Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3527 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of good reviews (4 out of 5 stars) over at costco.com

jthebird1977

quality posts: 27 Private Messages jthebird1977
conanthelibrarian wrote:Lots of good reviews (4 out of 5 stars) over at costco.com

Most of those appear to be for a different model: KX-TG7744S.

the few that specify today's woot are pretty poor. the bundles look the same. anyone know if they are?

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

acanarelli

quality posts: 227 Private Messages acanarelli

About 7 or 8 months ago, Woot had a very nice telephone set on sale (much like this one and at about the same price). I didn't need a new telephone set, as the one I had was still going strong but I just couldn't let it get away. So I bought it knowing that telephones don't last forever. About 2 months ago the telephone set I had went "south" but I had the replacement on hand. So I'm going to buy this one as my next replacement telephone. Think ahead!

jthebird1977

Have been looking at cordless phones. I like the headset option. Anyone have experience with the link to cell feature?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jthebird1977 wrote:Most of those appear to be for a different model: KX-TG7744S.

the few that specify today's woot are pretty poor. the bundles look the same. anyone know if they are?

Look at the Amazon page, looks like 7741 is one handset, 7742 is two handsets, and so on.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jthebird1977

ThunderThighs wrote:Look at the Amazon page, looks like 7741 is one handset, 7742 is two handsets, and so on.

Yes it appears so. However, the model of todays woot is KX-TG254SK, not 774x. I probably wasn't clear in my questioning... are the 774x models the same as the 254sk?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jthebird1977 wrote:Yes it appears so. However, the model of todays woot is KX-TG254SK, not 774x. I probably wasn't clear in my questioning... are the 774x models the same as the 254sk?

Well, I'm guessing they're related somehow because the manual lists them all on the front page. If you look at page 4, it looks like the 254SK is the 4 handset model for some odd reason.

What do you think?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ialdasoro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ialdasoro
jthebird1977 wrote:Have been looking at cordless phones. I like the headset option. Anyone have experience with the link to cell feature?

Yes. I have similar Panasonic set and that feature is great. Handset more comfortable than my iPhone. The handset even announces the caller ID on my iPhone and plays its ringtones

dbdigital

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dbdigital
ThunderThighs wrote:Well, I'm guessing they're related somehow because the manual lists them all on the front page. If you look at page 4, it looks like the 254SK is the 4 handset model for some odd reason.

What do you think?

A few reviews on Panasonic's site:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/KX-TG254SK?t=reviews

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12

Seems like a strange comment to make.......

it's crystal clear and easy to read even from a "short" distance away.

Was that a typo or marketing doublespeak?

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga

I have the previous generation (KX-TG7645) which replaced my older KX-TH111S (non-DECT Link-to-Cell model). I am very happy with it and it's a great addition for households with cell phones that have weak/poor signal in some areas (leave the cell where it has good signal and "extend" your reception through the base unit and handsets)

Some nice features that this and my model share are the use of recharageable AAA batteries in the handset (cheap/easy to replace), and the ability to get a cell phonebook via Bluetooth.

Be careful to read the manual about limitations, though.

For example, while you can use a Bluetooth headset with the system, you can only use it for landline. And while you can link two cell phones to the system, only one can be used through the system at any given time.

I currently don't have a landline so I just use mine for the Link-to-Cell feature, though I may wire it into my Skype-to-Phone adapter at some point.

sdc100

quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

I've had several Panasonic DECT phones and they're excellent. Except for one major flaw -- which may or may not be a deal breaker for you -- it has pretty much every feature you'll need (SEE UPDATE). Here are some thoughts:

1) Sound quality is excellent. I've never experienced any dropped calls or interference, despite being surrounded by lots of electronic equipment and other cordless phones. Such is life in a New York City apartment. Range is good. I live on the 4th floor but am able to take a handset on the sidewalk and make calls. The base is deep inside my apartment, far from the window. That's pretty amazing given all the metal and concrete in NYC buildings.

2) The taking Caller ID it's very good. The speech is loud and clear, and is activated on each handset. It reads most English words very well. Spanish and Chinese names are not as successful. Regardless, it was the main reason we bought a Panasonic and we love it. It's great to not have to remember numbers or to run to a display.

