WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Technical Pro Audio

Hooking up cables. Finding the right angles. Rewiring the flamastdat and flanging the hoodlebop. Audio lovers love fiddling with knobs and buttons and plugs. Technical? That just means a fun Sunday afternoon.
Technical Pro official site

rbildirici

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbildirici

love T-Pro. amazing value and very reliable product. keep doing what you guys are doing.

jgourd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgourd

When did it become legal to use peak power when advertising amplifiers? Back in the '70s it was signed into law that all amplifiers were to be advertised with their 8 ohm RMS power rating.

This amp is a 240Watt unit but even that is meaningless as the % of THD is missing. 79db of signal to noise is also horrible. You are getting a $50 amp for $80. Not a good deal.

smooth0906

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smooth0906
jgourd wrote:When did it become legal to use peak power when advertising amplifiers? Back in the '70s it was signed into law that all amplifiers were to be advertised with their 8 ohm RMS power rating.

This amp is a 240Watt unit but even that is meaningless as the % of THD is missing. 79db of signal to noise is also horrible. You are getting a $50 amp for $80. Not a good deal.

Thank you for your great post. There should be a law against over-rating power amp's output and belittling the THD which is even more important than the amp's output power.

getbigtony

quality posts: 1 Private Messages getbigtony

$13 for the mic from adoramacamera on fleabay w/ free shipping or their site http://www.adorama.com/1/1/53853-technical-pro-mk66-wired-microphone-mkg66.html; better there if you need one, here if you need 2 or 3. Can't really find a review on it

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

If my brother and I were starting up an audio podcast where we talked about movies, would one of the less expensive microphones work? Or are any of these compatible with a computer.

roussie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages roussie
bluejester wrote:If my brother and I were starting up an audio podcast where we talked about movies, would one of the less expensive microphones work? Or are any of these compatible with a computer.

Any of these mics would technically work although you would need adapters and preamps to hook them up to your computer. It looks like the expensive wireless mic has a preamp with it but at that price you could find something cheaper for what you need. Also a wired mic would be better since you're not running around. The wired mic here looks like it's XLR connection so you would need an adapter (which exist but can run you like $15) You would also need a preamp if you wanted the vocal quality to sound professional.

roussie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages roussie

I bought a TP amp about 5 years ago and it's still kicking after quite a bit of abuse. As mentioned in previous posts, be wary of the watt rating since you're impedance is going to change based on how your speakers are set up. Anyway, I am able to run 2 100W RMS speakers in parallel off a 1000W (at 0 ohms) channel. There is still a little more room there where I would think you could run a speaker up to about 200W RMS safely per 1000W channel......

Ahhhh science....

beloved

quality posts: 2 Private Messages beloved
bluejester wrote:If my brother and I were starting up an audio podcast where we talked about movies, would one of the less expensive microphones work? Or are any of these compatible with a computer.

This is overkill for a podcast, get two Rhode Podcaster's -- they are the highest quality for the price you can get for a ready to go computer mic. I have a Yeti Pro and want to sell it for a Rode Podcaster. =)

first woot! purchased:
  • 01/13/07 - (1) Logitech mm28 Flat Panel Portable Speakers

bjvalley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjvalley

Does anyone know if this unit would work with a different microphone/headset? If so, would it increase the distance range based on the microphone?

pitamuffin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pitamuffin

So the Powered Bluetooth Loudspeaker (the cube-shaped one) retails for $35 and Woot is selling it for $39? That's -11% off list price, per the Woot write-up. This could be the worst Woot deal ever -- or maybe they need to change something in the copy.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 618 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pitamuffin wrote:So the Powered Bluetooth Loudspeaker (the cube-shaped one) retails for $35 and Woot is selling it for $39? That's -11% off list price, per the Woot write-up. This could be the worst Woot deal ever -- or maybe they need to change something in the copy.

Whoops. I'll send that in for checking.

UPDATE: It's fixed. Funny thing is, that's the price the vendor gave us. LOL

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

weister42

quality posts: 5 Private Messages weister42
roussie wrote:I bought a TP amp about 5 years ago and it's still kicking after quite a bit of abuse. As mentioned in previous posts, be wary of the watt rating since you're impedance is going to change based on how your speakers are set up. Anyway, I am able to run 2 100W RMS speakers in parallel off a 1000W (at 0 ohms) channel. There is still a little more room there where I would think you could run a speaker up to about 200W RMS safely per 1000W channel......

