quality posts: 3016 Private Messages lichme

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Here's some more info about the lifetime maps:
http://www.magellangps.com/Map-Upgrade-Lifetime-Subscription-UC

Also info about the content manager software:
http://www.magellangps.com/contentmanager

[MOD: Just note that Lifetime maps are already included with this GPS.]

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea

MOD, could you clarify? FREE Lifetime Maps are included? Not the $99.99 as the website linked above suggests?

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

Could you use the WVGA input port for a non-Magellan device, like a Raspberry Pi?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Good reviews (4 out of 5) over at walmart.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

additional information (and pictures) over at magellangps.com

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14
morriea wrote:MOD, could you clarify? FREE Lifetime Maps are included? Not the $99.99 as the website linked above suggests?

Sorry my post was a bit confusing! The lifetime maps are included for free with this woot. You are pretty much getting a $99 package for free. Which I guess essentially makes the GPS free? haha

But yes lifetime maps are free on this model!

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
brentjcook wrote:It's pretty clear in the features list that lifetime maps are included with this model.

Is it? Then why am I not clear about it? The "Quality Post" chosen by the MOD links to a $99.99 purchase. I think a little clarification would be helpful. The description does not read "FREE" Lifetime Maps. Think about someone that has NEVER purchased a GPS before and tell me it is clear. The problem may be the original QUALITY POST (maybe not the best quality if it confuses).

EDIT: Thank you for the above clarification

davemeigs5

quality posts: 8 Private Messages davemeigs5

Would this work on a bicycle?

deesam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deesam

Sure feel sorry for the buyer from Wisconsin..Hy 29 still shows "alternatives" from 2005..Although the Garmin I bought to replace the Magellan has part of the final August construction of Hy 10 updated the Magellan didn't..First time I used the earlier Magellan it tried to send me down a dirt road after trying to send me in the opposite direction....Vision in the sun is awful..Instead of Hy 29 west, built to interstate standards it wants you to go north to Hy 8, a two lane through the north woods,one of the worst deer kill roads in the state, then go back south to your destination with Hy 8's 10 mph slower speed limit...I'm STILL waiting for my refund after returning the Magellan to woot...Next stop will be corporate owner Amazon, which will be the second time I have had to complain to them...Funny how fast they fixed the last problem, a defective Kindle from woot...

s1utster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages s1utster

Looks great but no traffic report data :o(

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

Lifetime maps... cool. The last GPS I ordered on woot keeps whining about being out of date but I don't much feel like spending more money.

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards
davemeigs5 wrote:Would this work on a bicycle?

Battery life is up to 30 minutes...no brackets as far as i know - to secure it on a bike...

stanfollis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanfollis

I have been using Garmin units for years and much prefer them to my newer Magellan. The Garmin GPS reception is faster and more reliable, the maps are more detailed and easier to read and navigation seems to be more reliable.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

And just to make it official - Yes, Lifetime Maps is included. That's what the LM in the model number stands for.

I had put a note in the post above to clarify that.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
s1utster wrote:Looks great but no traffic report data :o(

Actually wondered the same, but it says "SmartDetour™ prompts you to route around suddenly slow or stopped freeway traffic and automatically calculates the quickest detour. No fee or subscription required.", which indicates it does have traffic report data.

But more important, it doesn't look like you can use it outside a vehicle (i.e., walking or riding a bike). No sale.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

gettingworse3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gettingworse3

This thing is huge. Got one for my Jeep Patriot, and traded it two weeks later for a smaller Garmin. It works fine, it just takes up half my windshield viewing area.

Anthony Williamson

serenaxox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages serenaxox

what's the return policy?
Thank you.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

If you paid it enough it might but I wouldn't trust the quality of its' work.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

serenaxox wrote:what's the return policy?
Thank you.

Welcome. Our FAQ answers this question pretty well.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

strikerliker

quality posts: 7 Private Messages strikerliker
MarkDaSpark wrote:Actually wondered the same, but it says "SmartDetour™ prompts you to route around suddenly slow or stopped freeway traffic and automatically calculates the quickest detour. No fee or subscription required.", which indicates it does have traffic report data.

But more important, it doesn't look like you can use it outside a vehicle (i.e., walking or riding a bike). No sale.

This feature does NOT "indicate [that] it does have traffic report data.

I have a Magellan, which I love, and it includes this feature. All it means is that as you are sailing down the freeway, if suddenly it creeps to a crawl or stop and go, it detects this (It does not detect the traffic) and offers detours. This feature is still very handy, however.

wharper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wharper

Yes. It will work walking, too.