3) The block caller list it's also a godsend. You can program in 30 numbers that will always get a busy signal when they call. Your phone will ring once letting you know someone tried to call. you can then look at the Caller ID and decide whether to pick up or let the Caller hear a busy signal. Some people don't like the fact that it rings you at all. Unidens, for example, don't ring you if the number is on their Block list. While it's nice not to be bothered, you run the risk of not knowing that a Blocked caller tried to call unless you check your caller ID. I personally don't mind the single ring.

4) I also love the fact that you can give callers their own ringtones. My immediate family members, for example, get Beethoven.

5) I like the fact that the directory is shared. That means that a number entered into one handset is automatically accessible by all handsets. With some phones, you need to manually flag the numbers that are globally accessible. That's actually a good thing if individual family members want to keep some numbers private but I found it inconvenient.

There is a negative however. Since the phonebook is stored in the main base unit and not in the handset, that means you have no access to it if there is power outage. For example, when NYC had its big blackout, I was unable to access the numbers to call on my cellphone.

6) It has an excellent alarm clock function. It's very loud and can be programmed to repeat. Although you only have one alarm (per handset), the alarm has a date. That means you can program in an alarm years in advance!

7) The white backlit LCD is great and very legible. much better contrast than the Orange/Amber of most displays.

8) Uses ordinary NiMH AAA batteries instead of proprietary battery packs. That means you can easily replace them when they no longer hold a charge. Much cheaper too.

Unfortunately, it also uses a VERY dumb time-based charger. Instead of intelligently measuring when the batteries are actually charged, it seems to base this on how much time the handset is in the charger. For example, whenever you put new batteries in, the display tells you to charge it four 7 hours. The problem is that you can fully charge the batteries, take them out and then put them again, and the stupid display will still say that they need to be charged 7 hours!

[LOOKS LIKE THE BELOW HAS BEEN FIXED. PLEASE IGNORE THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPHS. READ THE POST AFTER THIS ONE FOR MORE INFO]

HERE IS THE POSSIBLE DEAL BREAKER

For some stupid reason, you can NOT screen calls on the handset!!! We've had many cordless answering machine phones and Panasonics are the only ones that can't screen calls on the handsets. That means you wouldn't know know what the message is unless you're sitting by the base, where the speaker is. You'll have to guess whether to pick up the call based on the Caller ID alone, and listen to the message after the Caller hands up. With my Uniden, I merely had to press a button on the handset to screen the call. This can be a problem if you have a large house or yard. It was almost a deal breaker for us since we have two large apartments in the same building, sharing the same cordless phones. That means we can't screen calls most of the time since we're usually not near the base, even when we're in that apartment.

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga
sdc100 wrote:For some stupid reason, you can NOT screen calls on the handset!!!

Page 49 of the manual seems to say you can screen calls on handset and/or base, so perhaps this has been addressed?

Call screening
While a caller is leaving a message, you can
listen to the call through the unit’s speaker.
Handset
To adjust the speaker volume, press MjN or
MkN repeatedly. You can answer the call by
pressing M N. Call screening can be set for
each handset. The default setting is “On”.
1 MMENUN#310
2 MbN: Select the desired setting. a
MSAVEN a MOFFN
Base unit*1
*1 KX-TG7741 series: page 3
To adjust the speaker volume, press MjN or
MkN repeatedly. You can answer the call by
pressing MSP-PHONEN.
To turn off while screening a call, press MkN
repeatedly until the sounds goes off.
R If you adjust the speaker volume while
listening to messages or having a
conversation, the speaker volume for call
screening is turned on again.

metagg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metagg

These look like my first cell phone in 1999. Does it come with Snake?

sdc100

bhiga wrote:Page 49 of the manual seems to say you can screen calls on handset and/or base, so perhaps this has been addressed?

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for this correction!!! It sounds like they indeed have corrected this flaw, which many Amazon users complained about with their old phones. What's more, it sounds like each handset can be individually programmed too have call screening on or off. That's great if you don't want to be disturbed.

Because of this feature, I may jump on this Woot even though I already have a great Panasonic and Uniden systems.

