webyourstuff

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webyourstuff

Some reviews I've been reading say there is no quick dial. Anyone know if this is true?

Can you say "deal breaker"?

cohocarl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cohocarl

I returned a Panasonic "link to cell" system to Amazon due to the fact the answering machine will ONLY WORK WITH A LANDLINE!!!! The answering machine will not answer/record a call coming in on the linked cell phone.
The "link to cell" feature worked fine, and it was a very nice, feature packed phone, but I returned it and ordered a Cobra PhoneLynx which works great.

donaldktsang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages donaldktsang
VeeRay wrote:if you live somewhere (like I do) where the cell reception is just not good, this won't help you out, right?

Right. You may want to look into a micro-cell. These are units that plug into your broadband Internet router (DSL, cable, etc) and create their own cell signal within a hundred feet or so. Got mine (3G GSM) years ago from AT&T for about $250.

justmenan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmenan
webyourstuff wrote:Some reviews I've been reading say there is no quick dial. Anyone know if this is true?

Can you say "deal breaker"?

Says there is no speed dial. You use your cell phone contacts I guess.

Just wasting time!

martyg111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martyg111

Does anyone know if the answering machine part of the system, when used with a land line, actually stores the messages on-board, or does it require a service from your phone provider? I bought another system from an Amazon 3rd party vendor that only had answering machine CONTROLS, which are now useless paperweights.

kidsandliz

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kidsandliz
ddhst wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed already but does anyone know whether each unit has speakerphone capability? BTW, I've owned a Panasonic for years and it is still going strong...

Yes you have a button on each phone to turn on speaker phone.

kidsandliz

martyg111 wrote:Does anyone know if the answering machine part of the system, when used with a land line, actually stores the messages on-board, or does it require a service from your phone provider? I bought another system from an Amazon 3rd party vendor that only had answering machine CONTROLS, which are now useless paperweights.

This is an "old fashioned" answering machine. It stores messages in the base unit. If your power is out for too long you will lose all the messages unless something has changed with this model. If I recall correctly you have about 20 -30 mins of recording time for messages. You can, if you want, limit the length of message anyone can leave. As I have a teen I have set message length to 2 minutes.

You can listen to the messages from any headset. I find the volume is louder from the headsets than from the base for listening to messages.

kidsandliz

justmenan wrote:Says there is no speed dial. You use your cell phone contacts I guess.

But if you enter the numbers in the directory you scroll the directory and then hit talk and it dials... It also does when you scroll through who called - hit talk and it dials that person.

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

We have a VTech cordless phone system which we really like - especially for its durability.

BUT, we find its 'link to cell' feature does not always automatically pair with our cell phones when we enter the house. We often need to poke it from our cell phones to force it to auto-re-pair.

Does anybody have experience with the Panasonic always/consistently automatically pairing with your cell phones when you enter the house?

(BTW, yes, we did the initial pairing successfully and are within 20-25 feet of the base when we enter the house.)

kidsandliz

I have an older version of this phone. I bought it because there is no click when someone picks up the extension (does say conference call on the units in use though) and I had a teen whom I sometimes needed to hear what she was up to (kid sneaks out windows at night) when I'd hear enough of her end of a conversation that I was suspicious that there were after hours "plans". Because there is no click this might be a deal breaker for some people.

The head sets survive a lot of abuse. My kid has been known to throw phones when mad. While I have had to ducktape the battery compartment cover on one phone (I have had these 3 or 4 years so these are older models) the other two are going strong.

The AAA battery use means that it is cheap. Two batteries last about a year with fairly heavy use (kid has no cell phone due to chronic sneaking and texting is used to sneak). I have 750 -1000 mah ones in the various phones and don't see all that much difference in time to replace the batteries

There is no warning that the batteries have reached their useful life, rather instead of getting around 6 or 7 hours of talking on one charge you start to get umm maybe an hour or two.

Oh power outage tip - get an adapter to plug into your car lighter and then plug in the base station and park one phone in the base station to that. Then all your stuff is preserved. If the phone cord reaches you will still have phone service, otherwise you need a "dumb" (eg not battery one) to use during a power outage.

bluemaple

ThunderThighs wrote:Well, I'm guessing they're related somehow because the manual lists them all on the front page. If you look at page 4, it looks like the 254SK is the 4 handset model for some odd reason.

What do you think?

@ThunderThighs, I believe the general functionality on all the models listed is very similar. The base appears to be different.

254(Woot)/773 models have a basic answering machine base.

774 models have a nicer speakerphone with keypad answering machine base.

