WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Beats Solo HD Headphones

Your ears aren't the outdoorsy type. They don't like to spend time out in the fresh air. That's why the always seem so awkward when you get a haircut. They like to be covered up, to be hidden, to spend time in their rooms listening to moody records. Give your ears what they want with these sweet Beats Audio headphones!
Beats Audio official site

bloodypenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bloodypenguin

There are lots of negative reviews of the Beats Solo from people who know about headphones. Calling them over-priced for the poor sound quality.

I am one of those people.

Do yourself a favor. Go right to Amazon. Type in V-Moda M80 (White), it is on sale for $132 right now! Comes with the same controls as the Beats, but MUCH better sound quality. It is one of the highest ranked headphones on Head-fi.com.

Plus, if you actually care about form as well as function, IMO they look better than the Beats.

Happy listening!

carlcampbelljr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carlcampbelljr
bloodypenguin wrote:There are lots of negative reviews of the Beats Solo from people who know about headphones. Calling them over-priced for the poor sound quality.

I agree overpriced junk. If you want a value that is made in the USA and costs less than what beats cost pick up a pair of Grado SR80i headphones. about $100 and when played side by side with some beats they sound so much better.

brennivin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brennivin

Skip these and go SOL Republic. They're ex-Monster guys who knew they could make better headphones than Beats for less and did exactly that. I swear by my Tracks HD. They even have a model for more audiophile, flat response fans (the Ultra, which I use in the studio).

As for Grado comparisons - Yes, they sound great, yes, they can be comparably priced, but they are ALL open backed. Which means you don't want them in your open or cube office, you don't want them out on the street, you don't want them on the bus, etc. They're great for home listening, but not if you want to leave the house.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

Don't buy any speaker, or headphone that does not give you frequency response, Total Harmonic Distortion, and Sound Pressure Level specifications.

When they don't give you these specs, they are peddling any crap they can foist off on you, just to make a buck!

Sorry you fashionistas, I don't give a [MOD: snipped out] what headphones look like, I care what they SOUND like!

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

xhopesfall24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xhopesfall24
bloodypenguin wrote:There are lots of negative reviews of the Beats Solo from people who know about headphones. Calling them over-priced for the poor sound quality.

Do yourself a favor. Go right to Amazon. Type in V-Moda M80 (White), it is on sale for $132 right now! Comes with the same controls as the Beats, but MUCH better sound quality. It is one of the highest ranked headphones on Head-fi.com.

Plus, if you actually care about form as well as function, IMO they look better than the Beats.

Happy listening!

I have yet to listen to any of these "Beats by Dre" line up that sounds any better than $30 headphones. You pay for the name, not a good product. I can't believe Dre would allow his name to be put on this garbage and sold for exuberant prices. He knows what a good set sound like.

mahzorimipod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mahzorimipod

Audio Technica ATH-M50s are like 120 something on amazon right now. Another good choice and a 4chan favorite

JenDupre

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JenDupre
xhopesfall24 wrote:I have yet to listen to any of these "Beats by Dre" line up that sounds any better than $30 headphones. You pay for the name, not a good product. I can't believe Dre would allow his name to be put on this garbage and sold for exuberant prices. He knows what a good set sound like.

Because there is nothing more gangsta than getting people to pay 200+ dollars for $15 headphones.

Word.

VooDooPC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VooDooPC
mahzorimipod wrote:Audio Technica ATH-M50s are like 120 something on amazon right now. Another good choice and a 4chan favorite

A 4chan favorite? I think I'll go return mine after learning that.

Stevo32792

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Stevo32792
bloodypenguin wrote:

I'll be that guy that suggests the Sony MDR-V6's. They have their flaws, but for $65 they're pretty nice headphones.

xlaxplaya

quality posts: 4 Private Messages xlaxplaya

I own and enjoy the Studios, but I've heard a lot of bad things about the build and sound quality of the Solos. They kind of give the other headphones in the Beats line a bad name that they don't deserve. I'd skip this one if I were you.

Hello, beautiful.

nskripchun

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nskripchun
mahzorimipod wrote:Audio Technica ATH-M50s are like 120 something on amazon right now. Another good choice and a 4chan favorite

Yep, Audio Technica makes good stuff. Even the Audio-Technica ATH-M30, at $43, will give you better sound quality than these BEATS SOLO headphones.

Sorry woot. At $159, this isn't a good deal. Maybe at 1/6 of the price, I'd buy them as a gift for a nephew or niece who ISN'T an audiophile...

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

but... but... but beats will make me cool!

Are you all telling me that headphone backed by some famous guy, that are really expensive, are NOT quality?

*sniff* All the kids on the corner lied to me. *sniff*

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

teemunknee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teemunknee

Man, for the longest time I thought Dre had become a farmer. Little did I know they were headphones.

Remember, if you're too open-minded, your brains could fall out.

teemunknee.org

teemunknee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teemunknee

But seriously, go with Audio Technica over these. They're cheaper and noticeably better in sound quality.