THANKS.

spartan112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spartan112

I purchased the KX-TG7644M from Woot a few months ago and have really liked it.

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/panasonic-4-handset-w-link-to-cell

Friends that have seen it really like it as well, mostly for the link-to-cell and how well it works. I'd like to recommend this to them, but just wanted to see if anyone knew of anywhere this model comes up short from the model I have given the lower price (other than not looking as cool). The link-to-cell will be pretty much the only thing used.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

Is this better than the pansonic KX-TG7644M that woot had a couple of months ago? That one seem to have more features, but was introduced an year earlier. Amazon has that for pretty cheap refurbished

edit..
just saw post above....but still doesn't indicate diff between the two, besides the dialpad on the base.

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot

I see that there is a Wall Mounting Adapter for the base unit. Can the three "satellite" units also be wall-mounted?

sdc100

sdc100 wrote:
2) The taking Caller ID it's very good. The speech is loud and clear, and is activated on each handset. It reads most English words very well. Spanish and Chinese names are not as successful. Regardless, it was the main reason we bought a Panasonic and we love it. It's great to not have to remember numbers or to run to a display

HERE'S A TIP

You can customize the Talking Caller ID. Normally the feature simply converts the text displayed into speech. You can however change the text if the entry is in your phonebook. For example, if your friend Babalooma works at Citibank and calls you from the office, it will display and say Citibank. However, you can save the number into the phonebook under the name Bablooma. The next time your phone sees her number, it will display and say Babalooma. This is great for callers with non-English names, which the phone sometimes mangles. For example, I have an Asian friend whose last name is Tsui. Needless to say, the phone says something unintelligible. I entered his name as 'sway' (some people pronounce it 'sway' while others say, 'sue-we').

sdc100

ginawoot wrote:I see that there is a Wall Mounting Adapter for the base unit. Can the three "satellite" units also be wall-mounted?

I have an older model and all the satellite chargers have two notches in back which seems to mount on two screws. You can see this on the upper right hand of page 11 in the manual.

rookaloo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rookaloo

I have an older unit which also has 30 call blocks. THAT'S NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!

Julia Byrd Bishop

VeeRay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeeRay

OK, I'll ask the dumb question to which I fear I already know the answer: if you live somewhere (like I do) where the cell reception is just not good, this won't help you out, right? It will let you leave your mobile wherever in the house works best for it, then use bluetooth to connect from handsets to the ideally placed cell phone. In cases like mine, where the neighborhood is the issue, I suspect this is no help.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
spartan112 wrote:I purchased the KX-TG7644M from Woot a few months ago and have really liked it.

Friends that have seen it really like it as well, mostly for the link-to-cell and how well it works. I'd like to recommend this to them, but just wanted to see if anyone knew of anywhere this model comes up short from the model I have given the lower price (other than not looking as cool). The link-to-cell will be pretty much the only thing used.

From what I can dig up, it seems like the model KX-TG7644M you bought has:

- talking alarm clock
- talking battery indicator
- choice mail
- full remote operation instead of just remote access
- memo recording
- base unit speakerphone
- 4 way as opposed to 3 way conferencing
- more granular volume control
- wall mountable
- any key answer

This phone currently sold by woot has:
- easy menu driven operations
- phonebook xfer from bluetooth
- iphone integration

Anyone know if this phone has the above features that I listed for KX-TG7644M?

For me, woot's S&H + tax would make it around $60, while a refurb KX-TG7644M is around $70, making that a much more tempting deal.

UncaAndoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UncaAndoo
VeeRay wrote:OK, I'll ask the dumb question to which I fear I already know the answer: if you live somewhere (like I do) where the cell reception is just not good, this won't help you out, right? It will let you leave your mobile wherever in the house works best for it, then use bluetooth to connect from handsets to the ideally placed cell phone. In cases like mine, where the neighborhood is the issue, I suspect this is no help.

Your suspicions are correct.

tscottme

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tscottme

You can use these Link-2-Cell cordless phones to connect a household alarm system to a cell phone making it wireless.

momrox1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momrox1

Sorry, I read all posts but I don't understand.... can I now use this system to replace my land line? Therefore I could use my cell# as my fax # as I do now with my land line?