If you always use the handsets you'll never know the difference. (The one gotcha - if you are prone to "misplacing" (I call it losing) your handsets, the base will always be there to make/receive a call! ;-)

The last numeral in the full model number does appear to be number of handsets, handsets which are all the same across all models listed in the manual.

BTW, for those wanting more than 4 handsets, this Woot base appears to support 6 handsets.

(Buy two Woot's and have a couple spares since it seems like the handsets take the most abuse... And the handsets have an MSRP of $39 each)

sundowner8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sundowner8

I read the manual and didn't see this addressed anywhere. Maybe someone with the unit can help me out. If you get an incoming call on your cell phone, will this unit ring your other connected home phones in addition to the Panasonic phones? Thanks

martyg111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martyg111
kidsandliz wrote:This is an "old fashioned" answering machine. It stores messages in the base unit. If your power is out for too long you will lose all the messages unless something has changed with this model. If I recall correctly you have about 20 -30 mins of recording time for messages. You can, if you want, limit the length of message anyone can leave. As I have a teen I have set message length to 2 minutes.

You can listen to the messages from any headset. I find the volume is louder from the headsets than from the base for listening to messages.

Thanks for the great answer! I am in for a set!

Niklasmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Niklasmama

Do you have to have a LANDLINE number to use this? We have not had a landline in years and Soitenly! one.

bluemaple

justmenan wrote:

I have a VOIP system. Can I put this phone system on either of them?

How does the system outward dial? Using cell minutes or VOIP/landline minutes?

Can you decide which connection you wish to use for outbound calls?

What about fax machine hookup?

alexei27 wrote:Yes...you can use VOIP. I have an Ooma box and this set works just fine. However I am not sure about having a choice of whice connection to use.

@justmenan, while you can select whether to use cell or landline outbound calls, I am not a fan of the way it s implemented on this Panasonic.

A lot of cell-capable cordless systems have dedicated buttons on each handset to choose which way to call outbound.

This Panasonic defaults to landline but has a "soft" button under the display to call out using your cell phone.

See the pic on p.14 of the manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/KXTG7731-MUL.PDF

(BTW, I have Ooma and it pretty much doesn't care what cordless (or wired, assuming it isn't an old rotary phone!) landline phone system you use.)

Calling minutes get charged to whatever line you selected to make the call.

Fax machine is a separate issue from this phone - not related since you'd use a splitter from radio shack or swap wires when needed. Ooma + faxing is its own topic.

bluemaple

sundowner8 wrote:I read the manual and didn't see this addressed anywhere. Maybe someone with the unit can help me out. If you get an incoming call on your cell phone, will this unit ring your other connected home phones in addition to the Panasonic phones? Thanks

No. Your other home phones have no way of knowing that this Panasonic is paired to your cell phone.

bluemaple

Niklasmama wrote:Do you have to have a LANDLINE number to use this? We have not had a landline in years and Soitenly! one.

@Niklasmama, Nope. And several posters above are using it exactly that way - to provide extensions in their house whilst leaving their cell phones charging on the desk. They do not have landlines either.

fast45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fast45

These are refurbished. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of the products sold as such?

posti

quality posts: 1 Private Messages posti

I have an earlier model (about a year old or so) with 4 handsets and the Bluetooth feature. It works well, and I like the caller ID announcement feature. I have both a land line (OK, I'm a dinosaur) and an iPhone (but a 'hip' dinosaur), and the iPhone connected with no issues and transferred its internal phonebook to the Panasonic. The handsets work well, and the answering portion is clear and easy to use. The multiple wireless handsets let me put phones aournd the house with a single connection - also in the garage.

gaymoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gaymoore

I have been using Panasonic for over 20 years now. Every time I have tried any other brand... ATT/GE/Uniden/VTECH ... I have returned them. As several have mentioned, my experience is that they are rugged, feature rich, excellent sound and range. Some comments I think are using the "headset" when they mean "handset". These do have "headset" connection. When I had to be on calls that lasted for hours... I clipped the handset to my waistband, plugged in a headset, and went about other business while on the conference ... like making lunch... I would definitely recommend. The cell link is also excellent.

nic walker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nic walker

HELP PLEASE ! Hi Folks. I am completely confused - Completely. Actually simple Electronics and Technology just plain ole confuses me. My batteries on my old Panasonic are giving out so I am due for new bateries or a new phone system - The phone system hee seems to be just what the Doc ordered if I am reading all of the comments correctly. The comments written on the pages seem to go back and forth from diferent models and this is what flat out confused me. The features I need the most ar:
speaker phone
blue from cell to the system and visa versa
alarm
good distance
4 phones or 3 h/sets & 1 base
function that tells wh is calling

Please verify tht THE PHONE OFFERED IN THIS WOOT AD has these features Pleeeeeeease? I rally appreciate any help and apologize for my silliness and stupidity.

