WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! It's getting warm out, people are wearing less, and that's a good excuse to start havin' fun. We're gonna get funky today, and we invite you to join us.

Gap Band - Early In The Morning

The music is top notch, but even if it wasn't, you'd still have a good reason to love The Gap Band. What reason, you ask? THOSE HATS. Also of note is how The Gap Band made their song so impervious that even cover versions will remain substantially funky.

It's only gettin' funkier from here. See you after the jump.

As always, remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is A Tribute To George Jones. RIP, Possum. But before you start reminiscing, check out our current Music Monday, right now.

Hot Chocolate - Every 1s A Winner

Hot Chocolate is responsible for two different giant funk songs but I personally like this one the best. Maybe because it's not played as often, or maybe because of that fuzzy guitar/astral synth combo.

The Spinners - Rubberband Man

Pick up a rubber band and stretch it out. Start to thump it. What will you hear? Probably nothing but tiny twangs. But in your mind, if you're being honest with yourself, it would sound like the bass line on this song. Dare you to not dance in your chair as you listen.

Chromeo - Tenderoni

Yes, they are young men. So were Marvin Gaye and George Clinton once upon a time. Even if they're loved by a lot of hipsters, this is still good music, and still just as funky as anything that came before. Well, okay, not ANYthing. But it's a good song from a good band and that's good enough for me.

Stevie Wonder - Maybe Your Baby

Why does Stevie get to close us out? Because. Seriously, because. If you can't figure it out just by listening then it is YOU WHO HAVE THE PROBLEM. Also please enjoy Superstition in the mix as well. Sort of a little bonus to keep you funky all day.

The only way we're going to get more funky is if you help us. Throw your favorite funkay track into the comments below, then go tear the roof off our Turntable.fm room and the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

I read the subject line and immediately thought "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry

mossygreen

quality posts: 72 Private Messages mossygreen

Funkiest song ever: possibly Outa Space

Funkiest T. Rex song: probably The Avengers (Superbad)

Funkiest Steely Dan song: maybe Monkey in Your Soul?

Edited to add Vivian Stanshall's instrumental Prong, for no particular reason:

reverendalexg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reverendalexg

Funkface inducing. Payoff at 3:00.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Gonna drop some real funky beats down on y'all. Here are a couple of my favorites and first that came to mind. They're definitely not going to be classics as much as songs that borrow a lot of funk styles.

Scott arleady got some Stevie Wonder but this song came to mind first.

Stevie Wonder - Superstion

I always thought this song borrowed heavy from the wall, but it's still pretty darn good and got a pretty funky groove goin on.

Fischerspooner - Never Win

KROQ did a great job of killing any joy I once had of RHCP but you gotta admit this song is pretty funky.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give it Away

That's about it for now, I might swing by and drop some more songs later. Oh and we can't forget about Les Claypool, that guy is a real beast on the Bass.

Yellow Brick Road starts getting pretty funky around 1:50.

I hope these are all acceptable submissions to this week's music monday

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102
CowboyDann wrote:Scott arleady got some Stevie Wonder but this song came to mind first.

Stevie Wonder - Superstion

Superstition came to my mind too, but it was after I made my post and I didn't feel like editing it to add it. I'm glad you were able to score with it

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

I've been a big fan of Gimme the Funk by Charades with an opening that always cracks me up.

And any discussion of Funk must include Beavis and Butthead's commentary about Funk Dat by Sagat.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Dug up some old funk:

Beginning of the End - "Funky Nassau"

Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - "Express Yourself"

Commodores - "Brick House"

Earth, Wind & Fire - "Shining Star"

War - "Low Rider"

Like Scott, ending with

Stevie Wonder - "Higher Ground"

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?