Lucky13MN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lucky13MN
jthebird1977 wrote:Have been looking at cordless phones. I like the headset option. Anyone have experience with the link to cell feature?

It works great, thinking about getting this for extra handsets.

synimatik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages synimatik

I literally just bought a set a few weeks ago, slightly different model. The link to cell feature works very well. There are only two small complaints. 1. There is a slight pause when dialing out or answering the handset via link to cell. Once you get used to it, not a big deal really. 2. ANYTHING you want to set or set up is buried in this very weird menu system that you need the instruction book for.

All in all, it is a good buy. I bought them solely for the link to cell as I don't have a land line. Mine even has a mode that you can set it to for cell only. And, if you have a newer cell phone that supports blue tooth rings tones, it will push your ring tone through the handset instead of using the handsets ringtone.

banance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banance
synimatik wrote:I literally just bought a set a few weeks ago, slightly different model. The link to cell feature works very well. There are only two small complaints. 1. There is a slight pause when dialing out or answering the handset via link to cell. Once you get used to it, not a big deal really. 2. ANYTHING you want to set or set up is buried in this very weird menu system that you need the instruction book for.

All in all, it is a good buy. I bought them solely for the link to cell as I don't have a land line. Mine even has a mode that you can set it to for cell only. And, if you have a newer cell phone that supports blue tooth rings tones, it will push your ring tone through the handset instead of using the handsets ringtone.

Is the regular ring tone pretty average? I have some hearing loss and the last set I got has an usually quiet ring tone.

Patsycar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Patsycar

Works with the Ooma.

justmenan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmenan

I have a VOIP system. Can I put this phone system on either of them?

How does the system outward dial? Using cell minutes or VOIP/landline minutes?

Can you decide which connection you wish to use for outbound calls?

What about fax machine hookup?

Just wasting time!

ParadiseDave

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ParadiseDave
momrox1 wrote:Sorry, I read all posts but I don't understand.... can I now use this system to replace my land line? Therefore I could use my cell# as my fax # as I do now with my land line?

I have a similar question: The ONLY reason we still have landline is our old DVR which has to call in nightly to update. Does this phone system have a jack for a hard-wired device like FAX/DVR??? Can those devices dial out through this phone system, using cellular?

edit: I looked through the specs, and didn't see an RJ-11 jack listed. Does it have one?

edit2: I just searched the owner's manual, and the only result for RJ-11 is the jack to plug this device INTO your land line. Looks like it will not work with FAX or DVR.

mbood82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbood82

We have an older model with the link to cell feature, we use it with no home line but my wifes cell phone and my cell phone linked to it. It's convenient because you can have handsets all around the house making it easy to answer the phone even if you left your cell phone elsewhere.

If you don't have a home line it's honestly kind of gimmicky but it made my wife happy so it was worth spending $80 on the one we bought from BJs.

ddhst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddhst

Sorry if this has been addressed already but does anyone know whether each unit has speakerphone capability? BTW, I've owned a Panasonic for years and it is still going strong...

alexei27

quality posts: 9 Private Messages alexei27

I have this set. The link-to-cell works great. You can set it up with a different ring tone to let you know its a cellphone call. I guess if I had a complaint it would be that you can have only 1 cellphone "linked" at a time. You have to unlink one to use another. Otherwise its a really nice feature.

...tryin to reason with hurricane season...

alexei27

quality posts: 9 Private Messages alexei27
justmenan wrote:I have a VOIP system. Can I put this phone system on either of them?

How does the system outward dial? Using cell minutes or VOIP/landline minutes?

Can you decide which connection you wish to use for outbound calls?

What about fax machine hookup?

Yes...you can use VOIP. I have an Ooma box and this set works just fine. However I am not sure about having a choice of whice connection to use.

...tryin to reason with hurricane season...

rtfirefly

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rtfirefly

I use my cell phone mostly for texting. Can one send and receive texts through the cell phone using the Panasonic handsets?

justmenan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmenan
ddhst wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed already but does anyone know whether each unit has speakerphone capability? BTW, I've owned a Panasonic for years and it is still going strong...

According to this yes. http://cordless-phones.findthebest.com/l/93/Panasonic-KX-TG254SK

Just wasting time!