Thanks,

Nic

nic walker

nic walker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nic walker

Opps and I forgot one feature - I think I did read that THe system offered in THIS ad does work with the OOMA VOLP system - Did I read right please? Sorry to be a goofy pest and thanks again,

Nic

nic walker

bluesuga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluesuga

i found the answer thanks anyway

rudybrule

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rudybrule

this is an old model. it is no longer listed on panasonics cell phone compatability chart.

bluemaple

rudybrule wrote:this is an old model. it is no longer listed on panasonics cell phone compatability chart.

@rudybrule, it can't be too old since it is currently listed as a 2013 model by Panasonic:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/KX-TG254SK?t=overview

But Panasonic is really horrible about managing the details on their site - like comparisons, compatibility, etc...

rudybrule

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rudybrule

the panasonic compatability chart does not list kx=tg254sk so I could find no information on what cell phones are compatible with the Kt-tg254sk.

bluemaple

rudybrule wrote:the panasonic compatability chart does not list kx=tg254sk so I could find no information on what cell phones are compatible with the Kt-tg254sk.

@rudybrule, look at the table on page 2 of the manual - it shows that the base and handsets for this Woot is the same as the other models listed in that table. Hopefully you can find your cell phone in the compatibility table using one of those other Panasonic model numbers.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/KXTG7731-MUL.PDF

tadpole415

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tadpole415

Please clarify if "works great" means you have successfully configured Cobra PhoneLynx to an answering machine which DOES take cell phone call messages? ...or did you, with a lower priced device, then settle for cell call connectivity (only)?
I connected another Bluetooth I/F device ahead of Panasonic link-to-cell (trying to fake it out) but its answering machine continued to ignore incoming cell phone calls... perhaps my mistake was in continuing to use answering machine designed to filter cell phone calls (which, obviously, could still be detected).

[after multiple attempts, 2 different browsers, to rely to message, now figure I have to post without quote. Strange woot I/F, I now suspect... after blaming Skyfire... but Boat browser, too? 'Doubt it...]

rgm3801

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgm3801

Are the answering machine functions available from the handsets? Can't tell from the picture.

cprimrose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cprimrose
fast45 wrote:These are refurbished. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of the products sold as such?

They are horrible. I was told I had to figure out what was wrong with a handset that didn't work. It took a while and I pinned it down to one handset. They said it was no longer under warranty. Woot said 90 days, they said it was over 45 days and it was really 28 days. What a pain. No more Panasonics for me.

rtfirefly

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rtfirefly
gaymoore wrote:I have been using Panasonic for over 20 years now. Every time I have tried any other brand... ATT/GE/Uniden/VTECH ... I have returned them.

Different experience here. Right now, we've got two cordless systems operating on our landline: a VTech set that's about 2 years old and holding up just fine, and a Uniden set that must be five or six years old now, and the only way you'd notice is that the feature set is clearly ~2007-vintage. The Uniden handsets have a nice feel to them, too. Each set has 3-4 phones on it at different places around the house.

cohocarl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cohocarl
tadpole415 wrote:Please clarify if "works great" means you have successfully configured Cobra PhoneLynx to an answering machine which DOES take cell phone call messages? ...or did you, with a lower priced device, then settle for cell call connectivity (only)?
I connected another Bluetooth I/F device ahead of Panasonic link-to-cell (trying to fake it out) but its answering machine continued to ignore incoming cell phone calls... perhaps my mistake was in continuing to use answering machine designed to filter cell phone calls (which, obviously, could still be detected).

I have not had a landline in years. I have one cell phone bluetooth'd to a Cobra PhoneLynx which is connected by phone jack to a Uniden answering machine/cordless phone system. When a call comes in on that cell phone, the Uniden answering machine will activate and record the message if we do not pick up on one of the cordless phones.
I assumed the Panasonic "link to cell" would operate the same, although the Panny's answering machine WILL NOT activate on an incoming cell call. So unless you have a landline, you'd be foolish to pay for a built in answering machine.
Bottom line.....The "link to cell" feature on the Panny is a joke. If you come home, link your cell phone to the Panny so you can use it's cordless phone, why not just carry the cell phone with you and have voicemail on the cell. I have a dedicated cell phone & number ($10/mo) that I leave plugged in to it's charger, & bluetoothed to the PhoneLynx all the time. (voicemail disabled on the cell). That way my wife (who is tech challenged) and my young boy can operate the Uniden cordless phones as normal, and a regular answering machine on the wall. Works fine for us.
If the Panny would allow the answering machine to function through the Bluetooth connected cell phone, I'd still have it.

