WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Street Art

Art has always drawn from the street. But who wants to live on a street? Now you can bring the beauty of urban rooftops to your nice, safe apartment. It's certainly easier than learning how to spray paint properly.

Quality Posts

kirscherj2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirscherj2

Grammar Police Alert!! In Banksy's item: "2002 featuring a girl letting go of a heart-shaped TV(BALLOON not TV), the controversial and anonymous Banksy has since altered the piece to depict a TV in place of the heart."

rytard22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rytard22

Can someone tell me what one does with a rolled canvas? Put it in a regular frame? Just hang it loose on the wall?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

rytard22 wrote:Can someone tell me what one does with a rolled canvas? Put it in a regular frame? Just hang it loose on the wall?

Here is a forum thread with some helpful tips...

tweezak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tweezak

Watch the movie Exit Through the Gift Shop to learn a little more about the so-called "artist" Mr. Brainwash.

dednkicking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dednkicking
tweezak wrote:Watch the movie Exit Through the Gift Shop to learn a little more about the so-called "artist" Mr. Brainwash.

I did... seems about legit of an artist as anyone else. Think the whole point of the movie was the joke is on "counter culture" art community..

TheDesertDog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheDesertDog

Has Banksy changed his mind? He has never offered this type of item and always said he didn't mind if others made these items for themselves but gives no rights for others to profit from it.

TheDesertDog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheDesertDog

From http://www.banksy.co.uk/shop/shop21.html

"You're welcome to download whatever you wish from this site for personal use. However, making your own art or merchandise and passing it off as ‘official’ or authentic Banksy artwork is bad and very wrong."

rytard22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rytard22
dednkicking wrote:I did... seems about legit of an artist as anyone else. Think the whole point of the movie was the joke is on "counter culture" art community..

My interpretation of the movie is that he made it to spite MBW and expose him as a nutcase.

mgref

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgref

Why are you selling art without the artists' permission? I know you are profiting from a friend of mine and he didn't give permission nor is he profiting from it.

troyblood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages troyblood

I have to agree there - you guys are doing a bad thing here. Normally I'm a Woot fan but this street art thing has to come down. Banksy is an anonymous dude, but most of these guys have their art in galleries and are currently having their work stolen and sold at a profit by Woot. This was a serious error in judgment on someone's part over there.

mgref wrote:Why are you selling art without the artists' permission? I know you are profiting from a friend of mine and he didn't give permission nor is he profiting from it.

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg
troyblood wrote:I have to agree there - you guys are doing a bad thing here. Normally I'm a Woot fan but this street art thing has to come down. Banksy is an anonymous dude, but most of these guys have their art in galleries and are currently having their work stolen and sold at a profit by Woot. This was a serious error in judgment on someone's part over there.

And you're SERIOUSLY ripping us off when it comes to the gallery wrap fees. Go to Hobby Lobby and get the supplies to do it yourself.

tulasipriya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tulasipriya

A friend just informed me that his art is being sold illegally (pirated) in this Woot. May the ethical buyer beware.

kipin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kipin

Woot, please do the respectful and ethical thing and remove these items for sale.

jrunri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrunri
kipin wrote:Woot, please do the respectful and ethical thing and remove these items for sale.

Agreed. But why should we be surprised by capitalists using anarchists for however they can exploit? Of course, it's fair use but shows Woots values ..rotten to the core with greed

Bingo969

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bingo969

Unfortunately, every time this particular company comes up here there are posts complaining that these works are being sold without the artists permission however nothing appears to be done about it except to sell more.

purplefeather

quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather

I would be happy to buy one of these prints if they were being reproduced in some kind of ethical manner.

Can't find the artist to hand a check over? Don't print his work then.

gamerzard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gamerzard
purplefeather wrote:I would be happy to buy one of these prints if they were being reproduced in some kind of ethical manner.

Can't find the artist to hand a check over? Don't print his work then.

i'm no lawyer, but if the owner of the copyrights allows you to use their images for personal use, then you can create the canvas yourself. i have seen many vouchers for picture to canvas. for example, living social has a deal for $29 for a 16" x 20" personalized canvas print.

Dadoboy

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dadoboy
tulasipriya wrote:A friend just informed me that his art is being sold illegally (pirated) in this Woot. May the ethical buyer beware.

I find it VERY odd that someone would join in 2006, not buy anything, or say anything, until now.

DaveD1420

quality posts: 7 Private Messages DaveD1420

A friend just informed me that his art is being sold in this sale, and he doesn't care in the least because he is an anarchist and believes in usufruct, and as an advocate of a non-capitalist society, does not advocate claiming copyright.

rglass22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rglass22

Really scum-bag call selling street art for which the artist receives no compensation.

Buyers that aren't aware should read up here: http://www.woostercollective.com/post/a-major-step-in-the-fight-for-street-artists-to-protect-their-copyrigh

Check out art.com if you want ethically created art work, or better yet, go travel and take your own photos, that way you have a memory to go along with your canvas print.

thumperchick

quality posts: 236 Private Messages thumperchick

Some heavy accusations here, guys. Perhaps give woot a chance to look into this and respond before vilifying an entire company.

bobtina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobtina

this is wrong on so many levels

rglass22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rglass22
thumperchick wrote:Some heavy accusations here, guys. Perhaps give woot a chance to look into this and respond before vilifying an entire company.

You're right, Thumper. We should give them a fair chance to act quickly and show where they stand.

But it's been over a week already...