll use it, it's just got to be an all around camera that I'll know won't take the most exquisite pictures sometimes and other times they'll be great. Indoor, outdoor bright light or dark rooms? You just pull out your camera and snap some shots right?

I'm comparison shopping. When I find a good enough deal, I'll pull the trigger and hopefully I'll be getting something great. We'll see.

Good luck with the book if you re-do it.



Here is the problem as I see it:

I have been teaching and tutoring new digital camera owners for more than seven years at a local college. Unless they took a photography course sometime earlier in their lives or grew up with photography as a hobby, 90% of the people in the class have absolutely no understanding of the relationship between apertures, shutter speeds and ISO sensitivity of the camera.

This is understandable, as most have grown up with 35mm point and shoot cameras with no controls. But I also find that their aspirations are far beyond the technical capabilities of the cameras they purchase.

Simply put, you get what you pay for and there ain't no free lunch.

Someday, and perhaps soon, the sensitivity of the cameras coupled with improvements in artificial intelligence will allow the untrained photographer to get the spectacular outdoor and indoor low-light shots they want.

But right now we are approaching the digital photography much the same as we did film photography and that is much the same as Matthew Brady did during the Civil War.

Technology will overcome the lack of information about lens openings, etc. And, eventually, there will not be a need for lenses with very large apertures.

But right now it is painful to see people shopping for a camera with these wild expectations as to what they can do because they are “digital.” As I've said many times, the laws of physics have not changed simply because you have abandoned film.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

kdspivey3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdspivey3

Does anyone know anything about the Toshiba Camileo Camcorder?