The Panny phone was a real nice unit.

Oh ya, almost forgot....With the Cobra PhoneLynx, IF YOUR HOME IS PHYSICALLY DISCONNECTED FROM THE LANDLINE, you can plug the output jack from it into a wall jack and use any other outlet in the house like normal.

bluemaple

General Observations about cordless phone brands...

- Single user results while valid, don't carry the weight of multiple user experience.

- An easy admittedly unscientific, but interesting survey using Amazon user ratings: Go to the cordless phone page, individually select each brand and scan the star ratings across models...

1) Panasonic comes up with the most consistently 4+ star ratings.

2) Uniden/VTech/AT&T (actually I think AT&T is made by VTech) come up consistently 4 star, sometimes 3.5.

3) Followed by Motorola with 3-4 stars.

You can have a great or poor experience with any of the major brands depending on how good a match it is to your needs.

We plug all our electronics into surge protectors and it seems to result in longer, happier lives for them and us.

VeeRay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeeRay
donaldktsang wrote:Right. You may want to look into a micro-cell. These are units that plug into your broadband Internet router (DSL, cable, etc) and create their own cell signal within a hundred feet or so. Got mine (3G GSM) years ago from AT&T for about $250.

Thanks to you both (this poster and the prior respondent). I looked at the idea of a microcell a while back but frankly forgot about it, hoping service would just get better - I live in a real city, for crying out loud.

simplyaok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simplyaok

I purchased the Panasonic 3 Handset Phone back in Oct from Woot. Model # KX-TG4023N for 34.99 which included shipping. I mean really? How can you go wrong with that? Fabulous phone system. It might not have all the bells and whistles as newer Models but I LOVE IT.. I love WOOT!!!!

jthebird1977

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jthebird1977
jthebird1977 wrote:Have been looking at cordless phones. I like the headset option. Anyone have experience with the link to cell feature?

Thanks everyone for your input. I've weighed the pros and cons and decided to go for it. We have spotty cell service in our house, but decent at a couple of windows. This should work well for us.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

jthebird1977

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jthebird1977
ThunderThighs wrote:Well, I'm guessing they're related somehow because the manual lists them all on the front page. If you look at page 4, it looks like the 254SK is the 4 handset model for some odd reason.

What do you think?

Touche... Not once did i think to open the manual pdf and read...*jay sheepishly slinks away*

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

sacjeanie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sacjeanie
jthebird1977 wrote:Have been looking at cordless phones. I like the headset option. Anyone have experience with the link to cell feature?

I actually own this phone set and I particularly like the cell phone feature. The cell phone rings first and then the house phone picks it up two rings later. It takes a few extra seconds to connect to the cell phone, but I sure like talking on this phone handset over my cell phone. It's clearer. The cell phone does not go to the answering machine.

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga
sdc100 wrote:THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for this correction!!!

Glad to have been of help.

lwang wrote:From what I can dig up, it seems like the model KX-TG7644M you bought has:

One more thing the KX-TG764x models have that this one does NOT:
- having a charged handset on the base can power the base unit during a power outage.

VeeRay wrote:I looked at the idea of a microcell a while back but frankly forgot about it, hoping service would just get better - I live in a real city, for crying out loud.

FWIW, I have the same issue as you (very poor cell coverage at home). This helped - when I had a "good" spot to receive cell signal, but then I moved to another nearby unit and ended up with no more "good" spots.

After a few complaints to AT&T that had little to no effect, I finally lost it when my wife called me with an emergency and I couldn't understand what she was saying.

Luckily it wasn't a huge emergency, and luckily I got an understanding agent that walked me through the costs and rebates for a microcell (aka femtocell) and at the end of the day it costs me $20 net (after cost, rebate, bill credit and required monthly service). The only problem is if I clog my upstream Internet connection my callers say I get choppy, but that makes sense since a microcell is essentially VoIP.

Weatherman66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Weatherman66

We seldom use our land-line phone; we are with Verizon and we still pay for it even though we don't use it, but people still call us. Here's my dumb question... assuming this is a land line phone and not just a cell-phone 'repeater', is it possible to answer calls or retrieve messages to the land line number with a cell phone? How many cell phones can use any of the features of this phone?

Weatherman66