WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Every week in this space, we’ll take a look at the news and offer our own incisive blend of commentary, analysis, and poop jokes. The news you need, from a voice you can trust, in the 90 seconds you have to spare: that’s Woot Weads the Wire.

VATICAN CITY (UPI) -- The Vatican is now home to two popes, as Pope Francis welcomed his predecessor, retired Pope Benedict XVI, to the former pope's new residence, a spokesman said.

Insiders say Pope Benedict is his normal, super-tidy self, while Pope Francis is already leaving his vestments and hat on the floor. Will these two representatives of God's word ever find a way to live together?

GREENBELT, Md. (UPI) -- NASA says its Spitzer Space Telescope is allowing astronomers to study the atmosphere of "hot Jupiter" planets orbiting in the blistering heat of distant stars.

A spokesperson for science added that nobody wants to look at the planets that aren't so hot, but there was always a way to get funding to stare at any planet considered to be above an 8.

OTTAWA (UPI) -- The Canadian Dairy Commission created a new milk class for mozzarella cheese used on fresh pizzas, a move that is expected to drop the cost of pizza.

Other milk classes include cream, skim, chocolate, and barbarian.

LOS ANGELES (UPI) -- Pop star Justin Timberlake said Monday he will kick off his "20/20 Experience World Tour" Oct. 31 in Montreal.

Backup dancers will presumably include Hugh Downs, Barbara Walters, and the graceful Sam Donaldson as "The Black Swan".

DETROIT (UPI) -- Automaker General Motors said Monday it would recall 38,197 Chevrolet Malibu Eco and Buick hybrid sedans due to a potential fire risk.

Insiders say this means that, if they didn't do it, someone at General Motors was going to get fired.

11829 - Vatican from xiquinhosilva and egg and milk choices from Muffet and Medea Sword from Celtic Shield from Rachel H_were used and remixed under a Creative Commons License.

ozzette50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozzette50

My son turned me onto Woot several years ago. I loved looking at the things that were offered up CHEAP. Now, it seems you've expanded your merchandise and nothing is less than $50 or so. I am on a fixed income and enjoyed the small perks I could find on here, but anymore it looks like Amazon or something, no deals, just lower prices on refurbished items. Too many high priced items to keep the little guy coming back to check for the odd gadget or item that you probably made more on shipping than the actual sale. I am bummed and considering deleting you from my morning reading ritual, unless, by some small chance,you could give me some hope. That or I guess tell me to get lost, whatever...
Thanks for taking the time to listen.
PS: We are even the proud owners of a Woot Monkey, but sorting through the TONS of garbage you now have to find the gems is not worth it.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

I can only assume that whoever did Woot Weeds the Wire is one of the staff who's departed. Too bad, I enjoyed it.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

According to the blog, the author of the WWTW posts are Slydon - at least for the last month or so.

pooflady

Moueska wrote:According to the blog, the author of the WWTW posts are Slydon - at least for the last month or so.

Maybe he was just too busy this week.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
pooflady wrote:Maybe he was just too busy this week.

But. But. But... what about the one with the Marvel/DC joke at the end? I thought that was this week...

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5441975&pageindex=1&replycount=1

pooflady

Moueska wrote:But. But. But... what about the one with the Marvel/DC joke at the end? I thought that was this week...

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5441975&pageindex=1&replycount=1

You're right! Somehow I missed it. I'm glad I was worried over nothing.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

pooflady wrote:You're right! Somehow I missed it. I'm glad I was worried over nothing.

Yeah, I'm still here, and so is Jason, and so are pretty much most of the other writers, including a very funny new guy who just joined our staff last week.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.