Remember, if you're too open-minded, your brains could fall out.

teemunknee.org

adumb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adumb

i really don't know why everyone is complaining...i've had mine for about 6 months now and have NO complaints. i found mine on amazon for around $130 and they were the older model. they sound better than any headphone i've ever had (mr. sony guy).

anyone bashing these headphones is jealous they don't have a pair. they don't want to buy them because they're pricey and think it will make them look like a teenager. using the display at walmart, target or best buy isn't going to show you what these can do...

ladainia414

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladainia414

i tried a pair of these and the studios(friend has both and i borrowed). i am just a typical music listener and was wonder if i should upgrade.but wow, after using both a few days, i couldn't wait to go back to my headphones. maybe its that my ears are not as good as others at fine detail, but i really do enjoy my cheap pair of sennheiser hd 202 more than both those beats. though, i have sampled some other headphones that did sound better then mine, but i really would buy the sennheisers over the beats if they were the only two headphones in the world and the same price....hell, even my skullcandy earbuds and old lowriders(RIP) sound just as good.

maybe im crazy...

jimbolodisc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimbolodisc

Everyone has been spot on with their recommendations, except for the 1 guy that thinks these Beats headphones are actually good. Jealous? No. You might be the one looking for validation for your horrible purchase though.

I haven't tried V-Moda, but I do own some Grado's (as mentioned already, open back so not always a great choice for your environment), and have used Sony 7506's as well as some Beyerdynamic DT 770's. SOL sounds promising but I haven't tried them out. ATH-M50's are next on my purchase list; they are pretty much an industry standard in the studio alongside the Sony 7506's.

I remember grabbing a deal on some Sennheisers once for less than $30, and I'd wager they sound better than these Beats.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Chalk up another vote for overpriced. I wouldn't go so far as to call them "junk," but they're far from worth the price they get for them.

And kudos to yous guyses recommendations. A lot of great alternatives mentioned here. Even some cheaper Sennheisers are certainly decent buys for the money spent, jimbol. Probably about equal to the Dre's at 1/4 the price.

nleksan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nleksan

I've been doing audio recording, editing, and mixing semi-professionally for a while now (not my day job, but more of a paid hobby?), and I've always been very much "into" audio gear/equipment from home theater stuff to "listening" speakers to true monitors, but headphones are perhaps the area in which I have the most experience (and is how I started down the money hole that is "high end" audio :/ ).

I use headphones every day, either for the aforementioned "professional" reasons or simply for pleasure listening, while gaming on PC or watching a movie (when I don't want to distract others, because I can't always watch films in my home theater)...
14 years of this has led me to the following opinions regarding what is good and what is not, experience-backed but still opinions.

EXAMPLES OF GOOD HEADPHONES:
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700, ATH-A700, ATH-AD900, ATH-A900X, ATH-M50(/S)
- Grado SR60/80, SR225/325, RS2i/RS1i, PS1000, GS1000 (I currently own and use all of the aforementioned Grado's, and the RS1i's, GS1000's, and PS1000's are 3 of my Top 5 Headphones Ever(tm))
- Sennheiser HD428-and-Up, although you have to get into the 6xx series to really get good sound (not a fan of Senn's myself, too much sibilance and over-emphasis on the highs)
- Beyerdynamic
- AKG
- Koss
- Denon
- Sony (higher-end, MDR-V6 and up)

EXAMPLES OF TERRIBLE HEADPHONES:
- Apple anything
- BEATS by Dre (perhaps the most offensive headphones I've ever heard; honestly, go out and spend $20 on some Sony MDR-V150's at Wal-Mart and you'll have better headphones)
- ANYTHING from Bose
- ANYTHING "Gaming" such as Razer, Roccat, etc
- ANYTHING that is "surround sound"
- ANYTHING that uses more than one driver per cup
- ANYTHING that is "USB Only"

Now, some USB headphones are actually decent for online gaming, where audio fidelity is not important but exaggerated sounds are, and where you need to be able to communicate with others. That doesn't make them good headphones, it just means they are suitable for the purpose for which they were intended.

BEATS headphones, well, they are the most overpriced, ridiculous, awful-sounding, and poorly-constructed headphones over $20 I've ever had the misfortune of hearing. I dissected a set only to find that my aforementioned MDR-V150's are actually BETTER in terms of build quality and materials used.

WHAT MAKES BEATS SPECIAL?
- NOTHING
WHAT MAKES THEM SOUND DIFFERENT?
- They simply have a software audio processor (the cheapest one available BTW) that artificially "boosts" Bass by ~30%. That means you have hardware-"equalized" headphones and nothing you can do to fix them!!!

STAY AWAY!

zeeman1119

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeeman1119

I've personally been doing pro audio for a few years and have come to love my pair of Sure SRH440s. Flat response so you can actually hear your audio instead of a distorted sound like beats make. And I have tried beats extensively, a friend has a pair, and they are simple terrible compared to almost any other pair of headphones over $30. I've literally used $15 earbuds that i prefer to Beats, and they are really bad too.

Personally I use my 440s when I'm DJing or when I'm hired to mic a performance. I typically use them to do some ruff EQing on the fly.

And to adumb, you really don't need to be attacking anyone who doesn't share your opinion on consumer level headphones. Some of the people here that have said that the Beats are bad have actually been trained in audio engineering and really know what good sound is. Beats simply aren't good sound.

lwang

quality posts: 30 Private Messages lwang

Dr Dre is a poz3r, he ain't even no doctor, moar like a kwak, so all it will do is get yoar head stuffed. If you want to have real street cred, you got to get muffs from Run from Run DMC. He's da rea deal.

irosale1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irosale1

This would be a deal at $15.00 Because that is all they are worth. And I would not even use them. I would probably give them as gift to a young friend or so.
Stick to brand names that KNOW about sound. I work at a University I was able to try a few Beats models. They are just loud trash.

davemays123

quality posts: 6 Private Messages davemays123

Beats: leading the audio industry in... having a red cord!

Buy something from Grado, Sennheiser, audio technica, etc. Your ears will thank you.

sleepylaughter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleepylaughter

My wife and I are used to using earbuds at the included ipod/iphone levels. We tried some of the Beats headphones for the first time at Target and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of sound (take into mind that neither of us are 'professional' music listeners or audiophiles or had 'good' headphones previously).

I wanted a headset for computer gaming and would need an adapter to use Beats with my computer so I just bought a Steelseries off amazon that fit my needs better.

My wife loved the look of the purple Solo HD beats and purchased one. She listens to a lot of dance music, which the Beats work well with, and was very pleased with them on the ride home from the store plugged into her iphone and later on when she listened to music on her computer.

However, the on-ear headphones made her head hurt after 30 minutes (I have this same issue which is why I never buy on-ear headphones anymore). She tried the headphones with her computer games (she plays the Sims) and was again upset b/c she couldn't really 'hear' anything well due to the boosted bass (note she has built in monitor speakers so isn't exactly used to anything better).

Within 2 hours she decided to return them to the store and get the bose over ear headphones, which were about the same price, sounded better, didn't hurt her ears, and had more controls. The only reason she didn't get the bose over ear originally was b/c they don't come in purple.

I feel getting headphones 'you like' is a personal choice as you're the only one that can decide what audio experience is satisfactory for you. We've read a lot of positive reviews about the other headphones mentioned by the other posters for technical reasons we don't really care about.

I don't think Beats works well as a primary set of headphones unless all you do is listen to that genre of music and decide the look is worth the price tag. If you're the type of person that has multiple headphones, then I could see this as an ok addition if you liked the increased bass. If you 'must' have a solo HD, the price on this sale is the best I've seen and for our personal tastes, the Beats still 'look' very pretty.

waclark57

quality posts: 1 Private Messages waclark57

They were $102 just the other day. Far better sounding than anything beats puts out.

davemays123

quality posts: 6 Private Messages davemays123
adumb wrote:i really don't know why everyone is complaining...i've had mine for about 6 months now and have NO complaints. i found mine on amazon for around $130 and they were the older model. they sound better than any headphone i've ever had (mr. sony guy).

anyone bashing these headphones is jealous they don't have a pair. they don't want to buy them because they're pricey and think it will make them look like a teenager. using the display at walmart, target or best buy isn't going to show you what these can do...

No offense intended, because if you are shopping at walmart, target or bestbuy for your headphones, beats probably are the best sounding headphones you've ever heard. That doesn't mean they sound great or are even good for the money.

Just because it's the tastiest burger available at Mcdonalds, doesn't mean it is the best available anywhere.

Try heading to a decent audio shop and you will likely be surprised at the quality of headphones you can get for similar money. The detail and balance you can get in the $150 range far exceeds what you will get with beats. You will hear things in your music you never knew were there.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a know-it-all and maybe you have tried other high end cans and you really really like bass and don't want to use an equalizer so Beats are the best for you. That is your prerogative. Just don't think that these are the end-all be-all of headphones or that people don't like them because they are "pricey". Low-end Grados for example cost 80-200 and sound way better than Beats (even the $80 ones), and the high-end ones can go up to $1500+, so $160 is toward the low end of the scale for quality headphones.

lunaratom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lunaratom

Add me to the group of listeners who don't buy the Beats hype. If all youre wanting out of your headphones is heavy bass and volume then you might be satisfied, otherwise take your money elsewhere. Youll get far better sound, build quality and enjoyment from your purchase.

Little outside this price range but if youre in the $200-300 market I personally love my Martin Logan Mikros 90s. Or if you prefer something a little "softer" (the Martin Logans have a stronger midrange which I like) the Bowers & Wilkins P5s are fantastic too.

jethroboom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jethroboom

Happy listening!

This

jethroboom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jethroboom
lwang wrote:Dr Dre is a poz3r, he ain't even no doctor, moar like a kwak, so all it will do is get yoar head stuffed. If you want to have real street cred, you got to get muffs from Run from Run DMC. He's da rea deal.

How do I downvote this gibberish?