Ahhhh science....

Um, no. A zero ohm is a dead short and amplifiers will either go into protection or start smoking if it's running 0 ohm. When you parallel two speakers of the same impedance, the final impedance will be halved. The notion "run a speaker up to about 200W RMS safely per 1000W channel" makes no sense, you might wanna go study the basics of audio equipment to enlighten your knowledge.

FYI no Technical Pro amps actually make 1000 watts RMS per channel cleanly, they're cheap and about as good as Pyle's pro audio stuff (meaning you'll never find them in any decent studios or touring bands). I'd say save your money and go buy good brands like QSC, Crown, JBL, Mackie, etc... because even the old Crown CE1000 is better than this junk and they can be found for about $150 used.

Happy Wooter

vickde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vickde
jgourd wrote:When did it become legal to use peak power when advertising amplifiers? Back in the '70s it was signed into law that all amplifiers were to be advertised with their 8 ohm RMS power rating.

The FTC rules concerning the disclosure of amplifier power apply to consumer hi-fi equipment. They never covered pro-audio.

amorphousalias

quality posts: 5 Private Messages amorphousalias
vickde wrote:The FTC rules concerning the disclosure of amplifier power apply to consumer hi-fi equipment. They never covered pro-audio.

I am a snob and the 'pro' quality of some of the items here is questionable. I repeat that I am a snob. It all seems like fine equipment but maybe not pro.

mshanejoneswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mshanejoneswoot

This 4 wireless mic package, I don't see any technical specs about the output ports on either this page nor the Tech Pro webpage. What type of output is on the reciever? XLR? 1/4 plug? RCA type?

udavidj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages udavidj

Reviews for the WASP500 portable PA are less than stellar on Amazon. Too bad, it's a great concept but perhaps poorly executed in this package.

Love,
UdavidJ

jf12volt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jf12volt

Staff

The output is 1/4

mshanejoneswoot wrote:This 4 wireless mic package, I don't see any technical specs about the output ports on either this page nor the Tech Pro webpage. What type of output is on the reciever? XLR? 1/4 plug? RCA type?

jf12volt

Staff

More specifically, Outputs: 4x Individual 1/4" (1 Per Channel), 1x Mixed 1/4" (1 Per 4 Channel)

jf12volt wrote:The output is 1/4

jf12volt

Staff

More specifically, Outputs: 4x Individual 1/4" (1 Per Channel), 1x Mixed 1/4" (1 Per 4 Channel)

Please note there are 2 1/4" outputs
Individual and Mixed

jf12volt wrote:The output is 1/4

ctheronj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ctheronj
vickde wrote:The FTC rules concerning the disclosure of amplifier power apply to consumer hi-fi equipment. They never covered pro-audio.

So is the reason they are labelling this as pro is so they can get out of actually disclosing their THD (total harmonic distortion) figures? Yikes.

sumorez

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sumorez
roussie wrote:I bought a TP amp about 5 years ago and it's still kicking after quite a bit of abuse. As mentioned in previous posts, be wary of the watt rating since you're impedance is going to change based on how your speakers are set up. Anyway, I am able to run 2 100W RMS speakers in parallel off a 1000W (at 0 ohms) channel. There is still a little more room there where I would think you could run a speaker up to about 200W RMS safely per 1000W channel......

Mr. roussie, what you've just said is one of the most insanely Tin Manic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

On a more serious note, in addition to what has already been said about 0 ohms being a dead short and essentially frying either the amp, the speakers, or both -- the second part about the 100W speakers makes no sense either. The 100W rating describes the power limitation of the speaker. Hooking 200W speakers up won't make them louder; in reality, a 200W speaker is likely less efficient, given equal other properties, than a 100W rated speaker... so you're possibly more likely to end up with an even quieter speaker.

It would appear that your response describes you accurately as exactly the type of person this company is marketing towards, so please enjoy your equipment.

jon12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jon12
weister42 wrote:Um, no...

Ignore the troll and it might just go away!

But seriously I think woot's purchasing department must have found the company that supplies the dudes selling audio equipment out of their trunk. Or maybe they just went crazy at the swap meet.

EDIT: this is woot's version of the "White van speaker scam"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

supersleeper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersleeper

I ordered the BLUEMINI but was sorely disappointed. The audio sporadically pops and misses. I don't experience this issue with my other BT gateway devices.