WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Space Invaders by iCanvas Art

Roughly 35 years ago this June, the video game craze officially began. Space Invaders started the money-making juggernaut from which Bioshock: Infinite would be born. Remember your roots by picking up some cute aliens for your house, dorm or bunker. Maybe if you're lucky, you'll even see the bonus ship fly past.
iCanvas official site

pitamuffin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin

Yes, the only game I looked for in the arcade, back in the day. Okay, I liked Centipede, too, but Space Invaders was the machine I camped out on.

35 years ago, really? Oh boy am I feeling old...

aliusa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages aliusa

How many people remember Ansi art from the BBS days?

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
aliusa wrote:How many people remember Ansi art from the BBS days?

Um, that would be ASCII art. And before that, there was ASCII backspace overstrike art on ASR-33 teletypes. Not that I'm old enough to remember or anything like that.

Woody1

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Woody1

I wouldn't be so dismissive because he/she was right.

"ANSI art is a computer art form that was widely used at one time on BBSes. It is similar to ASCII art, but constructed from a larger set of 256 letters, numbers, and symbols. ANSI art is considerably more flexible than ASCII art, because the particular character set it uses contains symbols intended for drawing"

As for aging yourself, I still have a set of my first programs on punch cards. Maybe I can spray paint them, glue them to a board and make a dollar or two.

narquespamley wrote:Um, that would be ASCII art. And before that, there was ASCII backspace overstrike art on ASR-33 teletypes. Not that I'm old enough to remember or anything like that.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

wharper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wharper

Umm, $63 for inkjet ("Giclée") on a piece of fabric. Yeah, gimme a dozen.

spmcgivern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spmcgivern

Very reminiscent of the French street artist "Invader". He pasted up images from the game all over the world. Very famous.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin
wharper wrote:Umm, $63 for inkjet ("Giclée") on a piece of fabric. Yeah, gimme a dozen.

That's not unusual pricing for a Giclée (inkjet) canvas. They can sell for up to several hundred dollars depending on the size and the artist. I have to imagine the archival quality inks used are fairly expensive.

So between the costs for the canvas, the higher quality ink, the large machinery needed to make large prints, the wood stretcher bars, and the machinery (or people) to stretch the canvas over the stretchers, it's going to be a bit more expensive than just a framed paper print.

Interesting aside "Giclée" is from the French verb "Gicler" which means "to squirt". Whoever came up with the term didn't think "Inkjet Canvas Print" sounded hoity-toity enough for art snobs. They needed a fancy French term for the added snobbery effect.

aliusa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages aliusa
Woody1 wrote:I wouldn't be so dismissive because he/she was right.

"ANSI art is a computer art form that was widely used at one time on BBSes. It is similar to ASCII art, but constructed from a larger set of 256 letters, numbers, and symbols. ANSI art is considerably more flexible than ASCII art, because the particular character set it uses contains symbols intended for drawing"

As for aging yourself, I still have a set of my first programs on punch cards. Maybe I can spray paint them, glue them to a board and make a dollar or two.

Because of you punch card folks, I can't go past line 80!

But thanks for the help. I should know because I was part of the "underground bbs art scene" (iCE, ACiD, CiA, etc). In fact, RaDMaN of ACiD is selling some of my work on Amazon!

aaronf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronf

These are sort of neat...

elquesogrande

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elquesogrande

Really neat stuff, but 18% off doesn't seem very woot-esque.

Deals, please!

FauxReal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FauxReal
spmcgivern wrote:Very reminiscent of the French street artist "Invader". He pasted up images from the game all over the world. Very famous.

That's exactly what I thought, it's so similar to some of his stuff that it must have been commissioned from him or it's a total bite.

http://www.space-invaders.com/

Coming on strong with some hardcore power...

Bingo969

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bingo969

You can do a lot with ASCII Art...

ASCII Star Wars

ugrasse2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ugrasse2
elquesogrande wrote:Really neat stuff, but 18% off doesn't seem very woot-esque.

Deals, please!

They're just following the mothership. Inflate the prices artificially, then lower it halfway down to appropriate levels and call it a deal.

I might pay $10-$15 for the smaller ones if I was outfitting an office rec room... for my home, these would not survive more than a couple of weeks -- I'd get sick of them.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

elquesogrande wrote:Really neat stuff, but 18% off doesn't seem very woot-esque.

Deals, please!

Our Plus deals will often not have the same deep discounts you're used to seeing on the Daily deals. This is because we have smaller quantities, it's a niche product, we're testing a category, etc. We just can't get that deep discount on smaller quantities.

We know you'll hunt for the best deals and respect you for that.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders