WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

U-Boat Men's Watches

When I wear my U-Boat watch, I get the urge to skip along the neighborhood, humming and singing to myself. I can't help it. My love and passion for my U-Boat watch is just so strong. That's all. It's just simple, perfectly natural love between a person and a watch.
U-Boat official site

Quality Posts

• (3:48 PM, 5/13/2013) thelocker attests to being on an actual U-Boat

sunbc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sunbc

Very nice watches. Usual price on this is around 2400-3000 depending on the combination. Although, the movement is decent, for the same price you can get some other decent watches, and these don't hold value as well as other makes.

johnlafreniere

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnlafreniere

Could someone just make an app that lets me look at my phone to see what time it is so I wouldn't have to keep spending so muck money on watches?

bfcnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfcnet

Why spend that kind of money on a watch when a G-Shock is way more practical? You can get a G-shock with a moon phase and tide graph chart for under $100.

michaeljflick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaeljflick

Do the watches come with authentic U-boats for that price?

3eyore

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 3eyore

Just another overpriced overpackaged Valjoux 7750. Considering that the wholesale cost of the movement is circa $400, what are you paying all of that money for?

That said, the stem/pusher arrangement is great for lefties.

How does that weird guard thing over the start/stop pusher work, anyway?

joecooool

quality posts: 23 Private Messages joecooool
3eyore wrote:Just another overpriced overpackaged Valjoux 7750. Considering that the wholesale cost of the movement is circa $400, what are you paying all of that money for?

To be fair, most watches with that movement retail for between $1,000 and $2,000, so this price isn't that far out of line.

However, you better really like it if you buy it, because the resale on this off brand really sucks.

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
joecooool wrote:To be fair, most watches with that movement retail for between $1,000 and $2,000, so this price isn't that far out of line.

However, you better really like it if you buy it, because the resale on this off brand really sucks.

Let's face it — the resale value of many watches suck...unless you buy a brand either with a cost in the stratosphere or one that invests about $25M a year in advertising — and in that case, you won't touch one of 'em with a 7750 movement for this price.

FYI: for folks "not into watches" — the Valjoux 7750 (aka ETA 7750) — is an automatic chronograph. The cost of watches with an automatic movement rise in relation to (among other things) its complications. The 7750 is an automatic with three subdials plus a date wheel. Although a lot of higher-end watchmakers use it as a base and perform proprietary custom touches to it, in stock form it's perhaps the best movement you can buy for a relatively decent price.

j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647

I paid 1799 for my Timex. The only difference is that I had a decimal point in there......

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

I have seen fake U-Boat watches for around $100. Be careful there are Chinese imitations out there and you want to be sure the watch is genuine. These are probably real but you should still confirm the model is genuine.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mybestuser1 wrote:I have seen fake U-Boat watches for around $100. Be careful there are Chinese imitations out there and you want to be sure the watch is genuine. These are probably real but you should still confirm the model is genuine.

We wouldn't risk our reputation by selling counterfeit items.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Parodius

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Parodius
johnlafreniere wrote:Could someone just make an app that lets me look at my phone to see what time it is so I wouldn't have to keep spending so muck money on watches?

Watches are a jewelry piece, one of the few masculine pieces you can wear without looking like a Jersey Shore wannabe or a rapper.

You don't have to spend a ton of money on a watch. Those super expensive watches don't hold time any better than the cheaper watches. They do tend to have more complex movements which require greater craftsmen ship. That's probably the only major difference someone would notice with a cheap and expensive watch, is the movement. Aside from that people get very hung up on brand names to show off, that's really what watches are about now. But there are some people who enjoy the craftsmen ship involved.

I prefer wearing a watch because I think it looks good. Also it's convenient and very quick. I used to use my phone but the Steve Jobs phone has a horrible battery life, I'd rather carry the watch rather than risk draining the battery especially if it's during a time when I need to be available and don't have a charger readily available which is all of the time.

thecircuitbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecircuitbox

I have two of these but I always need more.

ThaAftrmath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ThaAftrmath

Finally a commenter that knows watches. These things are massively overpriced even with these sale prices. Pass on these and get a used Omega Speedmaster Pro for around the same amount of money!

3eyore wrote:Just another overpriced overpackaged Valjoux 7750. Considering that the wholesale cost of the movement is circa $400, what are you paying all of that money for?

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86

Not all uses the Valjoux/ETA7750, a few of these models comes with Valgranges A07.211 (note the further date window relative to the center of the watch and how the movement looks like through the display caseback). This is a more expensive/larger movement suited for a larger watche. Even a few of higher end brands e.g.: Chopard uses this base movemement.

For the price it is asking for, it's actually worth it. This is the going rate for a second hand or used U Boat watches.

A used Seamaster Chronograph in Titanium will command slightly higher prices than these.

I am contemplating to get the orange/black version.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

I'll consider it when it is 99% of the list price like the Invicta and Swizz Legends.

mvar32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvar32
ThunderThighs wrote:We wouldn't risk our reputation by selling counterfeit items.

Do these come with a certificate of authenticity?

Tsurugi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tsurugi

So I'll bite: What makes these worth so much? There are people who don't have that much money to spend on food in a year. We artificially create value in worthless things while others starve. The fact that excess like this exists is honestly pretty sickening.

kyrasym

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyrasym
mvar32 wrote:Do these come with a certificate of authenticity?

Yea I'm interested to know as well if this comes with the valid authenticity papers, warranty card etc.

spmcgivern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spmcgivern
Tsurugi wrote:So I'll bite: What makes these worth so much? There are people who don't have that much money to spend on food in a year. We artificially create value in worthless things while others starve. The fact that excess like this exists is honestly pretty sickening.

Everyone has a guilty pleasure. No need to poop on everyone else's parade just because you don't like expensive watches.

lobo81865

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865
kyrasym wrote:Yea I'm interested to know as well if this comes with the valid authenticity papers, warranty card etc.

I'll stick with my $20.00 Timex I bought at Wal-Shart.

highvolt82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highvolt82
Tsurugi wrote:So I'll bite: What makes these worth so much? There are people who don't have that much money to spend on food in a year. We artificially create value in worthless things while others starve. The fact that excess like this exists is honestly pretty sickening.

Everything we do is in excess. Unless you donate all of your spare money and time to charity, you really can't complain about people enjoying cool things with the money they earned.

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

I would expect to pay $50-150 for a watch like this. This watch is no different from watches in this price range except the manufacturers have decided to overvalue the product to attract persons with large amounts of money to spend.

Citizen EcoDrive watches are excellent in that they never need winding and never need batteries. They get their power from any light source, even indirect sunlight. And they cost a whole lot less and are a damn site more attractive.

Just my dos centavos.

Canthros

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Canthros
gwpriester wrote:This watch is no different from watches in this [$50-150] price range

That's not, strictly speaking, true. You're not going to find a self-winding, mechanical watch for very much under $200. And, when you do, it won't have a date window, sub dials, etc. You'd be doing very well to find an automatic watch that has a hacking movement and is hand-windable at that price point, even with a Chinese movement. You can buy quartz watches all day long at that price, of course, but a quartz movement isn't really the same thing.

gwpriester wrote:Citizen EcoDrive watches [...] never need batteries.

I'd be willing to bet that this isn't entirely true, either. At least, I have a Seiko Kinetic, which is a nice enough watch and a good timekeeper, but it absolutely has batteries. I'd be positively shocked if Citizen's EcoDrive didn't have batteries of some sort. As long as that's so, they'll need replacing sooner or later, when they stop holding a charge.

All that said, I think there's a lot of truth to the arguments that these are too much money for too little value for a lot of people (including me!), and, from a purely functional standpoint, a quartz movement will be a better timepiece for most.

(And, of course, you'd be paying a premium for the brand, relative to a hypothetical, comparable watch with a similarly-sized discount. )

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

U-Boat? Does this mean that I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant themed items are now fashionable?

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
Tsurugi wrote:We artificially create value in worthless things while others starve.

You might as well post this for pretty much everything Woot sells: Dyson, Roomba...

asgarbe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asgarbe
Canthros wrote:I'd be positively shocked if Citizen's EcoDrive didn't have batteries of some sort. As long as that's so, they'll need replacing sooner or later, when they stop holding a charge.

This is true. My wife and I each have EcoDrives 7 or 10 years old. They of course have batteries. Both of ours have died, i.e. won't hold a charge. And replacing the battery is $100+.
Until I found that out, we loved them. Now they're just sitting on the dresser waiting for me to pony up to send them in for repair.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

I once bought an 'automatic' watch for under $150... it lasted about two weeks.

But I'll wait until Woot gives me some around 300-600 that aren't huge.

marknixon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marknixon

This is a status symbol. Nothing more. If you are into making a status statement, buy the watch. It's like buying a BMW or Mercedes. Nothing pragmatic about it whatsoever. It is simply making a statement.
My statements are made with words. Not objects. They mean more.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
gwpriester wrote:Citizen EcoDrive watches are excellent in that they never need winding and never need batteries. They get their power from any light source, even indirect sunlight. And they cost a whole lot less and are a damn site more attractive.

Just my dos centavos.

That's old skool. Citizen now has atomic ecodrive...people who likes to keep their watch 10 minutes fast need not apply.

ugrasse2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ugrasse2
ThunderThighs wrote:We wouldn't risk our reputation by selling counterfeit items.

What reputation? You're bagging c/r/a/p and selling it.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
j647 wrote:I paid 1799 for my Timex. The only difference is that I had a decimal point in there......

Best laugh of the morning!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
marknixon wrote:This is a status symbol. Nothing more. If you are into making a status statement, buy the watch. It's like buying a BMW or Mercedes. Nothing pragmatic about it whatsoever. It is simply making a statement.
My statements are made with words. Not objects. They mean more.

Status symbol assumes that your associates are impressed with a $1,700 piece of flash on your wrist. I am surrounded with people who feed orphans in Peru and help with heating assistance and credit card debt in the USA. They are not impressed with such a watch.

Father Joe Walijewski wore a Timex. When he died 5 years ago, the entire city of Lima, Peru came out to carry his casket through the streets, showering it with flower petals. He's also a candidate for sainthood! Not bad for a poor guy with a Timex.

frjoesguild.org to see the video!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

mercator1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mercator1

You would think a watch, named after a submersible, and costing $1800 would be water resistant well past 100 meters. I don't see the value.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17

Maybe I'm being oversensitive,but I'm kind of put off by anything named after a weapon that killed thousands of innocent people in the service of pure evil.I'd be creeped out to have one of these on my wrist.

eggrob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eggrob
mvar32 wrote:Do these come with a certificate of authenticity?

Does the certificate of authenticity come with a certificate of authenticity?

disposed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disposed

$1800, only water resistant to 100m not even waterproof for a watch called the uboat? What a piece of crap.

erasure101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages erasure101
gwpriester wrote:I would expect to pay $50-150 for a watch like this. This watch is no different from watches in this price range except the manufacturers have decided to overvalue the product to attract persons with large amounts of money to spend.

Citizen EcoDrive watches are excellent in that they never need winding and never need batteries. They get their power from any light source, even indirect sunlight. And they cost a whole lot less and are a damn site more attractive.

Just my dos centavos.

i'd like to see you find an automatic chronograph for $50-$150.

ecodrives are very nice (i have two myself), but they're still pieces of electronics. the capacitors and batteries will eventually fail and need replacing. while batteries are easy to replace, if there is something other than the battery that fails the entire circuit generally needs to be replaced. on the other hand, mechanical watches can be repaired. for ubiquitous movements like the 7750, replacement parts are readily available. a mechanical watch can be a family heirloom for this reason, unlike a quartz watch.

you can get a great affordable japanese automatic from the likes of citizen, seiko, and orient in the $50-$150 range. as good as they are, the 7750 is a great movement. it's leaps and bounds better than the movements you find in affordable japanese watches. however, you can find cheaper (and imho better looking) watches that utilize it than the u-boats offered here.

sunbc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sunbc
gwpriester wrote:I would expect to pay $50-150 for a watch like this. This watch is no different from watches in this price range except the manufacturers have decided to overvalue the product to attract persons with large amounts of money to spend.

Just my dos centavos.

Absolutely wrong and stupid.

fumduq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fumduq
Canthros wrote:I'd be willing to bet that this isn't entirely true, either. At least, I have a Seiko Kinetic, which is a nice enough watch and a good timekeeper, but it absolutely has batteries. I'd be positively shocked if Citizen's EcoDrive didn't have batteries of some sort. As long as that's so, they'll need replacing sooner or later, when they stop holding a charge.

It's true (that the Eco-drive uses a battery). From my current experience with Eco-drive watches, I had one in the drawer for too long and it died. I've replaced the capacitor hoping that was why I couldn't get the watch going even after days of direct sunlight only to find that there is a non-user-replaceable battery obviously behind it that appears to have gone dead. So it's now a case of whether to toss the citizen, or send it in for what is likely to be a repair costing around 50% of what market value of the watch is.

Pawn shop?