The limitation is battery life, although there are some solar phone chargers on, dare I say it, Ebay that might help.

And you don't have to leave it on all the time, right? Just pop it on when you ned it.

Soapie0

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Soapie0

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how I ended up with my name in every post and how I change it??

Sincerely,
Aw, heck, you all know who I am

Misty Walker

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

I've had a Magellan 9055-LM for about 2 years now.

The 1700 seems to be the same minus a few features like live traffic and bluetooth (both of which I have found completely useless.)

One of my biggest gripes with Magellan is their support for older products. About 8 months ago, my GPS suddenly slowed down, the voice was choppy, doing POI search would cause the GPS to reboot, entering addresses is slow to respond to key presses.

When I called support, they asked me to reboot about six times, no help. They then told me that a software update has caused this behavior and others are experiencing it as well. When I asked how I can revert to an old version, they said it couldn't be done. When I asked how to do a factory reset, they said it could also not be done. But they did promise that a new software update was coming soon and it would solve the problem.

Well, 3 months later, there was a software upgrade, and it did nothing for any of my issues.

theotheborg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theotheborg

Does this include maps for Europe or the Middle East or Asia? Lifetime maps sounds good --- but just HOW good?

ParadisePete

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ParadisePete

"Lifetime" of course meaning the lifetime of Magellan, not your lifetime (except perhaps for a few unlucky readers.)

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
theotheborg wrote:Does this include maps for Europe or the Middle East or Asia? Lifetime maps sounds good --- but just HOW good?

"Preloaded Maps: US, Canada, Puerto Rico"

I'm sure it's the lifetime of those maps.

hcir

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hcir
ParadisePete wrote:"Lifetime" of course meaning the lifetime of Magellan, not your lifetime (except perhaps for a few unlucky readers.)

Ha!

TheCK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCK
Soapie0 wrote:Can somebody PLEASE tell me how I ended up with my name in every post and how I change it??

Sincerely,
Aw, heck, you all know who I am

You have a signature setup - click on "Your Account" in the upper right corner and change your signature to not include your name - presto

--TheCK

dalealewis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalealewis

Not sure about bikes but it iOnly works at 35 feet or more on my submarine .

Don't be so picky,, do YOU work on a bicycle?

stephencbabcock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stephencbabcock

It mentions a add on wireless camera. Does it have this capability and what is that cost?

Strick28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Strick28

Not a bad deal since it includes Lifetime Maps and you want a GPS to get you from point A to point B. If you want a GPS with really up to date maps (construction and new roads) and the ability to plug in your own routes via waypoints then go for a Garmin. I have used both and Garmins can do so much more...

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

Sweet big screen size - actually makes it an interesting option vs a smart phone unless you have one of those "phablets" that looks like you're steeling a lunch tray when it's in your pocket.

Since it does not appear to include a vent mount a concern I'd have: getting tickets for having it mounted above your dash. (Especially you folks in CA & MN where I understand you can get ticketed for things as small as radar detectors up in the windshield area!)

In any case seems like a good match for RV's as well.

etec55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etec55
dliidlii wrote:If you paid it enough it might but I wouldn't trust the quality of its' work.

Awesome answer!

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5

For all of 30 minutes, which is how long the battery lasts. You would need to find another power source to go beyond that time.

indus49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indus49

If you have a (modern) smartphone, there's absolutely no need for this device. Why have another gadget that needs charging?

Oh ... and it's ironic that the image on the woot home page shows the GPS is "Acquiring Signal" ... in my experience you'll be seeing that a lot every time you use the device.

ljkdhall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljkdhall

They give you a certificate with an activation code on it with the GPS. (I bought a different refurb Magellan not to long back). Once you download their updater software, you link to the website, stick in the code, you're good to go!)

morriea wrote:MOD, could you clarify? FREE Lifetime Maps are included? Not the $99.99 as the website linked above suggests?

Spoons896

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spoons896

IF you live in missouri don't buy this!! the maps are at least 10 years old in most places. it still show 63 as being 2 lane through most of the state and from what magellan keeps telling me they don't have any map updates on the way. just go get a tomtom (same price and a lot i mean a lot better) or as someone else said use your smartphone

PeteCal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PeteCal

Does this allow some form of "Route through"? So if it picks a route I don't like, I can direct it torough another point and it re-routes the way I want.